Latest news:

Boxing Day 2019
Discussion started by compo simonite , 19 June, 2019 12:32
Boxing Day 2019
compo simonite 19 June, 2019 12:32
You may remember that last season we were left without a Boxing Day fixture, only in the end did we arrange a friendly against Ampthill.......despite the result (for which I hold no grudge) I and those with me had a great time and the A’s got to play on real grass and before a full stadium for change.....

I believe with this year’s Boxing day fixture still to be finalised what an excellent fixture it would be for this years game to be against Ampthill at GR......

Re: Boxing Day 2019
Luton_Blue 20 June, 2019 13:46
Home or away though? If again there is no fixture a repeat friendly?

Wonder who our friendlies will be this season?

Please not saracens

BlueChrisD 20 June, 2019 15:13
I think it would be more beneficial to play Ampthill at any other time apart from Boxing Day/New Years Day. There's always a big crowds on BD & NYD - no matter who we play! So to have Ampthill on another weekend would effectively be like having a bonus BD/NYD for the club (big help financially for the club).

Ginger Blueboy 21 June, 2019 08:54
We're due a home game on Boxing Day. Ealing or Coventry would be good (expect to be tough opponents so need a big crowd).

Considering it's supposed to be regional based, regardless of the fate of Yorkshire Carnegie, not having us and Ampthill in the same cup group would be beyond daft. If Yorkshire Carnegie do stay in, because of Newcastle, logically one of Cov/Nottingham should be in our group too. But we shall see...

TryBlues 21 June, 2019 18:19
Judging by last year our local group will be Pirates, Newcastle and Hartpury/Jersey.

compo simonite 22 June, 2019 12:05
TryBlues

‘Judging by last year our local group will be Pirates, Newcastle and Hartpury/Jersey.-

I would hazard a guess that your comments are somewhat tongue in cheek...agreed?

Ginger Blueboy 22 June, 2019 13:39
Quote:
compo simonite
TryBlues
‘Judging by last year our local group will be Pirates, Newcastle and Hartpury/Jersey.-

I would hazard a guess that your comments are somewhat tongue in cheek...agreed?

Logically speaking, we will have at least one of Pirates, Jersey and Hartpury in our group, regardless of the situation in Leeds/whether Richmond are replacement.

If Yorkshire Puddings in league, I think split would work out more or less like this:

"Northern Group" - Newcastle, Leeds, Doncaster, Nottingham/Coventry
"Midlands Group" (know stretching the geographical range here!) - Bedford, Ampthill, Hartpury, Coventry/Nottingham
"South and London Group" - Pirates, Jersey, Ealing, London Scottish.

If Leeds sadly don't make it and this is known by 31st July, well my guestimate:
"Northern Group" - Newcastle, Doncaster, Coventry, Nottingham
"London & Guest Group" - Ealing, London Scottish, Richmond, most likely Jersey (flight connections) but could be us or Ampthill as guest (but really daft to split us up)
"Non-London and Non-Northern Group" - Pirates, Hartpury, probably Ampthill and Bedford.

If Leeds don't make it and this isn't confirmed until after 31st July - 11 team league, so 3 teams are going to miss out on 4 games, including 2 home games. Sorry to be brutal, but in that scenario, do worry whether other clubs will struggle too.

Ginger Blueboy 22 June, 2019 13:45
Other Leeds don't make it by 31st July very plausible scenario is if it's just simply ensured every team has their nearest rival (pretty much) in group, so you get derby couplings and ensure Pirates stay with Hartpury, their shortest away trip:

Group A: Newcastle, Doncaster, Bedford, Ampthill.
B: Coventry, Nottingham, Hartpury, Cornish Pirates.
C: London clubs, Jersey.

compo simonite 22 June, 2019 18:24
Ginger Blueboy I am getting a bit confused here are the three groups A,B and C the group’s we are in the Cup games or are these a different categories based on their geography?

bluegrass 23 June, 2019 07:07
Fixtures out early next week. From what I understand league fixtures won't start until second or third week of October three rounds of the cup first. A trip to ampthill in September cup game we are also playing ampthill at home on boxing day

Ginger Blueboy 23 June, 2019 14:12
Quote:
compo simonite
Ginger Blueboy I am getting a bit confused here are the three groups A,B and C the group’s we are in the Cup games or are these a different categories based on their geography?

Other geographical split that would make sense if Richmond are in league instead of Leeds. With the various derbies and travel distances, there's only limited variation that can really work before the whole idea of groups being regional based becomes completely ludicrous.

That's great to hear Ampthill are in our cup group. Slight shame we have them for Boxing Day rather than Ealing or Cov., but we should still get good crowd.

Ginger Blueboy 23 June, 2019 14:17
Quote:
compo simonite

So based on Rugby Paper/Rolling Maul, these are actual cup groups:

Cup Groups-
Pool 1- Ampthill, Bedford, Coventry and Ealing
Pool 2- Doncaster, Hartpury, Jersey, Falcons
Pool 3- Pirates, Scottish, Carnegie and Nottingham

While we have a reasonably geographically oriented one, it appears was drawn randomly with Jersey in same group as Falcons and no-one particularly near each other in 3. The opening 4 leagues fixtures (Carnegie away, Cov away, Ealing at home, Knights away) if believed, is even tougher start than last year!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net