Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

SEASON CANCELLED - DUE TO CORONAVIRUS

RESULT:Friday 13th March Newcastle Falcons 41 v 0 Bedford Blues League Championship

Toby Flood signs on
Discussion started by aidanb , 18 February, 2020 11:02
Toby Flood signs on
aidanb 18 February, 2020 11:02
Another 2 years.

The way he played on Sunday was brilliant.

Re: Toby Flood signs on
GeordieFalcon 18 February, 2020 11:07
Yeah just seen this.

I wonder if its as a player coach capacity and mentor to Connon and Haydon Wood.

He played very well at 12 on sunday by all accounts.

Falc Dancer 18 February, 2020 11:13
[www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk]

Experienced and proven. Plenty of know how to pass on to the younger lads
Looked good at 12, maybe thatís his future position sat on the shoulder of a younger 10

The Boyfriend 18 February, 2020 11:15
This is the first contract announcement that I've felt indifferent to, as I thought his time was on the wane and we have better, younger 10s. But he was solid on Sunday at 12 and as speculated above, we may not know what else he is bringing to the club.

But still...'meh'.

JustAnotherOnlooker 18 February, 2020 11:19
If there looking for someone to mentor the younger Fly-Halfs then fair enough.

If not then I'm worried for next season.

GeordieFalcon 18 February, 2020 11:21
Quote:
The Boyfriend
This is the first contract announcement that I've felt indifferent to, as I thought his time was on the wane and we have better, younger 10s. But he was solid on Sunday at 12 and as speculated above, we may not know what else he is bringing to the club.
But still...'meh'.

Ordinarily i would probably agree....however IF its been done in a Player Coaching capacity working with Connon, Haydon Wood, playing less games so they get more gametime and covering 12 then i think its a good move.

He may even have some influence on coaching and pushing more pacy attacking tactics...

Who is attack coach at the moment...is Walder responsible for it?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 18/02/2020 11:35 by GeordieFalcon.

Bedlington Lad 18 February, 2020 11:31
Playing at 12 and mentoring/coaching the young fly halves & centres is ok with me. He looked good at 12, very solid.

ed.up.north 18 February, 2020 12:28
A year ago I would have been concerned by this news but I think his form this season has been outstanding. A man who is fighting for our club every week, usually for the full 80. For someone who will be 36 by the time his contract ends, that is pretty remarkable. Good news all round I think.

Falconsfan93 18 February, 2020 12:41
Brilliant player in his prime, of that I have no doubt! But he is now way past his best and I donít believe in this whole ďcoach/playerĒ role my point being look at waldouck heís barelt played in the time heís been here and what has he actually brought to the club behind the scenes ?. I think people are forgetting we were by far the worst side last year in the prem and we are now by far the best in the champ proving how poor the opposition is in my opinion! Cementing my point that is why flood is looking good shall we say. He should either be let go or as an out and out coach ihell be on canny wages which could of been used on a younger player or another position

Barry555 18 February, 2020 13:12
Probs taken a big wage cut. And for what Falcons would be able to get for that wage in todayís market heís probably better then that.

Whole ďbehind the scenesĒ is exactly that..... behind the scenes!

I wouldnít expect his playing duties to be anywhere near as extensive as it as been recently.

telfs123 18 February, 2020 13:14
I think most of the board is going to have this opinion.

1) If itís to mentor our young 10s, be on the bench to come on if things are going to pot/see out a tight game, occasionally play 10/12, help with his general leadership/rugby knowledge then brilliant. Iíd much rather have him as our veteran 10 than a Phil Godman type (apologies for the PTSD I will have triggered in many on this board upon reading that name).

2) If itís to be our first choice starting 10 in the Premiership, then no.

I think most likely itís going to be number 1, in which case excellent, heís a great bloke and heís great to have around the club.

dick g 18 February, 2020 13:19
Telfs has got it spot on. Interesting to note that we had our three first choice 10s on the pitch at the same time in Sunday. Liked Noah in the centre. Game controlling is a definable skill.

Barry555 18 February, 2020 13:22
Telfs - number 1 SPOT ON

Rogerandout 18 February, 2020 15:05
Interesting. Very good game yesterday but has looked like an old Labrador whose legs have gone earlier in the season. If he is physically up to it great!
If he isnít then not so great. The staff must know how he is so on that basis it has to be good.

Wensleydale Falcon 18 February, 2020 16:25
Great to hear all the positive comments on Flood extending his contract with us.

He was excellent at 12 on Sunday and i am pretty sure that there is a little succession planning going on for when Toby looks to hang up his boots.

All news is good news coming out of KP at the moment!!

Exiled Falcon 18 February, 2020 16:59
It's too easy to discard players who are seen in the twilight of their careers despite them having a wealth of experience and knowledge to pass on. If he can nurture our up and coming players for a couple of years then great.

Monkey1 18 February, 2020 17:07
Toby won't want to move away, he & his family are nicely settled here, so if he has an offer to keep playing until it seems like a good idea not to, and to bring his experience to our squad, especially our younger backs & half-backs, everybody wins. You can see how much the club means to him when the team goes off the boil & starts to make stupid mistakes. He is the first to get himself about the pitch & have words, and when it goes really pear shaped as away at London Scottish, he goes ape. You need people like that in the club, people who really give a proverbial.

Rafpilot2000 18 February, 2020 18:29
Iím sure given his family etc he will be happy to Finnish off what has been a great career up north. Possibly not our no.1 10 but as you say must be great to have in the changing room and training ground. Iím really happy with this as we are actively keeping experience in critical areas whilst bringing through new talent. If the league is ring fenced next year or if Saracens win the championship and canít get promoted we have at least two seasons to get a firm foothold in the premiership

ed.up.north 18 February, 2020 19:49
Well said Monkey.

The Boyfriend 19 February, 2020 10:47
Maybe they've re-signed Toby so some of the Stack Cups are still valid?!

(Kidding!) (Sm128)

markismith50 19 February, 2020 10:53
I'm still using my Maxime Mermoz stack cup every lunchtime in the office!

GeordieFalcon 19 February, 2020 11:12
I dont think i have a FLood one...i have a MIllion Mark Wilson ones...and funnily enough Evan Olmsteads aswell...

The Boyfriend 19 February, 2020 15:38
I've got one of each, but would love some new ones...

*cough* Radwan *cough*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net