Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

SEASON CANCELLED - DUE TO CORONAVIRUS

RESULT:Friday 13th March Newcastle Falcons 41 v 0 Bedford Blues League Championship

Mark Wilson
Discussion started by ed.up.north , 25 February, 2020 14:32
Mark Wilson
ed.up.north 25 February, 2020 14:32
Great to see that Mark has been recalled to the England squad off the back of a very strong performance for Sale at the weekend (I believe the first game he has started for them). Brilliant recognition for Mark that even after a long injury lay-off, he is still seen as Test-match standard.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Re: Mark Wilson
limpopo 26 February, 2020 11:30
Read that this morning with a great deal of pleasure, I just hope that Eddie puts him straight in at number 8 and give some stability and purpose to that important position, not to Curry an otherwise great flanker.

FalcDancer 26 February, 2020 11:51
Great to see Mark back in there
Just a case of proving his fitness before being called up
Mark in at 6 I guess, canít see Eddie back tracking from Curry at 8 with all the questions heís faced over it

ed.up.north 26 February, 2020 12:39
Yeah Iím with FalcDancer on this. EJ is incredibly stubborn and I cannot see him backing away from Curry. However he clearly is not settled at 6 given that heís switched back and forth between Lawes and Ludlam. He clearly likes and rates Wilson so letís see how he slots in.

steve1888 26 February, 2020 12:45
If Wilson had been fit he would have started at 8 and thats his get out. Wilson, Curry and Underhill would be ideal against the Welsh.

telfs123 26 February, 2020 13:06
I think it will be Wilson at 8, Jones can save face as heís played Wilson at 8 before. Curry-Underhill-Wilson is an awesome back row.

limpopo 26 February, 2020 13:08
Agree with that Steve, hope that he does not persist with Curry at 8, but we know that Eddie never believes that he is capable of making an error of judgement.

Siders 26 February, 2020 13:11
I'd be surprised if he wasnt on the bench. I'd be very surprised (and pleased) if he started, but i feel its more likely EJ will look to the future (and as others have said, remain stubborn).

Exiled Falcon 26 February, 2020 14:54
Curry - Underhill - Wilson is a terrific back row but as much as we love Mark he's not a regular number 8 so it's still a kick in the teeth for Dombrandt, Mercer and Simmonds. Having said that, if we beat Wales and somehow sneak the Championship what do we know?!

alas 26 February, 2020 20:22
Mark Wilson's original position was number 8 and he's played plenty of times there unlike Curry.

Exiled Falcon 26 February, 2020 20:36
Indeed, but neither are current no 8s and we have proper no 8s tearing it up in the Premiership. As we know Eddie isnít going to move on this one.

GeordieFalcon 26 February, 2020 23:01
Mercer completely outplayed Dombrandt the other day when Quins played Bath.

I think he'll be the starting number 8 in the japan tour this summer when Eddie rests most of the world cup squad..

Exiled Falcon 27 February, 2020 06:23
The fact heís not built like a tank unlike Billy V etc may count against him. I hope not as I really like the way he plays. Unfortunately for Dombrandt he has fans and media alike clamouring for him to get included but as we know Eddie gets a little contrary in these situations.

To be fair against Ireland the lack of an Ďofficial Ď number 8 didnít do us any harm.

Bedlington Lad 27 February, 2020 08:47
I think Mercer is a top player, I'd very happily see him at the Falcons, even with all the back row players we already have.

GeordieFalcon 27 February, 2020 15:03
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
The fact heís not built like a tank unlike Billy V etc may count against him. I hope not as I really like the way he plays. Unfortunately for Dombrandt he has fans and media alike clamouring for him to get included but as we know Eddie gets a little contrary in these situations.
To be fair against Ireland the lack of an Ďofficial Ď number 8 didnít do us any harm.

Neither is Curry, but Jones has said he likes that type of 8...Rodney So'ailo i think was his example.

Now personally i want Curry at 6 or 7 with Underhill, NOT at 8, but Mercer is a very good athletic 8...different to our last recent history of tanks like Billy, Ben Morgan, Nathan Hughes, Waldrom...

Earl would be better at 8 than Curry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2020 15:04 by GeordieFalcon.

Exiled Falcon 27 February, 2020 15:30
In these days of the obsession with the huge ball carrier Mercer is a bit of fresh air, sadly that obsession may count against him. Just hope Eddie doesn't spoil Curry if you know what I mean, he's more or less world class in his correct position so not really getting the changing his position.

As I say, if we win something then Eddie is justified and maybe it's true, we get too hung up with the number on the shirt.

GeordieFalcon 27 February, 2020 16:24
I think its an Aussie thing not to worry about the number on the shirt...most of their great teams had players just standing in any position...because they were all multiskilled.

Rogerandout 27 February, 2020 20:18
I am a bigger fan of Wilson and Underhill than Curry. I do think Curry is good but the media / former players seem to have a poster boy approach for him that I donít quite get.
I also think that Simmonds down at Exeter is another magnificent explosive back row player. Jones doesnít seem to rate him. Still Eddie is a highly paid international manager and I am just a bloke.

Exiled Falcon 27 February, 2020 20:46
Not sure if it's Simmonds just fits perfectly into Ex's power game where they dominate most teams, England won't necessarily have that upper hand so he's maybe more negated. I agree however, terrific player. Tbf Eddie's not short of back row options.

Barry555 27 February, 2020 22:24
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
I think its an Aussie thing not to worry about the number on the shirt...most of their great teams had players just standing in any position...because they were all multiskilled.

100% GF! Think eddie goes down the route of breaking the moulds.

Think back in the day with the likes of Wilko , Tait , Noon , Flood May etc Falcons just used to make sure that they had their best back line out and they all used to interchange positions all the time.

And to be fair I donít think Curry has been totally bad at 8 , but Iíd rather have him on the flank but apart from scrum time does it really matter nowadays? Probably not.

Thought Joseph was actually good on the wing too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net