Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Captain Mark Wilson - has been named in England's training squad as they prepare for the upcoming autumn tests.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Season 2020-2021
Discussion started by Robs , 07 October, 2020 19:54
Season 2020-2021
Robs 07 October, 2020 19:54
Sale's plight this season has made think about next season. Should the pandemic still be around when the new season starts (imho extremely likely), is it fair that a team could be relegated through little fault of their own? As that's quite possible should Prem Rugby announce at the beginning of the season that there will be no relegation. Ignore the debate about ring fencing albeit that it may be the perfect opportunity. Obviously there could be a suggestion that the same could well happen in the Championship both at the bottom and top of the League
Thoughts ?

Re: Season 2020-2021
Monkey1 07 October, 2020 21:26
On a purely pragmatic point, I think relegation has to end, and much as I take comfort in Sarries being relegated after what they have done, I seriously think it should begin with immediate effect.

Within just a few months, the Championship has been transformed (due to an almost complete removal of their entire income) from a semi-professional league to amateur. The players simply cannot train full-time to anything like the standards that any of the Premiership teams experience. If the gulf between the two leagues has expanded over the last decade to something that is almost impossible to bridge, it has now become downright dangerous.

Do we now have to wait until a player is seriously injured or even killed before the people who are supposed to manage the game on our behalf wake up and accept that you cannot have the sort of players that Sarries will take to the Championship next season, smashing into amateur players who are inadequately prepared to deal with such encounters in an equal and safe manner.

This has now gone way beyond fanciful discussions about the benefits or otherwise of relegation & promotion as some sort of idealistic concept, it now comes down to player welfare. Putting amateur and unprepared players onto the same pitch as big & powerful players of peak power & fitness for competitive games is dangerous to the point of being negligent.

A tramp abroad 08 October, 2020 06:55
Quote:
Monkey1
Putting amateur and unprepared players onto the same pitch as big & powerful players of peak power & fitness for competitive games is dangerous to the point of being negligent.

Agree 100%

markismith50 08 October, 2020 07:19
Any decision would have to be voted through by the RFU Council, so unfortunately itís not PRLís call to make.

Exiled Falcon 08 October, 2020 08:12
Valid point to an extent but I bet not one of these Ďamateur or unpreparedí players doesnít want to put themselves up against Sarries players. (Or Tigers players if Sarries hadnít been naughty) Possible once in a lifetime opportunity. Plus havenít Exeter been putting out some Exeter Uni players this season against other teams, same scenario really. If the doomsday scenario painted of the Championship is as put here then in reality there is little point in its existence.

Leipziger 08 October, 2020 08:43
If it were really so dangerous for Premiership and Championship teams to play each other that a player could actually be killed, then I expect there wouldn't be pre-season friendlies of this nature e.g. our doubleheader against Ealing coming up. And there are plenty of serious injuries within the Premiership, a few years ago there was a statistic that at any one time 25% of Premiership players were unavailable through injury.

Of course the reduction in Championship funding and any resulting reduction in player fitness in that league could have an effect in the future.

In any event, ringfencing is surely coming, for better or worse.

Barry555 08 October, 2020 12:00
And for those saying about ring fencing will end meaningful games.

Some of the best games have been near the bottom even with Saracens confirmed as relegated. And people been banging on about how good the race for top 4 this season has been. Albeit I do feel bad for Saleís players.

Ring fencing wonít end good games. Clubs need security even more so now.

Robs 08 October, 2020 13:03
My question was more about what should happen if Covid relegates a team
Try & ignore the Ring fencing issue and imagine the Championship being a fully competitive professional League
Then ask yourself if it would be fair to relegate any Prem team if Covid measures were partially responsible for that team being bottom of the League

Exiled Falcon 08 October, 2020 13:34
I suppose you could argue Covid prevented Sale from possibly getting to the final and being outright winners, same kind of idea and appalling luck. You could turn the argument on its head though Robs and say what happens in the scenario you mention if the bottom club had absolutely no covid related issues and they have been artificially saved. Imagine if Leicester were this rubbish again but yet again weíre saved.

Half agree and half disagree Barry. There have been quite a few mismatches since we started up again and Iím not sure how long the paying public would want to pay to, say, watch Exeter send up their third team for example. That said, personally Iíve really enjoyed it since it started again. The midweek games have broken the week up and a load of nippers have got game time that they probably wouldnít have before.

Robs 08 October, 2020 20:31
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
I You could turn the argument on its head though Robs and say what happens in the scenario you mention if the bottom club had absolutely no covid related issues and they have been artificially saved. Imagine if Leicester were this rubbish again but yet again weíre saved.

So maybe the rules should be amended to allow for the possibility of Covid influenced relegation and the scenario you suggest
i.e. no relegation if influenced by Covid
Or relegation if not influenced
-just trying to pre empty queries about changing the rules at the end of the season

Barry555 08 October, 2020 20:51
Covid has messed up pretty much everything.

What Iím saying is fact Sarries has been relegated for large part of the season hasnít taken away from teams going for top 4 etc. Covid has messed things up game wise not the relegation.

Pre covid string case for ringfencing. Covid ongoing and in the future even stronger case. On the grounds of the games sustainability and the product itself wonít be worse off

RiponFalcon 08 October, 2020 20:52
Sale have clearly been deprived of a playoff spot this season due to Covid Sadly it is going to be a case of take your chances and good luck at best
I have never been a fan of ring fencing but have long since accepted it is the only viable option

Barry555 08 October, 2020 20:57
I feel really bad for Sale and itís fans. The top 4 would be better games with Sale in there. It is what it is though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2020 21:11 by Barry555.

Exiled Falcon 08 October, 2020 20:58
Your point is valid mind you Robs, imagine how unlucky it would be to get relegated on the back of Covid induced issues.

I guess all they can do is get agreements from clubs at the beginning of the season that the table after all games stands, whether it is Covid influenced or not. Whatever happens, the agreements at the beginning of the season canít be changed at the end of it mind you, and it would maybe be a good idea to publish them.

Exiled Falcon 08 October, 2020 21:03
Quote:
Barry555
I feel really bad for Sale and itís fans. The top 4 will be better games with Sale in there. It is what it is though.

Agree, just one more casualty of this whole miserable situation. Personally would now love a Bath v Wasps final but wouldnít be surprised if neither makes it.

CharlieDog 08 October, 2020 21:59
Quote:
RiponFalcon
Sale have clearly been deprived of a playoff spot this season due to Covid Sadly it is going to be a case of take your chances and good luck at best
I have never been a fan of ring fencing but have long since accepted it is the only viable option

No, Sale have been deprived of a playoff spot due to the stupidity of their DoR and the players - they know the rules, you don't get 27 cases of C19 by accident. Having passed it on to Saints, they were quite happy to pass it on to Worcester and presumably whoever they played in the semi-final. Thankfully PHE stepped in otherwise those extra 6 cases would have been playing. Sympathy = ZERO

Barry555 08 October, 2020 22:28
I mean Iím not sure how you think a pandemic works with a highly infectious airborne coronavirus but if you havenít realised it spreads quite easily. One case can turn into quite a few cases due to the nature of the sport. Training and and games could be super spreader events since well... people donít catch it on purpose. And most community rugby contact wise has stopped because...I think itís obvious.

Few allegations have been thrown around against sale regarding players actions and breaking protocol. But is there any evidence?

CharlieDog 08 October, 2020 22:38
Quote:
Barry555
I mean Iím not sure how you think a pandemic works with a highly infectious airborne coronavirus but if you havenít realised it spreads quite easily. One case can turn into quite a few cases due to the nature of the sport.

1 or 2 cases is unfortunate - 27 is gross negligence

Barry555 08 October, 2020 23:34
Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
Barry555
I mean Iím not sure how you think a pandemic works with a highly infectious airborne coronavirus but if you havenít realised it spreads quite easily. One case can turn into quite a few cases due to the nature of the sport.

1 or 2 cases is unfortunate - 27 is gross negligence
Should see the uk numbers...

Well with one player with the virus and can train in a bubble maximum of 20 (community rugby anyway) it is quite possible. Only takes one false negative and everyone player in starting XV and subs is at risk including the other team.

SimonG19 09 October, 2020 11:12
Quote:
RiponFalcon

They were deprived of an opportunity to win a playoff spot. It wasn't guaranteed.

steve1888 09 October, 2020 19:53
In this day and age if they'd been partying it would have been shared everywhere by now.

Its such a shame their season ended that way.

Barry555 09 October, 2020 20:01
Quote:
steve1888
In this day and age if they'd been partying it would have been shared everywhere by now.

Indeed Steve.

Also this day and age accusations and rumours get thrown around and are taken as fact without any evidence apart from ďmy best friends cousin has a neighbour called Adam and he said it was trueĒ

Robs 09 October, 2020 20:59
Quote:
steve1888
So back to my original point
Let's get the rules changed so nobody gets relegated by Covid!!!!

steve1888 10 October, 2020 08:14
But then can the title not be won, play off places not decided, cup rounds held up etc where do you draw the line.

Its a very tough situation and theres probably not an ideal situation.

Ive said all the way through relegating Saracens was punishing the championship and their fine wand original points deduction was enough and rbh their fine might have saved a few.

The whole thing is a mess now.

Barry555 10 October, 2020 10:26
How is it punishing the championship? Theyíve always said they wanted promotion to be open to the Prem where they will play the likes of Saracens and Exeter etc. If they want that then they need to adapt to playing quality rugby and at least have a couple of Champ teams turn them over... and well no disrespect to Falcons if we can go unbeaten (we wouldnít have got beaten if we played rest of the games) then Sarries could easily do it.

Itís unfair on Prem teams to be relegated into a league where the standard is a severe drop. Itís just pointless. Although Sarries do deserve to go down due to cap breaches.

Champ needs looked after. Ringfenced. And parachute payment used as prize money.

Robs 10 October, 2020 11:12
Quote:
steve1888
But then can the title not be won, play off places not decided, cup rounds held up etc where do you draw the line.

My only concern was to prevent teams being relegated through no fault of their own. Everything else would remain as it is

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net