Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

European QF
Discussion started by Exeforever (IP Logged), 14 September, 2020 23:18
Exeforever
Exeforever
14 September, 2020 23:18

From the BBC

So now a European QF is likely to be totally devalued by PRL's/EPRC's idiotic decisions to play the season out come what may. As I have commented on another thread we should just have accepted the inevitable in March. Leinster should be European Champions and we should be domestic Champions and we should be playing the early rounds of the 20/21 season not fiddle ar$ing about with the entrails of the 19/20 season.

What aspect of any of our real lives is still as it was pre COVID?

Why should sport imagine that it is in some way above the normal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2020 23:28 by Exeforever.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief
15 September, 2020 10:26
I'm half with you in that I would have had the Premiership go straight to playoffs and even with the European competitions getting played out in full after that, the season would have been over by now.

However it ultimately came down to ££££. There were concerns that some Prem clubs were going to fold without TV money.

Shy Ann
Shy Ann
15 September, 2020 10:31
Don't know about that. Really enjoyed it being back on the box and no doubt the players have also enjoyed playing again. This flu thing is here to stay (anyone found a cure for a cold yet?) so surely we just get on with life and take sensible measures where needed.

MESSAGES->author
Matthew
15 September, 2020 13:53
Personally Iím chuckling at the implication that without this weíd be scrummaging competitively.

This weekend already had more than a sniff of a cricket score about it; this just makes that smell even stronger!

Too early to congratulate you on your place in the semis? Good luck with the rest of the competition - it would be nice to have a different winner!

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

MESSAGES->author
Thomas Hawk
15 September, 2020 20:01
Quote:
Matthew
This weekend already had more than a sniff of a cricket score about it; this just makes that smell even stronger!
Too early to congratulate you on your place in the semis? Good luck with the rest of the competition - it would be nice to have a different winner!

Historically Europe hasn't been our friend so yes, really, lets not go assuming on who will be the victor until the final whistle is blown, regrettably I am working on Sunday but will most definitely be listening along.

Saints have nothing to lose and everything to win which in my book makes them more dangerous than anyone we could face, especially considering the result a few weeks ago. This will need Chiefs to be on top of their game to come through as I strongly suspect we will see a completely different Saints this weekend.

Hope all of you Saints stay safe and enjoy what we all hope will be a fantastic game smileys with beer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2020 20:04 by Thomas Hawk.

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
15 September, 2020 20:05
Iím under no illusions that this will be a straightforward result. As you say TH Europe hasnít been a very happy hunting ground for us but Iím hopeful we can overcome this hurdle.
Incidentally TH the games on Sunday so your good to watch!

I drink and forget stuff!

MESSAGES->author
Thomas Hawk
15 September, 2020 20:19
Quote:
Jehovas Sandals
Iím under no illusions that this will be a straightforward result. As you say TH Europe hasnít been a very happy hunting ground for us but Iím hopeful we can overcome this hurdle.
Incidentally TH the games on Sunday so your good to watch!

Yep just realised after I wrote that. But am working on Sunday too.. So no its going to be Radio Devon for me.

cornwallchief
cornwallchief
15 September, 2020 20:44
Apologies if already posted. REF for our game is Matthew Carley, ass Luke Pearce and Tom Foley. I suspect there will be a lot of penalties - I wish we had Wayne Barnes as it would be a better watch.

ExTeddChief
ExTeddChief
15 September, 2020 22:57
Yeah...pretty sure SAints have won this competition(circa 2000?) at some point in their history and yet we've only made one quarter final previously and lost that one! Even having a home quarter final means we've made history, let's not take anything for granted!

Garnett
Garnett
16 September, 2020 09:56
Sorry but this comment is really not right.

I was one of the lucky members to get a call from a player during lockdown. He spent 45 minutes talking to me.

If we did as you suggest and ended the season in March we would be restarting with a maximum of 8 teams in the premiership. The contract with BT and Sky requires the club to complete the season in both cups before we are paid. Exeter could survive but at least 4 clubs would fold. So 150 players redundant and a collapse in the professional game. BT and Sky actually suspended payments because we weren't playing.

In this context do you still think that the decision was idiotic?

I don't think they had any choice.

Garnett

MESSAGES->author
Tribester
16 September, 2020 13:53
I'm looking forward to the game. We had some great wins over them at the end of last season, the last round fixture then the semi at Sandy Park, where the place was rocking.

Saints are definitely missing Cobas but Biggar is right on form to get them going.
But Saints issue with LHP is a real problem. We should have an advantage against their young fit prop, but if he has to go off, with no replacement available, whilst they would have to drop down to 14 players on the pitch, uncontested scrums takes away several aspects of our game too, apart from looking lame. Scrum penalties to gain territory and drive on from there, making their 2nd rows work hard in the scrums to maybe make gaps elsewhere later on, penalises us too.

Lets hope they or EPCP can sort something.

tboullem
Aberavon Wizard
16 September, 2020 21:59
Hi Chiefs

If reports are correct, Chris Boyd has been unable to get any concession from EPRC that will allow Saints to beg, steal or borrow a loosehead prop from any source. Thus with Van Wyk, Auterac, Waller and Hobbs all injured long term, we have a nineteen year old available at number one and he has played one game as a replacement last sunday. One sniff of another injury and it will uncontested scrums and fourteen against fifteen. All well and good for Chiefs European campaign and the best of luck to you all but hardly the spectacle that should be a quarter final tie. In all honesty, Saints form is such that most of us would have expected a good whooping on sunday whatever team we put out at Sandy Park though we have had some remarkable away victories in Europe in the last few years, Leinster and Ulster to name but two. One cannot help but wonder what goes through the mind of the EPRC, we are not trying to find a world class prop for our last three games of the season, just a capable player, maybe at Championship level, who at least can help us give you a game - they are clearly not interested in player welfare. Lets see what happens before sunday !

Exeforever
Exeforever
16 September, 2020 22:49
I don't think there is one real Exeter supporter that wants to see anything other than a XV v XV full on game.

I played at the level where you'd lend the opposition 2 or 3 players just to get a game (and they'd give of their best for the side to which they had been lent). Whilst I don't think that is practical at European QF level it seems ridiculous that, in the current situation, they won't consider a medical joker.

cornwallchief
cornwallchief
17 September, 2020 12:11
Quote:
Exeforever
I don't think there is one real Exeter supporter that wants to see anything other than a XV v XV full on game.
I played at the level where you'd lend the opposition 2 or 3 players just to get a game (and they'd give of their best for the side to which they had been lent). Whilst I don't think that is practical at European QF level it seems ridiculous that, in the current situation, they won't consider a medical joker.
Ruling is that Saints are allowed a loan of loose head prop -from Gloucs - Alex Seville - so XV v XV as it should be. Sensible ruling and well done Gloucs.

dwhite805
dwhite805
17 September, 2020 14:41
He's a promising young (recent England under 20) prop. Should be good experiance fot the pair of them up against some gnarled verterans.

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint
18 September, 2020 10:43
Glad to see common sense prevailed albeit it would have been useful for the wheels to have turned a bit quicker to allow him an extra day or two to train with us. I'd also be even more p*ssed off if I was a Newcastle fan given they weren't given any leeway a few seasons back.

Still not hopeful of anything but a cricket score I'm afraid, I don't think our win in 2000 will help a huge amount on Sunday! I just want to see a better performance from Saints and hope neither young prop gets injured so they can take away the experience of playing at that level albeit without the crowd noise.

MESSAGES->author
Toomanychiefs
19 September, 2020 18:29
Plenty of social distancing going on at Clermont!! (Sm22)
5000 allowed in the ground all sat next to each other by the look of things. How does that work then!?

Zyder head
Zyder head
19 September, 2020 19:34
Quote:
Toomanychiefs
Plenty of social distancing going on at Clermont!! (Sm22) 5000 allowed in the ground all sat next to each other by the look of things. How does that work then!?

The most worrying thing could be Romains cough.....

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
19 September, 2020 23:46
Quote:
Zyder head
Quote:
Toomanychiefs
Plenty of social distancing going on at Clermont!! (Sm22) 5000 allowed in the ground all sat next to each other by the look of things. How does that work then!?

The most worrying thing could be Romains cough.....

Sirs cough was as good as any twenty a day smoker!
The commentators did say he had been tested just like the players are and was negative.
Iím guessing the restrictions in France must be a lot easier than here......canít believe Iím saying this but how good would it be to have 5k fans at SP tomorrow! I know TR said he would need 10k punters in to break even..... if I was still a Steward Iíd do it for free!

I drink and forget stuff!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net