Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Captain Mark Wilson - has been named in England's training squad as they prepare for the upcoming autumn tests.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falcons’ promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

realistic expectations ?
Discussion started by wurzelfalcon , 12 October, 2020 07:18
realistic expectations ?
wurzelfalcon 12 October, 2020 07:18
Just gauging what everyones realisitic expectations are for the season ?
Personally I would be happy with avoiding relegation (preferably before the last day of the season ! )
Love to see us being really competitive and giving a go in all games, lets hope it happens

Re: realistic expectations ?
joefrog 12 October, 2020 08:12
Agree, avoiding relegation. Targeting matches on international weekends and against Worcester, Leicester and Irish. Would be good to have a great start and a more relaxing and less stressful end to the season. Really I just want to be there and see more Falcons rugby

matt1il 12 October, 2020 08:44
Yes, if we can assure survival in the Worcester home game (2nd last match) I'd take that. I can see it being quite tight at the bottom between us, Irish and Leicester. I still worry we're going into the season half cooked but hopeful that we'll make use of the rest, it'll be interesting to see which way it goes.

steve1888 12 October, 2020 09:15
Getting at least half our games completed and some with fans

dick g 12 October, 2020 09:38
I will approach the next season with my usual aproach; hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Difficult to make any predictions without seeing what the team with its new additions can do. We must make KP a fortress. Not many clubs enjoy playing here. We supporters have a large part to play. Players have repeatedly said how they respond to our urgings. We must not let them down. My voice may not be what it once was, but I shall still endeavour to make myself heard.

GeordieFalcon 12 October, 2020 09:57
Thats if we can even get in to the stadium...Boris is just about to announce another 6 weeks lockdown for us lucky folks up north! Gyms, pubs etc all to shut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2020 11:03 by GeordieFalcon.

maire88 12 October, 2020 11:34
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Thats if we can even get in to the stadium...Boris is just about to announce another 6 weeks lockdown for us lucky folks up north! Gyms, pubs etc all to shut.

Newcastle going into Tier Two, not Tier 3. Pubs won’t close. Rules will remain same as were with a few minor changes. The leaders have shouted so long and so loud that the government have given in. Only Liverpool going into tier 3.

GeordieFalcon 12 October, 2020 11:50
Yeah ive just seen that...so things stay the same here.

GeordieFalcon 12 October, 2020 11:52
Quote:
maire88
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Newcastle going into Tier Two, not Tier 3. Pubs won’t close. Rules will remain same as were with a few minor changes. The leaders have shouted so long and so loud that the government have given in. Only Liverpool going into tier 3.

What have they given in to? Not locking us down?

Exiled Falcon 12 October, 2020 13:36
So pubs not going to close? Ill just have to have a 300 mile round trip for a pint then!

GeordieFalcon 12 October, 2020 13:40
No EF, everything just staying as it currently is.

Exiled Falcon 12 October, 2020 13:48
Glad for all down there that's the case Geordie. The pubs closing (as they've just done up here) always feels like the ultimate in liberty removal.

GeordieFalcon 12 October, 2020 13:56
Its the gyms for me. I can live without the pubs, i cant live without the gym...its my stress relief lol

tigerburnie 12 October, 2020 15:57
Boxing Day could be a crucial game for both of us.

steve1888 12 October, 2020 16:09
Listening to Boris it seemed he hasn't confirmed our level and is hoping for local council's to accept tier 3 with the support offered?

markismith50 12 October, 2020 16:54
We’re in Tier 2 for the time being.

FalcDancer 12 October, 2020 16:56
Quote:
steve1888
Getting at least half our games completed and some with fans

I like this approach
To avoid relegation has to be the target then anything better than this is a bonus

Osric 12 October, 2020 18:32
Agree avoiding the potentially non existent relegation would be great, for me.

Being able to freeze in the North Stand would be a boon, too.

AFalcon24 13 October, 2020 09:20
Hopefully survive is the important thing and build on from there.

BorderFalcon 13 October, 2020 09:30
Quote:
Osric
Agree avoiding the potentially non existent relegation would be great, for me.
Being able to freeze in the North Stand would be a boon, too.

This. Keep the dream alive and think of the day we can all return to KP.

I think we can be very competitive this season and and a full house at KP will top it off.

A tramp abroad 13 October, 2020 10:32
I'll be happy with the following:

1. Start playing again
2. Get crowds back in to KP
3. Avoid relegation while playing attractive, attacking rugby as much as possible

SimonG19 13 October, 2020 10:37
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Glad for all down there that's the case Geordie. The pubs closing (as they've just done up here) always feels like the ultimate in liberty removal.

Some would say death is the ultimate liberty removal of course.

Rogerandout 13 October, 2020 15:21
I have a gut feeling that ring fencing must come in for this coming season for various reasons. So perhaps coming in 12th wouldn’t be as bad as in a normal season. But no-one likes losing.
That said I think we are capable of finishing above London Irish, Leicester, Worcester and Northampton. If we are competitive in the scrum I have no fears.
So if we can be in 8th place come the end of the season above all those clubs it will be a success. Exeter, Bath, Sale, Bristol and Wasps all have a bit more than us. Gloucester and Quins seem a little more inconsistent.
Amazing second half of the season from Wasps, what a turnaround with the same players! Leicester won the football league a couple of years ago. If we can click, play an aggressive rush defence like wasps we have the broken field runners to score tries.
I do so want to have some joy this year.

Exiled Falcon 13 October, 2020 18:48
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
Exiled Falcon

Very true Simon, but I guess it depends if cause of death is due to Covid or due to a plethora of other ailments not getting treated or arising from problems (eg both physical and mental health) emanating from the pending economic wasteland we face.

Barry555 13 October, 2020 21:11
1. You
2. Can’t
3. Predict
4. These
5. Kind
6. Of
7. Things
8. With
9. Covid
10. Knocking
11. About
12. Leicester Tigers

Pool_falcon 14 October, 2020 09:41
First off, it's surviving financially and in the Premiership.

After that, some sort of recognisable game plan/tactics. A competitive set piece and to finish above Tigers (I feel the latter is the most attainable).

SimonG19 14 October, 2020 11:16
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
Exiled Falcon

Very true Simon, but I guess it depends if cause of death is due to Covid or due to a plethora of other ailments not getting treated or arising from problems (eg both physical and mental health) emanating from the pending economic wasteland we face.

Very true EF but I still struggle to see not being able to go to the pub as the ultimate liberty removal but each to his own!

Andy Mac 14 October, 2020 12:43
Quote:
AFalcon24
Hopefully survive is the important thing and build on from there.

Seems to apply to rugby and life right now...

Leipziger 15 October, 2020 08:55
If the club starts 2021/22 in the Premiership I'd say that's acceptable.

DocA27 17 October, 2020 08:38
I think my basic expectation is quite simple: For the team to show up at a much higher level of fitness than they have in past seasons, play intelligent rugby and not look like 15 blokes who met each other that morning. A significantly higher fitness level, made possible by the lengthy offseason, should benefit us at the end of the season where quite frankly some of the teams with smaller squads are going to be in tatters.
If we don't do that, the house needs cleaning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net