Latest news:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dire Straits
Discussion started by Miss Rugby , 08 November, 2019 14:34
Dire Straits
Miss Rugby 08 November, 2019 14:34
Why do I feel something is not quite right at the moment. I know we have a small squad and there are injuries but I think something needs to click soon or we could be looking at the bottom of the table all season.
All the clubs seem to strengthened their squads, even Ampthill seem to be giving a good .account of themselves and good luck to them but Bedford seems to have stood still and I fear they could pay the price.

Re: Dire Straits
compo simonite 08 November, 2019 15:01
Miss Rugby tomorrow the Blues team will run out against a fully professional team......past form indicates we should perform well against teams we ‘perceive’ are better than us.....I didn't say we would win but I think we will give a good account of ourselves.....

This year we will struggle, and if last year repeats itself then there is nothing to stop clubs below us from ‘importing’ players to boost their chances of survival.......do you feel safe?

Miss Rugby 09 November, 2019 14:42
No I am afraid I don't feel safe at all. I think towards the end of season both teams below us at present will start to recruit players and if we don't pull ourselves out of the danger zone we could very well face the drop.
Attendance today will be good because of the opposition but how long before numbers start to dwindle if the results keep going against us.

Luton_Blue 09 November, 2019 20:02
Lucky blue kit does it again

Ampthill have recruited a lot of DR players over the last few weeks.

We’re in trouble!

Jonathan Wilcox 09 November, 2019 20:27
Flood should have been shown a red card... The game was there for the taking. But a losing bonus point against the favourites is a positive outcome from the game. Our forwards looked really good today.

Bluebuthappy 09 November, 2019 20:29
Much better performance today, despite the awful weather.
A losing bonus point is more than I was expecting before the game to be honest.
It could so easily have been 4 if we’d been a bit more clinical in the first half when we dominated position.
I said at half time we needed, and deserved, a 10 point cushion.
Things are looking up - as well as a much improved performance, Deano and Toops are both back.

Conorbay 10 November, 2019 07:56
It was a courageous display for sure but atrocious conditions like that tend to level things out, in fact the game became some what of a lottery. As a result I think it would be wrong to upgrade the Bedford performance too much and I’d want to see a couple of really good firmer ground performances before concluding we are on the up.

Garlic sausage 10 November, 2019 08:12
I would upgrade on that performance, wins are coming.

compo simonite 10 November, 2019 09:20
'......team will run out against a fully professional team......past form indicates we should perform well against teams we ‘perceive’ are better than us.....I didn't say we would win but I think we will give a good account of ourselves..... '

My previous posting came correct...agree with JW a red and a couple of yellows.....we should have taken the early penalties which would have given us an half time lead....

Great performance by the Blues in atrocious conditions Newcastle looked a poor example of what represents the bottom of the Premiership ...

Still fear for us we must take our chances when are on offer....

Ginger Blueboy 10 November, 2019 12:28
Hopefully the players will see it as a real step-up in performance which now needs to be matched with a result.

The next match, against Nottingham away, couldn't be more crucial imo. Since they moved to Lady's Bay, we've won I think all but one/two games there. No disrespect meant to them, but they're also not a side likely to be in contention for the top 4 come the end of the season. We simply have to win the match to lift ourselves into the mid-table and get a boost before the cup games.

Don't win against Nottingham and we then face two likely top 4 teams in Ealing and Cov yet again and won't have a chance to win another league game until Boxing Day against Ampthill.

compo simonite 10 November, 2019 14:24
Its worth reading Newcastle forum on this site......not happy bunnies......but fear not it wasn't us or them or the shirts or the rain or the referee ......however the 'old favourite' gets a mention.....the slope......there all sorted....

mellsblue 11 November, 2019 11:25
That’s the first time I’ve seen us this year. Unfortunately, I missed both Yorkshire matches due to family commitments and being caught unawares with them both being in the first four matches of the league season. I do hope Rotherham are promoted this season.....as it looks certain that we’ll be losing Leeds.
I thought we looked good, considering conditions, on Saturday. If we’d scored in the first half the game could’ve been a lot different. As it could if we’d been switched on from the whistle in the second half. I’ve no proof beyond an increasingly poor memory but we regularly look lacklustre in the first five/ten mins of the second half. I agree Flood should’ve been sent off. Both the neck roll/wrestling move on Temm and the shoulder to the face of Coulson/Tapley (?) could’ve been reds. Both were definitely yellow which of course leads to a red.
Ultimately, the game came down to Hutler being poor under the high ball - he’ll be a better player for it and, assuming he saw it, Jones may now have him as a candidate for the Eng 15 jersey - and Crossdale kicking poorly. I also thought Hooley was poor but I’ll put that down to World Cup hangover and it being his first game back. All that said, if you’d been offered a losing bonus point against Newcastle at the start of the season you’d have taken it.
I agree that we really need to win against Nottingham; however, I will be watching the Cov game as part of Xmas drinks with school friends. It’s our fourth year of our now annual Bedford gathering and I think we are yet to see them lose. Things can be, erm, hazy, come the final whistle, though, but Bedford definitely have a winning record on those occasions....yes, I’m grasping at straws.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 12:32 by mellsblue.

Jonathan Wilcox 11 November, 2019 16:47
I wonder if Bedford will cite over the two instances of foul play by Flood?

Luton_Blue 12 November, 2019 12:32
I'm confused, did we win against Newcastle?

We didn't? Have we won recently? No?

there ends the argument i'm afraid, it's simple. No matter how well you played or what positives you want to take from a game - we lost. We're second from the bottom of the league.

Our luck was bound to run out at some point. You can't keep under-funding or under-investing in a team whilst others do. We got away with it for a long time, apparently not any more.

Talk to me after christmas and if it's still the same we're in trouble, even more so if Yorkshire start winning!

compo simonite 12 November, 2019 14:31
It’s been a boast of the club that we haven’t put the ticket prices for some time.......I cannot recall when we had the last increase in prices.....is it five, six, seven.......possibly ten years?

The basic laws of economics are that the team we could afford five, six, seven or even ten years ago we cannot afford now......

Next year would there be any objections to an increase in prices.....IF it meant seeing an increase in the quality of the team?

Miss Rugby 12 November, 2019 15:42
We are second from bottom and could be in trouble.
We need to start investing in players that up to the challenge of championship rugby and can bring their game on a Saturday. I mean no disrespect to any players but I think that the club need to bring in some seasoned players and if that means putting up ticket prices then so be it.
Maybe its time for a good shake up from the top down and for the club to realise we are going to be left behind.
Also can someone explain why Hartpury are now Hartpury University, does this mean they get government funding.

Conorbay 12 November, 2019 16:48
A part of Hartpury College has been granted University status, now named Hartpury University & College.

Hartpury RFC plays rugby at the Uni & College and is largely represented by students and staff of the College. Hartpury RFC is not supported by Government funding

The College side is strong regularly featuring strongly in the BUCS League and boasts an U18 Academy which also has strong links to Gloucester RFC

Miss Rugby 12 November, 2019 19:25
Thank you for your explanation.

Jonathan Wilcox 12 November, 2019 19:32
A shake up from the top down, I like the sound of that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2019 19:34 by Jonathan Wilcox.

Jonathan Wilcox 12 November, 2019 20:27
2nd from bottom, the table doesn’t lie. Which ever way you look at it, we’ve become the second best team in Bedfordshire. The writing was on the wall when we lost key players last season, ‘old heads’ and now we need to rebuild. It’s going to take time, but one has to question if we have the desire and structure in place to make this happen and take Bedford forward.

compo simonite 12 November, 2019 21:08
Notable absence of comment from those with ‘blue tinted glasses’......

Luton_Blue 13 November, 2019 12:01
Compo - don't worry they'll surface soon enough! with their rhetoric of criticising being unloyal. I'm a supporter but I'm also a customer too!

Look we've done well under the current model but inevitability is that it'll come to an end sometime, isn't it?

Its kind of polarised when you have a team just down the road who are seeming attracting sponsors with deep pockets and also have ambition.

Again it comes down to a lack of forward planning accept the status quo which usually eventually means a slide down.

Lets hope this is just a blip, next few games will tell. If its true we showed better against newcastle - remain hopeful

Luton_Blue 13 November, 2019 13:18
and Ampthill have added more to their squad.

They've got the sort of player we should be thinking about sad smiley

compo simonite 13 November, 2019 15:41
Luton Blue..
‘I'm a supporter but I'm also a customer too! “

An often forgotten rule to any business .....If you listen to your critics and act on there concerns your over halfway there.....

Jonathan Wilcox 13 November, 2019 16:35
Luton Blue, I agree A’s have ambition and with those two new signings, their squad must be in excess of 50 now...They are certainly taking things seriously.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net