Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Cup Semi Final -17 April 8 pm - @ Kingston Park
Discussion started by Falcona , 22 February, 2020 16:55
Cup Semi Final -17 April 8 pm - @ Kingston Park
Falcona 22 February, 2020 16:55
Newcastle Falcons have announced that their Championship Cup semi-final will be held on Friday April 17 at Kingston Park Stadium with an 8pm kick-off, pending change for TV.

he opponent will be announced by tournament organisers the RFU on Monday at 12 noon, with the final held on the weekend of May 15/16/17 (venue TBC).

Season ticket members are advised that this game is not included in their 2019-20 package.

Season ticket members will however be entitled to discounted prices for the semi-final, with tickets in all available areas priced £10 for adults and concessions, and £5 for juniors.

These discounted prices apply until close of business on Thursday April 16, with season ticket members able to reserve their current seats up until Friday April 10.

Season ticket members can book an unlimited number of tickets for friends and family at the discounted rate by calling 0871 226 6060 or visiting the Kingston Park ticket office in person.

Non-season ticket members can book tickets at £15 for adults and concessions, and £8 for juniors by clicking here, calling 0871 226 6060 or visiting the ticket office.

Supporters are advised that the North Stand will be closed for the semi-final, but that all other stands will be open.

Seasonal parking pass holders are advised that this game will not be covered by their pass.

Re: Cup Semi Final -17 April 8 pm - @ Kingston Park
JustAnotherOnlooker 22 February, 2020 22:52
Nice one! Another game i'll be able to get to.

Robs 22 February, 2020 23:15
Do we know who we might be up against?

markismith50 22 February, 2020 23:21
Weíll know on Monday at 12 noon

alas 23 February, 2020 00:12
Aren't the Falcons bound to play the winner of Pirates vs Coventry?

markismith50 23 February, 2020 00:16
Thatís the working assumption, but the wording of the tournament regs says the RFU can amend the draw. Itíll be finalised on Monday at noon.

There's 35 seconds to go 24 February, 2020 12:06
It's Pirates...

[t.co]

cornishbob 24 February, 2020 17:11
Pirates fan in peace, unless the K.O day and time is to accommodate TV why the Friday evening? Visiting fans simply can't make it on a working day that distance from home. Surely the Saturday at 3pm is the best time all round?

markismith50 24 February, 2020 17:31
Hi Bob, we tried Saturday 3pm for our quarter-final and it was by far our lowest gate of the season.

If Pirates were bringing up a huge number then perhaps itíd be a consideration, but given the relatively low away attendances itís not enough of a factor to impact our thinking.

cornishbob 24 February, 2020 17:45
markismith, Thank you for the reply, I doubt there would be a huge contingent in any case from down here so I see your reasoning, however there will be a good number of Pirates fans who will be disappointed. Have a great rest of the season, except of course the semi-final (Sm109)(Sm109)

markismith50 24 February, 2020 17:47
Thanks Bob.

FalcDancer 24 February, 2020 19:49
Quote:
markismith50
Hi Bob, we tried Saturday 3pm for our quarter-final and it was by far our lowest gate of the season.
If Pirates were bringing up a huge number then perhaps itíd be a consideration, but given the relatively low away attendances itís not enough of a factor to impact our thinking.

Hi Smithy

I hope Saturday fixtures continue to get a chance and that a decision to not use Saturdays has been made based upon a Cup game that wasnít part of the season ticket package in some of the worst weather the region has had in the last 12 months
Had the game been a league fixture or even a cup game on a dry and warm day the gate would have been a lot higher

markismith50 24 February, 2020 20:08
Hi FD, happy to clarify, weíre not saying no to Saturday games. Weíll continue to have a mix over the course of a season.

FalcDancer 24 February, 2020 20:23
Quote:
markismith50
Hi FD, happy to clarify, weíre not saying no to Saturday games. Weíll continue to have a mix over the course of a season.

Thanks Smithy
I do like a mixture of fixtures across a weekend
Thereís always time and a place for a Saturday game

aidanb 24 February, 2020 20:23
Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
markismith50

Hi Smithy

I hope Saturday fixtures continue to get a chance and that a decision to not use Saturdays has been made based upon a Cup game that wasnít part of the season ticket package in some of the worst weather the region has had in the last 12 months
Had the game been a league fixture or even a cup game on a dry and warm day the gate would have been a lot higher

The previous weekend was very very cold and windy yet we got 6300 there for the league game on the Sunday.

I know thatís different to the cup and cup games often have lower gates but it certainly does indicate that the general train of thought is that saturdays are when a lot of people go to their junior clubs

FalcDancer 24 February, 2020 20:56
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
markismith50

Hi Smithy

The previous weekend was very very cold and windy yet we got 6300 there for the league game on the Sunday.

I know thatís different to the cup and cup games often have lower gates but it certainly does indicate that the general train of thought is that saturdays are when a lot of people go to their junior clubs

Sundayís are popular, I like Sunday games
The previous weekend was a league fixture against one of the top teams in the league.
If that game was on a Saturday I have no doubt that the attendance would have been more than London Scottish in the cup. Season tickets would obviously count but ticket sales would also be higher for that type of fixture

Monkey1 25 February, 2020 07:28
Saturdays are a pain for me. I have too many things to do on Saturdays, and I know that even if you push the KO time back as late as you can, there are people who struggle to fit in their local club rugby & also a game at KP.

limpopo 25 February, 2020 10:16
Friday night games have always been a bone of contention with me, simply too inconvenient, Saturdays I can manage, but Sunday games have always been my preference and I think always will be.

markismith50 25 February, 2020 10:39
This season's fan survey actually saw Friday nights being the most popular time slot, which may be a surprise to some.

I guess the point is that whichever day or time we choose, it will work for some and not for others, so the sensible policy seems to be to have a balance.

limpopo 25 February, 2020 11:26
Yes agree Smithy, balance has to be fair to all. and I will not attend times tat are not convenient. Incidentally, when did the survey take place as I have no recollection of this, was it just a supporters club survey or online?

markismith50 25 February, 2020 11:29
Hi Limpopo, I wasn't personally involved in the survey but a few of the results were mentioned to me. I think it was via our CRM system, but I'm sure somebody can correct me.

joefrog 25 February, 2020 11:32
Iíd be peed off if I was a Pirates fan having to travel for a Friday night fixture. The Falcons have excellent away support, can you imagine the complaints if it was a Pirates away fixture on a Friday evening. Calls into question home advantage as opposed to neutral venues. More consideration required

limpopo 25 February, 2020 11:41
Quote:
markismith50
Hi Limpopo, I wasn't personally involved in the survey but a few of the results were mentioned to me. I think it was via our CRM system, but I'm sure somebody can correct me.

Thanks for that Smithy, I am registered, but must have missed that.

markismith50 25 February, 2020 11:42
Hi Joe,

If the numbers of Pirates fans were going to be enough to make a significant difference to the crowd size then we would of course consider it, but historically away ticket sales have been very low. Certainly not enough to justify moving a fixture.

We've had Friday night away games of our own, so it's not as if other clubs are committed to avoiding them for the Falcons' away supporters.

joefrog 25 February, 2020 11:59
Mark, my point is that its a Cup semi final and may just be considered a slight abuse of home advantage. I know that some Falcons away fixtures have been on a Friday night however Pirates is the furthest to travel in the UK. Even further than Jersey

steve1888 25 February, 2020 12:16
Fridays is always my preference, Satrudays least preferred and sundays fine unless early ko (although not too bad when kids festival is on ha) but
Impossible to please everyone.

Fridays seem commercially best for the club with sundays good for the excellent community festivals especially but on the flip side can make it a push for those with junior sport commitements.

Home advantage being abused, not sure ive heard that before, its earned so surely the club should get everything they want from it. Rugby away support is dire so doubt any club would take into consideration.

markismith50 25 February, 2020 12:18
Hi Joe,

I don't accept that it is any 'abuse' whatsoever. As top seed we have earned the right to play the fixture on whichever day we choose that weekend, and we have chosen the Friday.

And, as stated, we're talking about a relatively small number of away supporters. If it was going to have a major boost to the attendance then perhaps it would be considered, but there's no suggestion I can see to say that it would.

aidanb 25 February, 2020 22:27
Quote:
joefrog
Iíd be peed off if I was a Pirates fan having to travel for a Friday night fixture. The Falcons have excellent away support, can you imagine the complaints if it was a Pirates away fixture on a Friday evening. Calls into question home advantage as opposed to neutral venues. More consideration required

Donít worry Joe.
Hopefully your guys will do that live Facebook feed so you can all watch it. Iíve watched a couple of your games that way and think itís excellent

markismith50 25 February, 2020 22:37
Hi Aidan, their facebook feed is only for Pirates home games.

joefrog 25 February, 2020 22:56
Aiden, Iím a Falcons fan!!

matt1il 25 February, 2020 23:11
Quote:
markismith50
We've had Friday night away games of our own, so it's not as if other clubs are committed to avoiding them for the Falcons' away supporters.

Always my pet peeve, even been geographically in the middle of lots of the Prem clubs where I live I struggle to get to/from matches if they're Fri without driving. And same with Nott this year (although I was thankful for that having listened to it!).

aidanb 25 February, 2020 23:39
Quote:
joefrog
Aiden, Iím a Falcons fan!!

Oops
Sorry

That first sentence tells all

Sorry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net