Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Next two matches

Saturday 22nd February Newcastle Falcons v London Scottish 3pm Championship Cup 1/4 Final

Saturday 29th February Jersey Reds v Newcastle Falcons 3pm League Championship

RESULT:Sunday 16th February Newcastle Falcons 40 v 7 Cornish Pirates League Championship

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Opinions on additions needed next season (should we go up....)
Discussion started by Running Rugby , 22 January, 2020 19:42
Opinions on additions needed next season (should we go up....)
Running Rugby 22 January, 2020 19:42
As a bit of a distraction from all the Saracens nonsense...Ö

Looking ahead at the general make up of the Falcons squad, we do need a few quality additions to avoid a repeat of last year, as I believe, we could still struggle with this squad in the premiership next season.

So, lets take a look.....position by position

Loosehead
Adam Brocklebank, Sam Lockwood, Trevor Davison (can play both LH and TH), Logovi Mulipola (can play both LH and TH)
- maybe a bit of work needed in this area, with maybe one stand out starting loosehead being brought in, especially if the rumours of Mulipola leaving are true.

Hooker
George McGuigan, Jamie Blamire, Charlie Maddison, and Kyle Cooper (returning from loan)
- no problems there, especially with Cooper coming back from his loan at Exeter

Tighthead
Mike Daniels, Mark Tampin, Rodney Ah You, Jon Welsh, Trevor Davison (can play both LH and TH), Logovi Mulipola (can play both LH and TH)
- as with Loosehead, I think we could do with one or two quality operators at Tighthead, especially, as mentioned if Mulipola is rumoured to be off, and depending on the fitness of Jon Welsh and Rodney Ah You, who do not seem to have played much this season. Think and correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Daniels just sign up for one season?

Lock
Sean Robinson, Darren Barry, Sebastien De Chaves, Greg Peterson, Toby Salmon, Will Montgomery
- Would like to see Will Montgomery given a run of games this season, to see what he has got.
I think we lack a bit of premiership quality in the second row and would like to see maybe two brought in. Think De Chaves is signed up for just this season.

Back Row/Number 8
Callum Chick, Connor Collett, Guy Graham, Gary Graham, John Hardie, Will Welch, Nemani Nagusa, Simon Uzokwe, Phiip van der Walt, Mark Wilson (returning from loan)
- Easily our strongest position, no work needed (especially with a strong set of academy lads underneath)

Scrum Half
Tane Takulua, Micky Young, Sam Stuart, Cameron Kelemeti, Callum Pascoe
- again, another strong area for the Falcons, backed up by two of England's brightest youngsters

Fly Half
Toby Flood, Joel Hodgson, Brett Connon, Will Haydon-Wood, Joel Matavesi
- a lot depends on whether Connon, Haydon-Wood and/or Matavesi jr, are given gametime this season, as I believe, Connon especially has the potential to be our starting 10 next season and save us a lot of money. Does Toby have another season in him?

Centre
Jonny Williams, George Wacokecoke, Ben Steveson, Dom Waldouck, Gareth Owen, Charlie Wilson
- some strength here, with Williams return from injury and the form of Wacokecoke and Stevenson, but some depth needed to cover the losses of Matavesi sr, and Tom Penny.

Wing
Adam Radwan, Sinoti Sinoti, Cooper Vuna, Morgan Passman, Josh Hodge (can play wing and Fullback)
- definite need of improvement here. Sinoti is getting on, Vuna has hardly played, and although Radwan has been the star of the season, he cannot do it on his own. Will be interesting to see if Passman gets a chance when he recovers from injury. I would say maybe two wingers needed. Is Hodge considered a winger or fullback by the coaches?

Fullback
Tom Arscott, Alex Tait, Tim Swiel, Josh Hodge
For me, Hodge should now be our starting fullback, Alex Tait will always be solid back up, can Arscott be considered a premiership standard fullback? and Swiel has been a huge disappointment or me.
I would say that we need an extra premiership quality fullback to back up Josh Hodge.

So that's
LH x 1 (premiership standard starter)
TH x 2 (premiership standard starter)
LK x 2 (at least one premiership standard starter and one to provide competition)
FH x 1 (depending on the promotion of Connon, if not then we need a top quality FH)
CE x 2 (squad cover)
WG x 2 (depending on the futures of Vuna and Sinoti and the progress of Passman)
FB x 1 (premiership standard back up for Hodge)

In conclusion, that would make, 11 players in for me, although, maybe some promotions from the academy could bring that number down a bit.

Not sure on any names, but I am sure I could come up with names if pressed.

Any thoughts?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2020 13:30 by Running Rugby.

Re: Opinions on additions needed next season (should we go up....)
dick g 22 January, 2020 19:57
This analysis reads pretty well to me.

RiponFalcon 22 January, 2020 20:13
Pretty accurate for me too
What is the position with the players who left? Are some of them only on 1 year contracts?
I would happily take Witty and Harris back

Monkey1 22 January, 2020 20:28
That's a cracking bit of work RR, well thought out & well presented. I can't really argue with any of it but would urge thoughts along the lines of retaining as much continuity as possible, but only if they start to play more like a well rehearsed team as the season goes on, not less. We have to be honest, Sunday's performance against a bunch of students (no insult intended, a lot of them are students) was not exactly inspiring.

We also have to temper our aspirations according to our budget, so maybe wishing for 3 expensive props is a little ambitious, and I think we would probably be ok with one more + replacing any who depart over the summer. Not ideal, but ok.

I agree that we have no concerns at all in hooker, back row, and scrummie, and would add centres to that list. We should be ok on wing & fullback as long as Radwan & Hodge get plenty of game time in the remaining games. Forget Passman for a while, even if he is up to speed for pre-season, he isn't going to get the experience he needs, so at best will be drip fed into the team from the bench as next season trundles on. Deano's record of punting young players into the fray is threadbare, so Passman may spend another season at DMP and not even be drip fed.

At Fly half, my understanding is that Flood has signed on until the end of days, presumably for his experience. We all have to be honest whether we like him as a player or not, he isn't getting any quicker, but I bet he brings a lot into helping the junior players along, and not just at FH. We desperately need Brett to get plenty of game time during the remaining games, then I would feel comfortable enough with Joel & Brett taking the strain, with Flood available to be wheeled out at times too, but that would definitely be my pecking order if we face Premiership opposition again.

A fullback also able to play wing, or vice-versa would make me more comfortable.

My real concern is Lock, but I couldn't say why. Maybe it is because we have historically been awash with the lanky second-rowers, and presently we look a bit thin on the ground. We need de Chaves, Montgomery & Salmon to show us what they can do before we can judge them. Too much remains unknown about those three. Montgomery certainly has potential, but like so many others in the squad he is desperately in need of game time. Barry has looked good, Robinson is excellent.

That's my top of the head thoughts, and thanks for the opportunity to think about something other than, well, you know what for twenty minutes.

Falconsfan93 22 January, 2020 23:32
Brilliantly broken down RR, I agree with most of whatís been said! I do however feel we need a big bruiser of a centre. The ones you see in the SA super rugby teams! I think a few decent premiership quality additions and we should be ok for the first season back.

ed.up.north 23 January, 2020 06:44
Great analysis and I canít really disagree with any of whatís been said here. I think Peterson has been one of our best recent signings and I think him and Robinson would be an excellent first choice partnership for the second row.

Iím a big Connon fan and I agree he could really be our 10 of the future.

I agree about needing a bit more strength on the wing and I would say we need another quality fullback, but we havenít exactly tested our options this season. Arscott seems to start most games there even though heís not a good fullback (defensively poor) and yet Swiel, who I think is a decent player, doesnít get much exposure. So who knows if we really do need extra depth there or not?

AFalcon24 23 January, 2020 13:27
Really like this very well put together.

Running Rugby 23 January, 2020 13:27
Thanks for the kind words....

Maybe the three props was a tad ambitious, but I see a weakness there that needs to be filled with some quality.

Lock is also a concern of mine and is the area that needs the most work in my opinion.

Flood is one of my favourite players and has been for years, but he has lost a step and is getting on a bit, so unless, one of Connon or Haydon-Wood are given a chance, then reinforcements are required. Not saying we have to go for a big bucks all singing all dancing 10, but someone in the mould of a younger Jimmy Gopperth would do the job. I simply do not think Joel Hodgson can cut it as a premiership starting 10.

I would like to see the likes of Hodge, Montgomery, Kelemeti, Connon, and maybe even players like Rob Farrar, Charlie Wilson, Tom Marshall, Guy Graham and Simon Uzokwe given more opportunities this season, the latter few should be given a crack in the championship cup, so they have time to prove themselves. Which could save some money in the long term.

What has happened to Connor Collett, came in with a decent reputation, and seems to have been forgotten about. Has he even started a first team game since signing?

The interesting part of this summer is going to be who Deano keeps, or rewards new contracts too, as a good few were proven to be not good enough for premiership rugby last season.

I know it is not the Falcons way to release a list of leavers etc, but it would be interesting to see who's contracts are coming up for renewal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2020 13:29 by Running Rugby.

GeordieFalcon 23 January, 2020 13:33
Props: Need overhauled, sadly even Jon Welsh who just looks like hes done.

Hooker: No issues

Locks: Robinson class, the rest hard to judge? We need a powerhouse for the scrum (peole often forget the locks have as much influence on the scrums as props do! Motgommery needs to develop physically still ...too lightweight as yet.

Back Row: No Issues

9's: No Issues

10's: Cant see Flood staying next season. Im not convinced Hodgson will make the starting spot his own either. So id let both go...bring in a real quality 10 (doesnt have to be a big name) and have Connon, Haydon Wood and Matavesi as back up.

Centres: Let Owen go, and if Waldouck is a coach end his gametime. We need a leader in the midfield to pair with Johnny. The other kids are excellent...Wakecoke has been very good.

Wings: Major overhaul. We'll need to sign a couple

FB: Major Overhaul. Remove some..sign a couple. Hodge fleeting between wing and FB as he develops.

Coaching & Tactics: Radical Overhaul.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2020 13:36 by GeordieFalcon.

Running Rugby 23 January, 2020 13:52
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Coaching & Tactics: Radical Overhaul.

This point for me is also a major issue.
We need to do something about the coaches and/or the man in charge (Dean Richards).
The Falcons have gone from playing one season of fantastic rugby (when we finished 4th), to the next resulting in relegation and some of the worst rugby of the recent Falcons era.

Yes, we lost a few players of experience, but instead of kicking on, reverted back to the Richards/Wells type, of slow turgid rugby, which has continued this season, with the flair only coming out on rare occasions when the likes of Radwan and Wacokecoke get involved.

For the future of the club and to avoid a repeat of seasons past, I would also like to see a top to bottom coaching overhaul, including replacing Dean Richards, who barring one good season, has had us finishing as 11th or 12th, including one relegation.

The difference between the quality of the premiership and championship is massive, as shown by the Falcons being far and away the worst team in the premiership last season, and now far and away the best team in the championship this season.

The current tactics will not cut it in the premiership and there does not seem to be much of either a willing or ability to change, this is down to the men in charge and the coaching set up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2020 13:57 by Running Rugby.

GeordieFalcon 23 January, 2020 14:17
RR -i think its probably my biggest gripe.

We have the players..ive always said Dean actually recruits well regardless of the budget

We have fast, aggressive powerful forwards...we should be playing a fast high tempo game when appropriate, and kick / territorial when appropriate - and the lineout needs to improve dramatically.

When do we see our pack working in smaller groups, smashing the rucks offering quick ball with other forwards smashing through right on the fringe of the ruck for the pop looking to break the gainline or running in to space rather than at the defenders. Pace pace pace.

...When do we see our backs showing inteligence. When do we see them running back against the traffic, running accurate angles, breaking the gainline. Where is the support for the quick offloads.
Ironcially one of the only ones who did that was Simon Hammersley.

Too often its ponderous, left to right...pass to the next man..with little options on offer. How often is it left to Radwan or Sinotti to perform magic to score. Why dont these guys get the ball in decent space...imagine what Sinoti could have done with some space instead of just getting the ball with 3/4/5/6 defenders almost on top of him.

Theres a total lack of pace and intelligence in the side.

And before any one starts im sick of hearing that we want 7's rugby. I most certainly dont.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2020 14:31 by GeordieFalcon.

Falc Dancer 23 January, 2020 14:29
I think we need to prioritise Full back, Fly half and Loosehead. We also need a second row and centre as well. We have enough depth (based upon current squad) at Hooker, Scrum half and back row.

As good as Hodge could be, heís played 1 Championship game and it would be a big risk to throw him in as number 1 full back this soon
Examples of international full backs rumoured to be available who Hodge could learn from are - Abendanon, Halfpenny, Maitland. We havenít had a top full back since Matt Burke.

Does Flood play on next big season? If not we should have plenty money to play with to replace him. Joel is well liked by the coaches , we know he has ability to unlock defences but can he play well enough to take us up the league?

A strong scrum is a Premiership must. A big positive in the front row would be if Welsh stayed fit. Heís a top player and we have missed him
As Logo is rumoured to be leaving, he frees up a sizeable salary to bring in a top loosehead to be paired with Welsh

I am not naive enough to believe that these players will come cheap but considering we have lost big earners such as Goneva, Green, Hammersley, Harris, Matavesi. Add to this that we havenít paid Marks wages this season and a sizeable by amount of Coopers wages as well as allowing Mermoz and Van Der Merve to leave, this must free up space within our budget. This is without considering any monies received as part of CVC takeover and Sarries penalties. Of course this is all guess work

Running Rugby 23 January, 2020 14:43
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
RR -i think its probably my biggest gripe.
We have the players..ive always said Dean actually recruits well regardless of the budget

We have fast, aggressive powerful forwards...we should be playing a fast high tempo game when appropriate, and kick / territorial when appropriate - and the lineout needs to improve dramatically.

When do we see our pack working in smaller groups, smashing the rucks offering quick ball with other forwards smashing through right on the fringe of the ruck for the pop looking to break the gainline or running in to space rather than at the defenders. Pace pace pace.

...When do we see our backs showing inteligence. When do we see them running back against the traffic, running accurate angles, breaking the gainline. Where is the support for the quick offloads.
Ironcially one of the only ones who did that was Simon Hammersley.

Too often its ponderous, left to right...pass to the next man..with little options on offer. How often is it left to Radwan or Sinotti to perform magic to score. Why dont these guys get the ball in decent space...imagine what Sinoti could have done with some space instead of just getting the ball with 3/4/5/6 defenders almost on top of him.

Theres a total lack of pace and intelligence in the side.

And before any one starts im sick of hearing that we want 7's rugby. I most certainly dont.

Yeah, I agree with all of that.
What would you do GF, bring in a new set of coaches to work with Deano or replace him and the whole coaching team?
Any suggestions, if the latter?

I wonder if Alex Sanderson could be tempted by a DOR/Head coach role ala Paul Gustard at Quins. Would he be available and willing now that Saracens are condemned to the championship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2020 15:33 by Running Rugby.

GeordieFalcon 23 January, 2020 14:45
Quote:
Falc Dancer
A strong scrum is a Premiership must. A big positive in the front row would be if Welsh stayed fit. Heís a top player and we have missed him
As Logo is rumoured to be leaving, he frees up a sizeable salary to bring in a top loosehead to be paired with Welsh

I think Welsh needs to be a big decsion. If hes not fit, then he needs to be released. When did he last play for us?
ALso locks are a big part of the scrum. A good scrummaging lock is like having an extra man in there. Are our locks good enough ? We cant really judge yet, but im nost sure they will be,

AJfalc 23 January, 2020 19:38
Oh dear, the optimism police will be on your case
Remember we have finished 4th recently
Remember we have some great academy players coming through
Remember we are 9 points clear at the top of the league
Remember we are unbeaten in all competitions this season

Exiled Falcon 23 January, 2020 20:20
I would kind of ask Falc Dancer why Hodge has featured so rarely? Does Eddie rate him far more than our own coaching staff? Agree re Abendanon however, terrific player.

Re locks, Iíd like to see Salmon and Robinson get an extended run. Not really sure the others are Premiership material but as with a few youngsters, would like to see Monty given a bit more game time.

May not be popular, but still think Flood has a role, we are far too eager to get rid of experienced players.

RiponFalcon 23 January, 2020 20:32
Hodge has been injured. He has played about a game and a half for Darlington MP and the Melrose game. So only available for first team recently. He will now be missing until mid March as I guess he will play all u20 six nations games if fit and will be rested during the off weeks.
He took a massive hit on his first carry on Sunday and has a bit of filling out to do but certainly had the talent to play Premiership rugby and potentially be an England regular

Running Rugby 23 January, 2020 20:33
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
May not be popular, but still think Flood has a role, we are far too eager to get rid of experienced players.

I am not advocating getting rid of Toby Flood, far from it, as I say he has been and is one of my favourite players, and I do 100% think that there is still a role for him within the squad. I was thinking it would be interesting if the coaches handed him a role with the academy or in and around the youngsters somewhere, as he must be a well of knowledge.

Would just like to see Brett Connon getting a shot as he looked good in the premiership last season, when given his chance. I am of the opinion he could be, potentially, the best 10 we have on our books, but will never realise that potential sitting on the bench or playing for the A team.

Experience is vital to help the young players along and I am by no means saying get rid of any experienced players, but if there are better players in the same position that have more long term potential, why not give them a chance.

Regarding the optimism police.....
I am of the opinion that in the premiership this group of players and coaches may not be fully up to the task, hence the relegation, that is an opinion and mine alone, if others agree then good and if others don't and have differing opinions then fair play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/01/2020 20:37 by Running Rugby.

AJfalc 24 January, 2020 07:29
Regarding the optimism police.....
I am of the opinion that in the premiership this group of players and coaches may not be fully up to the task, hence the relegation, that is an opinion and mine alone, if others agree then good and if others don't and have differing opinions then fair play.

I too am worried as to what is going to happen next season, if we go up, not sure any lessons have been learnt after last seasonís debacle.

Barry555 24 January, 2020 18:08
Not sure theyíll be much addition to the squad next year as it tends to be a 2 year cycle of clear outs. I think this would be Floodís last year although if he stayed on I wouldnít complain. But if an establish quality fly half comes available Iíd like to think weíd have a go of getting them. Same with the 15 position.

Probably good to go through the Prem squads and see whoís contract is up this year and see who could be available. Although Dean has got habit of random obscure signings which sometimes work out well. Wonder what league heíll choose to pick from for next season?

Leipziger 24 January, 2020 20:17
Especially if Logo leaves we need a competent Premiership tighthead, Welsh hasn't played since November 2018 and Ah You seems to struggle to stay fit so we probably can't rely on either of them.

Two new back 3s to be first choices alongside Radwan would be good, Sinoti doesn't seem the player he was and Tait isn't getting any younger. Maybe a centre alongside Williams while Wacokecoke and Stevenson get experience.

I'm quite happy with the second rows. Fly-half is quite uncertain, I'm happy with Hodgson as first choice but Connon needs to get some starts if he's going to be as ready as possible for next season. What happens with Flood will be a big factor, he's clearly not the player he was but may stick around, hopefully in a supporting role to the other two and possibly doing some coaching.

NorfolkFalcon 24 January, 2020 20:53
Definitely agree that we need to invest heavily at the prop position. Establishing dominance in the front row is crucial especially at the Premiership level where penalties and subsequent field position is key.

Marco19819 24 January, 2020 21:53
Prop would be my only focus really. I would clear the decks and trim the squad but rely on young players but put all my transfer eggs in the "solid set piece" basket.

Then possibly pick:

2. Cooper/blamire/mcguigs
4. Robinson
5. Peterson
6. Graham/uzokwe/farrar
7. Welch/Hardie
8. Van der Walt/ Chick/ Nagusa
9. Taka/pascoe
10. Connon/haydon wood
11. Radwan
12. Williams
13. Wacokecoke
14. Stephenson
15. Hodge

We aren't going to be successful as a club because of signings we make. The only way is to grow the team from young players

telfs123 24 January, 2020 21:56
Tonight a perfect example of why our coaching and management team needs a complete overhaul. It was clueless.

We made top 4 once based on sheer dumb luck at the end of games and having 2 of the best wingers the Prem has ever seen, masking a whole host of flaws.
The simple fact is that Deano clearly believes that the tactics we adopted last season were not a problem, and in fact were the correct way to go forward. I talked to a Premiership coach after last season at a summer festival. Their comment was "All you did to defend Newcastle was play high on their wingers and if you didn't miss a tackle they'd hardly score any points". And that was embarrassingly true.

The time to replace the lot of them was at the end of last season. The peak of which was the Leicester match where we came out and just kicked the ball to George Ford for 30 minutes, clearly as a planned tactic. In terms of coaching, Dave Walder manages our attack. It doesn't exist. Ward manages our scrum. It is repeatedly victimised, even by Championship teams. McLeod with the lineout. It's dire. The only person adequately coaching his area is Wells with defence. Regardless, a clear out is needed.

Potential candidates for the top job? Ali Hepher, Alex Sanderson, Ben Ryan and Stuart Lancaster would be my top 4. We're likely paying Deano a big sum, so splashing out for a DoR is clearly not out of the question.

I say all this, it's not going to happen. Which is the most depressing part of this all. There is a slow resignation and realisation on this board that this is what it's going to be. We have to live with Deano's management of young players (never play them unless injury forces it, then drop them for average journeymen, then they leave), his condescending excuses post match, his pathetic passive aggressive comments when players leave and his outdated policies on injury updates and player departures. We have to live with an attacking game plan put together by an U8s coach. And we will then likely have to live with a catastrophically bad season next year.

AJfalc 24 January, 2020 21:59
Telfs I am starting to agree with you
I have never slagged a player or coach but something is seriously wrong

Running Rugby 24 January, 2020 22:28
Totally agree with all of that telfs, and to be honest, for all that he has done for the club, I am starting to question Semore Kurdi and his knowledge of the game.

Surely he has got to see what we can see and that is that this group of coaches and players are woefully not up to the standard required to succeed at the top end of English rugby, not even in the same universe. Something needs to be done!

I am beginning to wonder if Dean Richards has too much influence over Kurdi...because with this lot, regardless of winning games in a far inferior league, the club is simply going to yo yo back to the championship........realistically how long will the club financially survive this happening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/01/2020 22:31 by Running Rugby.

Osric 25 January, 2020 08:45
Why were we relegated?

If the gossip is true, we reduced the players budget by a fifth although we still overspent, thereby relying on Semore's deep pockets (thanks).

Was it our inability to score or our weakness in defence? Was it set piece penalties? Was it loss of turnover ball? Was it lack of fitness? Lack of squad depth? Biased refereeing? Inability to look after players conditioning and fitness?

Answer these questions (and probably others) and we have the answer to who we need to recruit.

trummy200 25 January, 2020 13:31
Also depends on the money available to do the recruiting !

Falc Dancer 26 January, 2020 12:28
Rugby paper scattergun approach to transfers strikes again. We have been linked to Sarries scrum half Ben Spencer along with nearly every premiership club

Also Rugbypass says Greg Laidlaw to sign for Perpignan

Falconsfan93 26 January, 2020 14:09
My personal opinion is that Dean Richards and the rest of the back room should of been gone as soon as last season ended. You look at the 17/18 season where we finished fourth a fantastic season no doubt BUT did we really play that great ? IMO no we didnít and since Dean has been in charge itís been horrific to watch and when you look at the facts in the time heís been in charge weíve finished 11th/11th/11th/8th/4th/12th thatís not really progression we had a fantastic opportunity to really kick on after 17/18 but instead we signed journeyman and Dean seems to insist on not giving youth a chance seemingly stunting there development you only have to look at Kibirige and see heís new flourishing under Dai Young. We quite clearly head and shoulders above the opposition in the championship but we still get again seem to be playing the same turgid game plan fling it across the field back and fourth truck it up and go again. I really canít see us staying up next season if we do go up this year.

Running Rugby 26 January, 2020 14:58
Quote:
Falconsfan93
My personal opinion is that Dean Richards and the rest of the back room should of been gone as soon as last season ended. You look at the 17/18 season where we finished fourth a fantastic season no doubt BUT did we really play that great ? IMO no we didnít and since Dean has been in charge itís been horrific to watch and when you look at the facts in the time heís been in charge weíve finished 11th/11th/11th/8th/4th/12th thatís not really progression we had a fantastic opportunity to really kick on after 17/18 but instead we signed journeyman and Dean seems to insist on not giving youth a chance seemingly stunting there development you only have to look at Kibirige and see heís new flourishing under Dai Young. We quite clearly head and shoulders above the opposition in the championship but we still get again seem to be playing the same turgid game plan fling it across the field back and fourth truck it up and go again. I really canít see us staying up next season if we do go up this year.

Those league position stats should be the be all and end all of any club. Rugby is a results driven business and to basically finish one above the relegation places in three out of five years and be relegated in the sixth says it all, surely!?

Semore Kurdi surely cannot be happy with these stats and if he is then I would question his ambition, as surely any owners goal is to make the team as successful as possible, and being in the bottom two for four of the last six years is not acceptable by anyone standards.

The coaches simply do not seem to be getting the best out of the players they have available. This is evident by seeing the likes of Chris Harris, Simon Hammersley, Zack Kibirige, Glen Young (who is very underrated), all flourishing as part of premiership sides that know how to utilise their talents.

The same is happening this season. We actually do have some good players who would still get into a few premiership sides, but they do not seem to be living up to their potential, and although the wins are there, the performances are not and that will continue to be a factor if and when the falcons are promoted, as history has set the precedent under Dean Richards. We basically do not have a main core identity or strength that other teams will be looking at and thinking we have to contain that part of their game. We have a poor scrum, a poor lineout, little to no backs moves or invention and definitely no plan B, and this is simply down to the way the players are coached on a daily basis. It has looked like these group of players have never met never mind played and trained together, at some points this season.

The whole thing of seemingly not taking any sort of chance on younger players is also a mystery to me. Would we have players like Owen Farrell, Maro Itoje, Alex Dombrandt, Tom Curry, Olly Thorley, and others at the top of the English game had their respective coaches not taken a chance and instead gone for a quote on quote, tried and tested experienced players...Ö.the answer is an obvious no.

Now I am not saying have a team completely made of academy lads but I would have thought that the championship was the perfect opportunity to build a squad of younger players ready for next season, instead of holding them back in favour of journeymen who nobody else wanted, as they supposedly have what it takes to get the team out of this league. The fact is that we could even put out a full academy squad and probably get enough points for promotion, as is the lack of quality in this league, compared to the premiership.

I am also not wanting to be spending big money on players but am simply asking for a couple of quality additions to supplement the potential in the squad. I know we cannot compete with the top sides financially, but there are some good players out their that will not necessarily command big wages, you just have to know where to look.

And before anyone comes up and starts to call me a whinger or anything like that, I would ask them......have I or anyone else ever came on here and resorted to petty name calling, and have any of us so called whingers ever questioned the opinion of others? No to both.

We are simply giving our two cents of what we think and do not need or wish to be called whingers, doom mongers etc, but to simply have our opinions respected as we respect others thoughts and comments.

So lets all respect each others opinions, and have a constructive debate. We do not all have to agree, but we also do not need to be labelled as whingers and what not. We are all on the same side after all and want OUR team to do well and be successful.

Rant over.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 26/01/2020 15:04 by Running Rugby.

Rogerandout 26 January, 2020 18:59
A very interesting thread and I am in broad agreement with the majority. Set piece and fly half are probably the most important areas in any match in any weather in any era.
I think it is clear that we have failed to dominate this season in the set piece which to my mind means the front and second rows are a priority. Flood is ageing, neither Hodgson nor Connon seem to be trusted.
Our back row seems pretty good we seem short on the wing and perhaps in the centre now as a consequence of the departures.
As regards the coaching our defence is good, perhaps very good. Our decoy lines in the backs seem non existent and I fear that our love of the extravagant tries discourages structured attack as seen by Northampton and Quins. It could be the other way around and we only get the extravagant tries due to the lack of phases and structure.If we are to progress with the set piece and fly half it now looks like being over the summer.
We are almost certainly going up. We donít have much cash, we arenít in a fancied part of the country and we have small crowds. It is going to be tough to survive next year. Unless there is a ring fencing move which despite its drawbacks probably helps us more than anyone.
As I have previously stated I fluctuate between hope and despair!

Exiled Falcon 26 January, 2020 20:13
Quote:
Running Rugby
Now I am not saying have a team completely made of academy lads but I would have thought that the championship was the perfect opportunity to build a squad of younger players ready for next season, instead of holding them back in favour of journeymen who nobody else wanted, as they supposedly have what it takes to get the team out of this league. The fact is that we could even put out a full academy squad and probably get enough points for promotion, as is the lack of quality in this league, compared to the premiership.

And before anyone comes up and starts to call me a whinger or anything like that, I would ask them......have I or anyone else ever came on here and resorted to petty name calling, and have any of us so called whingers ever questioned the opinion of others? No to both.

We are simply giving our two cents of what we think and do not need or wish to be called whingers, doom mongers etc, but to simply have our opinions respected as we respect others thoughts and comments.

So lets all respect each others opinions, and have a constructive debate. We do not all have to agree, but we also do not need to be labelled as whingers and what not. We are all on the same side after all and want OUR team to do well and be successful.

Rant over.

Two fantastic points (amongst others), if Quins, Saints, Briz etc can play youngsters and play them regularly why canít we? Fridayís team against a pretty ordinary Nottingham had, what, one or two academy guys. Who was our last Marcus Smith, Alex Dombrandt or Harry Randall? I said at the beginning of the season I didnít care if we went up by a single point as long as a load of youngsters had been blooded and prepared otherwise itís a huge wasted opportunity. So far this is the case, in my opinion anyway.

Re whingers, Iím sorry we should be walking this league even if me and Mrs Falcon played on the wings, our points won and position in the league shouldnít really be a surprise and if it is you seriously underestimate the quality of our squad. I find it quite sad that so many people bemoan our playing style, lack of handling skills, woeful lineout and usage of journeymen in place of promising youngsters, but I find it even sadder that people with these opinions who want nothing more than to see shoots of improvement are labelled as whingers. Our aim this year shouldnít be promotion and nothing else, it should be building and preparing for the future.

GeordieFalcon 27 January, 2020 10:34
Paul Hill the once much hyped you Tight head is being released by Saints. Now he would be worth a punt. If w could revitalise him...he was a cracking scrummaging tank.

Exiled Falcon 27 January, 2020 10:42
Would take him and dare I say it, Dom Barrow who seems to be doing nothing. Huge waste of a talent.

GeordieFalcon 27 January, 2020 11:07
Yeah i would have a punt on HIll EF. Worth a shot because theres definately a good player in there.

I was also thinking about how many kids have been blooded this season so far.

Would you agree this is what they have been given?

Group 1
Jamie Blamire - Played last season but has played much more this season - and played very well.
Rob Farrar - Young flanker has made quite a few appearances at flanker and lock
George Wacokecoke - Played almost every game...and looks a gresat prospect
Adam Radwan - Playing every game.
Ben Stevenson - Played a large number of games so far, scoring tries.
Josh Hodge - Played more recently after injury. Hopefully comtinues to get plenty.
Brett Connon - Played bits n bobs.

Group 2
Other who have played a few mins / briefly (Melrose game in particular comes to mind)
Josh Basham
Charlie Wilson
Oscar Caudle Prop
Conrad Cade Prop
Will Montgommery
Cameron Kelemeti
Joel Matavesi
Chidera Obonna

Morgan Passman would probably have been given quite a bit of gametime prior to his injury

So kids have been given gametime, i guess it just depends on how much people think they should be getting. Theres probably not a huge number of Group 2 that would be pushing for starting spots but the likes of Kelemeti, CHarlie Wilson etc maybe should have had more than they have?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2020 11:14 by GeordieFalcon.

pityacker 27 January, 2020 12:25
Paul Hill a player I like but has gone a bit stale of late maybe a new club would freshen him up , Dont know what Dom Barrow has been up to but is certainly a class above the 4 locks we recruited for this season.

GeordieFalcon 27 January, 2020 12:39
I wouldnt even say he went Stale Pityacker....it just never started for him following his much talked about move to Saints.

He needs a fresh start and some one who can revitalize him. We did it with Kieran Brookes...
We're losing Mulipola by all accounts, Jon Welsh hasnt played in over a year and has huge question marks over him now so thats 2 down straight away.

Id take the gamble.

There's 35 seconds to go 27 January, 2020 12:53
Dom Barrow has retired and runs an electric car charging point installation company.

[twitter.com]

ed.up.north 27 January, 2020 12:56
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
I wouldnt even say he went Stale Pityacker....it just never started for him following his much talked about move to Saints.
He needs a fresh start and some one who can revitalize him. We did it with Kieran Brookes...
We're losing Mulipola by all accounts, Jon Welsh hasnt played in over a year and has huge question marks over him now so thats 2 down straight away.

Id take the gamble.

Paul Hill was earning England caps in 2016 but I think he had a long spell off the field with serious injuries (including a long-term neck injury, I think). He's a good player and still only 24.

GeordieFalcon 27 January, 2020 13:36
What we need is another Taione Vea who looked like a top class TH on our books...before his sad retirement.

Exiled Falcon 27 January, 2020 13:47
Good luck to Dom, was a fantastic player with us and seems a waste of a talent although naturally don't know the circumstances.

Geordie, nice work with the Group 1 and Group 2 lists. I would almost say Radwan is beyond the academy stage and should be classed as a first team player so I don't include him in the youngsters, same with Connon, he's been kicking around for a while now.

Therefore out of your Group 1 I'd agree Stevenson and Wacokecoke have been given a good shot and both have taken their chances. Haven't seen Farrar for at least 6 games and yes, Hodge has been injured and is now away. Blamire is also benefitting from a good run too.

Therefore really a limited few have been given regular chances, in the last cup game v Donny there were only arguably 2/3 genuine academy players.

I know there are arguments against playing too many however I personally feel maybe a couple more could get a run out, obviously only if they're good enough mind you which is maybe the crux.

ed.up.north 27 January, 2020 17:13
I see the club is announcing a re-signing at 10am tomorrow. Does anyone have an up-to-date list of contract expiry dates etc?

Falc Dancer 27 January, 2020 18:06
Quote:
ed.up.north
I see the club is announcing a re-signing at 10am tomorrow. Does anyone have an up-to-date list of contract expiry dates etc?

Radders?

NorfolkFalcon 27 January, 2020 19:59
Based on the tag line (we think youíll like this one) itís surely Radwan? Only player Iíd be genuinely excited about, other than Graham but I expect him to leave in the summer.

Could you imagine this forum if it turns out to be Flood!?

Running Rugby 27 January, 2020 20:18
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Paul Hill the once much hyped you Tight head is being released by Saints. Now he would be worth a punt. If w could revitalise him...he was a cracking scrummaging tank.

Where did you hear that Paul Hill is being released?

Falc Dancer 27 January, 2020 20:38
Quote:
Running Rugby
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Where did you hear that Paul Hill is being released?

I had a look and couldnít find anything

GeordieFalcon 27 January, 2020 23:15
Some of my pals are saints fans and they said its looking highly likely. Not confirmed but expected shall we say.

AFalcon24 28 January, 2020 10:09
Paul Hill is a player I could see been released, he is either on the bench for Northampton Saints now or not in the team.

AFalcon24 29 January, 2020 11:25
We should go for Will Skelton from Sarries, even though I reckon there will be a few clubs in for him.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net