Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

SEASON CANCELLED - DUE TO CORONAVIRUS

RESULT:Friday 13th March Newcastle Falcons 41 v 0 Bedford Blues League Championship

Leeds game commentary
Discussion started by Monkey1 , 16 January, 2020 08:04
Leeds game commentary
Monkey1 16 January, 2020 08:04
Yes I know they are called some other name but to me they will always be Leeds. I will be going down to Headingley, one of the best away trips when they were in the Prem & I am sure it will be just as good on Sunday. For those unable to make it:

BBC Newcastle will bring you full match commentary of Yorkshire Carnegie v Newcastle Falcons from Headingley, Leeds on Sunday 19th January 2020. Ian Smith will be joined by former international referee John Pearson and the Man of Northern, Dean Gray with the guys on air from 255 pm ahead of an 3.00 pm kick off.

The game will be broadcast on BBC Newcastle 1458AM, DAB, Freeview Channel 719, the BBC Sports App and on-line via the BBC Rugby website. The link will be [www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Leeds game commentary
ed.up.north 16 January, 2020 08:28
I'm taking my boy - it's probably the only ground which is easier to get to than KP for me! Really looking forward to a good game.

Monkey1 16 January, 2020 12:26
I'm taking mine too. Look out for a dodgy looking bloke in a Northumbrian kilt with a 7yr old in tow (no kilt, discovered last weekend he has grown out of it) and say hello.

markismith50 19 January, 2020 14:33
Old man is having some Ďtechnical issuesí to put it mildly, so be prepared for this commentary potentially not happening. Working on it as we speak but prospects arenít great.

The Boyfriend 19 January, 2020 15:16
Has he tried turning something off and on again?! (Update much appreciated).

Foot Up 19 January, 2020 15:32
Sound now working for me. Falcons winning 12 - 10

pityacker 19 January, 2020 15:56
Falcons very poor so far and the selection with all the changes suggest they have taken Leeds lightly despite what has been said, a big step up needed in the second half.

The Boyfriend 19 January, 2020 17:03
I was only listening on the radio, but it sounded pretty poor again. I think it's important that these bonus point wins aren't creating any false sense of security re the actual standard of play.

stuart66 19 January, 2020 17:26
poor until connon and other subs came on

Foot Up 19 January, 2020 17:35
Nine games played and 42 points out of a max of 45 available isn't bad.

You can only play what is in front of you. The main thing is to keep on winning and get back up. I don't think anyone thinks this team is the finished article and a few key signings will be most welcome for next season, presuming we are promoted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2020 19:24 by Foot Up.

alchemist 19 January, 2020 17:45
Well done to the commentary team for their perseverance !!

ed.up.north 19 January, 2020 17:57
I was at the game and thought it was a fairly poor performance overall. Yes I know itís a bonus point win but rugby like this isnít going to get us very far in the Premiership. Arscott was hopeless again and Hodgson (who I usually rate) wasnít at his best.

On the plus side, our front row was excellent, Williams was outstanding as was Hodge. I thought Deanoís comment in the match report about Hodge ďlearning a lotĒ from this game was a bit condescending... the lad is dynamite and one of the standout players today. Swiel also looked pretty decent.

Handling errors were the main problem today and that has absolutely nothing to do with the team in front of you.

Falc Dancer 19 January, 2020 18:35
Sounded like another copy and paste job today
Won the game, for the bonus point but played poorly again

Second half better than the first. I did notice we brought in a whole new front row at HT as well

Wensleydale Falcon 19 January, 2020 18:41
Canít really see how Deans comment on Hodge is condescending. The lads only a kid, therefore he will have learnt a lot from todayís involvement in the game
He scored a cracking try and his performance will do him the world of good.
Absolutely delighted to see Jonny Williams back today....put in a good performance.

markismith50 19 January, 2020 18:54
The question Dean was asked related to Josh knocking on with his first contact, and how he bounced back to score. Hence the learning reference.

Leipziger 19 January, 2020 18:55
Made hard work of it but our fitness showed, and our scrum and maul were quite dominant. Hodge looked quite lively and deserved his try. I thought Peterson, Blamire and again Graham were good, Williams also good on his comeback. Not Arscot's best game and he and Hodge miscommunicated a couple of times. Another BP win which is what we came for, maybe it wasn't fantastic but was anything less than a 70-0 going to be good enough for some people?

Did anyone see Nagusa scuffling with one of their players on the floor? Looked to me like Nagusa punched the guy in the face, maybe a citing coming.

On the subject above of young ones, we took Little Leipy today and she watched quite a lot of the game, seemed to enjoy it :-)

ed.up.north 19 January, 2020 19:14
Didnít notice that but I was keeping my lad entertained while also watching the rugby! I wasnít personally expecting a huge score line but I do want to see evidence that we are correcting the errors which got us relegated in the first place. Great to see some of the less experienced lads get some decent game time, but the clumsy handling errors are not a reassuring sign.

dick g 19 January, 2020 19:51
Quote:
pityacker
Falcons very poor so far and the selection with all the changes suggest they have taken Leeds lightly despite what has been said, a big step up needed in the second half.

Phew! You had me worried there. This approach of absorbing pressure in the first half and applying it in the second produces half-time horrors. Even I had hoped, and expected, more from a top versus bottom clash. But a five pointer makes me a happy Falconista.

alas 19 January, 2020 20:54
Leeds were better than advertised in the first half, but the main reason they were still in the game after 50 minutes was poor play by the Falcons. No excuse for knocking the ball on about 20 times in dry, windless conditions.

ed.up.north 19 January, 2020 20:55
Quote:
markismith50
The question Dean was asked related to Josh knocking on with his first contact, and how he bounced back to score. Hence the learning reference.

Thanks Mark. On that basis, most of the squad should have learnt something today...

markismith50 19 January, 2020 21:10
Ed, the question put to Dean was specifically about Josh.

Monkey1 19 January, 2020 21:24
It was an awful game, nothing individual really, just all-round awful, yet we still took the 5 points. The team was disrupted by quite a few changes which would explain the passing to people who weren't where they were perhaps expected to be, but you would think that by now everyone would be up to speed & going through the drills on the training pitch so changing players shouldn't lead to this.

Same pattern as per most of this season, grind out the first half then run a shed load of points past them in the second. It seems to work, and there is nothing that the oppositions can do to stop it from working, so I imagine we will carry on like this. The new Headingley is quite something, just a pity that the Union club is in such a state. I have always wished that somehow Leeds would return to the Prem, I have always enjoyed my trips there, but short of a miracle, that is never going to happen.

Still a grand day out, and the attendance of 2100 was apparently quite something, they usually just get 250 or so. How that must feel in that wonderful & huge stadium doesn't bear thinking about.

ed.up.north 19 January, 2020 21:46
Quote:
Monkey1
It was an awful game, nothing individual really, just all-round awful, yet we still took the 5 points. The team was disrupted by quite a few changes which would explain the passing to people who weren't where they were perhaps expected to be, but you would think that by now everyone would be up to speed & going through the drills on the training pitch so changing players shouldn't lead to this.
Same pattern as per most of this season, grind out the first half then run a shed load of points past them in the second. It seems to work, and there is nothing that the oppositions can do to stop it from working, so I imagine we will carry on like this. The new Headingley is quite something, just a pity that the Union club is in such a state. I have always wished that somehow Leeds would return to the Prem, I have always enjoyed my trips there, but short of a miracle, that is never going to happen.

Still a grand day out, and the attendance of 2100 was apparently quite something, they usually just get 250 or so. How that must feel in that wonderful & huge stadium doesn't bear thinking about.

I agree it is a very impressive stadium. I think they fill it most weeks when Rhinos are at home but yes, it would be great for Leeds to be back on the Premiership map. Several existing Prem teams would kill for a stadium like that.

Bedlington Lad 20 January, 2020 07:50
Pleased we won, I have enjoyed trips to Leeds in the past, I guess they struggle to compete with rugby league. Shame really, we could do with more representation in the north

GeordieFalcon 20 January, 2020 10:59
Quote:
Monkey1

Monkey, is that a pattern that will work in the prem?

Monkey1 20 January, 2020 11:18
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Monkey, is that a pattern that will work in the prem?

Nope, but it is what works in the Champ, which I assume is why they are doing it, and we are not in the Prem at the moment. It uses our theoretical superior fitness to bash other clubs down, and obviously that won't be applicable if we get promoted, but it is applicable now.

GeordieFalcon 20 January, 2020 11:23
So the question..

Should we not be developing our game...as we are going through the season so that we have some experience in the style we hope to play in the prem?

steve1888 20 January, 2020 11:37
i'm stunned it wasn't a cricket score that belonged next door with super Joel at 10 in place of the evil Flood.

Havent seen any of it so all can really say is job done - 5 points acheived, some players given a run out and 9pts clear 42 from 45.

Monkey1 20 January, 2020 12:45
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
So the question..
Should we not be developing our game...as we are going through the season so that we have some experience in the style we hope to play in the prem?

That is pretty much what I asked when we had the chance to ask players questions. They said it doesn't work like that, you just have to get through the season, stay fit, stay up to speed, then start preparing for the Prem in pre-season. The game is perhaps getting too technical for we poor mortals to understand. What they said at the time made sense.

dick g 20 January, 2020 13:01
Quote:
steve1888
i'm stunned it wasn't a cricket score that belonged next door with super Joel at 10 in place of the evil Flood.
Havent seen any of it so all can really say is job done - 5 points acheived, some players given a run out and 9pts clear 42 from 45.

Use of the word "evil" is uncalled for. He might be bad and/or useless, but evil is a sorry misuse of the word.

Monkey1 20 January, 2020 13:17
I disagree Dick. Language changes through time, as does the acceptable or unacceptable use of words for certain meanings. Steve actually worded it as 'the evil Flood' which I interpreted as meaning that somehow Flood is demonic, and he has indeed been demonised by certain people on here, so in this context I feel it conveys the message correctly.

steve1888 20 January, 2020 13:37
Thanks Monkey, that was exactly what I meant

Leipziger 20 January, 2020 14:46
I was going to say that the Flood in the Bible was evil, but as it was sent by God, perhaps not. I'm confused now :-/

Monkey1 20 January, 2020 14:56
That was a flood Leipy, lower case. Steve was talking about a Flood, upper case.

And people say grammar is unimportant.

RiponFalcon 20 January, 2020 15:21
I think references to the evil Flood are justified as he would not change his name to Toby Blood to help those nice people on BT sport with their blood donation campaign
Also I was expecting a cricket score. Last time I was at Headingley England scored 67-10. I was expecting similar

Bedlington Lad 20 January, 2020 15:54
Shame Ripon didn't get 10 minutes at the end to show what he could do. Scoreline might have been closer!

NorfolkFalcon 20 January, 2020 20:25
Knock ons have been a regular comment this season, feels like itís mentioned every game.

I get that pressure from the opposition defence and big hits is going to cause knock ons, you have to accept itíll happen each game but the high rate of knock ons is alarming.

Monkey1 21 January, 2020 07:23
It could be a lack of pressure from oppositions NF. The knock-ons seem to be mainly a result of people being in the wrong place to receive the ball rather than not being able to catch the thing, and we don't lose the ball in contact very often. When we do commit this sin I usually find myself saying 'cr@p pass', which is possibly unfair to the passer, because the passee could well be to blame for being in the wrong place.

Just a thought.

dick g 21 January, 2020 09:17
Quote:
Monkey1
I disagree Dick. Language changes through time, as does the acceptable or unacceptable use of words for certain meanings. Steve actually worded it as 'the evil Flood' which I interpreted as meaning that somehow Flood is demonic, and he has indeed been demonised by certain people on here, so in this context I feel it conveys the message correctly.

Not sure the meaning of evil has changed. I suspect that the intent was to be ironic. This is one of the most difficult things to convey in the coldness of print. In my hacking years, I followed the useful convention of quotation marks which suggests that you are referring to what others have said as in suggesting this is how others have described him. "Evil" Flood does the trick.

Sorry to be pedantic, but after so long trying to get things right in print, it is difficult to change my ways. I will try harder to stop being such a picky pain.

Monkey1 21 January, 2020 09:53
No need to apologise Dick. We all need to be vigilant in the policing of the use & abuse of language, otherwise the country will go to the dogs.

ed.up.north 21 January, 2020 10:50
Quote:
Monkey1
It could be a lack of pressure from oppositions NF. The knock-ons seem to be mainly a result of people being in the wrong place to receive the ball rather than not being able to catch the thing, and we don't lose the ball in contact very often. When we do commit this sin I usually find myself saying 'cr@p pass', which is possibly unfair to the passer, because the passee could well be to blame for being in the wrong place.
Just a thought.

Interestingly Hodge's try (which was a wonderful try) was the result of the kind of scrappy handling that we see a lot. You can see a clip on the Championship twitter page. For some reason Salmon is playing first receiver (Connon caught up in the ruck but you'd expect the 12 to step forward). Daniels runs on to take from Salmon and either mis-times it, or Salmon's pass is poor. Waldouck then falls over trying to catch the ropey pass from Salmon - not sure whether he expected it or not. Hodge scoops up the loose ball and his footwork and pace gets him through the line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net