Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Next two matches

Saturday 21 September 2019 v Jersey Reds at Stade Santander International, 3.00pm (Cup)

Sunday 29 September 2019 v Doncaster Knights at Kingston Park, 3.00pm (Cup)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Young & Mcguigan joint Captains
Discussion started by GeordieFalcon , 09 September, 2019 18:08
Young & Mcguigan joint Captains
GeordieFalcon 09 September, 2019 18:08
I see they have announced Michael Young and George as Co Captains for the season ahead.

I wonder why Will Welch hasnt conitnued it on?

Re: Young & Mcguigan joint Captains
mr cheese 09 September, 2019 21:01
surprised at this decision as imo if everyone is fit neither makes my starting 15
dont like co captains at the best of times much prefer the idea of one voice

pityacker 10 September, 2019 06:25
I find it a surprising selection as co-captains personally as for me to when everyone on top form arguably Takulua and Cooper are our first choice but Deano does appear to favour home grown players .

steve1888 10 September, 2019 08:11
Yeah i never get the co captains thing , not saying either of these are particualrly bad choices but still a bit of a surprise, assume RWC could have impacted the decision too.

GeordieFalcon 10 September, 2019 08:21
I wonder if Will has stepped down after doung it fir so many years...

Whats Wills injury situations like. Is he fully recovered from the ones that seemed to plague him last season?

Rafpilot2000 10 September, 2019 08:59
Maybe after last seasons results Will wants a bit of a break to focus on just the rugby. Equally may be an attempt to enthuse other squad members. Just wonder if his time off the field due to injury may have been a consideration
That said , in the absence of Wilson, Will is the natural leader and loyal club servant who should lead the team.
Like others , Iím not a fan of co-captains. The Captains role is to be a focal point for a team and the person through whom the DoR can communicate .
Both lads will no doubt do a great job and Iím sure the club have a lot of very savvy people who have considered the selection .
Good luck lads

upwardonward 10 September, 2019 13:25
Will probably wants to concentrate on his rugby,getting to peak fitness, without the unseen pressures of Captain.
Also it gives other guys such as George and Micky the experience of Captaining the Club in the Championship.
IMO Will has been one of the best Captains of this Club in its history.So thank you Will for your loyalty.
I would not be suprised next year, when we are back in the Premiership, he teams up with one of his best pals Mark W and takes the reigns again.
Will has an aweful lot more to offer the Club and IMO will make a great coach in the future.

GeordieFalcon 10 September, 2019 16:06
We are privileged with a few youngsters with real leadership abilities...Calum Chick for one, who will have a big role to play this season if Wills injury issues continue.

You need leaders around the team not just the offical captains.

I agree with the above , maybe Will just wants to focus on his fitness and getting back in the team without the stress or added duties of the Captaincy.

Falc Dancer 10 September, 2019 19:56
A strange call although I do like the idea of George becoming captain. Another young academy player made good, learned from leaving the club and came back stronger for it
Canít say I see the need for co captains unless there will be plenty of rotation and one captain might not start from week to week
Club have released the new squad photo minus the World Cup players. I couldnít find Jon Welsh in the line up though

markismith50 10 September, 2019 20:35
Hi FD, Jon was unable to attend the shoot

Falc Dancer 10 September, 2019 20:46
Quote:
markismith50
Hi FD, Jon was unable to attend the shoot

Cheers Smithy
I hope itís nothing bad. Jon has had his fair share of bad luck recently

Exiled Falcon 10 September, 2019 20:51
Without being contrary I actually make George our first choice hooker. Donít know enough about his personality to gauge what sort of a captain he will be but he has obviously impressed Deano. Yeandle at Exeter has shown you donít need to be the best in your position to be a good captain. Anyway, good luck to both, although you wonder if itís just a season long arrangement.

GeordieFalcon 11 September, 2019 00:29
I suspect we're going to see ALOT of rotation this season with the first team probably only actually put out for the few big challengers...

GeordieFalcon 11 September, 2019 00:39
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Without being contrary I actually make George our first choice hooker.

I do think the move away seems to have focused George and since his return hes looked a level up on the player who left.

Lowch 11 September, 2019 00:39
I canít spot Johnny Williams in the team photo either

Exiled Falcon 11 September, 2019 06:22
Would agree with that GF.

markismith50 11 September, 2019 07:52
Lowch, Johnny was unable to attend, also.

Falc Dancer 11 September, 2019 10:09
We have signed a tighthead from Notts, Mike Daniels on a 1 year deal
I hope Jon Welsh hasnít had a set back, heís a top player for us

AFalcon24 11 September, 2019 10:23
Interesting call this, was expecting it to be Welch as captain again. smiling smiley

GeordieFalcon 11 September, 2019 11:40
We have quite a big front row contingent this season.

Is Dean taking the chance to look at the whole area.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net