Latest news:

Boxing Day Blues
Discussion started by Blues Brothers , 28 December, 2019 12:27
Boxing Day Blues
Blues Brothers 28 December, 2019 12:27
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: Boxing Day Blues
iron blue 29 December, 2019 19:08
A packed Goldington Road failed to motivate the Blues enough and they allowed local rivals Ampthill to close the down down in the second half.

Oh so it's our fault, so nothing to do with the players not turning up? Glad we've cleared that one up.

Yaffle 29 December, 2019 19:33
So what lies in store for Bedford for the remainder of this season? Do we just have to hope that Leeds fail to record any wins and that we might just pick up few bonus points to keep us ahead of the relegation spot? What a delightful prospect and well worth the cost of a season-ticket.

Luton_Blue 29 December, 2019 22:15
From 3rd to this in a season?

Something gives, unacceptable either manager:coach or chairman’s fault?

I don’t mind losing if you try, not happening though is it?

I’ll be back next season, I can’t readily afford to watch every game and £16-£20 is a lot of money to me - wasted this season

Yaffle 30 December, 2019 19:32
Under Mike Rayer's 15 year term as Coach/Director of Rugby at this club, Bedford have only failed to finish the season in the top half of the league on four occasions (7th 06/07; 9th 13/14; 10th 14/15 and 8th in 16/17).
In all other years we have finished in the top half of the league. Indeed we have come 2nd three times; 3rd four times; 4th twice and 6th once. I have not recorded our cup successes, but there have been a few good runs over the years.
I don't think that there can be any doubt that Mike has the skills and ability to motivate a squad of players.
What is in no doubt is that he can only cut his cloth according to the budget he is given and this year I fancy that he has been given very little with which to operate.
If the supporters were ever given an insight into where the club is heading and what it wants to achieve we might all be a bit more tolerant and understanding when things unfold as they have done this season. Hey ho.

Luton_Blue 30 December, 2019 20:52
We’re not talking history lessons though are we? Can only judge on the position we find ourselves now
But I think, we don’t do anything irrational until the end of the season and give the current set up the opportunity to turn it around then you can evaluate.

That said I’d be right in thinking that they recruited these players?

Luton_Blue 30 December, 2019 20:54
We’ve never seen the plan it been told have we?

Jonathan Wilcox 30 December, 2019 21:30
Going to be interesting to see what Leeds do next now that their DoR has gone.... What are Bedford going to do?

Jonathan Wilcox 01 January, 2020 19:31
It’s the here and now that count, 2nd from bottom is poor....v poor and also not forgetting we’ve become the 2nd best team in Bedfordshire.
Surely it must be time for ‘The Board’ to have an emergency meeting......., otherwise we could find ourselves in ND1 next season, which isn’t where we want to be!

Magoo 02 January, 2020 10:19
Talk on the Rolling Maul website says certain clubs in the Championship are sacrificing this whole season knowing there will be no relegation and building a financial war chest for next season. here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2020 10:21 by Magoo.

compo simonite 02 January, 2020 18:01
Let me admit my ignorance in these matters, but where or when was it decided there will be no relegation from the Championship this season?

tomthepom 02 January, 2020 18:49
It wasn't decided CS. But there has been chatter about it, fuelled by comments from Ugo Monye on BBC R5L (see BBC website) that the venture capitalists behind the Prem 'wouldn't let' a 'big club' be relegated from the Prem. If that was to happen this summer, it might affect the Championship, and the fact that there's a 'big club' currently occupying 12th place might influence this... or it might not. And there's talk or restructuring the National Leagues, which could also affect the Ch'ship. And the departures of Martyn Wood, Nigel Wray (both confirmed) and Geoff Irvine (rumoured) might be tied in with this, as might the Pirates' efforts to progress their new stadium plans.

I'd be the first to admit there are a lot of ifs, coulds and mights in the above para - the situation is far from clear as things stand.

Conorbay 02 January, 2020 19:38
There will be relegation this season - it’s framed in the relevant rules and regulations. It’s not possible to change it.

compo simonite 02 January, 2020 19:52
So there is relegation.........any idea as to which are the clubs who are building up a war chest for the following season?

tomthepom 02 January, 2020 20:58
Quote:
compo simonite
So there is relegation.........any idea as to which are the clubs who are building up a war chest for the following season?

The one relegated this May...

As well as the ones who narrowly escape and vow not to sail so close to the wind in future...

And possibly the Championship clubs who just miss out on promotion this May but remain ambitious to get to the Prem and realise there may be limited opportunities for this ahead of the fence being erected...

compo simonite 03 January, 2020 08:25
It sounds a bit like these clubs are playing ‘Russian Roulette’ with their customers loyalty......

Magoo 03 January, 2020 08:58
Quote:
Jonathan Wilcox
Going to be interesting to see what Leeds do next now that their DoR has gone.... What are Bedford going to do?

The man behind the most successful period in Yorkshire Carnegie’s history has made a shock return in a desperate bid to revive the club’s fortunes.
here

Luton_Blue 03 January, 2020 08:59
And you don’t think Bedford have already done that? Two dogs? I wonder what a crowd will be like in a league below? Would we ever get out of that?

My local football club has gambled too, they’ve entered a higher league on a budget for the league they were in - they’re bottom - sound familiar? It doesn’t work!!!

Jonathan Wilcox 03 January, 2020 12:49
Leeds look to have a plan, do Bedford?

Yaffle 03 January, 2020 13:32
"We will look to strengthen the squad in the short-term, if possible, but looking longer term, we want to create a strategic plan for rugby union in Leeds in order to provide a sustainable future for the sport at an elite level in the city.” so says newly (re-) appointed Phil Davies. The people behind this appointment will move heaven and earth to stay in the Championship and, be in no doubt, it is quite possible that Leeds can win a few games out of the 15 remaining this season.
What plans do our directors have?

Magoo 03 January, 2020 15:30
Quote:
Jonathan Wilcox
Leeds look to have a plan, do Bedford?

Hopefully a cunning plan dreamed up by Baldrick!

Jonathan Wilcox 03 January, 2020 17:28
I suggest we all keep an eye on twitter and the main site for a club statement on Monday 6th Jan. Apparently there’s a big meeting going on at the club and not just tea and biscuits.
I’m hoping we will see some change and a robust plan that ensures our place in The Championship. It’s time to see some proper leadership, which has been lacking of late. Onwards and upwards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 10:06 by Jonathan Wilcox.

Ginger Blueboy 04 January, 2020 12:41
I'll admit that despite the awful results this season, I haven't until now been too worried about relegation, simply because Yorkshire Non-Liquidated Puddings have no money and looked incapable of winning more than one game all season & only one team goes down.

However, the Phil Davies announcement and the contents of the Yorkshire Post article change that for me. He talks about making immediate short-term signings (just like last season) and he's a superb coach, capable of getting the very best out of a limited team (see Namibia at the World Cup against 3 tier 1 sides). It's also notable that the article hints at funding from Northern Energy which may mean Yorkshire will have a bit of cash to spend.

Yaffle 04 January, 2020 14:52
Time now for the board at Bedford Blues to take our miserable situation seriously me thinks. We should all be feeling nervous about a resurgent Leeds as recent history tells us what they are capable of doing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net