Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Captain Mark Wilson - has been named in England's training squad as they prepare for the upcoming autumn tests.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Yeah!!! NUFC - Hope this happens
Discussion started by Falcona , 14 April, 2020 17:47
OT: Yeah!!! NUFC - Hope this happens
Falcona 14 April, 2020 17:47
A Newcastle United takeover is very close after new documents show that owner Mike Ashley has entered into a charge agreement with potential buyer Amanda Staveley.

Financier Staveley is leading a bid which involves Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund and the Reuben Brothers.

It is understood to be worth £300m.

The documents include details of a £150m loan between Ashley's St James Holdings company and Staveley's PCP Capital Partners.

But it is understood that money relates to PCP's long-running legal case against Barclays Bank PLC.

The 31-page charge agreement lodged at Companies House lays the legal groundwork for a potential deal to be completed.

The Premier League have also been informed of the potential deal and are understood to have begun the process of carrying out checks under its owners and directors test.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: OT: Yeah!!! NUFC - Hope this happens
alas 14 April, 2020 20:49
I'm no fan of Ashley, but the Saudis have done far worse.

Leipziger 15 April, 2020 08:46
I expect that unless the Saudis want to turn Newcastle into the next Man City or Chelsea (in which case it's a nationally-strategic purchase and/or sportswashing), they are in it to make a profit, in which case they'll put less in and take more out than Ashley has.

GeordieFalcon 15 April, 2020 09:40
Well, if they dont mind, they can pop a few mill down the road to Mr Kurdi...winking smiley

FalcDancer 15 April, 2020 10:44
Quote:
Leipziger
I expect that unless the Saudis want to turn Newcastle into the next Man City or Chelsea (in which case it's a nationally-strategic purchase and/or sportswashing), they are in it to make a profit, in which case they'll put less in and take more out than Ashley has.

In order to compete with Man City and Chelsea it will take a lot of investment, I mean hundreds of millions. Thatís far more than Ashley would even dream if investing
To make a profit in football you need to be in the Champions League every year, tele rights, sponsorships will then max out

Any buy out wishing to make a profit will need to take the club further than it currently is to get anywhere

steve1888 15 April, 2020 11:01
The irony of Saudis working with a woman to buy a sports club ....

JustAnotherOnlooker 15 April, 2020 12:10
So they're lending the money off Ashley in order to complete the transaction?

Doesn't sound like the actions of people with money to me.

SimonG19 15 April, 2020 12:28
Football is littered with clubs who were desperate to get rid of their owners only to find the replacements to be even worse.

(Although being worse than Ashley would be going some).

GeordieFalcon 15 April, 2020 12:44
Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker
So they're lending the money off Ashley in order to complete the transaction?
Doesn't sound like the actions of people with money to me.

I keep hearing its something to do with the "interest free loan" that Ashley lent to Utd.

Surely that was paid off years ago with all the free advertising hes been getting.

A tramp abroad 15 April, 2020 14:12
It is not unusual in company acquisitions for the seller to give a loan, it is called vendor financing. Mike Ashley has been quoted as willing to accept stage payments, this is a method of implementing that.

It is not an indication that the purchasers are short of funds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2020 14:20 by A tramp abroad.

matt1il 15 April, 2020 16:13
Trying not to get excited, normally I'd not believe this copy+paste story from every 6 months.

But God I'd like to go back to SJP after this lockdown is over after not being there for years!

Ashley has tried to maximise his profit by aiming for 17th every year and paying out the absolute minimum. Hilariously missing it twice and losing his bet. Relegation hits him in the pocket more than any fan so I wasn't too disappointed by it last time.

Exiled Falcon 15 April, 2020 18:28
For every sexy owner of Man City thereís an owner like the Venkys at Blackburn. Iím no fan of Ashley, quite an unlikeable individual but zero hour contracts for your staff pale into insignificance v human rights abuses. Not sure if Ms Stavely is hugely trustworthy either. (Allegedly)

Itís really sad that since Shepherd ludicrously sacked SBR those years ago weíve never recovered as a club and for years weíve clung to every takeover talk with eager anticipation.

Pity Ant and Dec didnít have a spare hundred million or so and they could join together with Gaz from Geordie Shore, at least theyíre genuine supporters.

Leipziger 15 April, 2020 19:34
Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
Leipziger

In order to compete with Man City and Chelsea it will take a lot of investment, I mean hundreds of millions. Thatís far more than Ashley would even dream if investing
To make a profit in football you need to be in the Champions League every year, tele rights, sponsorships will then max out

Any buy out wishing to make a profit will need to take the club further than it currently is to get anywhere

You might be right Dancer, that decent investment in the squad will be required whatever the goal is. It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens, and SJP will definitely look nicer if all that Sports Direct graffiti disappears!

P.S. Hope yous are all staying safe during this crazy time :-)

FalcDancer 16 April, 2020 08:00
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
Leipziger

You might be right Dancer, that decent investment in the squad will be required whatever the goal is. It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens, and SJP will definitely look nicer if all that Sports Direct graffiti disappears!

All well at this end Leipy. I hope the Leipyís are keeping well and that youíre taking advantage of gods country for daily walks (within Gov guidelines of course)

If, and I am still trying to stop myself getting too excited, if Ashley leaves, we donít know what the exact details of any take over are. However I live in the hope that anyone wishing to buy a club and make a profit realise that in order to make money in football you need to be at the top and that takes investment

The stadium and training/academy facilities are unchanged in 13 years. For a project to work the investment needs to start in the core foundations of the club and work up

It needs to be more than splashing the cash in big wages otherwise itís doomed to fail

Leipziger 16 April, 2020 10:49
Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
Leipziger

All well at this end Leipy. I hope the Leipyís are keeping well and that youíre taking advantage of gods country for daily walks (within Gov guidelines of course)

If, and I am still trying to stop myself getting too excited, if Ashley leaves, we donít know what the exact details of any take over are. However I live in the hope that anyone wishing to buy a club and make a profit realise that in order to make money in football you need to be at the top and that takes investment

The stadium and training/academy facilities are unchanged in 13 years. For a project to work the investment needs to start in the core foundations of the club and work up

It needs to be more than splashing the cash in big wages otherwise itís doomed to fail

Aye man, been running a lot recently with the good weather and not working much. Mrs and Baby L have been walking a lot in the woods too so little one is learning a lot about nature! Looking forward to getting back to KP at some point later this year though, and meeting Baby Dancer no. 2.

I definitely hope, this deal will be more like Man City where there is a big bounce but it is underpinned investment in the club's foundations to make the whole thing sustainable, rather than just throwing money at it and revolving-door-managers like Chelsea. I think if Man City and Chelsea's owners pulled out tomorrow, City would be in a much better position.

The ethics of the whole thing is what it is unfortunately, the Saudis won't care about any protests or criticism in the media.

dick g 16 April, 2020 10:54
Much as I will nit be hnhappy at the departure of Ashley, the thought of United passing into the ownership of the Saudi regime does not bring a smile to my face.
Still, I suspect that all financial funds if such astounding size are tainted in some way.

A tramp abroad 16 April, 2020 14:25
Quote:
dick g
the thought of United passing into the ownership of the Saudi regime does not bring a smile to my face.

Let's not be more royal than the king.

Falcona 16 April, 2020 17:10
It may not be Arabs???

It's been another busy day at Companies House regarding some of the key players in the Newcastle United takeover.

Yesterday saw Amanda Staveley's PCP upload documents showing a direct link to St James Holdings, while she was also made a director of a firm tied to the representatives of the Reuben Brothers.
[www.chroniclelive.co.uk]

matt1il 16 April, 2020 21:05
Quote:
Falcona
It may not be Arabs???

It's been another busy day at Companies House regarding some of the key players in the Newcastle United takeover.

Yesterday saw Amanda Staveley's PCP upload documents showing a direct link to St James Holdings, while she was also made a director of a firm tied to the representatives of the Reuben Brothers.
[www.chroniclelive.co.uk]

The Saudi royal family are 75/80% (depending where you read it) holders of the company linked to buying the club.

lizard118 17 April, 2020 13:52
I will be happy with a sensible and gradual process like Leicester's where the club is getting better year on year.
I started following NUFC in the early 90s and bought a new shirt every season until Ashley came on the scene.

As far as I'm concerned any owner would be an improvement on Ashley. Maybe he's prudent I don't know, but from what I've seen he's taken more money out of the club than he's put in, buying players like Cabaye etc and selling them at huge profits and not really putting the money back into the team. Maybe a good business sense but this is football. He has presided over two relegations, something I never thought possible. The second relegation didn't bother me which says how disconnected I had become.
I continued following the club from far but Ashley made me fall out love with football generally. It's been painful seeing how the club has been run into the ground,when you think this is a club that was regularly challenging for the top 4 not that long ago. It seems like such a long time now.
When you see the likes of Leicester, Wolves, Everton, Tottenham etc going places it makes you wonder where Newcastle can get to with the potential this club has.

Newcastle like Leeds in my opinion are true sleeping giants when you think these are single clubs in a big city, unlike the likes of Everton, who are the poor cousins in the city of Liverpool.
Having come short in the late 90s and early 2000s I just feel that there's unfinished business as far as winning something meaningful and I'm hoping this can be a catalyst to win something. The long suffering fans deserve a good break.

Northumbrian 17 April, 2020 18:08
Ethics, we ask? I think there are worst ethics with Qatar hosting the next World Cup!

Kingston Parker 17 April, 2020 21:35
This is a rugby blog so we should be more rational than football ones.

Ashley may not be on everyone's Xmas card list, but let's remember what he followed. By the end of the Hall and Shepherd regime NUFC were almost bankrupt, having had to sell Ferdinand to pay for Shearer, whilst both families took dividends and £m salaries out of a club whose revenue was much less than it is today

Ashley bought it on a whim, after paying the plc shareholders £130m for their shares, and then funded it with £100+m of his own cash once he realised what a mess it was in. His view was, and still is, that it should be self sufficient to have a long-term future. What business can survive in the long term if it isn't? (if in doubt, think of Sunderland)

What he absolutely hasn't done is take more money out than he's put in. Plenty have, such as the Glazers at ManU. He's advanced cash into the club when we got relegated and then had it repaid when we returned and stayed (not just returned) to the PL. How anyone can say that the Club has been "run to the ground" is beyond me. No club has a God given right to be successful (OK, Tigers fans might disagree) but Newcastle have been in the PL for all but 2 of its 28 years. To put it in perspective, 15 months before the PL started, NUFC were almost relegated to what is now League 1 after only having had 5 consecutive seasons in the top flite since 1978.

What both clubs and supporters have in common is a desire for a long-term, sustainable community-enhancing club which will support local players into the highest league and provide entertainment to the supporters who turn up every second weekend. Any club that gambles on short term success without that base will fail in the long-term (historically the likes of London Welsh, Blackburn, Leeds). Plenty of the so-called "successful" clubs of today are also built on foundations of sand and are wholly dependent on the capacity of their owners either to fund unsustainable losses legitimately or to take a different route (Everton, Spurs or Saracens)

Just to end, I have been to every NUFC home game that I have been in the North East since 1982 and am a season ticket holder at both clubs

matt1il 18 April, 2020 08:46
Quote:
Kingston Parker
Ashley bought it on a whim, after paying the plc shareholders £130m for their shares, and then funded it with £100+m of his own cash once he realised what a mess it was in. His view was, and still is, that it should be self sufficient to have a long-term future. What business can survive in the long term if it isn't? (if in doubt, think of Sunderland)
What he absolutely hasn't done is take more money out than he's put in. Plenty have, such as the Glazers at ManU. He's advanced cash into the club when we got relegated and then had it repaid when we returned and stayed (not just returned) to the PL. How anyone can say that the Club has been "run to the ground" is beyond me. No club has a God given right to be successful (OK, Tigers fans might disagree) but Newcastle have been in the PL for all but 2 of its 28 years. To put it in perspective, 15 months before the PL started, NUFC were almost relegated to what is now League 1 after only having had 5 consecutive seasons in the top flite since 1978.

Above says he's got good business sense but also that he can pay ~£130m on something without realising there is a ~£140m hole in the finances. Which btw included things like paying future payments for players and wages, a perfectly normal thing in the madness that is footie finances. Either that's nonsense and he knew exactly what he was getting but thought it was good PR to suggest he saved the club in the post Leeds fiasco, or he's not a great businessman.

His filling of that hole was a £144m loan (of which £33m has been repaid) which was part of the original purchase price: he didn't wipe the debt off, it just moved to him instead, he then got 10 years of free sponsorship for his sweatshop.

He hasn't spent anything on training facilities or the ground (which is the reason Benitez really left after asking for money on training facilities), that and aiming only for survival purely for the worth of his asset is what most have a gripe about.

He will be making min. £150m when this deals goes through.

He will literally pay out the minimum to get max profit, as can be seen by his other ventures.

Anyway, hopefully football (and rugby, not that affects us) starts up again soon so we can beat City and have a nice day at Wembley!

Exiled Falcon 18 April, 2020 09:49
To be fair Kingston Parker, Ashley hired Joe Kinnear at one time, think that best sums up his tenure.

My biggest problem with him has been a colossal lack of ambition; I donít know how he managed it (am assuming he had photos of him at a party) but he managed to hire Rafa, a guy who would have graced any top flight team in any of the big leagues. For a relatively small outlay in football terms, say £100m, Rafa could have got us top 8, maybe top 6. His ghastly advertising hoardings would have got more exposure and he would no doubt recoup some of the outlay. But no, he chose not to, he is perfectly happy to simply exist and scratch around the bottom of the table. Woeful lack of ambition if you ask me.

alas 18 April, 2020 10:10
I'd take colossal lack of ambition if the alternative was someone who orders his henchmen to torture people to death and dismember them with a bone saw.

Exiled Falcon 18 April, 2020 10:13
Thatís a fair comment alas. Unfortunately that wonít bother a lot of supporters.

CharlieDog 18 April, 2020 10:58
Quote:
alas
I'd take colossal lack of ambition if the alternative was someone who orders his henchmen to torture people to death and dismember them with a bone saw.

Which, sadly, says all that needs to be said

RiponFalcon 18 April, 2020 11:54
[www.true-faith.co.uk]
A good article. Iím not sure why Newcastle United fans should be expected the lead the fight against the Saudi regime

From a Falcons point of view I am more interested in the Reuben brothers. They already own newcastle race course and the retail park on stamfordham road. They are worth 18b and it would be very nice if they could put some spare change in the Falcons direction

FalcDancer 18 April, 2020 12:22
Quote:
RiponFalcon
http://www.true-faith.co.uk/takeover-fake-news/
A good article. Iím not sure why Newcastle United fans should be expected the lead the fight against the Saudi regime

From a Falcons point of view I am more interested in the Reuben brothers. They already own newcastle race course and the retail park on stamfordham road. They are worth 18b and it would be very nice if they could put some spare change in the Falcons direction

I think the Reubens also own the former Bank of England site and the bottom half of Pilgrim St in the town as well

Football is all about money
Thereís Saudi money in Sheffield Utd, Dubai in Man City, Russian money in Chelsea, Chinese money in Wolves and trying to work out whoís sponsors have links to Middle Eastern or Chinese money is a minefield

If the deal goes through and I hope it does, Newcastle wonít be / arenít the only team with questionable sources of money

limpopo 18 April, 2020 12:31
What the N.U.F.C. supporters will not accept is that Ashley saved the club from bankruptcy. Yes he made some money from his investment, nothing wrong with that except to the blinkered 52,000

RiponFalcon 18 April, 2020 12:43
Quote:
limpopo
What the N.U.F.C. supporters will not accept is that Ashley saved the club from bankruptcy. Yes he made some money from his investment, nothing wrong with that except to the blinkered 52,000

I know not everyone shares my views on this one but I would have preferred bankruptcy. The club became nothing other than an advert for his Tat Emporium with finishing 17th the only objective. You attend sport at any level on the hope of better things. He removed all hope

FalcDancer 18 April, 2020 12:44
Quote:
limpopo

Did he though? The clubs debt and turnover were roughly the same and therefore manageable
Only relegation would have put the clubs finances into a position where the balance tipped too far towards debt

The finances werenít great thatís a given but to say the club was nearly bankrupt isnít correct

limpopo 18 April, 2020 12:54
If not what sellable assets did they have when he took them over

AJfalc 18 April, 2020 13:50
What has bugged me for the last 13 years is every time a player showed some good form, he was sold, you are never going to build a winning team getting rid of your best players.

Exiled Falcon 18 April, 2020 15:48
Quote:
limpopo

Look at it another way, who has benefitted most from his involvement? Clue, itís not the 52,000.

matt1il 18 April, 2020 16:52
Quote:
limpopo

In what way did he save us from bankruptcy? Other than him telling us he did?

In 2008 we had debts of £100m and an annual turnover of £100m.

[www.theguardian.com]

Northumbrian 18 April, 2020 16:59
If you can't make a club sustainable with a fan base of 50,000 and massive amounts of TV money, you would be grossly incompetent.

Leipziger 18 April, 2020 17:05
Quote:
RiponFalcon
Quote:
limpopo

I know not everyone shares my views on this one but I would have preferred bankruptcy. The club became nothing other than an advert for his Tat Emporium with finishing 17th the only objective. You attend sport at any level on the hope of better things. He removed all hope

Really, you'd have preferred to have had no club at all or at best a reformed one in the non-league, than what you've had over the past 13 years?!

Quote:
Northumbrian
If you can't make a club sustainable with a fan base of 50,000 and massive amounts of TV money, you would be grossly incompetent.

Well, you could spend £300m a year on player transfer fees plus wages, sack managers so often that at times you're actually paying millions of pounds to four in total (plus their respective backroom staff). Whether that is ambition or incompetence depends on your point of view.

RiponFalcon 18 April, 2020 17:30
I know not everyone shares my views on this one but I would have preferred bankruptcy. The club became nothing other than an advert for his Tat Emporium with finishing 17th the only objective. You attend sport at any level on the hope of better things. He removed all hope[/quote]

Really, you'd have preferred to have had no club at all or at best a reformed one in the non-league, than what you've had over the past 13 years?!

Bankruptcy even if that had happened is different from administration. At worst bankruptcy would have meant a 10 point deduction and relegation. He managed the relegation twice anyway. I am someone who attended about 1500 NUFC games in the 40 years before he arrived. I have attended 4 in the last 10 years. I havenít had a football club for the last 10 years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2020 17:31 by RiponFalcon.

saruman 18 April, 2020 18:01
Quote:
alas
This, 100%. If there are those extreme enough to think Saracens morally bankrupt, god knows what they think about this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2020 18:02 by saruman.

Exiled Falcon 18 April, 2020 18:08
To be honest I thoroughly admire you Ripon. It has become a huge source of irritation seeing fans huff and puff, moan their butts off, then hand over £500+ plus for their season ticket. Like, that really sorts Uncle Mike out.

Possibly if more fans had done the same something may have happened for the good.

Have to admit that thanks to Micky A I am at best ambivalent about our football team. Really quite a sad state of affairs having gone to my first game about 45 years ago.

AJfalc 18 April, 2020 20:36
I remember my first visit to the Gallowgate end for a match against Manchester United back in 1967, a feeling that I will never forget - thanks to MA a whole generation of kids wonít have that feeling.

Leipziger 19 April, 2020 11:08
Quote:
AJfalc
I remember my first visit to the Gallowgate end for a match against Manchester United back in 1967, a feeling that I will never forget - thanks to MA a whole generation of kids wonít have that feeling.

How not? My brother took his son to SJP for the first time a couple of months ago, with a few of his mates and their kids too.

AJfalc 19 April, 2020 11:51
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
AJfalc

How not? My brother took his son to SJP for the first time a couple of months ago, with a few of his mates and their kids too.

Because everyone is bored out of their skull for 90 minutes.
My last game, met some ST holders in the Irish club, they didn't leave the Irish until 7 minutes after kick off, and the guy sitting next to me never came back to his seat after half time.
Even watching Jim Iley and Alan Suddick, it never happened back then.

SimonG19 19 April, 2020 12:09
Quote:
AJfalc
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
AJfalc

My last game, met some ST holders in the Irish club, they didn't leave the Irish until 7 minutes after kick off, and the guy sitting next to me never came back to his seat after half time.

Everyone? Really? Have you conducted a survey?

limpopo 19 April, 2020 12:12
Quote:
AJfalc
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
AJfalc

And they are NUFC supporters are they? Says it all then really!

GeordieFalcon 19 April, 2020 17:41
I see theres talk now that they want to buy the Falcons. Its in a few sources

Be interesting to see if thats true or rubbish.

AJfalc 19 April, 2020 18:27
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
AJfalc
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
AJfalc

No I havenít done a survey just a general awareness the team has gone from ďthe entertainersĒ to ďparking the busĒ or where 90% of passes are backwards, if you enjoy it - good luck.

ed.up.north 20 April, 2020 11:58
Quote:
A tramp abroad
It is not unusual in company acquisitions for the seller to give a loan, it is called vendor financing. Mike Ashley has been quoted as willing to accept stage payments, this is a method of implementing that.
It is not an indication that the purchasers are short of funds.

Agreed. These people are generally ultra-wealthy because they finance their enterprises rather than commit their own cash. You can't earn interest on money you don't have.

SimonG19 20 April, 2020 12:39
Quote:
AJfalc
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
AJfalc
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
AJfalc

No I havenít done a survey just a general awareness the team has gone from ďthe entertainersĒ to ďparking the busĒ or where 90% of passes are backwards, if you enjoy it - good luck.

Now you claim "90% of passes are backwards"? Priceless!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net