Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

SEASON CANCELLED - DUE TO CORONAVIRUS

RESULT:Friday 13th March Newcastle Falcons 41 v 0 Bedford Blues League Championship

Nottingham game commentary
Discussion started by Monkey1 , 22 January, 2020 19:30
Nottingham game commentary
Monkey1 22 January, 2020 19:30
BBC Newcastle will bring you full match commentary of Nottingham v Newcastle Falcons from Ladybay Stadium on Friday 24th January 2020. Ian Smith will be joined by former Scotland and Falcons Strength and Conditioning coach Andrew Smith, and the Man of Northern, Dean Gray, with the guys on air from 7.40 pm ahead of a 7.45 pm kick off.

The game will be broadcast on the BBC Sports App and on-line via the BBC Rugby website. The link will be [www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Nottingham game commentary
aidanb 24 January, 2020 19:46
Rant time

I never get a full games commentary of the falcons games

I could listen to the other games from half 7 not ours and then when it does come on thereís nowt but issues

Same as last game

Really really frustrating.

AJfalc 24 January, 2020 20:11
Wheeltappers and shunters time, come on Radio Newcastle - get it sorted

rubyrhone 24 January, 2020 20:11
How right ! I'm getting about 2/3rds so far with cut out always at crucial moments!
I often listen to Radio Devon for the Exeter games and that is fine.

aidanb 24 January, 2020 20:25
Could anyone also advise me on the bbc sports app.

On my iPod touch I can listen - as long as the broadcast holds up -

But on my phone the app just stops after about a minute.

RiponFalcon 24 January, 2020 20:25
Thought it could be my wifi but gone completely now

The Boyfriend 24 January, 2020 20:26
Constantly breaking up from the start and dead as a brick for several minutes now.

AJfalc 24 January, 2020 20:34
Down to 13 players but leading 12-0 at the break

Falc Dancer 24 January, 2020 20:36
12-0 up at HT
However we will have about 8mins of the second half with 13 players as Nagusa (38mins) and Hardie (39mins) both in the bin
Tries for McGuigan & Radwan

The Boyfriend 24 January, 2020 20:44
Just heard them say, they've got no ISDN line there, and Smithy also said earlier he's only got his phone for tweeting. Must be a right @#$%& for them all, so efforts much appreciated as always.

aidanb 24 January, 2020 20:50
Hastily adding that Iím not criticising people as such

NorfolkFalcon 24 January, 2020 20:50
Itís clearly beyond their control. Frustrating for fans but thatís the pitfalls of the Championship I suppose.

AJfalc 24 January, 2020 21:03
3rd yellow card, Flood off

Falc Dancer 24 January, 2020 21:03
A third yellow now
Flood off
Down to 12 men

Rogerandout 24 January, 2020 21:12
Horrific to think we are a Premiership standard side playing another side in the lower half of the Championship.
We are going up I donít doubt it. Respect to the squad and coaches for the results but I am shocked again at how poor our play is. I am utterly torn between hope and despair.

The Boyfriend 24 January, 2020 21:16
Hard to really comment when I'm only listening on the radio, but it sounds terrible...

Falcona 24 January, 2020 21:19
7 v 19 now

Leipziger 24 January, 2020 21:31
Can't remember ever seeing a team being down to 12 men!

Quote:
The Boyfriend
Just heard them say, they've got no ISDN line there, and Smithy also said earlier he's only got his phone for tweeting. Must be a right @#$%& for them all, so efforts much appreciated as always.

Sounds a bit, dare one say, ramshackle... (Sm159)

alas 24 January, 2020 21:35
Scraped a win 19 12. More dross with a side order of indiscipline.

Falcona 24 January, 2020 21:36
Newcastle Falcons
Just now ∑
‪FT: Nottingham 12 Newcastle Falcons 19. Falconsí tries by McGuigan Radwan and Peterson. Thanks to all who travelled.‬

AJfalc 24 January, 2020 21:36
Final score 12-19
Sounded terrible

aidanb 24 January, 2020 21:38
Quote:
Leipziger
Can't remember ever seeing a team being down to 12 men!
Quote:
The Boyfriend

Sounds a bit, dare one say, ramshackle... (Sm159)

This is very reminiscent of the turgid stuff we saw last time in the championship

But next season we will be the worst side in the prem by a long way and not able to rely on a poor couple of sides to bail us out.

I think I need a lie down.

telfs123 24 January, 2020 21:40
Another unacceptable, woeful performance. Basic skills again embarrassingly poor. And then we decided to throw terrible discipline in as well.

What do we do in the week in training? We have zero attacking structure. Is Walder's attacking strategy entirely "Run up with a forward" or "Pass it along the line until someone decided to run forward", interspersed with "Knock it on under zero pressure" and "blindly kick it away".

Looking forward to Deano blaming the shorter week (not an excuse), the light (what?), the ref (8 years of Deano and we still can't manage and adapt to a ref) and "going off script".

I'm just about done with this.

AJfalc 24 January, 2020 21:45
Looks like the weeks training involves running up sand dunes and throwing the ball at the crossbar.
Have they not opened the dvd that I sent them for Christmas ďthe 100 best triesĒ

PedroFalcon 24 January, 2020 22:33
Some people are never going to be happy. Top of the league by a mile, we've won every game all season and rotating the squad most matches to give the whole squad chances to play. You can only beat the team in front of you, we're not playing Exeter so we don't need to play brilliantly. It must be difficult to raise the intensity when the level of opposition is so poor, it's easy to be dragged down to their level.

It's not just our rugby fans who are delusional, the football fans are always complaining about something or other too. I'm so fed up of hearing people whinge about our sports teams when in reality they're both doing really good jobs given the circumstances.

Rant over.

CharlieDog 24 January, 2020 22:39
Pedro falcon

100% agree with you. Stand by for flack from the whingers

AJfalc 24 January, 2020 22:47
The blog is all about opinions
If you are happy with what you saw last season, what you are seeing this season and what you expect to see next season, then fine
I'm VERY concerned as to what I will be seeing next season.

pityacker 24 January, 2020 23:29
Quote:
AJfalc
The blog is all about opinions
If you are happy with what you saw last season, what you are seeing this season and what you expect to see next season, then fine
I'm VERY concerned as to what I will be seeing next season.

Totally agree 👍

ed.up.north 24 January, 2020 23:30
Quote:
PedroFalcon
Some people are never going to be happy. Top of the league by a mile, we've won every game all season and rotating the squad most matches to give the whole squad chances to play. You can only beat the team in front of you, we're not playing Exeter so we don't need to play brilliantly. It must be difficult to raise the intensity when the level of opposition is so poor, it's easy to be dragged down to their level.
It's not just our rugby fans who are delusional, the football fans are always complaining about something or other too. I'm so fed up of hearing people whinge about our sports teams when in reality they're both doing really good jobs given the circumstances.

Rant over.

There is some comfort in another win. The trouble with saying that weíre not playing a top team so donít need to be on top form, is that it implies we could switch it on if we needed to. I havenít seen any evidence of that and if it was true, why didnít we switch it on last season when we were getting thrashed repeatedly? On top of which, our own foul play has got nothing to do with the opposition in front of us.

Ben duckworth 25 January, 2020 00:26
Quote:
PedroFalcon

Rant over.

Iím sorry, but I was at the game, and Notts ran the falcons all over the place, if notts were more clinical in the opposition 22 then they would have won. You canít say the level of opposition is poor when youíve narrowly won 5/6 away games from home, you're just being premiership snobby. Granted, league winning teams grind out results, but when Bristol were last in this league, they destroyed everyone home and away, and look where they are now. Falcons seem to be playing at a level in between the champ and the prem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2020 00:28 by Ben duckworth.

NorfolkFalcon 25 January, 2020 07:23
Having looked at the pitch/conditions I said Iíd be happy with any type of win, so job done.

But I still have the belief that the squad/coaches require a overhaul.

RiponFalcon 25 January, 2020 08:58
I wasnít at the game last night and the yellow cards for Negusa and Hardie took place during one of the many periods of radio silence. Iím therefore unable to make any comments on the level of indiscipline. However the Robinson yellow against Donny and Floods last night appear to be acts of gross stupidity. We can all debate the merits of the coaching and tactics but experienced players should know better. Thatís at least the 3rd stupid yellow for Flood in the last 12 month that I can remember just off the top of my head. He receives some unjust criticism on here at times but the yellow cards are unforgivable

aidanb 25 January, 2020 09:10
Quote:
RiponFalcon
I wasnít at the game last night and the yellow cards for Negusa and Hardie took place during one of the many periods of radio silence. Iím therefore unable to make any comments on the level of indiscipline. However the Robinson yellow against Donny and Floods last night appear to be acts of gross stupidity. We can all debate the merits of the coaching and tactics but experienced players should know better. Thatís at least the 3rd stupid yellow for Flood in the last 12 month that I can remember just off the top of my head. He receives some unjust criticism on here at times but the yellow cards are unforgivable

Now I donít look at it like that.

I expect them to be on the edge and thus get yellow cards.

They train to cope with a yellow and they showed that last night which was a good thing.

Yellow cards are part of the game these days.

I see them as a badge of honour - or I did when I played

Monkey1 25 January, 2020 09:17
Quote:
aidanb
I see them as a badge of honour - or I did when I played

(Sm22)

I completely disagree, but that nearly made me spit out my coffee laughing.

dick g 25 January, 2020 09:32
Quote:
PedroFalcon

Rant over.

Totally with you Ped. But I'm not totally daft. We need to improve. However, I will begin to allow my doubts to subdue my positivity when promotion is more certain. OK. Waiting for posts saying by then it will be too late. Come on......

The Boyfriend 25 January, 2020 09:50
Quote:
Ben duckworth
Falcons seem to be playing at a level in between the champ and the prem.

I think that sums it up well.

Exiled Falcon 25 January, 2020 10:13
Not really sure I buy the difficulty in raising your game at this level mantra. New Zealand wouldnít lower their standards against vastly inferior opposition, if Liverpool played Hartlepool they wouldnít suddenly be poor, some of our guys are presumably playing to be retained next year, if it was me Iíd be desperate to put n a good performance every time I was picked.

Marco19819 25 January, 2020 13:10
Think the truth is somewhere "in between" the two sides.

On one hand:We are in a difficult position playing in a league where we are so superior. Psychologically it IS difficult to get up for games when you know you will win. (Before anyone says that they are "professoonals" I don't think that makes much difference. They are still humans)

On the other: we are stuck in a middle ground between Champ and premiership level and we aren't playing very impressively. The coaches ARE probably old fashioned in thir approach and perhaps a change might be worthwhile. It has to be the right person though...and that's not easy! We all know the answer to this, I'm afraid. I don't LIKE the idea of ring fencing in principle but until English rugby has the depth to support two competitive leagues there is little point in being relegated, particularly when we know it doesn't really matter when the club has significant shares in Prme rugby Ltd.

Exiled Falcon 25 January, 2020 13:50
Re your first point Marco, canít deny I havenít played sport to a high level, but played league cricket in the Borders and the West of Scotland for years. If I was playing against an obviously poorer team, Iíd be going in with the attitude that Iíd want to be plundering more runs and from taking more wickets. Rarely worked sadly because I was pretty average but you get the gist!

To put it into context the likes of Radwan and our backs should be looking to break try scoring records etc etc. I think if you can only get yourself Ďupí for Sarries, Exeter etc then there is seriously something wrong with your attitude. Itís the same with Celtic players who only seem revved up against England but no one else. If the coaching staff are happy with this attitude then theyíre just as culpable.

Wensleydale Falcon 25 January, 2020 14:32
Having being at the game last night the result never looked in doubt.
In absolute control for the first 35 minutes until we gave a needles penalty away on the half way line.
This led to a line out on our 5m line followed by two yellow cards in the space of two minutes.
We did remarkably well to contain them for so long when down to 13 and to be fair they were always going to break us eventually.
To win away from home at any level having had three yellows, to me shows that we have a great togetherness and strength of character.
You can call it poor discipline or poor refereeing (thought we got some harsh calls) the fact that we hung in was very impressive.
An enjoyable trip with my little one to a nice ground and another very good win in my book.

Marco19819 25 January, 2020 15:04
Exiled I completely respect your opinion and I am well aware of the counter arguments.

I still think I'm correct though. It's just human nature.

skip mcskipper 25 January, 2020 15:05
How did the centre pairing of Williams and Wakcokecoke go? Is it a pairing that looks like it might work?

Exiled Falcon 25 January, 2020 15:13
Maybe human nature Marco, but not sure it should be the mindset of a professional athlete however.

All cool, would be boring if everyone had the same opinion.

eebagum 25 January, 2020 17:51
Listening to some Nottingham Supporters last night ,,,who were saying that Falcons were Ďsupposed to be a Prem teamí
Letís face it we are not a Premiership team as we are. Last season we were relegated even with the likes of Mark Wilson, Chris Harris, Niki Goneva, Simon Hammersley, Will Witty, Josh Matavesi , Zach Kibirige and more in our Squad. We have replaced them by giving our Academy Lads a chance and signing players from Worcester and London Irish among others (and thatís not to discredit these players!) Today we have read of Mick Hogans take on the current Plight of English Rugby. I would suggest that we have put a squad together to help balance our books- and also take us back up into the Premiership. Last nightís performance gained a creditable result after an evening at the Nottingham Coalface - and another step towards this seasonís goal.
The massive job now is to maintain our momentum and win promotion, while at the same time making plans to put together a squad to make us into a Premiership Team. We can do our bit by turning out in numbers- and giving genuine support.

Robs 25 January, 2020 22:38
Spot on backwards Mugabee
Agree totally
Well said

Robs 25 January, 2020 22:55
[quote Ben duckworth][quote PedroFalcon]. when Bristol were last in this league, they destroyed everyone home and away, and look where they are now. .[/quote]

Just done a very quick scan after 10 games
Bristol 2017-18 played 10 won 10 points for 380 points against 194 points diff + 186 league pts 49
Newcastle 2020 played 10 won 10. Points for 294 points against 107 points diff + 187 league pts 46

Yes they scored more and have 3 more BPs but we have a similar points difference and we have ,I think, played 6 away games and 4 at home compared to Bristols 5/5

Wensleydale Falcon 25 January, 2020 23:28
Having gone to the Bristol game the season we finished 4th I have to say that they have a fantastic set up down there.
With home crowds pushing near to the 20k Mark this season they will be generating some substantial income streams.
I would be more than confident in saying that Bristols salary budget was somewhere in the region of about £2.5/ £3 million more than ours last season.
All things considered we are in a very good place as a club both on and off the pitch I believe.
Some may argue that they arenít too happy with our current brand of rugby and the fact that we arenít demolishing every team this season. Personally I will take the wins however they come as long as we achieve our goal of getting back into the Premiership.
Played 16 - won 16 in any sport, at any level,is,in my opinion pretty impressive to say the least.

Monkey1 26 January, 2020 09:44
I went to see Bristol play at Doncaster the season they got promoted, and although as you would expect they were winning games week after week with the squad they had put together, they were still way off being anything like a Premiership team. The overall impression that I remember was that they made far too many stupid mistakes, and allowed Donny to put up a good fight. Pretty much sums up what we are seeing, and it was indeed very similar.

limpopo 26 January, 2020 10:40
Quote:
CharlieDog
Pedro falcon
100% agree with you. Stand by for flack from the whingers
Make that three

Bedlington Lad 27 January, 2020 08:22
Another away win - not a great day in the office perhaps but job done. Not worried about next season till we get there, I'm not one for trying to cross bridges before I come to them. Roll on Feb 2nd, feels like ages since I've seen some live rugby at KP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net