Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Captain Mark Wilson - has been named in England's training squad as they prepare for the upcoming autumn tests.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

Pay-per-view Premier League
Discussion started by Leipziger , 11 October, 2020 08:09
Pay-per-view Premier League
Leipziger 11 October, 2020 08:09
It's not universally popular in football, but this could be one option for rugby Premiership clubs in 2020-21 if they have to play behind closed doors or to severely-restricted crowds. The cameras are already there, so if there's the will to do it I'm sure it could be done and even a few hundred people paying e.g. £10 a game gives the coffers a little boost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2020 08:11 by Leipziger.

Re: Pay-per-view Premier League
matt1il 11 October, 2020 08:39
It's pretty much universally despised so far.

You have people having paid (and not refunded) for their season tickets, government money supporting non playing staff furlough, redundancies, £1.2 billion spent on players, and then people have subscribed to the 3 platforms required to watch matches thinking they'd get all the behind closed doors games.

Now they're asking for £15 per match (not per day/round of games). Other platforms (say the EFL ifollow) charge £10 per game so this feels like a kick in the teeth.

Also with further restrictions potentially coming in on Monday people will either break the COVID mixing rules or find a "free" streaming service (I believe that the Saudis may have one...).

I think this would be as bad a mistake for rugby, just not reported as widely due to it being club rugby not football.

steve1888 11 October, 2020 08:58
Agreed, rugby certainly doesn't need the negative press atm and will just turn more to illegal streaming. Do the bookies still show too?

SimonG19 11 October, 2020 10:00
Fifteen quid to watch Gareth Bale "earning" six hundred grand a week? What a bargain!

FalcDancer 11 October, 2020 11:13
I personally pay for both Skysports & BT Sport as well as pay for a Newcastle season ticket which hasnít been refunded or direct debit paused
To then ask for £15 per game is profiteering
The premier league should be ashamed

However do I expect the RFU or Premier Rugby to handle the situation any better? No

Leipziger 11 October, 2020 12:59
Certainly football season-ticket holders, if they haven't been refunded even pro-rata (I'm not sure any club has done this) should get to watch their team's home games for free. I can understand the criticism when clubs are spending tens or hundreds of millions of pounds on new players and of course millions of pounds a week on their wage bills, that this just looks like money-grabbing. There is a suggestion that the revenue from pay-per-view might go towards the bail-out for the EFL, but unless it's on top of the planned bail-out, it just saves the Premier League money.

In rugby it's a bit different though, the game isn't awash with money, teams don't earn enough from TV to still buy 19-year-olds I've never heard of for £40m, or pay their more average players £3m a year, despite losing all matchday revenue. £10 a game would be OK I think, but as Dancer says, rugby administrators don't always (or even often) cover themselves in glory so we'll see how it's handled, if it happens.

Robs 11 October, 2020 14:30
I thought this was happening/going to happen

The Premiership site said this earlier this year:
"BT Sport is also working with Premiership Rugby and its clubs to offer eligible season ticket holders free access to home Gallagher Premiership matches broadcast on the BT Sport App. The BT Sport Match Pass is designed for season ticket holders of participating clubs who do not already have a BT Sport subscription and canít attend their home matches in person due to the current restrictions. Eligibility for the Match Pass is at the individual clubs discretion and is not determined by BT. Further information will be made available via clubs soon."

Did it happen?

markismith50 11 October, 2020 15:36
Yes Rob, it happened for the restart to the 2019-20 season, nothing yet announced for 2020-21.

matt1il 11 October, 2020 16:06
Quote:
Leipziger
Certainly football season-ticket holders, if they haven't been refunded even pro-rata (I'm not sure any club has done this) should get to watch their team's home games for free. I can understand the criticism when clubs are spending tens or hundreds of millions of pounds on new players and of course millions of pounds a week on their wage bills, that this just looks like money-grabbing. There is a suggestion that the revenue from pay-per-view might go towards the bail-out for the EFL, but unless it's on top of the planned bail-out, it just saves the Premier League money.

EDIT: the money does go directly to the clubs, not the broadcasters.

The bail out plan was discussed before this and I understand the main sticking point was that PL clubs were worried it would (and wanted assurances it wouldn't ) just see wage/transfer inflation in the lower leagues for a season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/10/2020 09:49 by matt1il.

saruman 11 October, 2020 17:24
Quote:
FalcDancer
I personally pay for both Skysports & BT Sport as well as pay for a Newcastle season ticket which hasnít been refunded or direct debit paused
To then ask for £15 per game is profiteering
The premier league should be ashamed

However do I expect the RFU or Premier Rugby to handle the situation any better? No
Am curious FalcDancer. How can NUFC not refund you for games you canít attend ?

FalcDancer 11 October, 2020 17:39
They will eventually refund the season ticket payments. I think I have made 7 monthly instalments towards this seasons ticket, over half the total payment

My understanding is that most PL teams have suspended collection of direct debits pending a change in the Governments current policy on attending games
Newcastle were also the last team to refund last seasons ticket money as well. None of which surprises me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net