Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Team for Northampton?
Discussion started by Nomad_Wasp , 27 September, 2019 10:30
Team for Northampton?
Nomad_Wasp 27 September, 2019 10:30
Jumping the gun a bit, but who do we think will play? I think another mixture of youth and experience, but I've no real clue on the forwards. Maybe something like:

15. James
14. Watson
13. Neal
12. Booj
11. Kilbridge
10. Umaga (though could see Miller getting a run)
9. Robson

1. ZZ
2. Taylor
3. J T-A
4. Gaskell
5. Matthews
6. Rieder?
7. Young
8. Vailanu (assuming Willis isn't fit)

16. Cruse
17. Harris
18. Owlett
18. Thibaud / Cardall
19. Thibaud /Rieder?
20. Wolstenholme
21. Miller/Umaga
22. Sirker

Re: Team for Northampton?
Matt82 27 September, 2019 11:29
From Costello's comments the other day i'd be surprised if Neal was involved. Didn't cover himself in glory.

Heathen 27 September, 2019 11:38
Hopefully one that will win the game!

Nomad_Wasp 27 September, 2019 12:20
Ha, I think I was about 20% right.

Good to see some of the depth we have in some positions (my way of saying I'd forgotten about certain players!), and a good run for some of the younger guys.

15 Marcus Watson (30)
14 Paolo Odogwu (0)
13 Sam Spink (2)
12 Michael Le Bourgeois (15)
11 Josh Bassett (105)
10 Jacob Umaga (8)
9 Sam Wolstenholme (1)

1 Zurabi Zhvania (24)
2 Tom Cruse (63)
3 Biyi Alo (1)
4 Tim Cardall (4)
5 Charlie Matthews (14)
6 Brad Shields (c) (15)
7 Nizaam Carr (37)
8 Sione Vailanu (1)

Replacements
16 Gabriel Oghre (7)
17 Tom West (12)
18 Jeff Toomaga-Allen (0)
19 Thibaud Flament (1)
20 Jack Willis (36)
21. Henry Clement (1)
22 Rob Miller (103)
23 Owain James (8)

Chris Hoddle 27 September, 2019 14:29
NORTHAMPTON SAINTS vs WASPS
Premiership Rugby Cup, Round 2
Saturday 28 September, 2019
Franklin’s Gardens
Kick-off: 3pm
15 Tom Collins
14 Ollie Sleightholme
13 Rory Hutchinson
12 Andrew Symons
11 Taqele Naiyaravoro
10 James Grayson
9 Henry Taylor
1 Alex Waller (c)
2 James Fish
3 Ehren Painter
4 David Ribbans
5 Lewis Bean
6 Alex Coles
7 Tom Wood
8 Mitch Eadie
Replacements:
16 Michael van Vuuren
17 Ben Franks
18 Paul Hill
19 JJ Tonks
20 Teimana Harrison
21 James Mitchell
22 Fraser Dingwall
23 Ryan Olowofela
Referee: Michael Hudson
Assistant Referees: Alex Thomas and Wayne Falla
TMO: David Grashoff
Not available for selection:
Harry Mallinder (knee), Dylan Hartley (knee), Alex Mitchell (knee), Reece Marshall (hamstring), Mikey Haywood (knee), Jamie Gibson (shoulder), Heinz Brüssow (ankle), and Paddy Ryan (knee)
International duty:
Dan Biggar (Wal), Piers Francis (Eng), Courtney Lawes (Eng), Lewis Ludlam (Eng), Api Ratuniyarawa (Fiji), Cobus Reinach (SA), and Ahsee Tuala (Sam).

Also two players still in NZ and a couple of other players injured but not mentioned.
Enjoy the game

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

coddy 27 September, 2019 22:58
Long shot I know but does anybody know if there's likely to be a pub in Weymouth that will show the game?

Aylesbury Wasp 27 September, 2019 23:36
Very happy to see Jack Willis back, albeit on the bench. Exciting early opportunity for Sam Wolstenholme. Best wishes. Much more resolute defence and no injuries please.

Matt82 28 September, 2019 08:49
I'm looking forward to seeing Spink. Talked up a few years ago and been hit by injuries. See him before the game last week and looked in good nick. Be interesting to see if Odogwu can replicate his 7s form. I'm slightly perplexed though why Sirker has been shipped out on loan?!

backdoc 28 September, 2019 09:57
Agree about Spink.
Anyone watch Tigers dismantle the Exeter machine last night? Very impressive. Especially Guy Thompson, the 10 and the lineout.

Damian68 28 September, 2019 12:19
Quote:
Matt82
I'm looking forward to seeing Spink. Talked up a few years ago and been hit by injuries. See him before the game last week and looked in good nick. Be interesting to see if Odogwu can replicate his 7s form. I'm slightly perplexed though why Sirker has been shipped out on loan?!

Given Dai’s comments prior to the start of the Premiership Cup I would understand why Sirker may not be in the starting XV for today’s encounter with Saints but at the very least I would have expected our best back 3 performer and most lethal attacking threat (is it 10 tries in his last 5 games now??) to have been in the 23. Not in a million years would I have thought that Sirker would be sent out on loan to a recently promoted Champ outfit whose chances of survival this season can only be described as slim to non-existent. What is he expected to get out of this apart from the ability to accept defeat with grace?

I’m sure the coaching staff would mitigate this by sighting the need for Sirker to get ‘minutes” under his belt. IMHO though I would much rather have Sirker as part of the day-to-day Wasps training setup perhaps accepting that he may only play a cameo role coming off the bench in the next 2 matches so you could at least keep him feeling that he’s in contention for a Prem start - he absolutely deserves to be given this chance. I would be very surprised if Sirker wasn’t of the same opinion if he was being honest!

Why isn’t Kibirige facing the same scenario? Again you could argue that his exclusion from the 23 this week recognises his lack lustre performance against Sarries but I’m sure he would much rather remain part of the Wasps squad than go to a club like Ampthill.

If I was Sirker I’d be wondering what he has to do to progress into the Senior setup especially in light of the lip service Dai paid to the importance of bringing youth through and perhaps looking at other Prem Club options with a proven track record of rewarding performance as opposed to focusing on age and established player hierarchy. - if you’re good enough you’re old enough and Sirker has looked the most dangerous back 3 player option we have available for some time now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2019 14:34 by Damian68.

steve from cov 28 September, 2019 16:56
Fantastic game. Excellent win.

Wolstenholme had a fantastic debut. Willis was class off the bench.

Well done Wasps.

Matt82 28 September, 2019 17:12
Much better than last week. Umaga is very impressive at 10. The young lad at 9 showed composure beyond his years. The front row that came on (West, Oghre and Jeff) swung the game out way. Thought Matthews was an unsung hero and I'd definitely be starting him more this season. One of the few players who can knock people back in the tackle. Last mention is our future captain...Jack Willis will become a club legend. If we can get him and YY on the pitch together we will be potent.

Heathen 28 September, 2019 17:35
Quote:
Matt82
Much better than last week. Umaga is very impressive at 10. The young lad at 9 showed composure beyond his years. The front row that came on (West, Oghre and Jeff) swung the game out way. Thought Matthews was an unsung hero and I'd definitely be starting him more this season. One of the few players who can knock people back in the tackle. Last mention is our future captain...Jack Willis will become a club legend. If we can get him and YY on the pitch together we will be potent.

+1

suffolkwasp 28 September, 2019 18:38
Umaga was good but his conversion rate this week was poor. Some 6 points left out there which would have made the last few minutes a lot less stressful. In tight games we can't afford it and this year could be difficult. Gopperth-like consistency and excellence will be essential for us to survive.

steve from cov 28 September, 2019 18:46
Yes.

I was surprised with Jacob’s success rate as last week he easily nailed everything.

He looks a classy player though.

backdoc 28 September, 2019 19:44
Yes - an off day. Think how good he was at converting in the sevens. Maybe he should try drop-goal conversions....

Buzzboy 28 September, 2019 21:22
What a great game. Well done Wasps ! And Saints. Great for a neutral I guess. But even better for a Wasp.
Hope the wingers were well handled, being told they were out of the squad.

Nomad_Wasp 28 September, 2019 21:47
The team showed such heart to rally from being down. And Jack's passion is amazing to see. In terms of back row, how are we going to balance Shields, Carr, Vailanu, Willis x2 and Young?

Spink looked quality too.

As for Sirker; it's preseason. Everyone will get a game. So him going to Ampthill and playing Championship rugby is better than doing nothing, and actually shows more interest from the management in him as they want to get him firing and get experience. Kilbridge has a whole season of premiership rugby behind him already,

So many pages of comment when we lost last week, virtually nothing today after a good win. Shocked, SHOCKED

Nomad_Wasp 28 September, 2019 21:51
Also, watching back on the highlights; have to echo the comments on Matthews. So much of our quick ball came from him smashing rucks. Great stuff

WaspieMatt 28 September, 2019 22:17
Great result- never easy to win at the Gardens.
Nomad- you are right. Lots of negativity last week (me included) but I’m always happy to balance that out when the lads put in a good performance. Unfortunately there are some on this board who only seem to appear when we lose or play badly!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net