Buggea
Robling - Blackheath
Leeming - Jersey
Hooley - Saracens
Hutler - Jersey
Adamson - Rouen
Taylor
Coulson

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 08:37 by TryBlues.

Re: 2020/21
TryBlues 01 April, 2020 21:00
The 5 players I would be looking to sign up quickly are:

Oskar Hirskyj-Douglas
Fa’osiliva
Leeming
Hutler
Adamson

Ginger Blueboy 02 April, 2020 15:37
That's fantastic if Temm and Lane are down for another season - thought Lane at least was heading off to pastures new.

Would swap Adamson for Robbie Smith in terms of first 5 players to sign urgently, mainly because I feel that Adamson's injury-ravaged season probably means other clubs may not be so keen this time around and Smith was starting to look the real deal in games I saw.

I really hope Hooley will be able to play again in a Blues shirt, but have to accept key there is if his concussion history makes doctors and family influence him to 'take it easy' at a lower level or even retire. At least he has a very promising media career ahead of him.

TryBlues 02 April, 2020 19:33
Well these are players that are signed it doesn’t mean that they will be there if another club pays us for them.

Re: 2020/21 Squad
TryBlues 04 June, 2020 08:17
Updated

Wazeroonie 06 June, 2020 22:47
Does anyone think Will Maisey will get the chance to impress at 10 for you next season after only playing 30-odd minutes against Newcastle in his short term deal to the end of the season?

Jonathan Wilcox 09 June, 2020 19:06
What are the Blues doing about signing new players? Plenty going on elsewhere in the league.......

Yaffle 10 June, 2020 12:07
Don’t expect to read anything first on the Club’s website if recent history is anything to go by.

TryBlues 10 June, 2020 20:54
You do not want to know! Basically we are sitting it out until we know more when the league dates are announced.

I thought they would have signed up all the players from the currents years squad and then have them on furlough. This has not happened other than the ones mentioned above. I heard they have given intent letters and told the players to get jobs in the meantime, which means they could disappear off to other clubs.

They aren’t worried about signing players as they feel there will be a lot available and also thinking out loud, if we wait it out there could be some Prem players released late on which we could pick up maybe?

Someone also said that we were going to have a small core squad and rely on DRs.

Yaffle 12 June, 2020 13:45
I see from the Rolling Maul, Nat League 1 site that Lewis Robling has signed for Blackheath,
"Lewis Robling: Centre
Lewis comes to Blackheath from Bedford Blues via Jersey Reds and Ealing, having made over 100 Championship appearances. Another signing that gives us more flexibility, as he can also play 10 and hence gives us another option as a recognised goal kicker."

TryBlues 12 June, 2020 14:34
Probably his level, never really stood out, wasn’t big enough or fast enough for a centre and never performed well at 10.

Will update though

mellsblue 13 June, 2020 12:24
Hutler and Leeming confirmed to Jersey, who have made a flurry of announcements this week. Plenty of quality amongst the quantity, too, George Edgson being one of them. Would’ve liked him back at GR.

Jersey are obviously in their ‘let’s throw money at the squad’ phase. If history has taught us anything, I expect them to be at the ‘we need to save a shed load of money or we’ll go bust’ phase within the next 18 months.

Yaffle 13 June, 2020 18:14
Meanwhile here at Bedford we have a new Women's team (excellent news), a newly formed Community Foundation (again, excellent news), new and retained club sponsors (again etc....), special offers and new items of clothing in the club shop (OK, I suppose).
But do we have a Mens squad? We know that some players have left (largely from reading the announcements on other clubs sites).
There has been no Season Ticket application form - I suppose that is because nobody knows when the season will start nor how long it will last for. There is the usual deafening silence from the board room at GR.
How is it then that Cornish Pirates, Doncaster, Ealing and Jersey are all making signings and what contractual terms are they putting in place?

Jonathan Wilcox 16 June, 2020 12:44
“Someone also said that we were going to have a small core squad and rely on DRs.”

What’s a small core squad 20?

TryBlues 16 June, 2020 22:08
I don’t know but I would expect more 27

Bluebuthappy 19 June, 2020 16:51
Fraser Strachan and Devante Onajaife have both been released by Saints.
Both turned out for the Blues last season. I was quite impressed with Strachan when he turned out a few times. Previous season too if I recall. I think I only saw Devante the once for Blues, I think he was brought in more as emergency cover rather than a full blown loan.
I’m sure both would be useful additions to the squad.
That previous history, the geographical proximity to Northampton, and of course having a brother in the team, make it a logical step for them and the Blues.

Yaffle 19 June, 2020 17:59
Curb your enthusiasm Bluebuthappy - Fraser Strachan has already been signed by Ealing.
Shame, being an ex Bedford School lad and having played with the Blues on & off for a couple of seasons. He will have been offered top dollar by Ealing cos that's what they do.
Can't understand why they spend so much money every season only to come second and I am pretty certain that this will be their fate at the end of the next season (whenever that might be).

Bluebuthappy 20 June, 2020 10:29
That’s a shame Yaffle. It must be the tens of thousands of pounds Ealing get from gate money every home game that enables them to continually splash the cash (Sm7)
We can expect to see Strachan next season then when he gets fed up being a water carrier...

I think most clubs other than Ealing, and Jersey, it seems, will be scrimping and saving as much on their playing budget to contend with the triple whammy of reduced RFU funding, losses due to Covid, and the presence of a certain team of serial overspenders which will mean everyone will be playing for 2nd place even more so than usual.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/06/2020 10:35 by Bluebuthappy.

Yaffle 20 June, 2020 18:23
It would appear that certainly four of the twelve Championship clubs (Cornish Pirates, Doncaster, Ealing and Jersey) have started to form decent squads. Of the remaining seven clubs little has been heard, other than who is leaving. Saracens, of course, have strength in depth irrespective of who stays and who goes.
Why would anyone invest heavily in developing a squad that can only compete for second place?
Whilst I am irritated by the silence from Goldington Road I have no doubt that the directors will be developing a prudent policy of how to survive the next 18-24 months.
Who knows what the second tier of English rugby will look like in the months to come? I fancy that semi-professional squads (bolstered with dual reg players) will be the only viable template in the short term.

Ginger Blueboy 21 June, 2020 23:23
May be worth keeping an ear out for the latest Blues Podcast to be released in coming week. The preview on social media is of Rayer discussing the current squad situation...

jauzy19 22 June, 2020 17:43
Dean Adamson signs for french club Rouen.

https://twitter.com/RouenNdieRugby/status/1275020824475586562

Yaffle 22 June, 2020 18:30
Quote:
TryBlues
Oskar Hirskyj-Douglas
Fa’osiliva
Leeming
Hutler
Adamson

Oh dear TryBlues you've done gone and told every other club who they should pick off!
Three of these boys are now off to pastures new.

Jonathan Wilcox 22 June, 2020 21:42
Good luck to Deano, great player.
Not looking very good for next season...rather worrying

TryBlues 22 June, 2020 23:02
Quote:
Yaffle
Quote:
TryBlues
Oskar Hirskyj-Douglas
Fa’osiliva
Leeming
Hutler
Adamson

Oh dear TryBlues you've done gone and told every other club who they should pick off!
Three of these boys are now off to pastures new.

Clearly I have an eye for talent!

One of these still on the list was offered a contract and he was going to sign but then the funding cuts were announced, so the contract was pulled to revise the salary!

One issue we will have is the players signed would be the higher earners you would expect which must have really impacted the rest of the budget.

dunc999 23 June, 2020 08:28
Quote:
Jonathan Wilcox
Good luck to Deano, great player.
Not looking very good for next season...rather worrying

Yes sad to see Deano go but a great opportunity for him.

I think the most worrying thing is whether the club survives this at all, and if they are cutting the cloth to ensure that then I am 100% behind them. I'm sure we'll manage to put out a 15 to be competitive enough if and when it all starts back up. Surviving and staying up has to be the aim, especially with Sarries down, I don't understand why any clubs are splashing the cash to be honest.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net