Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falcons’ promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ringfencing is coming!
Discussion started by dick g , 23 July, 2020 08:46
Ringfencing is coming!
dick g 23 July, 2020 08:46
Wow! So the fence appears to be going up, not at the bottom of the Prem, but the top of the Championship. After an agreement of Champ clubs yesterday, their league is set to reject relegation from the Premiership. Fascinatingly, it will do exactly what I have suggested the Prem should do.

There will be two conferences and playoffs at the end of the season. Promotion from National League One will come over time for clubs which meet Championship criteria.

The aim is for the Championship to consist of 16 clubs. Players will not be full-time.

Championship reps meet with RFU dudes today and will also meet with Prem. The idea is to have an agreement by the end of August and the new structure in place for 21-22.

This seems in My Not Very Humble Opinion to be a logical and constructive step in the development of the professional game. The Premiership is being forced into a corner. And it is good.

Thanks Champs.

Re: Ringfencing is coming!
GeordieFalcon 23 July, 2020 09:34
Where did you get this info?

So are they actually saying they dont want relegation from the prem?

Gray_Lensman 23 July, 2020 09:45
Is this the 'Heartland League' floated in TRP a few days ago?

It didn't seem like a fully-realised proposal from the article.

GeordieFalcon 23 July, 2020 10:11
Well its actaully addressed in the Telegraph today. So seems a legitimate proposal .

They do need to restructure, due to the lack of money.

dick g 23 July, 2020 10:30
Got my version fromTimes reporting on Championship clubs' meeting yesterday. It was forecast without details in TRP. No way Times would invent this story without risk of alienating Championship.

To add to speculation, I believe that the new structure will begin with Sarries re-admission to Prem. Would also make sense - so won't happen - for Prem to invite Ealing Travelagents into its ranks to give us a 14 club league.

Interesting times, peeps.

SimonG19 23 July, 2020 17:56
The idea that Championship clubs who were opposed to ringfencing the Premiership now want the Championship to be ringfenced is somewhat interesting!

Barry555 23 July, 2020 18:03
Quote:
SimonG19
The idea that Championship clubs who were opposed to ringfencing the Premiership now want the Championship to be ringfenced is somewhat interesting!

I think the whole pandemic has shown some major frailties in clubs and they now are starting to understand that they are nowhere near close enough to prem standard.

Ring fencing was never about closing promotion to the top league. It was about closing the gap between the Prem and the Champ. The gap is too big. And I think the champ clubs are now starting to come round to the idea that they need a system that’s going to help them develop and push on. The league has so much potential.

dick g 23 July, 2020 19:17
Quote:
SimonG19

I suspect that the Champ clubs have tired of the annual visit of a Prem cuckoo to their nest and with the mega-cuckoo of Sarries about to arrive and slaughter all around them have decided that enough is enough. Quite right too.

trummy200 23 July, 2020 21:59
dick g - right on the button

Monkey1 24 July, 2020 08:36
Agreed Dick. The little bit that I have seen suggests the Championship clubs object to one visiting club steam-rollering all the others, then another doing the same next season, and so on forever. There must be safety concerns too. Every club we played last season seemed to put out their strongest team & give it the beans, and the next week they would have players missing through injury, and often lost their next game by a shed load of points. As the Championship clubs return to a more amateur basis, with fewer full-time players who can train to high standards, it is simply not safe to pitch these guys against teams of bigger & fitter players who hit harder. It is just a matter of time before it ends up in tragedy, so if that is where the clubs are coming from it makes perfect sense.

RiponFalcon 24 July, 2020 08:49
I have tended to be against ringfencing. There have been times when avoiding relegation has been the highlight of the season. However as a realist it is the only sensible option so let’s get on with it

GeordieFalcon 24 July, 2020 09:32
Well the big thing will be IF ringfencing does come in...will that change the way Dean plays the game.

Knowing he doesnt need to pick games to target where he'll pick up points for survival , will he operate a more go for it game?

GeordieFalcon 24 July, 2020 11:22
An interesting question arose from another forum...

The Southern Conference would be easy to pick... as theres loads of teams in the higher leagues .

But which teams would be included in the Northern Conference if it was 8 teams?

You would think :
Doncaster
Rotherham
Leeds
Darlington MP

Who else?
Hull Ionians?
Sale FC?
Blaydon..?

Do you pick teams from lower down who have the right stadiums and potential ??
Do you cluster several teams together to make a "super club"?

CharlieDog 24 July, 2020 11:49
Not only that, at the end of the season the 'relegated' side is from the northern conference but the promoted side is, say, Plymouth (just picking an extremely southern side) - does the next most northerly side switch conferences?

matt1il 24 July, 2020 11:54
Good point, if they just went for geographical split of the 11 other Championship sides and 5 top in NL1 for last season then you'd get a split at about Oxfordshire. If Leeds didn't make it in (due to their financial situation) it could even be the Thames river through London so Ealing could be "Northern"!

Not much travelling costs saved there for the Northern teams.

A bit like the Football Conference Regionals where Oxford City are in the South and Brackley (in north Oxfordshire) are in the North and played Gateshead this season. Or a few seasons ago where Bishop's Stortford (a town just outside the M25) were in the North division.

CharlieDog 24 July, 2020 12:05
Are we sure the plan is to stop promotion to the Premiership or just restructure the league?

Reading another forum suggests "It seems the proposal includes promotion to the Premiership based on a complicated mechanism but clubs will be judged according to performance on the field, crowd figures, stadium and training ground, infrastructure and financial resources. If a club is promoted by that mechanism, they will operate off a level playing field when they get to the Premiership"

So, an agreed MSC to avoid another London Welsh, which may or may not result in promotion - but who is judge over who meets the criteria?

dick g 24 July, 2020 12:37
Quote:
CharlieDog
Are we sure the plan is to stop promotion to the Premiership or just restructure the league?
Reading another forum suggests "It seems the proposal includes promotion to the Premiership based on a complicated mechanism but clubs will be judged according to performance on the field, crowd figures, stadium and training ground, infrastructure and financial resources. If a club is promoted by that mechanism, they will operate off a level playing field when they get to the Premiership"

So, an agreed MSC to avoid another London Welsh, which may or may not result in promotion - but who is judge over who meets the criteria?

As far as I understand, the promotion critetia described here are for clubs comkng up to the Champ from Nat One not from Champ to Prem. Mind, I hope this happens. I have always favoured organic growth.

By the way, a two conference structure for the Prem which I hope will appear some day shouldn't be too hard to organise on the lines of Midlands and the North in one conf and London and the South West in the other.

Barry555 24 July, 2020 13:49
I believe it’s getting closer to “franchising” in which if teams want to play in the Prem they need to meet multiple criteria like facilities/ticket sales and of course performance. So it’s not closing the door on the Champ it’s just making sure when they step through the door they are as equipped as possible to compete.

As the Prem increases conferencing will probably have to come in as Dick_g ways. Which in itself could be interesting.

Champ clubs probably thought they could give us a good go when we came down. Now it’s Saracens I doubt they’ll have that attitude.

Rafpilot2000 24 July, 2020 14:53
It might be nice to travel and get a chance to see premiership stadiums for championship teams but there can be little fun in knowing the result before you go, getting smashed all afternoon and picking up a string of injuries due to a physical mis match.
For every championship team we played it was like their cup final and for us , each game blunted our premiership attack as you can only play what's infront of you. Some seemed upset when the championship season Finished early but anyone who thought that a team other than us would be top of the league at the end of the season would be living in a fantasy world.
The gulf is too big between premiership and championship and the only thing that relegation does is financially impact a team for a year which could result in redundancies and less work in the community .

GeordieFalcon 24 July, 2020 15:41
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
It might be nice to travel and get a chance to see premiership stadiums for championship teams but there can be little fun in knowing the result before you go, getting smashed all afternoon and picking up a string of injuries due to a physical mis match.

To be fair thats how i felt when i travelled to Exeter for our game there last season and we were in the prem then winking smileygrinning smiley

Leipziger 24 July, 2020 15:56
Unfortunately with the cut in funding and reduction in professional status, ringfencing is now an obvious way to go if it happens. I don't like it, I don't like how the cartel have engineered a situation over the long-term to make ringfencing a logical answer, but I've also long considered it inevitable. We'll see though whether the benefits expected by those who support ringfencing come true.

From the Championship clubs' point of view, hopefully a more even league will invigorate them too.

dick g 24 July, 2020 16:23
Quote:
Leipziger
Unfortunately with the cut in funding and reduction in professional status, ringfencing is now an obvious way to go if it happens. I don't like it, I don't like how the cartel have engineered a situation over the long-term to make ringfencing a logical answer, but I've also long considered it inevitable. We'll see though whether the benefits expected by those who support ringfencing come true.
From the Championship clubs' point of view, hopefully a more even league will invigorate them too.

This latest ringfencing idea comes from the Championship not the "cartel" unless the Champ has one as well. All the Champ clubs have signed up to the idea.

Barry555 24 July, 2020 16:33
Prem teams aren’t fussed about ringfencing I’d have thought as secures their top flight status. It’s the champ clubs that have been against it.

Hopefully now they finally realise they need a change in structure in order to maximise their potential. How great would it be in 10 years time to have more top flight teams churning out top quality talent putting on attacking exciting rugby week in week out. It does happen nowadays but not as often as we would like.

CharlieDog 24 July, 2020 17:28
My understanding of this is that:
- the Championship wants to restructure to help reduce costs
- they accept some form of MSC on grounds of player safety and financial stability
- but promotion to (and relegation from) the Premiership could still exist

However, this is dependent upon the Prem becoming 13/14 teams as without this the relegated 13th member will seemingly always win the Champ play offs and qualify for the MSC for promotion, so nothing gained.

So over to PRL - are they prepared to go for a 14 team league / conference?

matt1il 24 July, 2020 18:29
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
Leipziger

This latest ringfencing idea comes from the Championship not the "cartel" unless the Champ has one as well. All the Champ clubs have signed up to the idea.

I'm not sure this hasn't been forced upon them with having to go semi pro, take a revenue hit (pre COVID) and no chance o progression upwards. It may just be rather than wait for the inevitable once Saracens come up they've taken the initiative/hints.

If/when ringfencing happens and whether the end of the season is in May or Oct then I hope Falcons have something to play for as I'll be hard pushed to be interested in dead rubbers from mid season onwards. Maybe we could even prioritise Europe for once!

dick g 24 July, 2020 18:48
Quote:
CharlieDog
My understanding of this is that:
- the Championship wants to restructure to help reduce costs
- they accept some form of MSC on grounds of player safety and financial stability
- but promotion to (and relegation from) the Premiership could still exist

However, this is dependent upon the Prem becoming 13/14 teams as without this the relegated 13th member will seemingly always win the Champ play offs and qualify for the MSC for promotion, so nothing gained.

As I understand it, accepting relegation from the Prem would end. Promotion from Nat One will be based upon aspirant clubs meeting criteria of ground facilities, player development etc. This is what the Champ clubs agreed.

Monkey1 25 July, 2020 09:06
Quote:
CharlieDog

This myth about a 14 team prem seems to keep on going. It will be 13 teams, there is no 14th team, the funding has always been split between 13 teams, and I can't see any incentive for the 13 clubs to want to dilute that funding amongst 14 teams. Belief in the 14 team prem is on a par with believing that the average person swallows 8 spiders in their lifetime without knowing about it. Both ideas are completely made up and are merely kept going by a cycle of repetition and consequent belief.

There was a similar belief that ring fencing would be brought in as soon as Bristol were promoted. The 'cartel' were apparently poised to bang shut the trapdoor the moment this happened. That turned out to be a load of bollocks too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/07/2020 09:07 by Monkey1.

Leipziger 25 July, 2020 09:12
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
Leipziger

Even better from the Premiership's point of view.

dick g 25 July, 2020 09:18
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
CharlieDog

This myth about a 14 team prem seems to keep on going. It will be 13 teams, there is no 14th team, the funding has always been split between 13 teams, and I can't see any incentive for the 13 clubs to want to dilute that funding amongst 14 teams.

Nothing is impossible including a radical re-structuring of the professional game so that it can survive. At the moment, it is teetering on the edge of a high cliff.

GeordieFalcon 27 July, 2020 09:21
Ealing is the problem...they are backed by a weatlhy guy who will probably take legal action if they dont get a chance in the prem.

And the prem want clubs with wealthy backers.

dick g 27 July, 2020 09:43
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Ealing is the problem...they are backed by a weatlhy guy who will probably take legal action if they dont get a chance in the prem.

It can't be beyond the wit of those involved to reduce the shareholdings of the 13 PRL owning clubs and sell the resultant "spare" shares to the Travelagents and let them up. If there is a will, etc.......

pityacker 27 July, 2020 10:09
The situation at Ealing and the money being invested by their owner to gain premier league status while noteworthy and nice to see appears baffling , they are investing heavily again in players for next season but with Saracens being in the equation the probability for next season another runners up position seems likely . Their ground holds 4,000 with 2,200 seated shared with London Broncos and its size and facilities well short of premiership standards but this could be overcome by renting another stadium however how would they fill that stadium to fund extra costs ? Their gates this season vary from 530 v Amptill to 788 v Coventry with one exception their home game v Falcons which was 1,950 but even that surely not enough to fund a Premier club.

Leipziger 27 July, 2020 10:39
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

It can't be beyond the wit of those involved to reduce the shareholdings of the 13 PRL owning clubs and sell the resultant "spare" shares to the Travelagents and let them up. If there is a will, etc.......

There probably isn't a will though. The cartel's motivation for ringfencing is to protect their investments and secure their own income streams, so as Monkey said above, it's unlikely they will want to dilute their share of the revenue by allowing in a 14th member.

SimonG19 27 July, 2020 12:27
I remember the good old days when rugby was a sport.

Monkey1 27 July, 2020 13:02
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Take legal action against who exactly? It appears that it is the Championship clubs who are behind this because they no longer want relegation from the Premiership. Is he likely to sue himself, or am I missing something?

GeordieFalcon 27 July, 2020 13:09
For taking away the oppertunity for his team to be in the top flight.

I wouldnt be surprised if he took legal action against which ever parties were stopping that.

CharlieDog 27 July, 2020 14:00
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Take legal action against who exactly? It appears that it is the Championship clubs who are behind this because they no longer want relegation from the Premiership. Is he likely to sue himself, or am I missing something?

Would someone please point me at the document or article that explicitly says the Championship wants to stop promotion to or relegation from the Premiership........? (and not cheap journalistic speculation)

dick g 27 July, 2020 14:47
Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Would someone please point me at the document or article that explicitly says the Championship wants to stop promotion to or relegation from the Premiership........? (and not cheap journalistic
speculation)

Reports in both Times and Tele last week. Not speculation, but reports. No denial issued by Championship and highly unlikely that the two papers would risk future relationship with Champ by inventing the situation.

Bedlington Lad 28 July, 2020 09:28
I think seeing is believing in this case though.

CharlieDog 28 July, 2020 11:54
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
I think seeing is believing in this case though.

Exactly......

Whilst the Times story does say it will close promotion and relegation from the Prem, the Telegraph says there will still be promotion and relegation subject to certain criteria

Two newspapers, two different stories on the same theme..... who would ever have believed it........

Monkey1 28 July, 2020 12:48
Quote:
CharlieDog
Two newspapers, two different stories on the same theme..... who would ever have believed it........

I haven't read either article but would take a guess that the Times article takes a slant that promotion & relegation is featured on Sky Sports which is available at only £££ and the Telegraph says that doing more business with China, which is a great trading nation by the way, gives a different view on promotion & relegation.

Meanwhile, in other papers, in the Guardian, Kier Starmer says he will put promotion & relegation at the top of the agenda when he is prime minister, and in the Mirror, Jeremy Corbyn says that Kier Starmer is wrong to discuss it at all and is avoiding the real issues. The Sun says that Boris will make promotion & relegation great again, and the Express says that Diana was the people's champion for promotion & relegation.

SimonG19 28 July, 2020 14:23
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
CharlieDog

I haven't read either article but would take a guess that the Times article takes a slant that promotion & relegation is featured on Sky Sports which is available at only £££ and the Telegraph says that doing more business with China, which is a great trading nation by the way, gives a different view on promotion & relegation.

Meanwhile, in other papers, in the Guardian, Kier Starmer says he will put promotion & relegation at the top of the agenda when he is prime minister, and in the Mirror, Jeremy Corbyn says that Kier Starmer is wrong to discuss it at all and is avoiding the real issues. The Sun says that Boris will make promotion & relegation great again, and the Express says that Diana was the people's champion for promotion & relegation.

.... and TRP still says Saracens were innocent!

dick g 29 July, 2020 18:12
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
CharlieDog

Thanks for this valuable and well considered contribution to this thread. It puts everything in a new perspective. Or should I be laughing?

RiponFalcon 29 July, 2020 20:40

markismith50 29 July, 2020 21:37
All just proposals at this stage, and with massive caveats. I wouldn’t get too attached to it.

dick g 30 July, 2020 09:46
I won't get attached, but I am encouraged that consideration is underway and that the Champ proposals are a shade clearer. The issue of Ealing is important. But historically, how many real Champ sides have been promoted?

I can only think of Exeter. That apart, promotion has been the preserve of a Prem club which has completed its year on the Naughty Step.

And it is now several seasons since Bedford effectively ended automatic promotion by declaring that it wouldn't go up even if it won the Championship.

I glimpse a distant view of reality.

GeordieFalcon 30 July, 2020 10:03
I can see this happening to be honest. Its been coming for a long time.

And critically, on a financial basis its the most obvious solution.

And it means Dean can take those shackles off the boys and play some attacking pacy rugby grinning smiley

Rafpilot2000 30 July, 2020 12:04
I think Exeter sadly needs to be viewed as an aboration as for years it has been used (fairly) as the primary , if only strong argument against ring fencing.

Obviously as rugby puritans we live with the dream
of any club potentially having a shot at the big time. Sadly the reality is watching your club get promoted , move grounds to meet premiership criteria, alienating the fans , getting hammered 0-100 every game and being relegated bankrupt , is neither sustainable nor fair.

Equally the prospect of watching the championship next year with Saracens steam roller ing everything in their path, probably with Ealing a distant second but citing legal reasons why they should get promoted is equally un-enticing

Ring fencing has been in the cards for years. The premiership criteria, then the slash in funding and now the discussions in the papers about Championship clubs taking the very lead that the premiership should have taken.

Rugby is a business in the entertainment sector. A vintage cinema with its charm can not compete with a multiplex so why should it. Financial stability , long term investment including multi season sponsorship and kit providers can only help all concerned . Stability in ticket prices , security for employers and players not having to worry about international opportunities whilst playing for a team that could be relegated can only be seen as positive.

It could mean that some of the academy lads coming through might stay with us instead of leaving to have a shot at playing at the next level.

saruman 30 July, 2020 19:15
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
I can see this happening to be honest. Its been coming for a long time.
And critically, on a financial basis its the most obvious solution.

And it means Dean can take those shackles off the boys and play some attacking pacy rugby grinning smiley

But we got relegated because we were the worst team, shackles on or off. If there is no relegation and we still come bottom how does that make it better? Playing “unshackled” without the players and coaches to do it will generally result in similar results, with the odd shock victory when it comes off.

GeordieFalcon 31 July, 2020 10:11
Ok this is how i see it..my opinion...

When you are on the verge of relegation every year, you play a restricted structured, risk free gameplan...targeting specific games to pick up points. Keep the scorelines close...

You tend to pick specfic players (older experienced ones) because you trust them and cant risk new players making inexperienced mistakes that will cost points etc.

In my opinion, Thats been one reason why we see so many of our youngsters moving on to teams where they can get games.

Compound that will the fact we arent the richest club and it becomes a trudge.

However.....

If you take the risk of relegation away....look what happens...

Llast season in the championship. Very little risk as we were by far the best team in the league...so Dean was able to blood Blamire (18 games), Wakecoke, Stevenson, Farrar, Montgomery, etc etc and theres many more kids to come through...Kelemeti the scrum half etc if he wasnt injured.

Do you think those lads would have played so much in the prem with a relegation threat. i dont think so. We moan about the lack of quality players and we cant afford them...but we HAVE talented kids they just dont always get the exposure they should due to the risk factor. You cant blame Dean for that i guess.

The U18s side is supposed to be one of the most talented sides weve seen in a long time...maybe with ringfencing where mistakes arent crucial ...some of these WILL get the gametime they need at us...and we can adapt our tactics to recognise that talent and skill.

We can play a more headsup, not so structured game... where the kids game take chances and players like Radwan can thrive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 31/07/2020 10:13 by GeordieFalcon.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net