Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Luther Burrell
Discussion started by DocA27 , 19 September, 2020 21:15
Luther Burrell
DocA27 19 September, 2020 21:15
Being reported that he has signed for us. Thatís an unexpected one!

(Yes I know reports, rumours etc. Nothing is official until Smithy announces it!)

Re: Luther Burrell
FalcDancer 19 September, 2020 21:30
I posted this in the squad thread. Mail on Sunday running the story

As long as it doesnít take investment away from other areas of the squad (I would prefer we signed a full back) I am happy with Burrell

Another option at centre, experienced quality player

RiponFalcon 19 September, 2020 21:39
There are arguments that money may be better invested elsewhere but we donít know the deal and he sounds like he just wants to play. No argument that he is a decent player and will strengthen our squad

mr cheese 20 September, 2020 06:56
injury prone and past it WE NEED PROPS

FalcDancer 20 September, 2020 07:43
Do we need props?

We havenít got confirmation yet but if we have the same props as last season is there space for anymore ? With Logo covering both LH and TH do you need more than 10 props?

LH - Lockwood, Brocklebank, Davison, Brantingham, Cade
TH - Welsh, Ah You, Tampin, Mulipola, Caudle

And Daniels might be staying on yet we donít know

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2020 07:49 by FalcDancer.

NorfolkFalcon 20 September, 2020 07:46
Full back is still required.

Weíve got great centre options especially if we bring in Luther.

stuart66 20 September, 2020 07:57
falcdancer at th walsh is at an unkown status with injury ah you is great but minor injury prone. with missing the last season and a half with illness ((only got to 2 games last season) don't know about tampin And mulipola has been mostly disappointing for us. lh is adequate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2020 08:00 by stuart66.

FalcDancer 20 September, 2020 08:02
Quote:
stuart66
falcdancer at th walsh is at an unkown status with injury ah you is great but minor injury prone. with missing the last season and a half with illness ((only got to 2 games last season) don't know about tampin And mulipola has been mostly disappointing for us. lh is adequate

You may well but right but if those players are all still under contract can the club carry them and add additional props to the books?

stuart66 20 September, 2020 08:06
don't know but did we need as many centers on the books? I was hopeing mulipola was not comeing back from glouster which would have made room for another prop

Rogerandout 20 September, 2020 08:29
Exactly the type of signing we donít need, we are constantly signing centres whilst the glaring hole in the squad is with props.

DocA27 20 September, 2020 08:57
To be fair, Iím not against it as we did need a 12. Wacokecoke and Orlando are both 13ís. Lucock has potential but never played at Prem level. And Iím not confident in Flood or Owen playing 12 at premiership level.

Finish off recruitment with a prop and a FB and weíll be good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2020 09:05 by DocA27.

The Boyfriend 20 September, 2020 09:07
Now confirmed by the club.

GeordieFalcon 20 September, 2020 09:08
Dont get this one at all...waate of salary cap elsewhere

steve1888 20 September, 2020 09:14
I actually think this is a really good signing. An excellent 12 and proven in Premiership rugby. Different style player to our other options so gives a good mix.

Well done!

Andy Mac 20 September, 2020 09:15
Great signing for me. Bags of experience to help the youngsters develop. A hard running 12 who can play a bit of ball.

Welcome to KP!

DocA27 20 September, 2020 09:24
Logo/Lockwood
McG/Blamire/Cooper
Ah You/?
Robinson/Montgomery
Fuser/Peterson
Wilson/Welch
Hardie/Graham
De Walt/Chick

Shroeder/Cam N-K
Connon/Flood

Radwan/Stevenson
Burrell/Lucock
Wacokecoke/Orlando
Sinoti
Arscott

Iíd say thatís a good starting line up with some good depth in some positions. Back 3 and prop need some strengthening and then weíre ready.

Exiled Falcon 20 September, 2020 09:25
May sound contrary but I also think this is a really good signing. Obviously hungry to get back into Union and a proven top player. Squad looking pretty good now.

Falconsfan93 20 September, 2020 09:28
Nothing but positives from me, hold my hands up and admit I was more than critical a few months back but weíve made some excellent signings! Orlando Argentinian international in his peak years! Burrell whoís came back into union leaner and fitter and with a big appetite to prove people heís not finished. Iíve always rated Burrell to be fair. Add that in with Connon who should be starting 10 Schreuder who looks like he could be an extremely shrewd signing and then Radwan one wing and sinoti sinoti the other thatís amazing extremely good back line for me. Add to the fact weíve been linked with Tuculet at fullback this could be a fantastic season after all my doom and gloom im genuinely looking forward to November now!

aidanb 20 September, 2020 09:31
Quote:
Andy Mac
Great signing for me. Bags of experience to help the youngsters develop. A hard running 12 who can play a bit of ball.
Welcome to KP!

This

Barry555 20 September, 2020 09:33
Sign a former England international with still plenty to offer and people still whinge. I donít get it. Weeks ago people were crying that we didnít have a squad and then cry when we make international standard signings which as a newly promoted team we can not turn down.

Yes we probably still need a 15 but perhaps there ainít anyone available currently that would enhance the 15 options we currently have.

Iím sure this was a chance signing that came across Deanís desk and heís went for it.

Iíd imagine if a 15 comes available that improves the current crop then weíd be in for him.

Rogerandout 20 September, 2020 09:34
Wakakeoke and Stevenson were given a chance last year and took it in the centres. Since then we have signed Lucock, Orlandi, Penny and Burrell. We already had Owen who wasnít played much.
By my reckoning that is 7 centres for 2 positions in the first team squad. Vuna and Flood have also played in the centres at international level. So I am now counting 9 first team squad members who can play in the centres.
Unless we can compete in the scrum we will lose games. Frankly the recruitment policy seems utterly bizarre to me.
That isnít to deride Burrell he was a decent player a few years ago but given our squad I am no longer seeing any logic.

GeordieFalcon 20 September, 2020 09:40
With ya there Roger...

Barry555 20 September, 2020 09:46
Flood wouldnít be playing much and will probably stay at 10 with what weíve got. Vuna wonít be at 13 heíll be on the wing so that rules out 2. Wouldnít say Stevenson took his chance tbh. Then that means 2 start , probably one on the bench then have to take into consideration injuries too. Itís a healthy stock of centres.

Ever thought that the club have tried to sign props to enhance our stock but theyíve decided to sign elsewhere. They are like gold dust. Plus few of our props havenít been given a chance at Prem level plus we have youngsters coming through...

I doubt Burrell would be on the amount of money people think heíll be on. Most clubs have done their business in cost cutting and staying under the cap. Falcons was probably one of the only Prem teams to actually have the ability to sign him.

limpopo 20 September, 2020 10:05
One thing is an absolute dead cert and that is that whatever the club does, there will always be an element of dissatisfaction, usually from the same quarters.

AFalcon24 20 September, 2020 10:07
Still 50/50 about this if u am honest , but not complaining a big strong athletic centre.

Hampshire.Falcon 20 September, 2020 10:41
Good signing. I think he will have had limited options and would not be surprised if he was on a pay if you play deal.

dick g 20 September, 2020 10:44
I won't crticise Deano so long as he doesn't make snide remarks about my toy soldier collection. He knows more about rugby and I know more about a century of William Britain's soldiers. Seriously, though, Deano is hardly likely to spend SK's dosh without considerable thought.

matt1il 20 September, 2020 10:49
If our first choice centres are Orlandi & Burrell and they perform to their best I certainly won't be complaining! I think a few remember the Mermoz signing which puts us off but Burrell is wanting to prove something let's let him before slagging him off for **** sake!

I'd rather we'd have signed a former English FB but this can't be complained about really! There's 2 months to get in further players and this has shown we don't know what can come, 2 weeks ago Luther wasn't even playing the right sport!

Also think how good he could be for the new guy (Stephens) from Rhinos to learn from!

And someone mentions the salary cap, the only cap we work within is the Falcons' own self-determined one.

wurzelfalcon 20 September, 2020 12:25
Quote:
Rogerandout
Exactly the type of signing we donít need, we are constantly signing centres whilst the glaring hole in the squad is with props.

exactly

wurzelfalcon 20 September, 2020 12:28
Quote:
FalcDancer
Do we need props?
We havenít got confirmation yet but if we have the same props as last season is there space for anymore ? With Logo covering both LH and TH do you need more than 10 props?

Some of the above are merely names, not good enough, the others cant be relied upon to go the distance, Welsh is a good prop but your more likely to see a unicorn in the front row

CharlieDog 20 September, 2020 12:34
Quote:
wurzelfalcon
Quote:
Rogerandout

exactly

Whilst I kind of see where you are coming from, we don't know the detail of the deal - it might be mutually beneficial?

Also we can't just say we will only sign props - if there are none suitable available, does that mean we sign no one irrespective of their ability?

I admit I am surprised with this signing, but he does have experience and if it doesn't hamper the younger players development and is good value for money, I'm not going to argue

Exiled Falcon 20 September, 2020 12:43
I can understand the groans about this signing but when someone of Lutherís quality and experience comes available I donít think we can afford to let the opportunity pass us by. Thereís also nothing to say that his signing is instead of a prop (do we really need one?) or a full back, itís maybe simply an opportunity that is too good to let go came up.

FalcDancer 20 September, 2020 13:40
Quote:
wurzelfalcon
Quote:
FalcDancer
Do we need props?

Some of the above are merely names, not good enough, the others cant be relied upon to go the distance, Welsh is a good prop but your more likely to see a unicorn in the front row

Again you may be right but can you honestly see the club bringing on props when on paper we clearly have enough cover?
Itís not a discussion of quality unless some leaves and creates a space for an incoming player

Hampshire.Falcon 20 September, 2020 14:02
Are we really any weaker in the front row than when we came 4th?

Leipziger 20 September, 2020 14:05
Quote:
Andy Mac
Welcome to KP!

Agree with your thoughts Andy Mac. Good player with Premiership experience who will improve our team immediately but also help young players. Also, although Burrell might not be cheap, if he isn't then it suggests the club are in an alright financial position.

DocA27 20 September, 2020 14:11
You can guarantee if we hadn't signed him some people on this board would be moaning that we didn't go for him. You can never win with everyone.

I agree that we need upgrades at prop- but that may be in the works.

Part of what killed us last season in the Prem was we got injuries and then had no one to cover. Now I'd say we have decent depth at Hooker, 2nd Row, Back Row, 9, 10, Centres and Wing.
Add a starting TH prop and the Tuculet rumour being true and we'll be there.

toastie1 20 September, 2020 14:39
We've got a starting TH in Ah You and a starting LH in Mulipola . With more than adequate back-up.

Kingkiko2 20 September, 2020 14:59
I think could be a great signing from some of the stuff Iíve read!

Re: props, I think they get a bit of a raw deal on here. For anyone thatís actually played a decent standard will know a key part of scrummaging is the effort the 2nd row put in, especially on TH side. Generally the better in the loose the weaker in the scrum. To a lesser degree Iíd say same about back row, you stick 3 x 7s on and you know it! Itís a balancing act but something you have to consider when making assumptions. To that degree for me Iíd look at 2nd row before the front. Also worth considering weíve had injuries etc - Davison did ok at TH when he initially came on scene, imagine what he can do on LH for example. Also letís see what happens to Welsh. All these guys fit will allow us to keep them fresh too & have competition for places.

All in all squad looks ok, could it be better - yes, but then thatís always the case.

Barry555 20 September, 2020 15:17
FALCONS ANNOUNCE THE SIGNING OF THE BARRETT BROTHERS.

Falcons message board - ďnot really happy with this as we need at least a decent prop. Donít see the logicĒ

Even good solid Props will be on bumper deals at clubs and any that come up will be highly fought over. Could we do with some more bodies there? Probably. Front row of Mulipola , Ah You and a selection from our excellent crop of Hookers weíve got a decent front row.

lizard118 20 September, 2020 16:17
I hoped we'd look at him when he left the Wolves. I think this is another excellent acquisition by the club, imo. He did take a few hits in his final season at the Saints, but he didn't play much last season and seems fresher for it. I think he's still hungry and wants to prove himself again. He will also give us go forward in midfield. I have no complaints.

Rafpilot2000 20 September, 2020 19:16
Lots of doom and gloom merchants . Given the current financial situation and everything else I think it's fantastic that the club are able to attract individuals with his pedigree to come and pull on a black shirt. It's clear we can't afford the mega stars but a proven Ex international coming to our club can only be a positive.
Nice one falcons

Osric 20 September, 2020 20:50
Agree. I'm delighted with this one. Welcome. I'm sure he'll be an excellent addition.

steve1888 20 September, 2020 21:05
I dont think we're that weak at FB, Arscott looked back to his best, we have Alex Tait who rarely has a bad game with Owen and Connon also able the play there.

Meb4568 20 September, 2020 21:49
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
Lots of doom and gloom merchants . Given the current financial situation and everything else I think it's fantastic that the club are able to attract individuals with his pedigree to come and pull on a black shirt. It's clear we can't afford the mega stars but a proven Ex international coming to our club can only be a positive.
Nice one falcons

Completely agree. Great result and positive message of intent to some of our likely foes in the lower half of the table.
What's the plan with Flood? Surely no longer a starting contender....

Bedlington Lad 21 September, 2020 07:47
I've always really rated him and I think he'll be a real asset. International quality, bags of prem experience.

GeordieFalcon 21 September, 2020 08:41
I dont think people are doom and gloom merchants, we are all falcons through and through and want to see the club doing well.

The irony is that people are not questioning the signing, because they want a big name expensive superstar...its because we have a group that did well last season and deserve to be given the chance to show they can do it in the prem. We have also already had Orlando, Lucock brought in and Penny returning.

We are aware of the clubs finances and want it used as best possible. Burrell at his prime was a big powerful force at 12. I can only assume he was fairly cheap but, If he can perform the same at 33 now, then he will be an assett and has one thing over the others (except Penny) and thats Prem experience. I just hope its not at the expense of the two lads Wakecoke and Stevenson who played well last season.

I look forward to seeing how Dean will juggle all these centres into two spots....

Orlando
Lucock
Burrell
Owens
Wakecoke
Stevenson
Penny
Toby Flood - Arguably looked far more effective at 12 than 10 with his pace dwindling and unimaginitive play from 10.

Others
Cooper Vuna - Played a lot of international rugby for Tonga at centre
Joel Matavesi - Not likely to see much gametime
Chidera Obonna (Academy)

As to the full back debate:
Alex Tait has been one of my favorite falcons for a long time, but now...he's as slow as Toby Flood. And he certainly should not be considered on the wing!
That leaves us with Arscott, and an 18 year old recruit from League. A talented lad by all accounts but unlikely to play much this season.

Leipziger 21 September, 2020 09:46

If (it's a big if of course for Welsh, but the fact that he's stayed with us is encouraging) Welsh and Ah You can stay fit, I think we're OK for props. Logo and Welsh first choice for me, then Lockwood and Ah You on the bench, is fine. Brocklebank/Davison and Tampin after that may not be world-beaters but they are competent and frankly, we're not getting anyone better as third-choice.

AFalcon24 21 September, 2020 09:46
It worries me the people who are saying we don't need a fullback, in my opinion we definitely need to sign a quality fullback.

Exiled Falcon 21 September, 2020 10:59
Quote:
Leipziger

If (it's a big if of course for Welsh, but the fact that he's stayed with us is encouraging) Welsh and Ah You can stay fit, I think we're OK for props. Logo and Welsh first choice for me, then Lockwood and Ah You on the bench,

Admire your confidence that weíll see Welsh in a Falcons shirt again. Donít want to dredge up the old communication debate but the guy has been injured / unavailable for around two years now and as far as I can recall we havenít had one snippet from the club. I know we have no divine right to be informed however itís a bit of a shame when a player is bacially wiped from the bulletin board, so to speak.

Cantabrian 21 September, 2020 11:01
Schreuder and now Burrell. I really like both these signings each bringing quality and experience. The way our senior squad is coming together blending young talent with tough-as-teak quality experience, we are going to be one tough outfit to beat .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net