Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Next Season
Discussion started by Davidten31 , 28 May, 2020 18:15
Next Season
Davidten31 28 May, 2020 18:15
sat at work today thinking about next season how much of a disadvantage will the Falcons have over the current premiership sides. Looks like they are going to complete this season then with a short break start the new season. Meanwhile the falcons are sat there twiddling their thumbs with no revenue coming in and will hardly be up to speed and match hardened compared to the other clubs. Also I understand our club is furloughed but its a bit worrying not hearing any announcements when other clubs are making announcements on signings. Having massive Falcon rugby withdrawals 😢

Re: Next Season
limpopo 29 May, 2020 09:36
I empathise with you David, but as I understand it, if furloughed you cannot work or communicate on pain of losing your 80%, is this so?

GeordieFalcon 29 May, 2020 10:22
On the other hand...we will be fresh...shouldnt have any injuries and be pulling up trees to get on the pitch.

We have signed 2 players that we know of...both exceptional championship players...who should actually improve what we have (In my opinion) so who knows what other correspondance has been going on with other players.

They will have plans in place...

DocA27 29 May, 2020 10:54
I do think it could go one of 2 ways. I think if we get it right, we could charge into the season fit and firing, the fittest a Falcons team has been in a long time, with players having spent a lot of time learning and understanding our style of play. And that is entirely dependent on good planning and top notch coaching, and have a large advantage over teams as they have injuries and fatigue. I do think regardless, our extended break is going to be a large advantage over other teams by the end of the season.

But, too often in recent seasons we've come into a new season with a plethora of injuries, and the team looking nowhere close to the level of fitness required and sometimes like they've never met each other. If that's the case then we may start having to do the ringfencing rain dance very quickly.

FalcDancer 29 May, 2020 10:55
Quote:
limpopo
I empathise with you David, but as I understand it, if furloughed you cannot work or communicate on pain of losing your 80%, is this so?

Article in the press today, HMRC have agreed that rugby players can train whilst in furlough to help get prepared for rugby restarting

markismith50 29 May, 2020 11:11
Correct, limpopo.

maire88 29 May, 2020 11:39
I have also heard that the Chancellor is going to announce that employees on furlough may work part time for their employers without prejudicing their furlough. There is expected to be an imminent announcement regarding this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2020 11:40 by maire88.

markismith50 29 May, 2020 12:49
Indeed, that would apply from August onwards.

matt1il 29 May, 2020 13:25
Furlough or not we could globally become the professional team to have the longest gap between competitive matches, that doesn't feel good to me

limpopo 29 May, 2020 15:13
I was referring to the point David made regarding no communication form the club, not players training. The club cannot be seen to be commenting and working when under furlough.

Falconsfan93 29 May, 2020 15:45
Seems like we could be waiting until August for proper communication from the club, which is very frustrating and pretty poor in my personal opinion but I also can see the flip side before anyone bites my head off Ha!

markismith50 29 May, 2020 16:35
Plans are in place for some limited comms in the interim. We appreciate and share your frustrations, and thank you for your patience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2020 16:36 by markismith50.

maire88 29 May, 2020 17:25
Thatís good to hear. Thanks Mark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2020 17:26 by maire88.

markismith50 29 May, 2020 18:19
No problem. Itíll be somebody else doing it as part of their many other duties, so please be understanding in terms of expectations and giving constructive feedback.

Obviously when I do eventually get unfurloughed weíll gradually resume normal service, but thereís no date for that as things stand.

In the meantime, please do stay safe, and keep looking after each other. Weíll be back before you know it!

Wensleydale Falcon 29 May, 2020 21:51
Very harsh Falconsfan93 to call the lack of communication pretty poor.

As has been mentioned earlier, if you are on furlough you categorically cannot perform any work duties.

Under no circumstances can we as a club jeopardise this, in these extremely difficult Financial Times for the club.

As always. when the time is right and appropriate Iím sure that the communication will flow.

markismith50 29 May, 2020 22:57
Itís ok Wensleydale. I fully appreciate and share the frustration on our radio silence, as does everyone at the club. Weíre working on a short term fix, and itís honestly not a problem to hear constructive feedback. Nobody is pretending the situation is ideal.

FalcDancer 29 May, 2020 22:58
Quote:
markismith50
No problem. Itíll be somebody else doing it as part of their many other duties, so please be understanding in terms of expectations and giving constructive feedback.
Obviously when I do eventually get unfurloughed weíll gradually resume normal service, but thereís no date for that as things stand.

In the meantime, please do stay safe, and keep looking after each other. Weíll be back before you know it!

Cheers for the update Smithy

Falconsfan93 29 May, 2020 23:27
WD I wouldnít say itís harsh other clubs have still managed to put out some form of communication during this awful time. I also Understand 100% the rules surrounding furlough and the implications of breaking those rules. I as I think the rest of us here would agree I want our club to be here after this thing is over! And I also donít want anyone to lose there job either. Iím more than appreciative of MS and his constant updates on this platform.

Davidten31 30 May, 2020 08:23
Thanks for the replies, I can see both sides of the argument about the long lay off between seasons, hopefully it will be a advantage to us with the players fit and raring to go.
I also fully understand the furlough and as frustrated as I am I'm sure Mark can double that. Thanks for replying Mark and hopefully you are all safely back at the club soon.

markismith50 30 May, 2020 08:54
Thanks David. No worries at all. We do realise itís frustrating, but thanks for the kind words.

Osric 30 May, 2020 20:43
Just to repeat from early in this peculiar period, thanks Mark for your continued presence on here, despite the difficulty of the situation.

markismith50 30 May, 2020 21:00
No worries, Osric. Itís not ideal for anyone, myself included, but with so much else going on in the world Iím just trying to retain a sense of perspective.

Weíll get back to Ďnormalí eventually - whatever that means!

aidanb 30 May, 2020 23:06
I think it will just be a blessing to have the Falcons back

I can wait for that because quite frankly the falcons rugby is over till next season. The prem has to get going again / decide to Jack it in for the season.

Then when thatís done we can see what next season holds.

Until then itís just a case of sitting tight.

JustAnotherOnlooker 31 May, 2020 11:46
So has anything been said for when stadiums (Particularly smaller ones like ours) can reopen for spectators?

If the rate of transmission is incredibly low in well ventilated, outdoor settings then there must surely be something on the horizon in terms of a plan.

markismith50 31 May, 2020 11:51
Not yet, no.

There have been some speculative media reports about limited crowd numbers (eg todayís Rugby Paper front page sidebar) but nothing official from government.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2020 11:53 by markismith50.

GeordieFalcon 01 June, 2020 13:10
This thread just sums up the whole farce of people in the UK.

PM - Do not go to public places, beaches etc..stay in lockdown unless at work or essential shopping, and we'll not enforce a curfue because we're treating you like adults .
People - Lets all go to the beach and have house parties and congragate despite what we've been told to do.

Falcons - We're on Furlough, so legally we cant communicate to you,we will as soon as we're allowed.
(Some) Fans - Why on earh are the falcons not giving us any commuication - its pathetic..and typical of the club!

You just got to laugh....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2020 09:22 by GeordieFalcon.

Falconsfan93 01 June, 2020 15:31
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
PM - Do not go to public places, beaches etc..stay in lockdown unless at work or essential shipping, and we'll not enforce a curfue because we're treating you like adults .
People - Lets all go to the beach and have house parties and congragate despite what we've been told to do.

Falcons - We're on Furlough, so legally we cant communicate to you,we will as soon as we're allowed.
Fans - Why on earh are the falcons not giving us any commuication - its pathetic..and typical of the club!

Falcons may be on furlough but many many other clubs have kept some form of comms up during this time where as the falcons havenít ďIN MY PERSONAL OPINIONĒ I feel this has been very poor yes granted Mark has been fantastic on this message board keeping us updated as much as possible. I really donít see what going to the beach and having house parties has to do with the falcons putting out some communication like other clubs but hey ho!

markismith50 01 June, 2020 15:48
Hi Falconsfan. Most clubs have 3,4 or 5 people in their media teams, and have left one of them off furlough. We donít have that room for manoeuvre unfortunately, given our media team of one.

I do realise itís frustrating, and itís an entirely legitimate comment. The reality is that the business needs to save costs, so this is the chosen course.

As Iíve said elsewhere, interim plans are being put in place for someone else to step in and combine some very basic comms with their other duties.

It goes without saying we all want a return to usual service ASAP, but the long term viability of the business has to take priority. I appreciate and share your frustrations, and hopefully we can get back properly at the earliest opportunity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2020 15:49 by markismith50.

CharlieDog 01 June, 2020 15:52
Spot on GF

Since we don't know who is furloughed either here or at other clubs the lack of communications thing is a bit ridiculous - the rules regarding furlough are strict and its not worth getting caught out - Smithy clearly posts in a personal capacity based on some inside knowledge - for all we know its only Deano and the FD who are still at work (someone has to manage the cashflow) - neither will have communications high up their list, completely understandably.

The other point is perhaps there is nothing to report - our season has finished, heaven knows when the next one will start - whats the rush????

Exiled Falcon 01 June, 2020 17:02
Great post Geordie and good last point C Dog, spot on.

Am glad itís not just me that despairs of a large swathe of our population who see fit to congregate in huge numbers and compound it by leaving their place of congregation like a landfill site. The country was a much nicer place with these *******s (insert swear word of choice) confined to barracks.

Canít get excited by the new season (yet) so agree...whatís the rush?

Leipziger 01 June, 2020 17:16
Not bothered at all by the lack of comms from the club, if Smithy and most others are furloughed then they're not going to be doing any promo work, and we can't really promote season tickets as nobody knows when next season will start. We are where we are, Premiership clubs can do what they want with where they are.

Nice of you to keep in touch though Smithy, stay safe (everyone else too of course!)

markismith50 01 June, 2020 17:38
Thanks Leipy. Home-schooling my 7yo is keeping me busy enough during the interim, and with my wife being a full-time key worker there hasnít been too much scope for respite!

Pool_falcon 02 June, 2020 06:50
With a lot of unions struggling for cash and releasing players (See Aus/Arg etc), we could potentially be in a decent position to make some late signings (if we're actually in a position to).

There's going to be a lot of bargains out there and we will have a lot of wiggle room seeming we come out healthy on the other side.

dick g 02 June, 2020 08:30
Quote:
Falconsfan93
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
PM - Do not go to public places, beaches etc..stay in lockdown unless at work or essential shipping, and we'll not enforce a curfue because we're treating you like adults .

Fans - Why on earh are the falcons not giving us any commuication - its pathetic..and typical of the club!

Falcons may be on furlough but many many other clubs have kept some form of comms up during this time where as the falcons havenít ďIN MY PERSONAL OPINIONĒ I feel this has been very poor yes granted Mark has been fantastic on this message board keeping us updated as much as possible. I really donít see what going to the beach and having house parties has to do with the falcons putting out some communication like other clubs but hey ho!

YOU OBVIOUSLY THINK THERE IS SOMETHING SO SPECIAL ABOUT YOUR OPINION THAT YOU HAVE TO EMPHASISE IT BY PUTTING THE ASSERTION IN CAPITAL LETTERS. Strange. Why the need to explain that what you are writing is your opinion. Whose else can it be?

dick g 02 June, 2020 08:38
Quote:
Falconsfan93
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

YOU OBVIOUSLY THINK THERE IS SOMETHING SO SPECIAL ABOUT YOUR OPINION THAT YOU HAVE TO EMPHASISE IT BY PUTTING THE ASSERTION IN CAPITAL LETTERS. Strange. Why the need to explain that what you are writing is your opinion. Whose else can it be?

Pool_falcon 02 June, 2020 10:25
There's an echo in here...

dick g 02 June, 2020 10:31
The message needed telling twice!
😈😈😈

Getitright 02 June, 2020 16:12
Smithy as usual is doing his best to respond when he himself is highly unlikely to know what his own let alone the clubs future holds.

Are you furloughed Falconsfan as it's not really a great position to be in?

On a lighter note poor Master Smith getting educated by his old man. Might be better enrolling him in the junior Open University if there was one (Sm141)

limpopo 02 June, 2020 16:40
Quote:
dick g
The message needed telling twice!
😈😈😈
Quite correct Dick, I find it hard to believe that some cannot understand that if the officers of the club are furloughed, they cannot, and don't mind repeating that, cannot, be at work and therefore are not able to communicate. Other clubs that are communicating, clearly still have personnel that are on salary or wage.

markismith50 02 June, 2020 16:57
Thanks GIR. Seems to be my daughter educating me, rather than the other way round!

Getitright 02 June, 2020 23:48
Oops apologies Smithy! Seems like my education needs an upgrade on male vs female!

markismith50 03 June, 2020 08:16
Haha, no problem GIR.

Monkey1 03 June, 2020 08:20
As we know very well, some clubs have money to burn, so they can have a team of people still working away & cost isn't an issue. We are not in that position, so we don't have a team working away, just for the sake of telling the supporters, well nothing really, just pointless commercial blather. There is no news, so what exactly would people expect to hear from the club if they blew a large sum of money on bringing back a whole bunch of people? No point bringing back just Smithy. What exactly would he be able to say if everybody else stayed at home?

Quote:
Mark Smith
Hi everyone. Great to be back in the office at last, on my own, with nothing happening & nothing to say. I would actually be more use at home educating my daughter, or at least learning what she is learning, because I had forgotten a lot of that stuff. Weather isn't too good today. Somebody nicked my mouse mat while I was away.
Ho hum.

Tiddlee dee.

yawn!

Sorry about that, just not much happening here, well nothing really, finding it hard to stay awake.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

GeordieFalcon 03 June, 2020 09:30
MOnkey... (Sm22)grinning smiley

GeordieFalcon 03 June, 2020 09:57
One thing though...i would like to be a fly on the wall when (IF) things return to normal..to see what Dean and Seymores plans are for the season ahead. Be very interesting.

Rafpilot2000 03 June, 2020 13:06
I think we are quite lucky in that the falcons Communications guy is also a genuine fan, unlike many clubs. Smithy , your continued engagement on this forum during what must be a very challenging time personally is very much appreciated. Being the apparent face of the club , you seem to get an unfair share of stick and questions that are unrealistic to answer but always seem to engage diplomatically .
I can only think that at the boardroom level , the sole aim is reducing costs/loses and doing what is necessary, albeit possibly unpopular to ensure the clubs survival. Arguably we have been the hardest hit out of all clubs given that we have been awarded promotion to a very competitive level of rugby whilst losing pretty much half the seasons in one from matches leaving us with nothing to play with in terms of recruiting and retention. My only hope is that Saracens get promoted at the first attempt such that we are not facing the risk of relegation and having to fight them again to get back up.
I'm
Not so concerned about premiership survival at present , more then survival of the club and its staff and I think whatever DoR calm salvage from this situation for next season should earn him big praise as he has a thankless task ahead .

markismith50 03 June, 2020 13:20
Thanks RAF, very kind of you.

Osric 04 June, 2020 17:53
Second that RAF. Well put.

aidanb 05 June, 2020 09:42
I had a thought about next season.

If we have a club and we all hope that we do but will wait till the club is back again before shouting and bawling for news.

Having said all that.

I am gonna build a frame in my back garden and wire in a preojeftor to that point.

Then stream the games onto my side house wall.

Will be able to stand outside in the bitter cold and get that north stand experience even tho in a south stander.

aidanb 05 June, 2020 09:42
I had a thought about next season.

If we have a club and we all hope that we do but will wait till the club is back again before shouting and bawling for news.

Having said all that.

I am gonna build a frame in my back garden and wire in a preojeftor to that point.

Then stream the games onto my side house wall.

Will be able to stand outside in the bitter cold and get that north stand experience even tho in a south stander.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net