Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc., should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go,elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Captain Mark Wilson - has been named in England's training squad as they prepare for the upcoming autumn tests.

3rd April 2020

RFU Confirmed Newcastle Falconsí promotion to the Gallagher Premiership for the 2020-21 season

O/T Restrictions
Discussion started by Exiled Falcon , 15 October, 2020 08:58
O/T Restrictions
Exiled Falcon 15 October, 2020 08:58
Hi everyone, really sorry if I shouldnít be posting this or it should be elsewhere but I need some advice regarding Newcastleís restrictions please.

My mum lives in Newcastle and next week it is her 80th birthday. After original plans were scupperred I now plan to drive down from Glasgow with Mrs Falcon and take my mum out for lunch then drive home again. We will wear masks in the car and I wonít be setting foot in her house (rather heartbreaking in all honesty), I will simply be picking her up outside her house, driving her to wherever we are going, having lunch, driving her back and then going back home.

Is this allowed? I think she is rather confused with whatever local restrictions there may be so I thought the best place to seek advice from would be here.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. One of these days weíll talk about going to a rugby match again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/10/2020 08:59 by Exiled Falcon.

Re: O/T Restrictions
maire88 15 October, 2020 09:40
Is your mum on her own? If so you can form a support bubble with her and you will be classed as one household- this means you can go into her house etc. Iím down in Leicestershire and I was able to do this with my mum in Newcastle.

dick g 15 October, 2020 09:46
No need to apologise, EF. This forum is where your friends are. Hope you manage to enjoy your mum's birthday.

CharlieDog 15 October, 2020 10:02
EF

As Maire88 says, if your mum is on her own you can form a social bubble and go out 'as one' - as a social bubble I believe you are also allowed to stay over if you needed to. I'm in a social bubble and been out to restaurants without a problem

Like most of these things, being sensible / reasonable should mean you are generally OK - as the saying goes 'it's the other idiots.....' Do what you are comfortable with and stay safe

SimonG19 15 October, 2020 11:01
Good luck EF and happy birthday to your mum!

Monkey1 15 October, 2020 11:33
As a rule of thumb EF, ignore the nonsense that emanates from those supposedly in power, and use your common sense. You are not allowed to travel to Liverpool, for example but you can go to Liverpool airport and get into a sealed metal tube with hundreds of strangers for several hours. Logic says you shouldn't do either, and logic also says you will be fine making that trip and seeing your mother as long as you do so sensibly with regards to the safety of everybody else.

Good luck, and make it an enjoyable day. By crikey, we could all do with a few of those.

Exiled Falcon 15 October, 2020 13:00
Thanks for replies and good wishes everyone, really appreciate them. Anyway, sadly Iím not in a bubble with my mum (sheís in one with her sister as she sees her a great deal more) and she doesnít feel comfortable about possibly breaking any rules. Not going to badger her to do otherwise as that would be unfair. Hey ho, it may be sorted for her 81st!

dick g 15 October, 2020 13:30
Use common sense when you can. Obey the law all the time. The alternative is anarchy.

matt1il 15 October, 2020 13:47
EF, first off, happy birthday to your mum!

Secondly your case is a bit different as your in Scotland (especially Glasgow/central belt) travelling outside of your area.

See here: BBC explainers, which itself links to here: Gov website

To Scots looking at travelling to rest of UK:
BBC: "People in Scotland are advised not to travel to areas of England where local restrictions are in place, unless the journey is absolutely necessary."
Gov: "Check local guidance before travelling to others parts of the UK, and if possible avoid travelling to areas with restrictions in place."

Scots in central belt:
BBC: "The government has advised people living in the central belt region - which stretches from Glasgow to Edinburgh - not to travel outside their area from 10-25 October inclusive, if they don't need to."
Gov: "Travel
We want you to be safe. Please think about whether you need to travel, especially if you live in, or would be travelling to or through, the Central Belt. If you need to travel, follow FACTS and stay safe.

We are not imposing mandatory travel restrictions at this stage however you should:
[...]
people living in the five health board areas are advised not to travel outside the health board area they live in, unless they need to;"

I think the main thing here is it's not banned, but advised not to.

Exiled Falcon 15 October, 2020 20:45
Very sage advice Dick and very true.

Thanks matt1 and thanks for all of your efforts and research, hugely appreciated. Wonít be a fun day but I think the best option is to drive down, drop off presents over the front garden gate and drive straight back home without any contact with anyone. Not the birthday I had planned for her but not wanting to add to the list of dafties causing chaos.

steve1888 15 October, 2020 22:02
You can meet in the garden fine , have a little fire or hire a heater or something or you could go stack or somewhere else with heated outdoor seating.

(Although personally think you'd be fine taking her for a meal too).

aidanb 16 October, 2020 07:43
oh fffs

this is where the rules are so hard

everyone one of us wants to say take her for a meal in a restaurant.

the advice not to travel unless necessary is tough but lets face it seeing your mum on her birthday is necessary for all of your mental wellbeing.

take her or a meal and enjoy the rare moments together.

however

I might suggest you fully isolate for a couple of days before hand so there is no chance of a "contact"

Exiled Falcon 16 October, 2020 16:25
Canít agree more Aidan, sadly she is unmovable however and Iím not going to add to the stress of the situation by trying to change her mind. In the grand scheme of things itís not the worst thing thatís happened and is insignificant compared to what a lot of people have gone through but itís still pretty cr@ppy.

Leipziger 16 October, 2020 19:21
Sad that you can't see her EF, but hope she has a good birthday anyway and best wishes to all of you.

Exiled Falcon 17 October, 2020 08:44
Thanks Leipy and Falcona.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net