Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Kolpak players
Discussion started by rubyrhone , 17 February, 2020 16:53
Kolpak players
rubyrhone 17 February, 2020 16:53
Just reading TRP. I didn't realise that South Africans and Pacific Islanders will lose their right to work in the UK on Dec 31 this year. Unless Boris sort something out i the negotiations thats going to put a spanner in a lot of teams' works, including Falcons.

Re: Kolpak players
Falc Dancer 17 February, 2020 17:28
Yes I believe it to do with trade deals with the EU
No deal ends those arrangements so all hangs on a deal without wanting to get to far into the politics

markismith50 17 February, 2020 17:47
The Kolpak rule just means they donít count as one of the two Ďoverseasí players. Theyíll still need a visa to enter the country, just as they already do now. And the league could quite easily raise the number of permitted overseas players if they wished.

Some of the reporting on this is not especially accurate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2020 17:49 by markismith50.

Exiled Falcon 17 February, 2020 18:01
The overseas rule is a nonsense anyway....a club could presumably have 20 English players and 3 Ďoverseasí in a squad but that isnít allowed but you could presumably have 7 Welsh, 7 Scottish, 7 Irish and 2 English but that is allowed?

markismith50 17 February, 2020 18:03
Correct EF, although currently itís 2 on the field at any one time.

Exiled Falcon 17 February, 2020 18:07
Any reason for that Smithy, not really understanding why a squad can be filled with Celtic players as above but that is okay but three Ďoverseasí players isnít allowed?

markismith50 17 February, 2020 18:14
Theyíre part of the United Kingdom, and Ireland has a specific policy with the UK

Exiled Falcon 17 February, 2020 18:24
Fine, cheers Smithy. Not really getting my head round, if itís an RFU / PRL directive how any non English player is deemed more undesirable than another one. (Sorry, thatís not meant to be as xenophobic as it sounds!!)

markismith50 17 February, 2020 18:29
The English Qualified Player scheme is an RFU idea to reward teams financially for fielding a certain number of English-qualified players. Itís not compulsory, you just donít get the money if you donít meet the quota.

This is totally separate from the two overseas player rule, which must be obeyed.

Kolpaks currently donít count as Ďoverseasí, but they still need a visa to be able to work here.

rubyrhone 17 February, 2020 18:59
Thanks for the clarification Mark. I think I get the gist!

Exiled Falcon 17 February, 2020 21:53
So who sets the two overseas player rule? (Sorry, not meaning to sound dim)

markismith50 17 February, 2020 21:57
Either PRL or RFU presumably.

Exiled Falcon 17 February, 2020 22:10
Thanks, so I go back to my original point......if itís RFU / PRL, then it must be for the good of the English game I assume but I canít really see how an overseas foreign player is worse than a Celtic / Antipodean foreign player, numbers wise, if you get my gist.

markismith50 17 February, 2020 22:46
Iím not trying to justify or advocate Kolpak, I think itís a bizarre arrangement. Iím simply explaining how it works.

As for Celts, It would be illegal for them to limit by law the number of Celts, theyíre UK citizens. Or in the case of Ireland, have the same workersí rights.

Exiled Falcon 18 February, 2020 09:25
Thanks Smithy, appreciate your time and patience! It is rather bizarre, as you say, always thought it was ridiculous in cricket too.

Promise Iíll not raise it again!

markismith50 18 February, 2020 09:50
No problem.

It's all about national trading arrangements rather than sport - although ironically sport is what people generally most know it for.

It's not dissimilar to the EU situation, ie a Russian player counting as 'overseas' but a Spanish player not counting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net