Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Josh Matavesi
Discussion started by Barry555 , 09 September, 2020 22:12
Josh Matavesi
Barry555 09 September, 2020 22:12
Any chance he was on a deal where heíd be coming back to us for the new prem season like Mulipola... asking for a friend...

Currently tearing it up for Bath in the Prem. Heís looking very good!

Re: Josh Matavesi
markismith50 09 September, 2020 22:16
No, Josh moved permanently to be closer to his father, who is not in the best of health.

Great to see him carrying on the fine work he did for us. Lovely fella, too.

Weíve got some cracking centres on board, though, so full steam ahead for the new season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2020 22:16 by markismith50.

Barry555 09 September, 2020 22:39
Was more a tongue in cheek comment/question smithy!

Awesome to see heís doing well down in Bath. Whilst a bit inconsistent for us he has some fantastic games and was clear to see he always put in 110%.

Great to see former falcons boys doing well and of course look forward to seeing what the newly assembled squad can do.

markismith50 09 September, 2020 22:47
Always felt Josh was very good for us and was vastly underrated by some fans, but weíre all entitled to our opinions and itís fine to disagree.

Yorksfalcon 10 September, 2020 07:45
I thought Josh was excellent for us, he threw the odd interception but that happens. He just seems to have got himself much fitter, he always seemed to be held together by tape when he played for us.

markismith50 10 September, 2020 07:54
Heís had 5 months of non-contact to iron out some niggles, which he wouldnít normally get. Seems heís used it well. Good on him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 07:54 by markismith50.

FalcDancer 10 September, 2020 08:28
Josh is a superb player
Playing at 12 he gave us good left foot kicking option (Flood Hodgson right footed) as well as a ball carrying threat
Heís also quick for a big bloke and itís good to see that heís doing well at Bath, although I wish we could have kept him on. Family first though

GeordieFalcon 10 September, 2020 10:45
I admit i was one of the ones who did get a bit frustrated with him...but thats becuase i knew what he was capable of. Huge guy, immense power, decent pace, great hands and great kicking ability, if you pencilled in a template for a 12 Josh would be one of them.

He generally played well for us...but once in a blue moon, he seemed to click and all the skill set came together and he absolutely Bossed / controlled the games. He aggressivley carried and took the game to the opposition.

But we didnt see that consistently...and THAT was the frustrating part for me. Knowing just how good he can be.
Maybe i do him a disservice, maybe he was carrying niggles, maybe we didnt always give him the required pack platform to really perform and not be on the back foot etc and as you say he may be injury free and getting the pack dominance to allow him to do that and enjoy his rugby now.

Good luck to the guy though. Always gave 100% for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 10:48 by GeordieFalcon.

NorfolkFalcon 10 September, 2020 11:13
He was absolutely immense when we finished 4th, but thought he, like many, were simply not good enough in our relegation season. Now things have come to light you have to think personal issues might have been the root cause for this.

He seems a great character so I wish him all the best.

Rogerandout 10 September, 2020 11:26
Last night he had loads of front foot possession in the right areas of the pitch. He did well sometimes and not so well on others. I certainly wasnít in awe of his performance.
He scored broadly a try every 10 games for us.
I quite liked him and if he is personally a great guy all the better but i think we have a lot of good centres.
Another point I would like to raise is that commentators seem to pick on players to praise regardless of what they do. Particularly sons and nephews of former players. The amount of sons of former players that get the chance to play at the highest level now looks ridiculous. Some have proven to be good enough and good luck to them but the fawning of the commentators over certain surnames gets on my nerves.

matt1il 10 September, 2020 12:05
He looks like he's put on a bit of weight as well compared to his time here but not lost any speed which is good going.

He did miss a sitter early on which didn't seem to put him off.

He and a few other ex-Falcons from the 4th place and relegation years now in the battle for top 4 (or 2nd-4th at least) and getting decent game time.

Exiled Falcon 10 September, 2020 12:13
Did think he looked rather chunky shall we say, however he hasnít looked out of place in a Bath side fighting for top 4 so said chunkiness isnít exactly a hindrance. Nice to see him doing well, one of the good guys apparently.

Barry555 10 September, 2020 12:46
Think we must have had him on a strict plan to cut the weight as I agree he does look like heís put the timber on a bit!

Never a question of talent and he had some very very good games for us only downside was consistency. He is one of the rare centres that can do everything , kick pass run carry. One of Deans good signings.

markismith50 10 September, 2020 19:52
Iíve just had a message from Josh. His uncle had seen this thread and told him about it. Josh just says to say he really appreciates the comments, he misses the place a lot and he wishes us every success for the season. I said Iíd pass it on to you all.

FalcDancer 10 September, 2020 22:00
Quote:
markismith50
Iíve just had a message from Josh. His uncle had seen this thread and told him about it. Josh just says to say he really appreciates the comments, he misses the place a lot and he wishes us every success for the season. I said Iíd pass it on to you all.

Thatís good to see
Hopefully weíll see him at KP in the not too distant future

aidanb 11 September, 2020 07:42
Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
markismith50

Thatís good to see

Did you ask him if Heíd been on the Andy Goode diet down there in bath ?

GeordieFalcon 11 September, 2020 09:09
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
FalcDancer
Quote:
markismith50

Thatís good to see

Did you ask him if Heíd been on the Andy Goode diet down there in bath ?

(Sm22)

FalcDancer 11 September, 2020 09:13
I remember before Josh left, he had posted on social media that he had trimmed down to his lightest weight in a long time

Heís definitely put some meat back on at Bath

A difference in coaching opinion?

markismith50 11 September, 2020 09:37
Or five months without training!?

FalcDancer 11 September, 2020 09:39
Quote:
markismith50

No Smithy this was before lockdown before he left
He made the point that he has slimmed down , donít get me wrong he was still in fantastic shape just lighter

dick g 11 September, 2020 10:00
Quote:
markismith50

I've had 60 years without training. It's beginning to show.

markismith50 11 September, 2020 10:06
No FD, youíre missing my point. I was joking that Josh might have put on a bit of timber since leaving us due to not training during the lockdown.

Letís be fair, even the slimmed-down version is still nudging the 100kg mark, and to me he looks no different now to when he left us, apart from the mullet and a different coloured shirt.

FalcDancer 11 September, 2020 11:14
Quote:
markismith50
No FD, youíre missing my point. I was joking that Josh might have put on a bit of timber since leaving us due to not training during the lockdown.
Letís be fair, even the slimmed-down version is still nudging the 100kg mark, and to me he looks no different now to when he left us, apart from the mullet and a different coloured shirt.

Ah right I did miss that
Someone needs to have a word about his hair
Same with Will Witty

GeordieFalcon 11 September, 2020 11:37
Mullets seem standard down that neck of the woods....Exeter have their own Mullet competition...

Monkey1 11 September, 2020 12:11
5 months of lockdown pizzas?

Barry555 11 September, 2020 12:34
Cheers for passing the message on smithy. Makes me want him back even more!

Most players probably put on timber during lockdown just down to the sheer drop in workload and Not training 5 days a week. Some players will struggle to put weight on regardless so be fine and some will be mad keen fitness bunnies whilst others arenít. Either way Josh looks to be at a weight where heís happy and playing good rugby ... canít complain and Iím sure Bath staff and fans arenít either!

Mrs collared me about my weight after I enquired about her opinion on me going for the old mullet as some of my mates had went for some lockdown haircuts. Her words are too graphic for this public forum.

AFalcon24 12 September, 2020 12:00
Definitely looks like he has put some timber on again, was a fan of him when he played for us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net