Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Robson
Discussion started by SilverShire , 11 June, 2019 15:34
Robson
SilverShire 11 June, 2019 15:34
Is there any news on Robson and how he is getting on?

Re: Robson
will311293 11 June, 2019 15:52
On Instagram, he's training fairly hard with Daly at the Loughborough training facilities... seems a lot of England boys have headed there along with others including A & M watson, G Ford, Daly, Robson, sirker and others..

Hopefully if he's doing all the agility and speed work he should be back soon.

DuncanS 11 June, 2019 17:07
Considering the last I heard it wasn’t even certain he’d ever play again, this is excellent news!

Marconi 11 June, 2019 17:10
Quote:
will311293
On Instagram, he's training fairly hard with Daly at the Loughborough training facilities... seems a lot of England boys have headed there along with others including A & M watson, G Ford, Daly, Robson, sirker and others..
Hopefully if he's doing all the agility and speed work he should be back soon.

Presume Sirker is an error?

will311293 11 June, 2019 17:18
No No he is there... was in a fitness class with Watson (Marcus & Anthony)... don't think it was an England session in particular, seems a lot of lads are just going there for the sake of off season fitness.

bg 11 June, 2019 17:29
I thought all players had an enforced 5 week break (incl training) after the end of the season, negotiated between RPA and the PRL/RFU. I'm guessing some players might go back to clubs for voluntary training though.

I believe Robson has been training for quite a while.. a video was posted on either twitter or Instragram (I'm not signed up for either so can't search) of him sucessfully converting a dropgoal from halfway and this was at Wasps training ground.. he was in training kit and I have a feeling that was early May. Someone from the other site might know how to find it.

I don't think he was allowed to do contact training whilst on his bloody thinning treatment though, which must be nearing the end of its course.

Speedy-New 12 June, 2019 07:03
Training will be fine for Robson. Its contact thats the issue due to the blood thining.

After the inital course of treatment then he will have to undergo all of the tests carried out in the first place to ensure the clot(s) have gone.

I think (not a Dr) they will also need to ensure all blood counts are back to normal levels before he will be cleared for full training.

bg 12 June, 2019 08:08
I think I recall the length of treatment was 3 months and then a re-assessment (is warfarin still used?). I'm sure he wouldn't have been allowed to go back to even light training at the start of May if things hadn't improved immediately.

It was discovered halfway through the 6 nations so that must mean he must be within days of having that re-assessment.

RogerE 12 June, 2019 08:56
Quote:
bg
I think I recall the length of treatment was 3 months and then a re-assessment (is warfarin still used?). I'm sure he wouldn't have been allowed to go back to even light training at the start of May if things hadn't improved immediately.
It was discovered halfway through the 6 nations so that must mean he must be within days of having that re-assessment.

Three months is usually for post-operative treatment, for DVTs/PE it is often 6 months.

Warfarin is still the normal drug (after the initial heparin injections to break down the clots). There are alternatives available nowadays but these are very expensive so are not usually prescribed unless there is a very good reason for not prescribing Warfarin.

One reason for not prescribing the newer alternatives is thee is no "antidote" in case of internal bleeding, like there is with warfarin. and I should imagine Rugby will be regarded as a higher risk for getting internal bleeding.

Roger

DrHankPym(superhero) 12 June, 2019 09:29
Quote:
bg
I thought all players had an enforced 5 week break (incl training) after the end of the season, negotiated between RPA and the PRL/RFU. I'm guessing some players might go back to clubs for voluntary training though.

Almost definitely, I'm guessing some players want to give themselves the best chance of making Eddie's final 37 man squad. If that means eating into their required rest period than so be it (in their eyes).

It's a shame if that is the thinking, as next season is going to be a long one for RWC players.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Heathen 12 June, 2019 09:49
Quote:
RogerE
Quote:
bg

Three months is usually for post-operative treatment, for DVTs/PE it is often 6 months.

Warfarin is still the normal drug (after the initial heparin injections to break down the clots). There are alternatives available nowadays but these are very expensive so are not usually prescribed unless there is a very good reason for not prescribing Warfarin.

One reason for not prescribing the newer alternatives is thee is no "antidote" in case of internal bleeding, like there is with warfarin. and I should imagine Rugby will be regarded as a higher risk for getting internal bleeding.

Roger,

Interesting comments re the newer alternatives. I take Apixaban and if I get a cut or scratch, it certainly does take a while for the marks to disappear. The severity of bruising is also enhanced with them.

backdoc 12 June, 2019 10:35
if I had been a regulator, i would have told the manufacturers of Apixoban to go away and come back when they have found a way to reverse it. The guidelines for use at before and after surgery are inaccurate. Far too many people are being put on it because of a small decreased risk of the x,y,z, without thought for the potentially catastrophic consequences in and around any form of emergency surgery.

Nomad_Wasp 12 June, 2019 15:07
Bloody hell, the forum's turned into the Lancet!

Heathen 12 June, 2019 16:13
Quote:
Nomad_Wasp
thumbs down

Speedy-New 12 June, 2019 16:17
Quote:
Nomad_Wasp

Let me get started on the way back office functions work within the NHS and I could type for hours!

bg 12 June, 2019 16:34
Quote:
Nomad_Wasp

TBH its a lot more pleasant than some other recent threads..

.. BTW.. I've got this lump.. :-)

John Tee 13 June, 2019 16:16
Quote:
DrHankPym(superhero)
Quote:
bg

Almost definitely, I'm guessing some players want to give themselves the best chance of making Eddie's final 37 man squad. If that means eating into their required rest period than so be it (in their eyes).

It's a shame if that is the thinking, as next season is going to be a long one for RWC players.

This is where clubs get cheated by not having players potentially available.
It seems to me that when they took the rfu dollar, they didn't fully understand it.

I'd expect DoR to very concerned about players not taking rest time...because the consequence will be with the club.

Either clubs manage players or they dont for the salaries they pay..

Seems odd to me.

Trev's Big Tackle 13 June, 2019 17:08
If it's not official training with either the club or country does it affect the rest period? I mean, if a player during the rest period goes for a jog, does that affect the rest period? Play a round of golf? Go mountain biking? Surfing? Sprint training?

Presumably there's a line somewhere with allowed activity on one side and not allowed on the other. But where is that line? Is it defined anywhere?

backdoc 13 June, 2019 17:38
If you avoid contact I cannot see the problem with optimising fitness.

bg 13 June, 2019 18:42
Quote:
backdoc
If you avoid contact I cannot see the problem with optimising fitness.

I would have thought at the end of a season most players would be glad to rest their body and probably more importantly take themselves away from the rugby environment and mentally switch off.

If they want to go for a jog whilst in Dubai or go for a game of golf in Spain fine but to go to an organised rugby fitness session at a centre of sports research and excellence seems to be missing the thinking/rationale about having the 5 week enforced break, which the RPA negoitiated for its members who occasionally moan that the season is too long..

What ends up happening is one player will hear about another player going and will want to go as well as to not miss out despite maybe still carrying a niggle... which must infuriate DoR's.

Sometimes players need saving from themselves.. Haskell has admitted so in his various podcasts.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net