Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

New defence coach
Discussion started by pityacker , 23 July, 2020 11:04
New defence coach
pityacker 23 July, 2020 11:04
A post on Falcons site which was quickly removed for some reason but says Nick Easter is our new defence coach.

Re: New defence coach
aidanb 23 July, 2020 11:05
Minty ?

markismith50 23 July, 2020 11:07
Should be putting something out later today, all being well, but it's always a nice way to get people talking!

FalcDancer 23 July, 2020 11:14
Thereís the link to Dean then. Former Quins
He was a good player Easter, great carrier

GeordieFalcon 23 July, 2020 11:18
Thats an interesting one....

pityacker 23 July, 2020 11:57
If it is indeed Easter he has had a few years experience as was defence coach at Quins after retiring until Gustard was appointed head coach then left and since has been at Natal Sharks coaching a few disciplines I think.

AFalcon24 23 July, 2020 12:02
Interesting didn't think of Easter. Be good to see what he does with our defence.

aidanb 23 July, 2020 12:04
Mark, will someone be teaching him the lingo ?

pityacker 23 July, 2020 12:12
Now confirmed on website.

Exiled Falcon 23 July, 2020 12:21
Thatís an impressive piece of recruitment, well done to the club.

Rogerandout 23 July, 2020 12:32
Happy with that. He was a good and intelligent player so hopefully with those attributes he will be a good coach.

GeordieFalcon 23 July, 2020 12:36
Thats a good move. Welcome Nick.

markismith50 23 July, 2020 12:57
Had a good chat with him this morning, and heís keen as mustard to get stuck into the job.

Monkey1 23 July, 2020 12:59
That's a class bit of recruitment, well done to those involved & welcome Nick.

GeordieFalcon 23 July, 2020 13:10
Excellent...a nice brick wall defence will do nicely.

Now to get Mr Walder to get the boys playing a bit more pacy, heads up, supporting attack...

Simples - title is ours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2020 13:10 by GeordieFalcon.

BorderFalcon 23 July, 2020 13:37
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Excellent...a nice brick wall defence will do nicely.
Now to get Mr Walder to get the boys playing a bit more pacy, heads up, supporting attack...

Simples - title is ours.

This.

Great piece of business strengthening the coaching team but also as a statement of intent which wonít hurt recruitment at all.

matt1il 23 July, 2020 13:52
Great stuff, seems to be we're picking up the good uns from the (rumoured) fall out of Super Rugby.

saruman 23 July, 2020 14:00
Quote:
Rogerandout
Happy with that. He was a good and intelligent player so hopefully with those attributes he will be a good coach.

Intelligent ?
[www.theguardian.com]

Falcona 23 July, 2020 14:29
Official Announcement
For immediate release: Thursday 23 July, 2020
Issued on behalf of Newcastle Falcons

Nick Easter joins Newcastle Falcons as defence coach

Nick Easter will be Newcastle Falconsí defence coach following the clubís promotion back into the Gallagher Premiership - the former England No 8 returning to his homeland after a successful spell coaching in South Africa.

The 41-year-old won 54 England caps between 2007 and 2015, playing in three Rugby World Cups and making 281 appearances for Harlequins.

Spending two seasons as defence coach with the London club following his retirement as a player in 2016, Easter has been in Durban for the past two seasons, helping Natal Sharks win the 2018 Currie Cup final as well as serving as forwards and defence coach for the Sharks in Super Rugby.

Newcastle Falcons director of rugby Dean Richards welcomed news of Easterís imminent arrival on Tyneside, saying: ďHe has a good few yearsí coaching experience under his belt at a high level, and will add a lot to our group.

ďI worked with Nick at Harlequins during his playing career, and heís a great character who really understands the game. He has since gone on and broadened his coaching horizons in South Africa, and will bring a fresh pair of eyes at a really important time for the club.

ďIím really excited about what Nick can bring as we embark on our preparation for the 2020-21 Premiership season, and itís an exciting time for the club.Ē

Newcastleís return to the 2020-21 Gallagher Premiership was confirmed back in April, the Falcons standing 18 points clear at the top of the Championship table after winning all 15 of their league games prior to the season ending early due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Delighted to have agreed his move to Kingston Park, Easter said: ďItís great to have the opportunity to coach back in the Premiership Ė especially working with a guy like Dean and at a club like Newcastle.

ďI have a great relationship with Dean having played under him at Harlequins, and heís doing great work up there with a couple of promotions and a top-four Premiership finish. Itís a club on the rise, I and I want to play my part in helping the growth of rugby in the North East.

ďIíve had a great experience in South Africa over the last few years, and learned a lot from being involved in Super Rugby. Iíll now be looking to take that and grow it further by working with an outstanding group of coaches and players at the Falcons, and itís an exciting prospect.Ē

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2020 14:30 by Falcona.

Leipziger 23 July, 2020 14:36
Big name, hopefully someone with lots of contacts and of course skill with running a defence. Good news.

Hampshire.Falcon 23 July, 2020 14:44
We have Risen and now we celebrate Easter

Exiled Falcon 23 July, 2020 15:04
As with our recent Argentinian international recruit, the recruitment of an ambitious young coach sends out a really strong signal that we mean business. The club deserve a big pat on the back.

Davidten31 23 July, 2020 15:28
Happy with this, great bit of business done by the Falcons. An ambitious young coach who already has some really good experience. Hopefully he'll bring a couple of South Africans players over with him ??
Keep these great signings / announcments coming Falcons.

markismith50 23 July, 2020 15:31
Thanks, guys. Iím away next week, but should crack on with the player announcements the week after, all things being well.

Cantabrian 23 July, 2020 15:41
The second class signing this month. The outlook is definitely looking rosier.

aidanb 23 July, 2020 15:53
Quote:
saruman
Quote:
Rogerandout

Intelligent ?
[www.theguardian.com]

There's always one

Barry555 23 July, 2020 17:20
Quote:
saruman
Quote:
Rogerandout

Intelligent ?
[www.theguardian.com]

Wonder how many stupid comments we could pull up about ourselves over the years? Does that mean youíre not qualified to do your job etc?

To be fair Iím surprised at this signing. I think it could be very interesting and Iím sure he wasnít short of offers.

As I said a few weeks ago the squad/coaching team will start to be made clear when the club gets back to normal and itís starting to unravel like that.

Hopefully those that ludicrously had us as relegated already weeks ago will now start coming round to the idea that we will be able to put up a good fight and finish as high as we can.

I look forward to the other signings.

Leipziger 23 July, 2020 17:24
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
saruman
Quote:
Rogerandout

Intelligent ?
[www.theguardian.com]

There's always one

9 years ago and if he did say it, he clearly regretted it. One remark, especially one this innocuous, doesn't define a person's character or intelligence.

Barry555 23 July, 2020 18:00
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
saruman
Quote:
Rogerandout

Intelligent ?
[www.theguardian.com]

There's always one

9 years ago and if he did say it, he clearly regretted it. One remark, especially one this innocuous, doesn't define a person's character or intelligence.

Very well put Leipy. I couldnít find the right words to describe this but you have!

Bedlington Lad 24 July, 2020 09:17
I think this is an excellent piece of business. Unfortunate for the Super rugby but if it permits us to pick up high quality players and coaches I see that as beneficial to all parties.

Rafpilot2000 26 July, 2020 20:53
TBH if I was playing for pride and my country but had just lost £35k to take my family on holiday or pay some
Bills I would be a bit hacked off too. And as he stated , it was taken out of context and was supposed to be private and anonymous .
I can't fault the man in any way and anyone who does must be a modern day saint.
Cracking signing getting Nick on board. Credibility from his playing days, young enough to connect with the younger players, good friends with Dean, coming in for the challenge and from
What I have heard around the bazaars , a nice guy. Will be great to see him in falcons kit. Shrewd business

aidanb 27 July, 2020 14:33
I think the more important quote from Minty was when he thanked the press from the heart of his bottom. I loved it when he said that cos they had called England all sorts and he was reminding them of their ability to talk guff

The man was a quality player and his money quip would surely have been just that, a quip.

Leipziger 27 July, 2020 20:21
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
TBH if I was playing for pride and my country but had just lost £35k to take my family on holiday or pay some
Bills I would be a bit hacked off too.

Yes I think most people would. It was probably meant as a private joke but someone decided to blab about it. And if it wasn't Easter who said it, how do we not know that the player involved wasn't having some financial problems at the time and could've really used the money?

Overall, bit of a storm in a teacup.

Monkey1 28 July, 2020 08:20
How on earth did we get onto even discussing this nonsense? We have an excellent new defence coach yet most of the discussion is about a silly comment.

Welcome to the world of internet message boards.
(Sm16)

GeordieFalcon 28 July, 2020 08:22
Jeez who cares what he said 9 years ago in the changing room after a gutting defeat.

I just hope he brings some aggression and brutal defence...and maybe even have an input in to the attack, as he was Natals Forwards and ATTACK coach when they won the currie cup.

Monkey1 28 July, 2020 08:28
Giving all due credit to Wells, Easter has a pretty good starting point. Our defence wasn't bad at all, the main problem being that we spent almost the entire game having to defend, because every time we got the ball we gifted it back to the opposition. If he can do something about that he will be worth every penny.

GeordieFalcon 28 July, 2020 08:56
Yes...Wells was generally one of the bright points with his defence.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net