Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Next two matches

Saturday 14 December Newcastle Falcons v Jersey Reds 2.00pm KO RFU Championship Cup

Saturday 21 December Ealing Trailfinders v Newcastle Falcons 3.00pm KO League Championship

RESULT:Doncaster Knights 14 v 43 Newcastle Falcons RFU Championship Cup

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Newcastle Falcons v Coventry 17-Nov-19 Championship
Discussion started by FalconsRugby.org.uk , 15 November, 2019 12:28
Newcastle Falcons v Coventry 17-Nov-19 Championship
FalconsRugby.org.uk 15 November, 2019 12:28
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: Newcastle Falcons v Coventry 17-Nov-19 Championship
NorfolkFalcon 16 November, 2019 08:55
Extremely strong side. Hoping for an equally strong performance.

Leipziger 17 November, 2019 08:36
Looking forward to seeing Joel and Josh linking up today, I do wonder if Flood and Matavesi maybe weren't very compatible and it affected Josh's form last season.

The Bobster 17 November, 2019 17:29
Joel had a brilliant game today I felt as did the team, strong defence and pushed forward, a strong win and will keep confidence high in the camp!

falconbear 17 November, 2019 17:51
Great atmosphere today at KP. Good to see the youngns continuing to play at the half time interval. Entertaining, flowing rugby, particularly in the first half. Great crowd of 5K. Well done us.

AJfalc 17 November, 2019 17:52
Good solid game and glad we didn't just crab from side to side
Line out and scrum better

DB23 17 November, 2019 18:27
Better performance today than all of the previous games.

Smithyís match report acknowledging as much Ďby far their most convincing performance of the league seasoní. I would say we have been unconvincing and underwhelming up to today.

Having had the longest pre-season I can remember we should have been better prepared and playing to this level already.

I hope we now carry on improving and seal the league title as soon as possible to plan and prepare for next season.

One final point, we play a different game with Hodgson at 10. He speeds the game up, allows us to play a higher tempo and gets defences turning. With Flood at 10 we look slow and ponderous and it affects the whole teamís performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2019 18:33 by DB23.

alas 17 November, 2019 18:31
Much more like it and a lot more enjoyable to watch. Scotland did the Falcons a favour by leaving Graham out of the RWC as he's been our best performer so far this season. Hope Richards will keep Hodgson and Matavesi at 10/12 as it is much better than the alternatives.

corporalcarrot 17 November, 2019 18:40
Well done Falcons. You can only beat the opposition on the day but hopefully a few harder tests to come. Cov are a better team than todayís result suggests but you want to leave the Championship a better team than you joined so I still hope to see a few good close matches.

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

AFalcon24 17 November, 2019 19:09
That was more like it, nice to see some of the internationals returning as well.

pityacker 17 November, 2019 19:25
After first 10 minutes where Coventry had a lot of the ball it was by far the best performance of the season with a lot of players standing out but Gary Graham was outstanding with John Hardie not far behind . Hopefully we have better luck with injuries and an even stronger squad to pick from , the most enjoyable spectacle this season by far terrific effort from all.

Falc Dancer 17 November, 2019 19:29
Another win with a strong performance
Great defence today as well as Coventry did have some good possession
Good weather made a massive difference today well
Gary Graham, Will Welch & Darren Barry all solid today

Susiewong 17 November, 2019 19:34
Joel showed us how to speed the game up. His try saving tackle where he chased back was a credit to him, donít think Flood would have shown the same amount of determination. Gary Graham simply outstanding.

JustAnotherOnlooker 17 November, 2019 19:57
Couple thoughts on today.

Hodgson was fantastic, it's amazing how different we look in attack and how quick our line is when he's starts at 10. Makes Flood look like a Snail in comparison. He should ALWAYS be our first choice Fly-Half........unless injured of course........... touch wood.

I know no one cares but if we had a MOTM vote today I would've voted for McGuigan. Two tries and a huge shift in the pack.

Wensleydale Falcon 17 November, 2019 20:13
Collectively a very strong performance this afternoon in conditions that suited our style of play.
Some excellent performances.....but Gary Graham would get my vote for MOTM.
Defensively very solid again, which we have been all season so far.
A bit of a marker put down for the rest of the season as we really showed just what we are capable of when we click...probably left 2/3 tries out there as well to be fair.

Bedlington Lad 18 November, 2019 07:49
Really good game, Joel was excellent, I thought Gary Graham got through a ton of work. We look a good side when we put pace on the game.

GeordieFalcon 18 November, 2019 09:58
i think Dean is going to have to make a decision on Mr Flood..as it does appear that when Joel or Brett are a 10 we play a faster tempo.

CharlieDog 18 November, 2019 10:15
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
i think Dean is going to have to make a decision on Mr Flood..as it does appear that when Joel or Brett are a 10 we play a faster tempo.

It won't surprise many that in my opinion it's the easiest decision Deano will ever have to make

dick g 18 November, 2019 10:33
Noah has a major role as a mentor and there are games when his style is best option.

GeordieFalcon 18 November, 2019 10:43
Quote:
dick g
Noah has a major role as a mentor and there are games when his style is best option.

I can get that, but Joel is at an age now where he should not really need a mentor. Brett is still young however.

And which style does Toby suit. He doesnt look to me (purely my opinion) like he has put his stamp on any game this season, regardless of weather conditions etc. I appreciate some will disagree with me there.

Of course the pack also help in this regard...if they provide quick ball or not...which in many cases this season they simply havent...they have been blunt and ponderous...sums the team up to be honest..bar yesterday.

Barry555 18 November, 2019 10:57
Major difference today was accuracy levels. Nothing much changed game plan wise just purely the fact the lads were way more accurate in what they were doing.

Agree thought Joel had a great game and that performance will put him in pole position for the 10 shirt.

pityacker 18 November, 2019 11:07
Adam Radwans chase back tackle and regain the ball late in the game was simply sensational , donít know how much start the opponent had on him but he came from nowhere like an Exocet missile to save the try with the game already won it makes his action even more special.

AJfalc 18 November, 2019 11:39
I'm liking what I am seeing from Wacokecoke, running good lines and always seems to get past the first tackle

limpopo 18 November, 2019 11:50
I have commented before that I believe that Joel should have been more evident last season and should be starting every game. I have not witnessed anything to change that point of view.

telfs123 18 November, 2019 11:53
Much more like it, way more accurate and Joel makes a big impact at 10. Would definitely have him start most games, Flood on the bench in case things go wrong, and give Haydon-Wood some time in the cup and the ďeasierĒ games. Our pace of play is so much better with Hodgson. Radwan the gold star for his chase back tackle.

Bedlington Lad 18 November, 2019 11:55
he did break his leg last year though

There's 35 seconds to go 18 November, 2019 11:55
Joel broke his leg in about October and spent almost the whole season out.

limpopo 18 November, 2019 12:14
Quote:
There's 35 seconds to go
Joel broke his leg in about October and spent almost the whole season out.
Yes I appreciate that and should have added if not injured, but he should be starting most if not all games this season, with Toby on the bench.

Rogerandout 18 November, 2019 12:21
Much better yesterday and the forwards collectively did very well in the set piece and loose. The backs looked better with Hodgson at 10, but that may be unfair to Flood as it is always a lot easier when the forwards are in the ascendancy.
Performance wise more like what I expected this year.
Why is there a week off?

markismith50 18 November, 2019 12:38
Itís a reserve week, Roger.

dick g 18 November, 2019 12:50
Just to clarify my position on the 10 shirt, I have always been a Joel fan and it is good to see him now fulfilling the potential he showed before he was lured way with the promise of a gold-lined 9 shirt.

Herewith my Christmas anthem for the Dec 21 game. To the tune of Noel.

"Joel, Joel, Joel,
Joel the king of Kingston Park."

If I start it, I expect a few to join in. I don't have the voice for solos!

trummy200 18 November, 2019 15:55
His restricted game time may be to manage his fitness after the unfortunate leg break - remember some suggest it may have been career ending. Pleased to see that he still has a good turn of speed.
I like to see a fly half try the unexpected, sometimes it does not come off but great when it does.

upwardonward 18 November, 2019 17:15
That was a well deserved and executed result.
Some really good performances and effort from everyone.
IMO there were top performances from Graham at 8 ,who I think should play there a lot more, Welch at 6 ,where he played for England u20 , was outstsanding making it look easy and is an excellent line option and Barry and De Chaves at 4 and 5 also impressed.

One of the best Joel performances I have seen for a while .Lets hope he is not benched for the next outing.

As an aside ,for those who stayed to listen to Eddie Jones,I thought he spoke very well in his Q and A ,and came across as a nice fella .Also told some great stories.
As a person he was never really my cup of tea, but he change that and I look forward to reading his book, which includes a chapter on the World Cup.
As a coach they don't get much better and England is better with him at the helm.

Keep it up lads its worth fighting for.

stuart66 18 November, 2019 17:16
Not a great game Coventry where not good enough. But Great effort and perfomances by our Players. Only player I was not Impressed by was Radwan. I know most think hes the best thing ever but I have never been convinced by him

Robs 18 November, 2019 17:17
Quote:
dick g
Just to clarify my position on the 10 shirt, I have always been a Joel fan and it is good to see him now fulfilling the potential he showed before he was lured way with the promise of a gold-lined 9 shirt.
!
It was my understanding that he didn't want to play 9 for us and he left to try his luck getting a 10 shirt elsewhere

dick g 19 November, 2019 08:42
Quote:
dick g
Herewith my Christmas anthem for the Dec 21 game. To the tune of Noel.

"Joel, Joel, Joel,
Joel the king of Kingston Park."

If I start it, I expect a few to join in. I don't have the voice for solos!

Think I got the date of tge next home match wrong. Sorry.

GeordieFalcon 19 November, 2019 09:04
Quote:
stuart66
Not a great game Coventry where not good enough. But Great effort and perfomances by our Players. Only player I was not Impressed by was Radwan. I know most think hes the best thing ever but I have never been convinced by him

What is it that doesnt impress you? His positioning?
The only thing i would say about Adam is he needs to be aware of those around him. He's very tunnel vissioned with ball in hand and probably results in oppertunites being missed when he could have off loaded to another support player.

But he's young and will learn, as the likes of Johnny May has.

GeordieFalcon 19 November, 2019 09:08
With regards to Joel Hodgson, the thing i was pleased to see was how he used chip kicks and gruber kicks when the defence was up very flat.

The times myself and those around have screamed for this in the prem is rediculous...such an easy little play to get passed the defence. Finally Joel seemed to "get it" yesterday and it just changes the whole mentality of a team defending.

steve1888 19 November, 2019 09:36
He was given a good platfrom to play off , good team performance.

Bedlington Lad 19 November, 2019 10:27
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
With regards to Joel Hodgson, the thing i was pleased to see was how he used chip kicks and gruber kicks when the defence was up very flat.
The times myself and those around have screamed for this in the prem is rediculous...such an easy little play to get passed the defence. Finally Joel seemed to "get it" yesterday and it just changes the whole mentality of a team defending.

(Sm128) Couldn't agree more. It was heads up rugby.

Barry555 19 November, 2019 15:09
Also thought Arscott had another solid game at 15. After last seasons performances itís great to see him hit some form.
Does the basics well and is good under the high ball.

Didnít rate the signing of Darren Barry at first, certainly starting to prove me wrong. Solid shift in the row and some sublime skills in midfield too!

Think reason why Joel had such a good game was he brought a bit of everything. Crisp passing. Accurate kicking. Attacking the gain line. And to do the little chips over the advancing midfield whilst on the hoof is way more difficult then it looks. I thought he brought a good mix to the game on Sunday.

NorfolkFalcon 19 November, 2019 20:22
Thatís why I refer Hodgson starting. He is a dual threat.

Wazeroonie 19 November, 2019 22:43
Quote:
stuart66
Not a great game Coventry where not good enough.

Coventry not good enough? For what? For the newly relegated 'Premiership-in-waiting' side fielding probably their strongest team so far this season, at home - where they've already won their three games at a canter? Obviously not. Are Coventry good enough for the Championship? Definitely.

You're obviously not very happy that your team are slumming it in the Championship, but just remember - your team were not good enough for 16 league matches last season. That is why you are where you are this season.

Monkey1 20 November, 2019 07:23
Wazeroonie,

Don't fall into the trap of thinking we are arrogant because of what one numptie wrote. That numptie will be delighted with your response, just what he was looking for. Rubbishing Radwan is another little dig to wind people up. Somehow he gets pleasure from this, maybe after reading what you wrote he had a little play with himself if mummy wasn't likely to open his bedroom door suddenly, but he does not represent anybody except himself.

Falc Dancer 20 November, 2019 07:26
Quote:
Wazeroonie
Quote:
stuart66
Not a great game Coventry where not good enough.

Coventry not good enough? For what? For the newly relegated 'Premiership-in-waiting' side fielding probably their strongest team so far this season, at home - where they've already won their three games at a canter? Obviously not. Are Coventry good enough for the Championship? Definitely.

You're obviously not very happy that your team are slumming it in the Championship, but just remember - your team were not good enough for 16 league matches last season. That is why you are where you are this season.

I think that post from Stuart66 was looking for a Ďbiteí and does not represent the thoughts of all the posters on this forum

Admittedly we have a bigger budget than all the Championship teams but we are where we are because we deserve to be, as you rightly say we werenít good enough last season

stuart66 20 November, 2019 20:00
Wazeroonie I just ment that coverntry weren't good enough on the day to make it a good contest

Wazeroonie 20 November, 2019 22:28
Quote:
Monkey1
Wazeroonie,
Don't fall into the trap of thinking we are arrogant because of what one numptie wrote. That numptie will be delighted with your response, just what he was looking for. Rubbishing Radwan is another little dig to wind people up. Somehow he gets pleasure from this, maybe after reading what you wrote he had a little play with himself if mummy wasn't likely to open his bedroom door suddenly, but he does not represent anybody except himself.

Oh no, please don't get me wrong, I certainly don't think you are all arrogant. Far from it. It was just that one line in the chap's post is all. Caught me in the wrong mood I guess. Caught hook, line and sinker from his perspective! Fair do's. The way you seem to be playing at home, there might not be many games this season at KP where teams will give you a good contest. I look forward to seeing how we do in the return fixture in March. Cheers.

Monkey1 21 November, 2019 07:51
I think your away game is one that is pencilled down for a bus trip, so there may be quite a few of us making the journey down. It is one of our more local games which helps, mad as that may seem to you, but stuck up here most games are a lot further than that. Looking forward to it, and if you see a bunch of nutters in Falcons shirts do say hello.

stuart66 22 November, 2019 15:40
monkey you are a lier I do not aim to wind people up. And you behave like a 2 year old whenever you do not agree with other people this is a forum for people to express their views not always agree with everybody else. I have been insulted by a few people on here who disagreed with my views and have never insulted any other contributer on this forume. I have stated a couple of times in the past why I am not a fan of adam radwan which I have been insulted for in the past while others have made the same comments and been ignored. I have been insulted for wishing simon hamesley andchriss harvis well when they left the club. yes I do disagree with much that is said on here but I also agree with a lot. I did not mean to insult Coventry and am happy to apologise to any Coventry fans if they misstoke what I ment and did not word it well. I just ment that for a game to be good the teams must be equal and except for the first 10 minutes coventry where not equal with the falcons on the night.

steve1888 22 November, 2019 15:53
I don't see what was wrong with the comment Coventry were not good enough , the scoreline probably flattered them a bit and didn't look like the contenders they're made out to be and other sides have looked better although we have played worse too.

Could be completely different in the reverse.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net