Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

england squad v Barbarians
Discussion started by suffolkwasp , 29 May, 2019 14:39
england squad v Barbarians
suffolkwasp 29 May, 2019 14:39
Josh Bassett and Tommy Taylor named . And Fekitoa for the oppostion .

Re: england squad v Barbarians
Buzzboy 31 May, 2019 08:20
Bet Tom Cruse is hacked off... played lots more than TT this year. And at least as well, if not better. Good for Josh to get some recognition.

neils 31 May, 2019 08:30
TC has been far better with more game time.

bigfecker 31 May, 2019 08:37
Any player selected for England XV for this game has no chance of going to the World Cup. All possible inclusions for the training squad have been removed from selection by the RFU.

So, this could be good news for Cruise or maybe not (he is inside the top 4 hookers or outside the top 6).

Either way, Smith is not going to Japan by the look of it, and maybe £5 is.

This match is effectively an England Saxons side.

bg 31 May, 2019 09:06
I can't see Cruse being anywhere near the WC squad. George, Hartley and Cowan-Dickie, and there's possibly others that would be ahead of him

Interestingly the Baa-baas were refused access to Cips by the Eng management which makes me think he will be part of the WC summer squad, but of course that doesn't mean he'll be on the plane to Japan

suffolkwasp 31 May, 2019 10:33
Shame that Marcus Smith is not in the under 20s squad in Argentina.
Last year we got well beaten in the final as Jones had not released the best under 20s wanting them for his squad- Curry etc. The taste of under 20s international rugby / number of games v people who are likely to feature later in senior squads ,I think, is useful. PLUS the good feeling that wining a World(Junior) Cup brings

AKWasp 31 May, 2019 10:39
I think itís a case of picking players who will be reaching their peak in 4 years time. U20s are too young and better off going to their WC while players like Cruse are behind players for this WC and may be a little too old for the next WC so no point selecting them.

bigfecker 31 May, 2019 12:56
Quote:
suffolkwasp
Last year we got well beaten in the final as Jones had not released the best under 20s wanting them for his squad- Curry etc. The taste of under 20s international rugby / number of games v people who are likely to feature later in senior squads ,I think, is useful. PLUS the good feeling that wining a World(Junior) Cup brings

Smith was originally selected for U20s, but got pulled for this meaningless money raising match.

bg 31 May, 2019 13:16
Worryingly for Smith is that there's a school of thought that if you have been picked for this match (English) then you're not going to be part of the WC squad.. that being the case, why didn't the management let him play in the U20 WC???

Its not as if this game means anything apart from helping plug holes in the finances of the ineptly managed RFU

bigfecker 31 May, 2019 16:07
Quote:
bg
Worryingly for Smith is that there's a school of thought that if you have been picked for this match (English) then you're not going to be part of the WC squad.. that being the case, why didn't the management let him play in the U20 WC???
Its not as if this game means anything apart from helping plug holes in the finances of the ineptly managed RFU

The implication is that Smith has dropped down the EJ pecking order at 10 under £5, which is where he should be. Smith's form this season has been very patchy, with Lang (a centre) being preferred in a lot of matches for Quins at 10. To be fair, Lang has looked a lot better.

You are correct, anybody in this match is not going to Japan unless some serious injuries to the squad in one position.

I too would have sent Smith to the U20s World Cup, but then I would have included Luke James first off, as he is much better than a few selected at U20. Luke James has the potential to be player of the U20 World Cup if played as a 12.

backdoc 31 May, 2019 16:17
Hasnít Dingwall been playing at 12? He looks excellent for Saints

Buzzboy 31 May, 2019 21:05
Quote:
bg
I can't see Cruse being anywhere near the WC squad. George, Hartley and Cowan-Dickie, and there's possibly others that would be ahead of him

I wasnít suggesting that TC would be in the EWC squad BG, only that he has been more useful than TT this season. I donít think TT is anywhere near the squad either.

bg 01 June, 2019 06:53
Quote:
Buzzboy
Quote:
bg

I wasnít suggesting that TC would be in the EWC squad BG, only that he has been more useful than TT this season. I donít think TT is anywhere near the squad either.

Ahh I see.. Maybe it was purely down to the fact that TT was already familiar with the Eng setup.. perhaps Cruse was already sitting on a beach somewhere seeing he's played a lot of rugby this year.. whereas TT probably welcomes a bit more mileage in his legs

John Tee 01 June, 2019 08:50
Quote:
suffolkwasp

I never get why young players are held back from being part of a successful major campaign for their age group. Especially if they have no hope of playing for the seniors.
The experience of winning and beating thd best should be invaluable.

bg 01 June, 2019 09:45
Quote:
John Tee
Quote:
suffolkwasp

I never get why young players are held back from being part of a successful major campaign for their age group. Especially if they have no hope of playing for the seniors.
The experience of winning and beating thd best should be invaluable.

Obviously a journalist has asked him the same question and he's stated that he was offered a place in the U20's squad and also for this week-ends game, and chose the latter.

I'm guessing he's hanging onto the slim thread of the possibility of making the main WC squad.

John Tee 01 June, 2019 10:14
Ok, I'm then confused how players pick their games.. lol

WONKYWASP1 02 June, 2019 18:49
I thoroughly enjoyed that game and didn't really care who won. Fekitoa played a stormer. Welcome!!

Quinten Poulsen 02 June, 2019 20:29
Quote:
Smith's form this season has been very patchy, with Lang (a centre) being preferred in a lot of matches for Quins at 10. To be fair, Lang has looked a lot better.

You're wrong on all 3 points! I don't know where you get your info from but it's clearly not from watching Quins.

Warleywasp 02 June, 2019 22:44
Fekitoa looked more than useful.

Bassett had his normal game of a try, a silly switch off mistake, a good case for kick and clap, a bad case for kick and clap and the rest very solid. Good game Bertie.

Taylor, just so pleased he got an outing and kept his juices flowing for next season.

Sorry to say I hated the Sky coverage which is just so over the top USA style.

However good game to watch whilst reading my knitting magazine!

suffolkwasp 03 June, 2019 14:51
good game from Fekitoa and NO injury.will be good for us next year and perhaps inspire Sipoaga

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net