Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Next two matches

Sunday 17 November Newcastle Falcons v Coventry 3.00 pm KO Championship

Friday 29 November Newcastle Falcons v Hartpury RFC 8.00 pm KO RFU Championship Cup

RESULT: Bedford Blues 6 v 11 Newcastle Falcons Championship

Sinner Sarries
Discussion started by dick g , 06 November, 2019 09:16
Sinner Sarries
dick g 06 November, 2019 09:16
Thought I'd kick this off. The conviction seems pretty sound. The verdict was passed by a body independent of Prem Rugby. I can't do the sums, but is it possible for Sarries to overcome the deficit? How many more wins than the opposition do they need to stay up. Given that the club's success in recent seasons has been achieved via "illegal" sides, should the punishment have been more draconian?

By the way, I am experiencing difficulty getting in this site at the moment. The gorithms are giving me a hard time. If I vanish, it does not mean I am dead.

Re: Sinner Sarries
Bedlington Lad 06 November, 2019 10:13
Hi Dick - we're discussing this under the oh dear leicester thread

steve1888 06 November, 2019 11:52
They would have managed last season , see what happens with their appeal first.

There's 35 seconds to go 06 November, 2019 11:56
Quote:
steve1888
They would have managed last season , see what happens with their appeal first.

With a cap busting squad...

limpopo 06 November, 2019 14:47
Quite!!!

matt1il 06 November, 2019 21:51
Quote:
dick g
I can't do the sums, but is it possible for Sarries to overcome the deficit? How many more wins than the opposition do they need to stay up.

Purely on wins, they'd need to have 7BP wins more than 12th*, or 9 std wins. They had 10 more than us last season...

Top 4 looks out the question, the average pts for 4th is 63, with last year having the lowest at 56, the highest being 68. So they'd need an average of 98pts, which would req. 17BP wins and 1 std win in the remaining 19 matches.

I struggle to see how they've been punished if these payments aren't in the rules but in fact a grey area, I was expecting that the rules would be tightened up but that they'd get away with no punishment, pleasentley surprised, but think their fans complaining have had 5 years of good time followed by 1 bad at the moment

steve1888 07 November, 2019 06:29
I find it puzzling the panel agreed they didn't purposely breach the cap but then hit them with these sanctions.

I hope we don't lose top English players to France over it and also hope it doesn't effect their use of homegrown talent too.

I'm guessing others will have to change their practices now too. This could yet drag on for a while and be interesting to see where it all ends.

dick g 07 November, 2019 09:30
Sarries did not purposely breach the cap rules, but skilfully found a way around them. The independent panel must have decided that this offended the intention of the cap. Quite right too. Hopefully this gap will now be plugged.

I have seen a claim from Sarries that their scheme (scam) was merely a question of taking care of the players involved. Can we now expect to learn that every member of the Sarrie's squad is a business partner of Mr Wray. I am not holding my breath!

Falcona 10 November, 2019 13:24
Saracens' punishment leaves Newcastle coach Dean Richards with 'mixed feelings'

[www.skysports.com]

Barry555 10 November, 2019 16:15
This was taken from journo Alastair Eykyn on Twitter -

“Some clarity from trusted sources re Wray’s (correct) assertion that salary cap breach was not deliberate. There’s a sliding scale of responsibility: 1Deliberate/2Reckless/3Negligent/4Accidental. Saracens weren’t found to have acted deliberately, but deemed to have been reckless”

Whilst I understand in Euro comps English teams up against French sides with next to no salary restrictions so can understand reasoning behind it. But in the Prem everyone assumes everyone else is working at a set level. I reckon Sarries will have some of thier points reinstated on appeal...... but I don’t think they can complain if they don’t.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net