Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Next two matches

Saturday 21 September 2019 v Jersey Reds at Stade Santander International, 3.00pm (Cup)

Sunday 29 September 2019 v Doncaster Knights at Kingston Park, 3.00pm (Cup)

Bath v Wigan?
Discussion started by dick g , 10 June, 2019 09:49
Bath v Wigan?
dick g 10 June, 2019 09:49
Something different to tide us over until another player departure row.

Do I remember correctly that in the aftermath of our game going pro (1997?) a game was staged between Bath and Wigan RL at Twickers with one half under RU laws and the second as RL? Does anybody recall the game? Am I having a senior moment?

Re: Bath v Wigan?
Awp24975 10 June, 2019 10:02
I hope itís ok to pop across, off work at moment and trying to keep self occupied so quick visit from Bath site.

We did play Wigan, believe it was 1996. We played a game of Rugby League at Maine Road when we got a hammering. We then played a game of Union at Twickenham a couple of weeks later when we got a bit of revenge.

Edit:

Just looked it up:

8.5.1996:

Wigan 82 - Bath 6 (Rugby League, Maine Road)

25.05.1996:

Bath 44 - Wigan 19 (Rugby Union, Twickenham Stadium)

[en.m.wikipedia.org])

Ps.....Good luck for next season, really wanted you lot to stay up, will miss my weekend away next season!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 10:08 by Awp24975.

London_Falcon 10 June, 2019 12:47
And just to add that Wigan RL entered a team into the 1996 Middlesex 7s and promptly won the final against Wasps.

For those too young to remember, the Middlesex 7s was an end of season day at Twickenham with some of the top players in the game playing. Teams were either club sides (Falcons won in 2007) or representative sides (Army) or 7s invitational teams (Penguins, Samurai).

The 1996 Wigan team at the 7s were amazing, with Jason Robinson, Scott Quinnell, Henry Paul, Shaun Edwards, Andy Farrell, Inga Tuigamala, Martin Offiah and Gary Connolly all playing (I may have missed a few more).

Wigan's Sevens Heaven

steve1888 10 June, 2019 12:51
I used to love the Middlesex 7s , great day out. The Premiership 7s could be good if they insisted on registered squad players at least. As it is it's an unbalanced farce generally.

Osric 10 June, 2019 17:00
I was at that 7s. It was just unfair

JL904 11 June, 2019 14:22
As a lad growing up near Wiggin, RL was naturally more widespread - but as a Grammar School student I also played RU.

I've followed and enjoyed both codes equally for over 40 years, and well remember the cross code challenge. The two factors affecting the respective scorelines were fitness and technique IMHO.

For the first match under RL rules a superb Bath side were always likely to be on the wrong end of a tanning. First, the match was less than a week after Bath won the double, so they suffered from match fatigue on top of little preparation time. Second, that Wigan side were without question among the finest, most successful club sides of any sport, in any era. During the previous 10 years they won 8 League titles and 8 Challenge Cups - including six consecutive doubles.

Bath were only just embracing professional rugby, where Wigan had been full-time players for years. Wingers Martin Offiah and Jason Robinson would have been a handful for a fully rested Bath side, so their 8 tries (out of 16) wasn't a surprise. 82-6 made Bath look awful - they weren't. I could imagine a score closer to 60-25 had the Union lads had a chance to prepare better.

The Twickenham RU match was totally different. The complexities of the 15 man game were ruthlessly exposed, especially among the forwards. Wigan played Inga the Winger as Flanker, and other than him, only Scott Quinnell and Martin Offiah had any real experience of rucks, mauls, line-out plays and contested scrums.

Wigan, unused to contesting for the ball in open play struggled to either get, or retain it for large parts of the match, and struggled with the complexities of Laws that League doesn't have. They went behind on the scoreboard, being 25-0 down at H/T. As in the first match, the difference in overall fitness told second half - each side scoring 19 points. Had fitness levels been closer, I think it's quite possible we could have seen Bath winning by 70-odd points.

Many thanks to Dick for bringing back some great memories of two wonderful teams in a historic match-up which can't be repeated - and hope my ramblings haven't brought on a severe case of insomnia.

Wars begin when you will, but they do not end when you please - Niccolo Machiavelli

London_Falcon 11 June, 2019 15:38
Another memory from Middx 7s is this Will Carling incident (Youtube link to a rugby clip):-

Carling gets a surprise

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 15:40 by London_Falcon.

limpopo 12 June, 2019 12:35
I forgot just how quick Will was, met him at Twickenham, charming fellow.

alchemist 12 June, 2019 17:09
I remember when he was still at Durham University (Hatfield), he played in a "Town and Gown" sevens tournament at the Dell in Bishop Auckland. He was decidedly rapid and had a 'fan club' on the sidelines :-)

There's 35 seconds to go 12 June, 2019 17:21
Bath were also whistled off the park, in the league game, with a very unsympathetic referee

Stopsy 17 June, 2019 12:07
I was at the Maine Rd game, it really was men against boys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net