[www.theguardian.com]

Comments please...

Re: Ouch!
Blue33Years 12 February, 2020 11:49
Back to 16 clubs?

Ginger Blueboy 12 February, 2020 12:08
Ringfencing by stealth.

Really hope no club ends up folding as a result in next 2-3 years, but it wouldn't surprise me. All but 3/4 will inevitably switch to semi-pro/amateur though.

Lack of any notice is big issue, that and the 50% left only guaranteed until 2021. Would be wise for all clubs to plan for having to pay everything inc. medical costs on their own after next season. Suspect shareholders' issue will be called for either this season or next. Also, as much as I personally would loathe it, suspect a change to ticket prices of some sort will result.

I'd really like to see 'a mate's rate' sort of scheme which Bristol used to run when in our division for some games to maybe help soften blow for some if there is to be a rise in ticket prices. I believe they had a 10 for £100 scheme. Perhaps the normal stand and ground ticket matchday prices would rise by £1/£2 and season tickets by the equivalent of a game. But then at least for ground tickets, there could be more innovative sales/promotions like the great Ladies' Day 2 for 1/Emergency Services Free Game - what about 10 for £140/150 for ground tickets for certain games and a game each season which really focuses on students?

On the field, Blues may well end up stronger force next season as a result of this because we'll have less turmoil than other clubs/those with lower crowd attendances and no sugar daddy will have to cut their cloth more than us.

bigfecker 12 February, 2020 15:52
You chaps may be interested in this;

[cornish-pirates.com]

Good luck with the blazers at the RFU.

Ginger Blueboy 12 February, 2020 17:53
Had a read of that - great to see. A strong statement which also provides further info (RFU hadn't mentioned they were withdrawing funding altogether from the cup competition as part of this - means if you get I guess just away game draws in the knockout stage you can only lose money) and sets out for all to see the idiocy of this planned policy by the RFU and PRL.

Blueprint's really interesting (well researched and full of ideas) and would work as a very good foundation for proper consideration of the league's long-term future.

Only bits disappointed by are a) Bedford weren't involved in it ourselves from the beginning, though I guess back at the tail end of last year we did have our own worries on the pitch and b) it's only emerged now, in the wake of the funding announcement.

The fact is the PRL and the RFU operate on a smoke and mirrors basis it seems as default. Clubs should be more transparent with the fans about great discussions like this as it'll set apart the Championship from above and likely gain interest/further ideas.

That said, now the blueprint's out there, I don't see any reason for all 10 continuing Championship clubs (let's be realistic here, we already know who those 10 are) to properly discuss this and set out a coherent set of proposals & try to drum up public pressure/support for some kind of reversal of the funding cuts announced (obviously planning for there being none).

Personally, I think we should also work more as a division with NL1 for the way forward too, whether in our own league plans and/or cup.

compo simonite 12 February, 2020 20:47
My thoughts are that I cannot understand the RFU’s logic........but from the time I started following rugby ‘logic' is not a thing that RFU know much about........

Ok having cut the finance to the Championship once its must be just as ‘logical' to RFU to cut it again.......and not just to this league but any ‘contribution’ to the other leagues......or am I getting paranoid?

This is the start of ring fencing the Premiership in 2021-22 .............and a fourteen team Premiership.....?

I suspect that even now club Chairman in the Championship Clubs and below are discussing what legal action they can take..........a Judicial Review?

bigfecker 12 February, 2020 21:47
I fear the only way to fight it is a vote of no confidence in the RFU board via all Championship / N1 / N2 clubs.

Blue Fox 13 February, 2020 15:46
Listening to an article Cov local radio station in which their CEO is joining with CP, ET and LS to look at options. I feel we need to get on board and eventually cut loose of the RFU. Who is to say they won’t follow this diabolical act with another. Talk of a separate entity is attractive if there could be sponsorship in some form. With the success of Ampthill and Cov over the past two seasons, what could be better than some others from ND 1 coming in? Rosslyn Park, Blackheath, Richmond, Old Elthamians. Regular home and away matches, perhaps a playoff competition, a wider cup etc. Just could be real fun and interesting for all. Who needs the Prem or the RFU? Real rugby for real fans.

Pirate15 13 February, 2020 21:15
If any Blues fans are interested in signing a petition of ' no confidence in the RFU board' one has been started on the pirates forum

bigfecker 13 February, 2020 21:52
[twitter.com]

Interesting.

compo simonite 13 February, 2020 22:07
Blue Fox
‘Regular home and away matches, perhaps a playoff competition, a wider cup etc. Just could be real fun and interesting for all. Who needs the Premiership or the RFU? Real rugby for real fans.’

It would only work if all clubs below the Premiership agreed to forming a breakaway structure......any sizeable rump of clubs remaining with the RFU would just move up the ladder and replace those that had left........

Agree with the Championship being of sixteen clubs playing regular home and away matches but with a Friday night match being televised on one of the lesser TV channel's......one of the Championship’s assets is the TV right's......

Agree with your sentiments ‘Real rugby for real fans'........dare I suggest...... RugExit

Blue Fox 14 February, 2020 12:40
Quote:
Pirate15
If any Blues fans are interested in signing a petition of ' no confidence in the RFU board' one has been started on the pirates forum
. There is also one kicking off for replacing the RFU.

Yaffle 16 February, 2020 14:26
Interesting article here from Will Hooley and Justin Blanchet....

[www.theguardian.com]

compo simonite 17 February, 2020 16:55
Just read young Geoff's reply which can be read below

[bedfordrugby.co.uk]

Great letter Mr Irvine let's hope it has some effect...

Compo S .......sitting on my sunbed

DaveyP 18 February, 2020 11:41
[www.theguardian.com]

I'm a bit of a mixture of a Saracens fan (from my youth) and a Plymouth Albion fan (from my current location!)

I was wondering what the appetite was for a protest at Twickenham (I like the concept of the applause but it's risky as the RFU tends to only promote the international product and in my experience there are many supporters who aren't wonderfully interested in the grass roots of the game).

A march and a standing protest outside of the stadium perhaps? If the idea has traction I'd suggest it's even worth the club putting on coaches and building an event around it?

I would certainly consider travelling to it?

Cheers,

Dave.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net