Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Tane Takalua
Discussion started by Oneforthefatboys , 18 February, 2020 22:32
Tane Takalua
Oneforthefatboys 18 February, 2020 22:32
People on Facebook stating heís gone to Toulon. What the heck!

Re: Tane Takalua
RiponFalcon 18 February, 2020 22:49
Quote:
Oneforthefatboys
People on Facebook stating heís gone to Toulon. What the heck!

There are also some Facebook rumours that Sarries have broken the salary cap and could be relegated

Sorry itís probably very easy to miss the Takulua discussion on the match thread yesterday

Falc Dancer 19 February, 2020 04:17
As per Ripon Falcon, this was discussed in the Pirates match thread but probably needs it own thread for clarity
Appears thatís Tane is currently in France according to his social media accounts

GeordieFalcon 19 February, 2020 09:48
Is it with immediate effect?

I honestly wish the lad well. He's become a genuine top player here with us...and will be a great signing for Toulon. Let him enjoy a decent salary and some sun.

Michael Young and Stuart will take us through the Championship fine. I just hope we see Kelemeti (if hes recovered from injury) and Pascoe getting some valuable run outs between now and the end of the season.

pityacker 19 February, 2020 10:12
Michael Young has been injured quite a bit so if Tane goes we will be left short in one of the most important positions , like a lot more I would hate to see Tane go but who could blame him for taking what will probably a large salary in warmer climes , he has been great for us.

Falc Dancer 19 February, 2020 10:17
I assume Sam Stuart is also injured currently as Joel was a makeshift 9 at the weekend

pityacker 19 February, 2020 10:23
I saw a S Stuart on a Blaydon teamsheet But donít know if was our S Stuart getting some game time or not.

GeordieFalcon 19 February, 2020 11:06
I see Ben Spencer is pretty much signed for Bath. So the rumours were simply that.

Falc Dancer 19 February, 2020 11:10
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
I see Ben Spencer is pretty much signed for Bath. So the rumours were simply that.

The Bath rumours are also just that. Although Fissler does believe Spencer will be at Bath based upon his rugby paper articles

AFalcon24 19 February, 2020 11:44
Looking at the Facebook posts sounds like he is already on there squad list at Toulon on there website. Big loss if he has gone.

AFalcon24 19 February, 2020 11:48
If Bath get Ben Spencer can we have Will Chudley the scrum half from Bath think he is quality.

aidanb 19 February, 2020 12:18
I've asked the club on Twitter

but no doubt he will be named in the Toulon team at the weekend and play before anyone at the club thinks the fans need an official statement

Wensleydale Falcon 19 February, 2020 12:22
Iím sure that the club will make a statement when the time is right like they always do.

RiponFalcon 19 February, 2020 12:29
Iím surprised the god of breaking rugby transfers has not picked up on this yet and claimed it as an exclusive. At least he would get one right for a change

There's 35 seconds to go 19 February, 2020 12:37
Quote:
AFalcon24
If Bath get Ben Spencer can we have Will Chudley the scrum half from Bath think he is quality.

We had him once. He barely played!

aidanb 19 February, 2020 12:41
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
Iím sure that the club will make a statement when the time is right like they always do.

the club do a load of things brilliantly but communicating player departures is not one of them

GeordieFalcon 19 February, 2020 12:46
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon

Will that be when hes named on the teamsheet of another club?

markismith50 19 February, 2020 12:47
Nothing would ever be announced for any player until all documentation is signed.

toastie1 19 February, 2020 13:30
Pityacker, yes that was Sam playing for Blaydon at the weekend.

toastie1 19 February, 2020 13:33
Perfectly happy with Sam as our No. 9 for the rest of the season.

Falc Dancer 19 February, 2020 13:49
Quote:
toastie1
Pityacker, yes that was Sam playing for Blaydon at the weekend.

Itís good to know that heís fit

Pgg 19 February, 2020 15:35
Being reported in France now (https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/transferts/2018-2019/transferts-sonatane-takulua-toulonnais-jusqu-en-2022_sto7672928/story.shtml) apparently going immediately for the rest of the season and then another 2 years.
Canít begrudge him taking the opportunity of a new experience in the south of France but I will miss him, heís been a top player for us and finished with a really good performance on Sunday if it is indeed his last game in a Falcons shirt.

stuart66 19 February, 2020 15:41
Sad to see him go. Great player for us and I think the man of the world cup.

pityacker 19 February, 2020 15:48
I would presume rightly or wrongly that Falcons should receive a transfer payment as Sonatane is contracted until the season after this one , still sad to see him go , that's quite a number of our better players gone or going since last season.

GeordieFalcon 19 February, 2020 15:51
Good luck to the lad. He'll do well over there.

But we move on.....

Young & Stuart will help us through the rest of the season.

But hopefully Dean will have his hand forced to play Kelemti, Pascoe or Elliot for a few minutes.

Unless Joel is played as an emergency.

Falcona 19 February, 2020 16:20
Quote:Tane passed his medical examination on Tuesday, and will be made official in the coming hours. Arriving from Newcastle, where he had been playing since 2015, the Samoan international (29 years old, 38 caps)

[www.rugbyrama.fr]

Wensleydale Falcon 19 February, 2020 16:24
As Smithy has said, you do not announce anything until all the documentation is signed.

I really do not get why supporters have an issue with this!!

Rogerandout 19 February, 2020 16:32
Shame, our best 9 and possibly our best player even if he was often on the bench.
Seems like something of a clear out of our more expensive established players. Matavesi, Takulua, Goneva, Harris, Hammersley, Memoz, Van de Merwe. Some missed more than others! The south sea island players have done a good job for us over the last couple of years, letís hope our home grown talent delivers so that they arenít missed too much.
I remain of the opinion that if we have money to spend I would spend it on a good set piece and leave our own young lads to do that running around business.
I have a smell of ring fencing with all the expensive outgoing players.

eebagum 19 February, 2020 16:46
....and gives us the opportunity to develop the Academy and youngsters without fear of relegation..
Just picture a back line of Hodge,Radwan,, Wacokecoke,Williams,Stevenson, Haydon-Wood, Kelemiti
in 18 months time ...and Passman - I saw him at Mowden before his injury and he is awesome!-hopefully fully fit for selection.Sorry if I ve missed out anyone!!

Barry555 19 February, 2020 16:50
Majority of the islanders weíve had have done wonders for us for a lot of years now. Dean always seems to be able to get the best out of them. If Tane is off to Toulon good luck to him. Iím just happy weíve been able to see him in a Falcons shirt in which heís performed amazingly.

Wensleydale Falcon 19 February, 2020 17:24
Absolutely Barry555. The guy has been immense!!

PedroFalcon 19 February, 2020 18:18
Quote:
Falcona
Quote:Tane passed his medical examination on Tuesday, and will be made official in the coming hours. Arriving from Newcastle, where he had been playing since 2015, the Samoan international (29 years old, 38 caps)
[www.rugbyrama.fr]

They could at least get his nationality right! He's Tongan!

NorfolkFalcon 19 February, 2020 18:23
Very sad about it but cannot t begrudge him this opportunity. He has been a great servant to the club.

I just hope that we make have good quality players lined up once promotion is secured that can take us to the next level and give us a good chance of staying up.

ed.up.north 19 February, 2020 19:37
The French reports make it look like this is indeed happening and with immediate effect. This feels like a real blow. Tane has been one of the strongest players in the squad. It seems remarkable that on a weekend when the club presumably will have already known he was moving on, our next-in-line scrum half was playing in National 1! Heís hardly going to get the right kind of game time over there (as good a club as Blaydon are). It makes our succession planning look confused and mismanaged. Itís incredibly sad that Tane is leaving us, and Iím confused how itís even possible given his contract status, but the real priority is what we do now. He leaves a big hole to fill.

Leipziger 19 February, 2020 20:26
Shame Tane's leaving but he's been a good player for us and can't begrudge him a few years in the sun earning a good wage.

Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
As Smithy has said, you do not announce anything until all the documentation is signed.

I remember about 20 years ago, Manchester United published a list of every player they'd been linked with in the press over a close-season, it was more than 50 players and they'd actually only signed three of them. Add players rumoured to be leaving who didn't, if a club commented publicly on every rumoured transfer it'd take up a lot of time for the comms team. Never mind that negotiations will be confidential.

I'm not hugely bothered about who the Falcons are talking to for next season, I'm more bothered about who we actually sign and even then we don't need to know right now as they won't be joining until the summer.

aidanb 19 February, 2020 20:48
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon

My point was very clearly not for the club to speculate

My point was that the club still wouldnít have told its fans (Some part of their income source) even when a departing player was announced as signed for a new club and then also announced in their next match day squad.

Marco19819 19 February, 2020 20:50
I hope this means nordli k or pascoe get some game time.

Real shame as I LOVE taka

markismith50 19 February, 2020 20:54
Did we not announce Josh Matavesi to Bath, Tom Penny to Quins and Kyle Cooper to Exeter in the last couple of months, or did I just imagine writing the press releases?

aidanb 19 February, 2020 20:58
Quote:
markismith50
Did we not announce Josh Matavesi to Bath, Tom Penny to Quins and Kyle Cooper to Exeter in the last couple of months, or did I just imagine writing the press releases?

Yet another slight mid read of what I said.

I at no point said the club wouldnít make an announcement.

the club would make that announcement very late in the process.

markismith50 19 February, 2020 21:06
In the case of all three players above we announced it at the exact same time as the buying club.

Would you class that as Ďlate in the processí?

Barry555 19 February, 2020 21:12
Thereís a re-signing tomorrow morning.

My money is Tane has penned a new 3 year deal and is celebrating by having a week off in France.

Wensleydale Falcon 19 February, 2020 21:15
Yes you did Smithy and as has been said a million and one times (most of us) are extremely grateful for how you continually communicate with us as and when you can through all aspects of social media sources (even on your days off)

As for the ďSome part of their income sourceĒ comment this doesnít give us the divine right to continuously demand more information on what is and isnít happening within the club and how it is run.

Wensleydale Falcon 19 February, 2020 21:16
Love it Barry555....!

aidanb 19 February, 2020 21:36
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
Yes you did Smithy and as has been said a million and one times (most of us) are extremely grateful for how you continually communicate with us as and when you can through all aspects of social media sources (even on your days off)
As for the ďSome part of their income sourceĒ comment this doesnít give us the divine right to continuously demand more information on what is and isnít happening within the club and how it is run.

Oh and another one interpreting different meanings into words.

markismith50 19 February, 2020 21:41
Aidan, would you class our announcements on Matavesi, Cooper and Penny as being Ďlate in the processí, given they went out at exactly the same time as the buying club?

aidanb 19 February, 2020 22:10
Oh letís not get into the whole back catalogue of this.

Cos Iím sure there will be many a time when the club has nailed it and there will be some small amount of times where the other club has said something first.

markismith50 19 February, 2020 22:20
Exactly, Aidan. We always try to synchronise announcements where we can. With UK clubs itís generally not a problem, although with overseas teams it can sometimes be challenging.

My point was simply taking issue with your claim that we announce player departures to other clubs Ďlate in the processí.

As Iíve just demonstrated, our departures during this season have all been announced at the exact same time as the buying club. So, not Ďlate in the processí in the slightest.

eebagum 19 February, 2020 22:36
Aah Aidanb, the art of communication....so thatís at least 3 not fully understanding your post....so letís draw a line....pleased that Bazza could see a humorous side.....letís take it that Tane is leaving , thanks for your shift with Falcons Tane and very best of luck to you and your family in your future.
Now we ve got a game on Saturday so letís get to Kingston Park and give our Falcons , whatever team
our very best support.

GeordieFalcon 19 February, 2020 23:24
To be fair to Aidan...often there is silence in many cases around players comings, goings (was Davy Wilsons departure announced ?) and new contracts. I often put it down to Dean being very silent on things...but im sure Mark said that sometimes its the players wanting silence.

Anyway...sounds like this has been done quite quick...maybe Deans hands were tied.

I might criticise him in certain areas but generally he picks up some good players in the bargain basement...like Takulua.

But lets work on Pascoe, Elliott, kelemeti first.

markismith50 19 February, 2020 23:30
In cases where one of our contracted players leaves for another club during the term of his Falcons contract, weíll always announce it.

What we wonít do is announce it before all the paperwork is complete, and nor should we.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net