Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Briefly a Wasp, always a Wasp?
Discussion started by BdeB , 08 January, 2016 11:33
Briefly a Wasp, always a Wasp?
BdeB 08 January, 2016 11:33
I am sure we have done this before but in light of J Johnstone Wasp's career consisting of 8mins and a yellow card, which other reasonably big names have had a brief career as a wasp.
In the brief but significant category must come Steve Thompson, if I remember it was only 50mins against Worc but it was a game he helped us dominate at the scrum to win some vital penalties on the way to what by seasons end proved to be a very valuable win.
Less significant was Fillipo though he at least played some full games. Hobson and Pitman also spring to mind.

Re: Briefly a Wasp, always a Wasp?
waspymatt 08 January, 2016 11:38
Lee Smith

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s96.htm?98,file=4917

greenwood 08 January, 2016 11:58
Jon Ions 5 games
Richard Poole-Jones

Does anyone remember a game that Wasps played (1998) at HQ against a World XV..Start of the season ?

Didn't a Welshman play in the centre (Hall) ?? 1 game

We lost I think.

Anonymous User 08 January, 2016 12:05
Jeremy castex, Guillermo roan, Marty veale, victor gresev, the Russian number 2, the Namibian second row, ed odonoghue, the other Argentina prop who folded like a deck of cards very scrum, the little Munster fullback, Colin Allan!! Rory Jenkins, Matt priscott, Joe mbu, Neil Baxter? Martin offiah - scored a winning try away at Newcastle with a touch line conversion from Logan...

WONKYWASP1 08 January, 2016 12:06
James Bailey ... if you're only counting playing time.

DuncanS 08 January, 2016 12:10
Stabiano?

COYW15 08 January, 2016 12:11
Wasn't familiar with this match against a World XV. Found a match programme on eBay and luckily the seller has included a photo of the teams. You were correct with Hall then. http://www.rugbyrelics.com/images/aaaaa/gt/35.jpg

Link to the eBay listing for anyone interested

Vespulavulgaris 08 January, 2016 12:34
Piri Weepu springs to mind from recent times. He made it off the bench once didn't he?

Nomad_Wasp 08 January, 2016 12:39
Marty Veale played a lot for us, and Heinz Koll turned out a fair bit too.

It was a shame Gresev never got much of a run for us as he was rated highly after the 2011 World Cup.

Ed O'Donohughe played a lot for us, and was last seen playing for the Reds in Super Rugby.

But there have been very few big names that haven't made an impact - and mostly that was due to injury rather than anything else (i.e. Thompson, Filipo, Hobson).

greenwood 08 January, 2016 14:51
Thanks COYW15..

Looking at that team I can't believe that Aaron James was still with us.

Mike Griffiths ex-Lion hardly set us alight..

BdeB 10 April, 2020 22:40
reminded of this thread on another thread: I nominate Ambrose Curtis.

Matt82 11 April, 2020 08:39
Tom Bristow, Jamie Stevenson, Nick de Luca of recent times

WONKYWASP1 11 April, 2020 10:31
Does Steve Jones count?

muglee 11 April, 2020 10:40
Anyone else remember the NFL lad who scored a hatrick in his first game then never played again? Must have been 2005?

Bellowhead 11 April, 2020 10:46
Was the NFL lad Neil Baxter?

I nominate Alex Rae, whose name I saw on the sub's bench in the 2004 HEC final. I don't remember him at all!

WaspieMatt 11 April, 2020 10:47
Does Josh Lewsey’s second stint at the club count? Albeit his first stint resulted in ‘legend’ status.

greenwood 11 April, 2020 11:33
How many games did Nick Popplewell play ?

Just wrote this then released ....
Re: Briefly a Wasp, always a wasp?
greenwood 18 November, 2014 11:57
How many did Nick Popplewell play ?

How time flies.

Heathen 11 April, 2020 16:19
Quote:
Bellowhead

Indeed he was.

Another one for the list - Joe Mbu.

WONKYWASP1 11 April, 2020 17:20
Joe Burton. One game. May (?) 2012 versus Exeter. Others making their debuts …. Christian, Billy V., Sam Jones, Elliot.

MarleyWasp 11 April, 2020 23:49
Quote:
Bellowhead
I nominate Alex Rae, whose name I saw on the sub's bench in the 2004 HEC final. I don't remember him at all!

Alex Rae didn't join until 2013. Are you thinking of Henry Nwume?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net