Latest news:

..... .... Go Well Go Hard Go Chiefs ...... the fun continues .......

Welcome to The Tribe, web site for Exeter Chiefs Fans, PLEASE ensure you credit your sources when posting information you've read elsewhere, and preferably post a link to the original material (if found electronically), Thanks....Opinions expressed on these messageboards are those of individuals and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editors. This site is run independently of all external organisations, and readers and posters are referred to the Exeter Chiefs Official website for their views. Any hyperlink will be removed at the request of the original site owner

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Toulouse
Discussion started by HUGHVILLE (IP Logged), 20 September, 2020 15:22
HUGHVILLE
HUGHVILLE
20 September, 2020 15:22
I have just watched the fire power Toulouse have just released on Ulster. If we as expected beat Saints today we will have our hands more than full. Hope Toulouse suffer from the French problem of not travelling well

Jehovas Sandals
Jehovas Sandals
20 September, 2020 15:28
I watched it too and yes if you allow them ball and space they are very capable of punishing you.....however I did think that we are more than capable of beating them.....letís see what happens v Saints and then worry about them

I drink and forget stuff!

clalan
clalan
20 September, 2020 15:58
Think yesterdays Sarries result and todays shows how off the pace the pro 14 are. The French will always be a stern test, but we are up to the task imho.

MESSAGES->author
DumnoniiNomad
20 September, 2020 16:24
I feel Ulster lost as much as Toulouse lost. Their handling let them down with coughing up the ball after several very good phases and metres made. IMHO the score flatters Toulouse, but that they deserved to win is indisputable. Some very big hits and chances taken very well. Give them space and they'll punish whoever they come up against. COYC!!

dan1978
dan1978
20 September, 2020 20:13
nothing less than a 9/10 performance from every player will be needed to beat Toulouse and I feel sorry for whoever will be up against Kolbe!

clalan
clalan
20 September, 2020 20:25
I agree with Rob, we will not have the favorites monkey on our backs against a good side like Toulouse. Today Saints had everything to gain and nothing to lose, and played their best since the restart.
Our lineout hasn't functioned for a while now we will need to get this sorted, any rustiness will be gone, so bring on the French.

emohawk
emohawk
22 September, 2020 10:14
Toulouse have a big pack but we are more athletic and can move them around for 80 mins and hopefully win the game in the latter stages. Need a strong defensive display like the Sarries home game and improve the lineout.

clalan
clalan
22 September, 2020 13:14
Line out is by far the biggest worry, it hasnít functioned for a while now, we just excelled in other areas to make up for it.
Against top teams you need all your components working.
But Ali and Rob rarely get it wrong with preparation, itís then up to the players who are quite able to beat anybody.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
22 September, 2020 15:22
Lineout seems to work when we throw to the front or middle, but every time we throw long we lose it, so, why throw the damn thing long all the time !!!! Given our game plan is all about possession, no matter what, surely the priority is to just win the lineout then work from there.

Master Chief
Master Chief
22 September, 2020 18:05
Agree. Secure the ball and try see if we can eek any penalties from the rolling maul. If not then get it out quicker. Ball to the back is ok but not every time and not a rolling maul over the 15. Hopefully the coaches will have picked up on this from the Saints game.

On a separate note, 9. Maunder has played well, his service is pretty good. But he doesnít influence a game like you want your 9 to do. Does the Toulouse game merit a start for Hidalgo-Clyde? i.e. experience of big games. He also adds an extra threat around the breakdown. Watching Ben Spencer play tonight again he bosses his pack around the park and controls the game (plus his good distribution, kicking and running).. He has a massive influence on a game, as a 9 should do. For me a big shame we didnít sign him, but I can imagine the coaches saw something in Hidalgo-Clyne they liked. He was the next best thing when he came through at Edinburgh so maybe they think he has the talent to be a top top player. The semi would be a good game to see!!...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2020 18:21 by Master Chief.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
22 September, 2020 19:02
I respect your opinion Master Chief but Iím sure you wonít be surprised that I have a different view re our 9 situation. Maunder gets the nod because he doesnít do the flashy, eye catching stuff, our game is incredibly well structured, players know exactly what to expect and what to do, his service to either the forwards or fly half is as instructed. As the BT sport commentators said the other day about Faf De Clerk, great player but whilst he does things the opposition arenít expecting, too often his own team donít know what he is going to do, this usually results in a loss of possession. Our game does not revolve around the 9 like some other teams, our game is far more team based than that. Small point, but weíve hardly ever lost when Jack has started.

Master Chief
Master Chief
22 September, 2020 19:27
And I respect yours too Broken Arrow. I like to hear different opinions and different sides of the argument. I actually think Maunder is a pretty good player, especially his passing and defence in particular. I just canít but feel looking at other teams, like this newfound Bath with Spencer, that they have 9s that boss the game/ team a little more. Yes we play a team game but I wonder for the big games if we need a more vocal 9 which controls the game. My point was more to whether Hidalgo-Clyde has the potential to be better than the likes of Spencer.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
22 September, 2020 19:48
It would be fantastic if Sam HC did as you say, but I canít help thinking there must be a reason why he has not been able to secure a starting slot in any of his last 6 teams ? I havenít seen anything yet that suggests he fits the role Chiefs look for. If he wasnít injured I suspect Sam Maunder may have appeared on the bench for a few games. At the end of the day, we all have our favourites but Chiefs winning games is the only thing that really matters, whoever is on the pitch.

Master Chief
Master Chief
22 September, 2020 22:05
I canít disagree with that.

I do think SHCís passing needs improvement.. itís a bit erratic in terms of placement. But hopefully thatís something Pellow can help him improve. A run of games starting could also improve his confidence and bring out his ability to be a leader on the pitch.

Ben Spencer is a missed opportunity for me. He has to be Englandís starting 9. Quality passing, great box kick, vocal, quick and good running lines.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
23 September, 2020 05:58
Re Spencer, I agree he is very talented, but would his style of play suit Chiefs, I donít think so, as Iíve said before, our Coaches would stop that free running side to his game. With regards to Sam HC, I read recently that over self confidence has actually been one of his issues with other clubs.

clalan
clalan
23 September, 2020 07:12
I think that the coaches do not stop the freedom some people play with, just make them think before doing something stupid. There have been plenty of cases this season where players have taken the initiative and in free flowing runs scored tries.
We need another play maker, and unlike earlier in the season I do not think the 9 question has been answered yet for us.
We are facing a large French pack with quick wings, so Hogg will be probably the most important player on the pitch as they will break our lines, and he will have to stop those attacks.

Broken arrow
Broken arrow
23 September, 2020 08:43
Season stats for 9ís
Mins played. Turnovers conceded. Tackle %. Passes
Jack Maunder. 637. 8. 87%. 636
Dan Robson. 1274. 21. 78%. 998
Ben Spencer. 831. 17. 78%. 651
Andy Uren. 792. 20. 75%.
Faf De Clerk. 598. 8. 60%. 457
Nic White. 485. 16. 87%. 436
Sam HC. 195. 4. 75%. 186

This sums up how Chiefs want our 9ís to play, our passes per minute played far exceeds anyone else, Jack averages 1 pass per minute played !!! Itís all about ball retention.

cornwallchief
cornwallchief
23 September, 2020 09:27
Hi Master Chief and Broken Arrow,
Thanks for the rugby focus! At the start I tended toward the MC view and now not so sure! The stats are interesting thanks for doing them!

Master Chief
Master Chief
23 September, 2020 16:43
Interesting stats indeed. I think they more often an indication of how we play than Maunderís capabilities, although he does get about the park.

Maunder has a good pass no doubt, Im just wondering whether we need a little more from our 9. Spencer also has a superb pass but also frankly os a big person W at 9 given how central he is to their play now.. thatís because he is both vocal and a running threat. I actually think also given his quality box kick he would be a perfect type 9 for us.

Regardless of Spencer, who is simply an illustration I do wonder whether SHC has the capabilities to be an all-Court 9 for us. I think he does, but he needs to improve his pas which isnít as sharp as the aforementioned, and with more game time will hopefully grow in stature as a big presence at 8.

lechef
lechef
23 September, 2020 16:55
Allez Toulouse

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net