Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

6 Nations Toon Decider ? (Italy - Coronavirus)
Discussion started by zackary71 , 25 February, 2020 09:01
6 Nations Toon Decider ? (Italy - Coronavirus)
zackary71 25 February, 2020 09:01
There's a few media reports this morning linking Newcastle as a possible fall-back option for the Italy vs England match, due to the escalating Coronavirus situation in Italy. Twickenham has also been mooted too. The match is scheduled for Saturday March 14th, but with Newcastle United playing at home that day, and Falcons at home on the Friday eve, Sunday 15th would possibly be the only available slot. Even then, can't see it being turned round in time. Would be great for the City though, even if it gets moved back to the Autumn.

Re: 6 Nations Toon Decider ? (Italy - Coronavirus)
RiponFalcon 25 February, 2020 09:05
I hope not
I have flights hotel and tickets for the game in Rome. Been looking forward to this trip for a long time and staring to get very concerned that the game may be cancelled

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2020 10:29 by RiponFalcon.

Andy Mac 25 February, 2020 22:33
Fingers crossed you make it RF. A six nations weekend in Rome is an absolute joy. Hope you get to sample it!

matt1il 25 February, 2020 22:58
Newcastle also have a home game the following Sat against Villa (unless we get to the FA Cup 6th Round!) so can't see them wanting that turnaround.

Mind you I guess it depends on how much money they'll give a certain person...

Falcona 25 February, 2020 23:04
Looks like Italy v Ireland might be in doubt

Quote:
Six Nations is aware of today's recommendation from the Irish Health Minister in relation to the upcoming Six Nations Championship match between Ireland and Italy on Saturday March 7th.†
The IRFU has sought an urgent meeting with the Irish Government to discuss the matter further and we will remain in close contact with them regarding the outcome of those discussions.†

RiponFalcon 26 February, 2020 06:17
Iíve been to Rome for the last 2 Italy-England games and the atmosphere around Rome is fantastic. There must be around 30,000 English fans in town The biggest problem is that most will probably still travel even if the game is off. Flights are paid for and unless the foreign office says donít fly you will not get your money back
The same problem will apply to the Italy game in Ireland. Cancelling the game will not stop a large number of Italians from traveling to Dublin
I think to be honest the genie may already be out of the bottle on this one and it may already be too late to stop this thing going global

zackary71 26 February, 2020 07:20
Hope it's all ok for you. We went to the 2012 match when it snowed in Rome for the first time in 26 years ! The match looked in doubt, but thankfully went ahead...unlike the Ireland match that weekend. Unfortunately, the Colosseum, which we'd pre-booked, was shut though. That was one unexpectedly chilly weekend.
Quote:
RiponFalcon
I hope not
I have flights hotel and tickets for the game in Rome. Been looking forward to this trip for a long time and staring to get very concerned that the game may be cancelled

Leipziger 26 February, 2020 09:27
Quote:
RiponFalcon
Iíve been to Rome for the last 2 Italy-England games and the atmosphere around Rome is fantastic. There must be around 30,000 English fans in town The biggest problem is that most will probably still travel even if the game is off. Flights are paid for and unless the foreign office says donít fly you will not get your money back
The same problem will apply to the Italy game in Ireland. Cancelling the game will not stop a large number of Italians from traveling to Dublin
I think to be honest the genie may already be out of the bottle on this one and it may already be too late to stop this thing going global

Reminds me of when England's game in Dublin was postponed because of foot and mouth many years ago, some newspaper article said that the only Englishmen who'd be cancelling their trip would be the team.

Hope you get to go Riponfalcon and see a good game!

matt1il 04 March, 2020 20:47
Looks to be confirmed as being behind closed doors in Rome. So just 20,000 England fans watching in bars in Rome instead

tomthepom 04 March, 2020 21:01
Quote:
matt1il
Looks to be confirmed as being behind closed doors in Rome. So just 20,000 England fans watching in bars in Rome instead

That's not confirmed Matt. 6N cttee having emergency mtg tomorrow. I wouldn't go if I was one of the 20,000 - would you?

Leipziger 05 March, 2020 07:28
Quote:
matt1il

Ironically I was reading that the virus is more likely to spread in a pub than a big outdoor sporting event, which makes sense.

Robs 05 March, 2020 09:22
I guess that anyone who's spent £500+ on flights & accommodation is unable to claim on their insurance if a game is Inaccessible so it's not really surprising that many might decide to proceed with the "holiday"
The only hope is that they realise the seriousness of the situation

FalcDancer 05 March, 2020 09:59
The game is now confirmed as postponed

matt1il 05 March, 2020 10:15
Quote:
tomthepom
Quote:
matt1il

That's not confirmed Matt. 6N cttee having emergency mtg tomorrow. I wouldn't go if I was one of the 20,000 - would you?

Unless the UK government ban travel to a region then Insurance wouldn't pay out so I'd imagine quite a lot will still go, very pleased I didn't pick this year to go to Italy, I am looking at '22 though.

And it was all but confirmed as the Italian government ordered all sport until 3rd April to be played behind closed doors, but now looks to be postponed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net