Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Article about Kearnan Myall
Discussion started by ukms , 19 August, 2019 21:41
Article about Kearnan Myall
ukms 19 August, 2019 21:41
Very interesting and quite shocking article about KM.

[amp.theguardian.com]

Re: Article about Kearnan Myall
WaspieKev 19 August, 2019 22:23
A quite worrying article which just goes to show that the life of a professional rugby player isn't all sweetness and light. Good on Kearnan for bringing the matter out so publicly and let's hope that the powers that be take notice and take appropriate care and attention to the issues he's raised.

steve from cov 19 August, 2019 22:52
Fascinating read.

I hadnít thought that a well paid rugby player - with such a comfortable lifestyle - would struggle with mental health problems in this way.

I assumed that professional sportsmen lived the life of Reilly. It just shows.

Best wishes to Kearnan.

Petergwilson 20 August, 2019 09:06
I wish him all the best but I really can't sympathise. It's probably a lot tougher for most people who have to go to work every day in a job they probably don't really enjoy for a lot less money and still have to worry about paying the mortgage, feeding the family and not getting fired etc.

RossM 20 August, 2019 10:04
Quote:
Petergwilson
I wish him all the best but I really can't sympathise. It's probably a lot tougher for most people who have to go to work every day in a job they probably don't really enjoy for a lot less money and still have to worry about paying the mortgage, feeding the family and not getting fired etc.

You really haven't a clue about clinical depression.

SimonG19 20 August, 2019 11:18
Quote:
Petergwilson

Oh dear.

Petergwilson 20 August, 2019 13:22
Actually I do but thanks for making an assumption based on nothing but your own self righteousness.

GeorgeTheWasp 20 August, 2019 13:23
Quote:
Petergwilson

Agreed completely with RossM - please jog on

Petergwilson 20 August, 2019 13:51
So it's OK for you to have an opinion based on nothing whereas I can't have an opinion based on actual facts and experience. Thanks Big Brother.

wombles222 20 August, 2019 14:06
It is a brave thing to admit to a therapist let alone the general public that he was as unwell, especially as he came to the point that he may well of jumped if not for intervention. As a health care professional in general practice I see many people from all walks of life that present with mental health illness. Yes as Petergwilson states financial implications can be a causative factor, however to put it to one item such as fiscal considerations is but to scratch the surface of the psychology behind this illness. To get a true understanding you must take into account family histroy, childhood experiences, previous trauma, current relationships, work related issues, personal factors, social media, drug and alcohol use, socioeconomic factors, cultural understandings...and that is just the start.
Ours is a society that assumes that if you are well off, do a desirable job and receive rewards and have a nice home and drive a nice car that happiness and success must surely follow. It is a common measure that people use in the UK, I can say now for a fact that is folly., it is not the case at all. what you are seeing is the persons "public face", what they choose to put forward, what they use as a defence (and there are many reasons behind this as well). If you see their "private face", see their own personal psychology, their own traumas, their previous history, if you understand what they perceive, process and feel and their own individiual strengths and weaknesses you start to understand the whole, and in that appreciate things might not be as positive as you imagine it would be. Unfortunately our society has not moved much forward in acceptance of people with mental health illness and they still get pushed to the peripheries of society and their illness downplayed by strangers or worse friends and family. We do not do this with physical illness such as cancer, we give people sympathy when they see a case for a broken bone (visible proof), we do not for the more invisible and equally health damaging conditions such as this.
Kearnan will not feel what I am about to say, but his bravery in publically announcing what he went through is a strong action from a strong person. He will feel exactly the opposite but that is not the case. He should be applauded for doing this, not only might encourage others to come forward for help, it might allow others to see mental health illness as something normal to be treated rather than abnormal to be ashamed of.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 20/08/2019 14:12 by wombles222.

RossM 20 August, 2019 15:28
Well put, wombles.

The club have issued a statement:

Wasps Offy

DrHankPym(superhero) 20 August, 2019 15:42
Quote:
Petergwilson

Except that he was worrying about his job, as he mentions in fudging the mental health tests. He was worried about not playing, which in turn would have an effect his career prospects at the club.

Also just because his wage is greater than mine (or the average person in the country) it doesn't mean he hasn't got worry about bills,mortgage etc. It's just a different scale he has to deal with.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Rinkadink 20 August, 2019 15:59
Quote:
Petergwilson
Actually I do but thanks for making an assumption based on nothing but your own self righteousness.
No, you don't have a clue.

It's the "I'm not ***ist I have a black/gay/female/transgender/whatever friend/relative/person, believe me" line that gets thrown out when someone gets called out for some comments they've made.

Stigma and damaging rhetoric around all kinds of mental health issues needs to be done with immediately, it will save lives and that's not an exaggeration.

Rinkadink 20 August, 2019 16:16
Oh and describing in detail whatever experience you have won't justify your comment that you have no sympathy for him and others in similar situations.

I'm not even going to pretend many many people who suffer from mental health issues are not in such an advantaged position to even get help but illnesses don't see or care for any of that.

Lwasp 20 August, 2019 16:30
Quote:
Petergwilson

Did you, perchance, mean you can't empathise rather than sympathise? if you meant the latter then it is surely not self righteous to wonder why having a well paid job should make someone less worthy of sympathy for suffering in this way?

Often (not always I grant you) the higher the pay the higher the pressure, it can be a compounding effect not a liberating one. And whilst we sit outside looking in thinking pro rugby players have dream jobs we must remember it can be a job like any other. When you are in the depths of Winter, flogging yourself on the training field, picking yourself up out of the mud for the 30th time that day after being tackled by the team battering ram, and then you find out for the 12th week in a row you are not being picked to play at the weekend I bet it seems less like a dream job. Or, like Myall, you do get picked most weeks and that means performing on the big stage, taking hit after hit from blokes not pulling back like a training session and be expected to get back up and do it all again, knowing your every move is being scrutinised on television and social media. And then you lose........

I've never played pro rugby and thankfully have never been in a place that left me feeling there was only one way out, I can't empathise, but I can certainly sympathise. And I can admire Kearnan's bravery in going public with this.

Phillywasp 20 August, 2019 22:07
Some concerning tweets from @RUGBY_STR_COACH regarding wasps culture.

"I loved working in pro rugby but wasps environment comes at a price. Player depression, drug & alcohol use. Players leaving in droves (often for huge pay cuts). Massive staff culture of fear and finger pointing. This is the overdue beginning of the end for that culture."

Later, a screenshot of a text he claims is from a former wasps player - "Got depressed when I was there. Now I've left I feel loads better."

Andy1210 21 August, 2019 08:58
Quote:
GeorgeTheWasp
Quote:
Petergwilson

Agreed completely with RossM - please jog on

With all the comments here. You clearly have no proper understanding what clinical depression is - your opinion belongs in the Victorian era. Please don't embarrass yourself any further.

backdoc 21 August, 2019 09:50
A small point. There is a difference between reactive depression and endogenous depression. We donít know the background but cannot assume that events have triggered this.

WONKYWASP1 21 August, 2019 12:23
Kearnan should be congratulated on his bravery, grit and determination, and for turning a truly awful experience into something positive and hopeful. It cannot have been easy. I was lucky enough to meet him (laughing at an accidental side-step that I and my sticks had to do to avoid a collision with hoardes of fans) and he was so nice.. Good luck and good fortune to you, Kearnan.

Buzzboy 21 August, 2019 15:04
Always one of my favourite players. Sorry to hear about this experience. Best wishes at Oxford Kearnan. I hope you enjoy yourself there. And brave indeed to come clean with this. I can sympathise with his feelings.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net