Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falcons’ promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
new scrum half
Discussion started by wurzelfalcon , 16 September, 2020 10:12
new scrum half
wurzelfalcon 16 September, 2020 10:12
Just announced.....cant say I know much about him but decent enough pedigree.

Re: new scrum half
FalcDancer 16 September, 2020 10:27
Snap!
I don’t know anything about him other than what you can find on Wikipedia
However his CV is a good one

Andy Mac 16 September, 2020 10:53
I was in the gang that felt a new 9 would be a good move, so pleased with this one. Good pedigree and known by Easter so hopefully a good player.

Welcome to KP!

GeordieFalcon 16 September, 2020 10:55
Ok looks like hes a good player which i welcome....BUT...

Whats the point in having an academy?? Kelemeti, and Pasoce ready for gametime...and now we have 3 scrum hlaves who will take all the gametime. Maybe Stuart should have been released.

Welcome to the falcons Louis but I dont quite get this one.

matt1il 16 September, 2020 11:10
The gap between Tane and Young and the rest last season was too great I always felt this was a position we'd be light in.

Now can he box kick?

Exiled Falcon 16 September, 2020 11:10
Apart from maybe not necessarily wanting Stuart dispatched kind of agree with all you’ve said Geordie. I’d hoped to see the two young guys get a good run out too this season, still think they were sorely underused last season.

I guess at the end of the day the new fellow is an improvement (presumably, going by his record) on our current batch of SHs so you can never complain when the squad is improved.

Rogerandout 16 September, 2020 11:15
I think we needed a first choice scrum half so happy with him. From what we know he is up to the job. I do also get the point about how many we have in each individual position.
My guess would be two for each position in the First team squad with a few players with a bit of versatility and then straight into the academy.
As you say that means we have a total of 5 scrum halves which does appear to be overkill. Takalua was every one’s favourite and others have had a hard time on here but players play to plans so it may not be entirely fair to criticise some performances.
Let us hope that we have a slightly less negative game plan going forward.
The dark nights are drawing in. The Covid death rate is remaining encouragingly low. Let’s hope we are all soon back at KP watching the Falcons in the Premiership.

GeordieFalcon 16 September, 2020 11:22
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Apart from maybe not necessarily wanting Stuart dispatched kind of agree with all you’ve said Geordie. I’d hoped to see the two young guys get a good run out too this season, still think they were sorely underused last season.
I guess at the end of the day the new fellow is an improvement (presumably, going by his record) on our current batch of SHs so you can never complain when the squad is improved.

Oh completely agre improving the side is the critical part. I will never complain at that.. but i just question it when we have lads ready to go who look like genuine quality.

And to be honest his highlights real is nothing that i havent seen Michael Young do consistently.....when he is released from his ball and chain tactics.

RiponFalcon 16 September, 2020 11:25
Personally I didn’t want someone to compete for the 9 shirt. Either someone who would start or give the kids a chance. He looks like a starter but like most I am going on google and wiki information rather than knowledge.
You get 2 scrum half’s on the pitch in most games so still plenty of game time likely for the youngsters even before accounting for injuries

NorfolkFalcon 16 September, 2020 11:36
Good move. We needed another scrum half to feel Takelua’s void.

Just full back and I think we are good to go.

AFalcon24 16 September, 2020 11:39
He has plenty of Super Rugby experience plus he is a pretty tall scrum half at around 6'1.

Exiled Falcon 16 September, 2020 11:40
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Quote:
Exiled Falcon

Oh completely agre improving the side is the critical part. I will never complain at that.. but i just question it when we have lads ready to go who look like genuine quality. .

That’s maybe the disappointment, the two young boys come with pretty good reputations and are around 19-20 so good age to be let loose. Harry Randall is only a couple of years older yet seems like a seasoned pro now, what happens when you have confidence in youth.

GeordieFalcon 16 September, 2020 11:43
Exactly EF.

Dean seems happy to back young forwards, but less so young backs.

Exiled Falcon 16 September, 2020 11:51
Very true Geordie, certainly can’t complain at his blooding young forwards.

Monkey1 16 September, 2020 11:54
For anybody like me who has been busy this morning then come on here & hasn't a clue what this is all about:

Springbok Louis Schreuder bolsters scrum-half pool
Offy.

pityacker 16 September, 2020 12:01
Could be a great signing personally delighted , welcome to KP Louis.

aidanb 16 September, 2020 12:04
We use 2 scrum Half’s per game so there should be plenty of work for all of our 9’s.

It does seem to be an attritional position due to the close proximity and regularity of forward collisions.

I am over the moon with another absolutely positive sign that there are legs in this club yet.

Thanks Seymour.

Exiled Falcon 16 September, 2020 12:09
That is very true, irrespective of the arguments regarding young players, we have signed an Argentinian and Italian, both internationals, plus an experienced Safrican, the reports of a few months ago that we on our last legs have proved to be spectacularly wide of the mark.

wurzelfalcon 16 September, 2020 12:13
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
Good move. We needed another scrum half to feel Takelua’s void.
Just full back and I think we are good to go.

What about props ?.....hopelessly light in that department, Some just not Premiership standard and which of the more experienced guys can regularly give 60 mins ? I think the squad overall isn't too bad but once again we may struggle at the set piece. In our relegation season our scrum was awful, easy penalties for the opposition...…….and don't get me started on the lineout.....

Brontosaurus 16 September, 2020 12:23
I have a friend from Cape Town who says he was pretty polarising at Stormers. Very adaptable but not great kicking game, interested to see how he gets on.

CharlieDog 16 September, 2020 12:25
Potentially a great addition and I will always be excited about that, especially if he turns out to be another FdK type (albeit somewhat larger!)

However, I was in the camp that felt we had enough potential @ SH and wanted to see more of the youngsters given a chance, so I have reservations we may lose more exciting options coming through. Also with limited funds I would prefer to see another FB, even as back up, as we are quite light here - I do feel Arscott and Taity are good enough to be first choices.

Maybe Semore has won the Euromillions..........

This shouldn't be seen as negative, when a player with international experience comes in - just pragmatic in the circumstances

dick g 16 September, 2020 19:38
It is significant that Nick Easter worked with the latest signing in SA. I can't imagine that Deano would have signed him up without advice from Egg. (That's my nickname for Nick E.)

markismith50 16 September, 2020 20:11
I believe Easter’s nickname is ‘Minty’.

Presumably an Eastenders reference.

Leipziger 16 September, 2020 20:16
Like others I don't know anything about this guy but all the signals sound good, and South Africa don't pick bad players so hopefully he'll do well with us.

aidanb 16 September, 2020 20:44
quote dick g]It is significant that Nick Easter worked with the latest signing in SA. I can't imagine that Deano would have signed him up without advice from Egg. (That's my nickname for Nick E.)[/quote]

[quote markismith50]I believe Easter’s nickname is ‘Minty’.

Presumably an Eastenders reference.[/quote]

Minty is well known but Egg can be our nickname for him.

He’s been crowned by South Stand royalty you know.

Oneforthefatboys 17 September, 2020 06:49
A good signing with leadership qualities also. When we went down we lost quite a few leaders and he will add to the pool. De Walt has also captained teams.

It’s looking like

Lugo
McGuigan
Ah you
Fuser
Robinson
Wilson
Welch
De Walt
Schreuder
Flood
Sinoti
Lucock
Orlando
Radwan
I d love a new full back

GeordieFalcon 17 September, 2020 08:30
Quote:
Oneforthefatboys
A good signing with leadership qualities also. When we went down we lost quite a few leaders and he will add to the pool. De Walt has also captained teams.
It’s looking like

Lugo
McGuigan
Ah you
Fuser
Robinson
Wilson
WelchGraham
De Walt
Schreuder
FloodConnon
Sinoti
Lucock
Orlando
Radwan
I d love a new full back

Fixed that for you grinning smiley

Genuinely i will despair if Flood is the starting first choice 10 this season.

Barry555 17 September, 2020 09:04
If we were going to sign another 9 it had to be in the mould of an experienced 9 and this is it. So happy with it.

From highlight reel doesn’t look like he’ll be the set the world alight type that Faf de Klerk is but instead looks to be a good distributor and able to bring others in the game with half breaks. I think could be a very good fit for us so look forward to seeing him in a falcons jersey.

GeordieFalcon 17 September, 2020 09:24
Quick ball is all well and good as long as the rest of the team is set up to play that way and train that way.

We have signed a few players who seem to have some intelligence and work at pace (and good lines / support) ...maybe my wishes will come true.

Monkey1 17 September, 2020 12:36
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
.....the reports of a few months ago that we on our last legs have proved to be spectacularly wide of the mark.

Semore has said umpteen times that he wants the club to be sustainable, to survive without somebody like him propping it up. Putting the whole club into complete lockdown fits with this philosophy. Nobody knew what the future would be, indeed we still don't, so playing it cautious to keep the club viable makes sense. I would rather have that approach than finding out half way through next season that we have run out of cash.

Having the club still just ticking over while making good signings suggests that this policy is working.

Rogerandout 17 September, 2020 12:48
Whenever teams are picked on this forum the new signings walk into the team and the homegrown talent is ignored.
Last year we have seen the emergence of Blamire, Chick has played more and Wakakeoke and Stevenson have taken their chances.
Looking at the selected teams there is no sign of any of them. If you get your chance and take it you should expect someone else to have to take the jersey from you. We go on about giving homegrown talent a chance and the say we wouldn’t pick them.
I have absolute faith in them.I couldn’t possibly pick Sinoti now as he hasn’t been scoring tries for 2 years whilst those given the chance have done so. I like the look of Van de Walt very much but Chick was an England 20s captain and must be 23/24 by now.
Surely after 8 years or so in our academy and the squad he is the real deal.
Lucock has been at Doncaster and was injured for a lot of last year, how can he be a nailed on starter over Wakakeoke and Stevenson.
Sorry rant over, it hasn’t been a good day so far!

GeordieFalcon 17 September, 2020 13:32
Roger and Out,

Quote:
Whenever teams are picked on this forum the new signings walk into the team and the homegrown talent is ignored.
Some people do, others dont. This forum has a good mix of people with different opinions, and thats healthy. Also, people list the absolute first choice selection, that doesnt mean that others dont play as the first choice 15 very rarely plays.

Quote:
Last year we have seen the emergence of Blamire, Chick has played more and Wakakeoke and Stevenson have taken their chances.
Blamire, Wakecoke and Chick had two of the highest games played last season..Blamire was the highest i think with 18, and Chick on 17. They will get plenty of games next season.

Quote:
Looking at the selected teams there is no sign of any of them. If you get your chance and take it you should expect someone else to have to take the jersey from you. We go on about giving homegrown talent a chance and the say we wouldn’t pick them.
Most people do pick the lads, but in the likes of Chicks case..he's up against a stable of back rowers that the top 4 sides would be happy with. Would he be your first choice starter over, Graham, Wilson, Welch, De Walt? I dont think so. Nevertheless he will play lots of games.

Quote:
I have absolute faith in them.I couldn’t possibly pick Sinoti now as he hasn’t been scoring tries for 2 years whilst those given the chance have done so. I like the look of Van de Walt very much but Chick was an England 20s captain and must be 23/24 by now.
Surely after 8 years or so in our academy and the squad he is the real deal.
I feel sorry for Sinoti. For years hes had to sit out on the wing with no service and churn out magic after magic. And when that magic is starting to go due to age, he's slated for not scoring tries. So unfair. The whole attacking set up needs radically overhauled!

As for Chick...see above. We all ahave faith in the kids, but the jump between prem and Champs is massive. We have a decent bit of top flight experience to help the younger guys out.

Quote:
Lucock has been at Doncaster and was injured for a lot of last year, how can he be a nailed on starter over Wakakeoke and Stevenson.
People have listed starting 15's not season 15's. The midfield will be rotated substantially. Waceoke and Stevenson were great last season, and they will get lots of gametime.

Quote:
Sorry rant over, it hasn’t been a good day so far!
Hope your day gets better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/09/2020 13:34 by GeordieFalcon.

dick g 17 September, 2020 14:01
Quote:
markismith50
I believe Easter’s nickname is ‘Minty’.
Presumably an Eastenders reference.

Split the difference. Minty Egg?

matt1il 17 September, 2020 16:15
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
I feel sorry for Sinoti. For years hes had to sit out on the wing with no service and churn out magic after magic. And when that magic is starting to go due to age, he's slated for not scoring tries. So unfair. The whole attacking set up needs radically overhauled!

I don't think anyone is slating him, but it's also fair enough to say that as a winger age is not on his side and him being first choice (with Radwan) should be a worry going into a new season, not the biggest worry but at least something to hope he has one last good season in him or someone is ready to take his shirt off him, be it Vuna or a youngster.

AFalcon24 17 September, 2020 16:51
Can Easter recommend some big South African prop from the Sharks for us.

Exiled Falcon 17 September, 2020 22:31
Roger is actually spot on, we do indeed bemoan the at times lack of opportunity for homegrown talent but no one ever includes any nippers in their preferred XV.

AFalcon, wouldn’t it be great to just trust what we have without yet another non EQP coming into the league?

CharlieDog 17 September, 2020 23:41
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Roger is actually spot on, we do indeed bemoan the at times lack of opportunity for homegrown talent but no one ever includes any nippers in their preferred XV.
AFalcon, wouldn’t it be great to just trust what we have without yet another non EQP coming into the league?

100% x2

GeordieFalcon 18 September, 2020 09:25
Quote:
matt1il
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

I don't think anyone is slating him, but it's also fair enough to say that as a winger age is not on his side and him being first choice (with Radwan) should be a worry going into a new season, not the biggest worry but at least something to hope he has one last good season in him or someone is ready to take his shirt off him, be it Vuna or a youngster.

I agree Sinotis time is limited now. Radwan, Stevenson, Vuna, Passman are all we have really.

GeordieFalcon 18 September, 2020 09:44
Quote:
Exiled Falcon

I agree, and disagree.

I have been very vocal on here about the scrum half situation. i dont believe we need another, when we have options from the academy.

But Chick is a different situation.
He was coming through with Wilson, Latu, Hogg and Welch as our backrowers. He would not be listed in a "first choice 15"He's learned from them.

We've since lost Latu, gained Gary Graham. Would i list Chick as one of the starters in that back row stable...no. He's still got 17 appearances last season - second highest i believe, and i fully expect him to be up there again this season.

We have a host of kids coming through who i have no doubt, will begin to be selected in the "first choice" 15, but at the moment, few do meet that...however its a squad game, the "first Choice 15" very rarely has an outing. Blamire, Chick, Radwan, Wakecoke, Stevenson will all get lots of gametime.

Thats why i was confused when we signed another Scrum half...as we already have 2 seniors, and i thought Kelemeti and Pasco behind that offers a great balance of 4 scrum halves.

Barry555 18 September, 2020 10:15
You’d have thought chick is ahead of VDW.

VDW spent most of this time injured with glimpses of a good player. It’s down to him to get over his injuries(this extended break would have helped) and earn a spot.

But again Chick has to do the same ... new season fresh slate etc. Players have to earn their spots.

GeordieFalcon 18 September, 2020 10:44
VDW is a big hard carrying, mobile 8. i think he's ahead of Chick in that regards on paper.

Clearly Chick played a huge amount of rugby last season alongside Blamire and Wakecoke

Barry555 18 September, 2020 11:07
Mermoz on paper was better then any centre we had at the time and look how that turned out...

VDW has shown glimpses of what he can do but when it comes to performing on the field “on paper” is irrelevant.

I do have hopes for him though , what he shown last season is promising. But if you were picking on last season form you’d have Chick in there any day of the week.

aidanb 18 September, 2020 11:19
Calum Chick is a quality back row who has worked hard to get in amongst the likes of Wilson etc.

He gets enough game time because he deserves it.

We need to recognise his quality in much the same was as Richard Arnold showed the Falcons Globetrotters that they needed to be on their mettle to get past him.

GeordieFalcon 18 September, 2020 11:47
Aw im not doubting his quality, im merely responding to the fact when people ask for your top 15 pick none of our youngsters are on it.

At the moment few are...but its irrelevant as its a squad game these days...

RiponFalcon 18 September, 2020 11:50
The issue in this or any season will not be the strength of our first 15 but the strength of the second 15 and the number of times we need to use the third or even fourth 15 players
In the relegation season some of the first 15 did not perform at the same standard as the previous season and we had lots of injuries.
There are some areas of the team where people outside of first choice are easily capable of doing a job. My own second choice back row of Welch Hardie and Chick would cope fine even as a unit. Other areas I would not be so confident but we could be lucky with form and injuries. Sadly we cannot afford to pay for expensive 3rd or 4th choice players so will potentially need some youngsters to step up
I would expect most of the talented youngsters to get decent game time with the possible exception of the back row

GeordieFalcon 18 September, 2020 11:59
Yeah your absolutely right RF

Barry555 18 September, 2020 12:40
I’m hoping this extended period of rest have given the lads that have niggles that flare up during the season and turn into big issues because they’ve not had time to sort them out will be raring to go.

Competition will drive standards and as rightly put will mean players stepping in can take over and even add more to the team.

I’m really looking forward to seeing what these lads will be able to churn out on the pitch.

Kingkiko2 18 September, 2020 21:40
Personally I’d like Nagusa at 8

AFalcon24 19 September, 2020 08:44
Quote:
Exiled Falcon

AFalcon24 19 September, 2020 08:45
Quote:
Exiled Falcon

Yeah good point there agreed, bet we have some good props in the academy.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net