Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Captain Mark Wilson - has been named in England's training squad as they prepare for the upcoming autumn tests.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Shape of things to come Down Under
Discussion started by dick g , 26 June, 2020 10:35
Shape of things to come Down Under
dick g 26 June, 2020 10:35
See that Aussie and Kiwi RU and RL bods are considering a cross-code international with 14-man teams. This could become an annual series. So RL gains one player and RU loses one. Fair does, eh. How long before South Africa and Argentina join in? Taken with law changes implemented by NZ, we could see quite different games played north and south of the Equator or Tropic of Capricorn. Actually, on thinking about it, does it really matter?

Re: Shape of things to come Down Under
limpopo 26 June, 2020 11:11
Well it does depend upon how you see the game I suppose, the Aussies have been trying to make RU
as close to RL as possible for some time now. Let me say that I like RL and coming originally from Hull, I used to see a lot of it, but my preference is Union and I do not want it b******d about with, unless we can do something about the scrum, another situation now, I believe, that came about as a result of the Southern Hemisphere.

Barry555 26 June, 2020 11:15
Money making spectacle for the fans is all it is. And Iím sure some of the players would be keen.

Donít care what time itís on take my money. Be very interesting to watch.

GeordieFalcon 26 June, 2020 11:21
Ive said it to most of my pals...20-30 years time both codes will have re-merged, and there will be one code.

You can see it a mile off.

Monkey1 26 June, 2020 18:20
You might well be right there GF. The way both games have evolved over the last decade or two makes it a logical way forward.

dick g 26 June, 2020 18:33
This was said 25 years ago when RU went pro. I will wait to see hybrid/bastardised game to make my mind up

Barry555 26 June, 2020 18:49
I donít think itíll be a game of ďseeing what it will be like if/when the two codes mergeĒ

I think itís merely a spectacle for fans and players and for both sports to make some cash. Iíd assume theyíll be some charitable organisations thatíll benefit from this too.

Donít think you can read too much more into it then that.

dick g 26 June, 2020 20:49
Quote:
Barry555
I donít think itíll be a game of ďseeing what it will be like if/when the two codes mergeĒ
I think itís merely a spectacle for fans and players and for both sports to make some cash. Iíd assume theyíll be some charitable organisations thatíll benefit from this too.

Donít think you can read too much more into it then that.

On reflection, I think you are right Barry. Hope so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net