Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Sarries game
Discussion started by Chief Fire Water (IP Logged), 13 September, 2020 19:46
goss8800
Chief Fire Water
13 September, 2020 19:46
I don't think many of us where surprised with the result today. But I thought there where plenty of plus points to the game. I thought Snow and Petich played well and could be a couple of players to keep any eye.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2020 19:46 by Chief Fire Water.

clalan
clalan
13 September, 2020 20:14
Plenty of good things learned, even tho they were a Sarries 2nd team, it showed they have played a lot more together this season, well done to them, their power game just to much for us.
Snow came through with best performance and will be a cracking 9. We did some good stuff then spoiled it by over exuberance like going over top after turning over etc.

Lots of promise, bragging rights still with us as our 1st beat theirs. But Sarries must be pleased with the signing they've brought in.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief
13 September, 2020 20:56
Some signs of promise but dissapointing that the winning streak has come to an end, was expecting a tighter match as well but still, results elsewhere mean we have a home semi to look forward to so smiling smiley.

Zyder head
Zyder head
13 September, 2020 21:18
Salaries outmuscled us, it really was men against boys for most of the game.
Lots of plus points but a steep learning curve with a lot to learn from some of the lads and we did make a lot of basic errors and not all of them were forced or by the inexperienced young lads.
It had no bearing on the result as we were always second best but I personally found some of the officiating really shoddy, not just the man in the middle but between all four them. It makes a big difference when you can hear all the conversations when there is no crowd noise.
Just as well it wasn't a game with anything riding on it.

Currychief
Currychief
13 September, 2020 21:55
Zyder head +1
Couldn’t put it better myself. Well deserved win but agree totally about some decisions

Exeforever
Exeforever
13 September, 2020 22:07
That wasn't "Storm v Braves". We had 3 fringe first team players: Dolly, Don and Sean Lonsdale, 4 pretty well debutants: Hodge, Witty, Price, Baldwin, and the bench from our second team against Bristol and Northampton as starters. The rest were University/Academy players (bar Dave Dennis). This was a team cobbled together to play an irrelevant fixture whilst preserving the players who will be needed in the European game(s) and the Premiership knock out games from having to risk injury in a game with no possible positive outcome. That is the reality that COVID has landed on us and to read anything into the performance or result is utterly meaningless (IMO of course).

OldMarovian
OldMarovian
13 September, 2020 22:22
Quote:
Zyder head
It had no bearing on the result as we were always second best but I personally found some of the officiating really shoddy, not just the man in the middle but between all four them.

I pressume you mean the 9 or 10 Chiefs penalties in a row including 6 in ten minutes and 3 in the 22 that didn't result in a card? or maybe the Chiefs try awarded with Creans hand obviously underneath it? or was it something else?

I think Chiefs would have found that incredibly painful with less "shoddy" refereeing so I agree with you there.

Currychief
Currychief
13 September, 2020 22:49
I was expecting that, but doubt that was what was being suggested.....

MESSAGES->author
ouch!_that_hurts
14 September, 2020 09:53
I don't really like to comment on referees because

(a) it's not a job I'd want to do;
(b) they know the laws (or at least, the current interpretation of them) far better than I do;
(c) I'll always be judging their decisions on how they effect my team; and
(d) they're human, they make mistakes.

However, when he shouts "Saracens, arrive on your feet" at a breakdown, the implication to me is that they aren't - therefore why doesn't he penalise them?

Maybe Exeter were doing the same things but I didn't hear him shouting warnings to them.

cornwallchief
cornwallchief
14 September, 2020 10:55
Regardless of arguable ref injustices, which occur
every match and for the most part are evenly spread between teams the Chiefs were well beaten by a much stronger side who knew their game plan and executed it well. The line speed and tackling was especially destructive. Not unexpected and Snow played well; he joins a long queue of promising scrum halves. When the Chiefs got some ball and pressure they converted it well and kept battling till the end. Well done Sarries - our youngsters will have benefited from the experience although they were seriously outmuscled in the second half. For some age and muscle was the difference.

matt2fat
matt2fat
14 September, 2020 11:24
I personally thought Adam Leal did a great job (however much it pains me to admit it!) Hopefully he’ll continue to grow as a referee as he gets more fixtures- but I think he has potential to be one of the top in the league.

Cordero’s defence was incredible today- he chased every single kick as hard as he could and made the tackle every time. Shame we couldn’t see him with ball in hand more but I cannot fault his work rate. Hinkley looked lively off the bench too, looking forward to seeing more of him. All in all there’s a lot to learn, and a lot of positives to take away.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
14 September, 2020 14:21
Agree with most of what has been said, some positives but also I think it identified that some players are just not ready (or ever will be) to compete at the highest level. Hinckley impressed a lot when he came on, Snow showed some good touches but needs to reign in his enthusiasm a bit, sniping breaks are frowned upon by the coaches, it is not part of the game plan as they too often result in a turnover. Entertaining game to watch though.

MESSAGES->author
Lowerwatha
14 September, 2020 14:45
We were still in it at halftime but they upped their game after the break and lack of experience and the heat took their toll. Thought the starting front row did well and Cordero, Baldwin and Hinkley show promise.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
14 September, 2020 17:55
Quote:
Lowerwatha
We were still in it at halftime but they upped their game after the break and lack of experience and the heat took their toll. Thought the starting front row did well and Cordero, Baldwin and Hinkley show promise.

The props did well but our hooker struggled a lot and was always under pressure

OldMarovian
OldMarovian
14 September, 2020 19:40
Quote:
matt2fat
Cordero’s defence was incredible today- he chased every single kick as hard as he could and made the tackle every time.

Chiefs box-kicking/chase was incredibly good. I'm not sure if it was a change in tactic or just execution but it was spot on with Saracens players being hit as they got the ball much of the time.

Agree with the above that Joe Snow looks something special.

Master Chief
Master Chief
14 September, 2020 21:44
Agree that Snow, Baldwin, Hinkley and Cordero look real good players. Hopefully see a few of them knocking on the first team door next season. Snow was the best player on the pitch for me.

Contrary to what others have said above I actually thought we had a more experienced pack starting the game and didn’t expect them to get outmuscled they way they did...

I hope Hinkley can force his way past the likes of Lonsdale who never seems to win any collisions. Meanwhile, I will be honest and say the likes of Armand and Dennis are starting to look their age, while I can’t see Price ever getting near the first team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net