Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Next two matches

Sunday 19 January Yorkshire Carneige v Newcastle Falcons 3.00pm League Championship

Friday 24 January Nottingham v Newcastle Falcons 7.45 pm League Championship

RESULT: Friday 10 January 2020 Newcastle Falcons 34 v 10 Doncaster Knights League Championship

Rugby Paper
Discussion started by Lowch , 08 December, 2019 12:39
Rugby Paper
Lowch 08 December, 2019 12:39
Rugby paper saying that we are looking to revamp our squad, with Mulipola set to move to France and Matavesi also may be off to Japan. Really hope the latter isnít true but guess weíll see

Re: Rugby Paper
GeordieFalcon 08 December, 2019 16:25
Matavesi is an odd one. Im not sure we see the real best of him on a consistent basis.

Falc Dancer 08 December, 2019 18:59
Josh to Japan would be disappointing but he has just been out there and maybe itís hekped make his mind up

There's 35 seconds to go 08 December, 2019 21:22
I'm sure tripling his wages has nothing to do with it.

A tramp abroad 08 December, 2019 23:33
Quote:
There's 35 seconds to go
I'm sure tripling his wages has nothing to do with it.

I don't know if that is correct, but if so then good luck to him.

There's 35 seconds to go 09 December, 2019 10:24
Neither do I, its just an assumption!

NorfolkFalcon 09 December, 2019 19:38
This squad needs an injection of fresh blood so Iím all for moving on from players like Matavesi and Mulipola.

lizard118 09 December, 2019 20:16
Josh is good but I think he'd be the first to admit that he lacks the consistency that you want in a top operator.

AFalcon24 10 December, 2019 16:46
Will also be interesting to see who we bring in if we go up and what positions we add in.

ed.up.north 11 December, 2019 06:32
If you look at our midfield options, we have built up some real strength there. Williams when back in the game is a very good player. Wacokecoke was looking sharp last season but has absolutely burst onto the scene this year with some decent game time. Look at Rory Hutchinson at Saints... he hovered around their A-squad and was away on loan to some Championship teams. Then all of a sudden he's a permanent fixture in their senior side and making a massive impact, at only 23. I think GW could be the same kind of superstar. So my point is, Matavesi has been a great servant but we have good options and some players who would really thrive, given the opportunity.

Andy Mac 11 December, 2019 14:57
I thought wacekoke has looked like the stand out performer form what Iíve seen so far this season.

Hutchinson has been talked about as a possible bolster for the lipns squad! Amazing what some game time does for players!

GeordieFalcon 11 December, 2019 16:26
Do we know what Williams recovery time is likely to be?

Whats our midfield options?
Senior Players
Josh Matavesi - Possibly Leaving
Tom Penny - Been highly injury prone..but good player if he can get a run injury free
Johnny Williams - Currently out...how long for?
Gareth Owen - Hardly a stand out prem player if we get back up.

Others:
Flood - Can play 12 but think hes way past his best.
Cooper Vuna - Can play centre..bt would be a back up.

Academy
Wakecoke - Breaking through with some eye catching performances this season.
Ben Stevenson - Getting plenty of gametime this season..at centre and wing.
Joel Matavesi - Not heard much about his progress?
Charlie Wilson (Senior Academy - At university and playing for their team),
Chidera Obonna (Senior Academy) - Probably not see him for a few years?

So with that in mind...i suspect we'll see a few brought in...older experienced centres. Deans type of players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 16:27 by GeordieFalcon.

markismith50 11 December, 2019 16:34
"Do we know what Williams recovery time is likely to be?"

We deliberately don't put a public timescale on these things because Johnny is being given all the time that he needs, but he was training today with the team.

A tramp abroad 11 December, 2019 18:06
Quote:
markismith50
We deliberately don't put a public timescale on these things because Johnny is being given all the time that he needs, but he was training today with the team.

That's great news!

Andy Mac 11 December, 2019 18:20
Appreciate that Williams is different as itís illness and not injury, but it does make laugh that we persevere with the cloak and dagger approach to keeping injuries secret. Itís hardly got a track record of success!

Quote:
markismith50

markismith50 11 December, 2019 18:35
Hi Andy,

Iím well aware you donít agree with the policy. Although Iím often taken by the assumption among some on here that most Prem clubs issue regular detailed injury updates. In fact, hardly any of them do.

As you say, Johnnyís case is clearly different and Iím sure even the most demanding of fans can understand the need for discretion.

aidanb 11 December, 2019 19:32
Quote:
markismith50
Hi Andy,
Iím well aware you donít agree with the policy. Although Iím often taken by the assumption among some on here that most Prem clubs issue regular detailed injury updates. In fact, hardly any of them do.

As you say, Johnnyís case is clearly different and Iím sure even the most demanding of fans can understand the need for discretion.

Hi Mark

Can you pass on all our best wishes to Johnny.

As you say, itís up to hiim with his progress. Itís just great to hear that he is about the club again.

markismith50 11 December, 2019 20:04
No problem Aidan.

ed.up.north 11 December, 2019 20:10
Thanks for the update Mark. I know you work hard to keep fans informed through official and informal channels and I really appreciate it. Thrilled to hear that JW is training, and of course never doubted that the club would be looking after him.

NorfolkFalcon 11 December, 2019 20:12
Completely agree, you cannot out a timescale on when Johnny will be back. Give him all the time he needs.

I canít wait for him to return. Our most exciting talent.

Andy Mac 11 December, 2019 20:33
Iím sure heíll get a great reception when he next takes the pitch!

GeordieFalcon 11 December, 2019 22:46
i wasnt being off by asking about Johnny, i was trying to refer more to the fact that he is probsbly unavailable for some time so our centre stocks arent quite as it might appear

RiponFalcon 11 December, 2019 23:18
I saw an interview with Jonny a while ago which suggested he was hoping to be back around Christmas. Hopefully the Melrose game may be a suitable return.
Also has anyone watch the Doddie program from BBC Scotland? Itís available on the I player. Watched it in a very dusty room

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2019 13:43 by RiponFalcon.

markismith50 12 December, 2019 06:58
Hi GF, no problem at all with your comment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net