Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Team's Up
Discussion started by Nomad_Wasp , 07 November, 2019 13:27
Team's Up
Nomad_Wasp 07 November, 2019 13:27
Strange this hasn't appeared yet?

Wasps prop Simon McIntyre will return to the starting line-up for this Friday night’s Gallagher Premiership Round 4 clash against his former club Sale Sharks at the AJ Bell Stadium (kick-off 7.45pm).

McIntyre, who has yet to feature this season following a hernia operation, is named at loosehead to partner Kieran Brookes and Tommy Taylor in the front-row – the latter who will also be coming up against his former employers.

Charlie Matthews replaces James Gaskell (shoulder) in the second-row alongside Will Rowlands, while Brad Shields, Nizaam Carr and Sione Vailanu occupy the back-row.

Another former Sale player in Paolo Odogwu starts, as he keeps his place in the back-three next to Matteo Minozzi and Zach Kibirige, while Juan de Jongh replaces the injured Malakai Fekitoa (hand) to partner Jimmy Gopperth in the centres.

Dan Robson will lead the side from scrum-half after scoring two tries in the opening three league matches, alongside Lima Sopoaga at stand-off, whose 15 points last weekend saw him pass the 200-point milestone for the Club.

Jack Willis returns after a laceration to his knee to be named among the replacements, while Tom Cruse is also set for his 50th Premiership appearance in Wasps colours from the bench.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “There were a lot of pleasing aspects to our performance last weekend against Bath but now we have to back that up.

“Sale is always a difficult place to go and they are a side littered with top-class players and will no doubt be competing at the top of the table throughout this season.

“We pushed them all the way a few weeks ago when we went up there in the Cup, so hopefully we can produce an 80-minute performance when we head up this Friday and come away with the right result.”

15 Matteo Minozzi (1)

14 Zach Kibirige (6)

13 Juan de Jongh (53)

12 Jimmy Gopperth (81)

11 Paolo Odogwu (3)

10 Lima Sopoaga (29)

9 Dan Robson (C) (101)

1 Simon McIntyre (159)

2 Tommy Taylor (53)

3 Kieran Brookes (24)

4 Charlie Matthews (18)

5 Will Rowlands (77)

6 Brad Shields (20)

7 Nizaam Carr (43)

8 Sione Vailanu (7)

Replacements

16 Tom Cruse (67)

17 Ben Harris (50)

18 Jeff Toomaga-Allen (6)

19 Thibaud Flament (6)

20 Jack Willis (40)

21 Sam Wolstenholme (5)

22 Billy Searle (15)

23 Michael Le Bourgeois (19)

Shame that Fekitoa is out injured, but good to see Matthews brought in. Great that Jack is back, that's real impact to bring off the bench

Re: Team's Up
wombles222 07 November, 2019 13:38
Good team! tough ask Manchester on a Friday night under the lights! especially as Sale are looking really good and top 4 material this year!
Go out there lads and give your all! A win would be fantastic! However to show us moving forward would be wonderful!!

Lets go get em boys!!! (Sm128)

Nomad_Wasp 07 November, 2019 14:30
Actually don't think Sale have delivered on their promise yet, I thought they would have made all the early running. Cue champion-level performance...

Andy1210 07 November, 2019 14:52
I would have thought Launchbury and Watson would have been involved. Launchers because he's been holding tackle bags for a few weeks and must be chomping at the bit to play competitively, and Watson because Ben Curry's back and in their side after making the same trip to the final as he did.

neils 07 November, 2019 14:55
Launch has a week off on his return to be with his family so was never anticipated to be in the team. Watson will need to win his place back having missed last weekend.

DrHankPym(superhero) 07 November, 2019 15:09
I would have thought that jet lag would play a part in why neither player being available. Good chance for Odogwu to cement his place in the team. He looked really good during the 7's.

Good looking team, hopefully I'll get to see another win like last year.

This'll be my first time doing a Friday night match at Sale.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

CovKid40 07 November, 2019 15:59
what's happened to Bassett and Ross Neal

Buzzboy 07 November, 2019 16:07
Well spotted Cov kid. I think we all forgot it was a Friday night game and the team announcement would be on Thursday!
Good looking team, but they will have to be at the top of the game to get anywhere near the Sale team. Have we won there recently?

Nomad_Wasp 07 November, 2019 16:09
Odogwu played very well last week by all reports, so fair that he keeps his slot I think. It's a long season, other players will get their chance.

With Europe coming up, we will rotate I'm sure.

suffolkwasp 07 November, 2019 16:17
What news of Gaskell ? Miller? Bassett? How injured are they?

neils 07 November, 2019 16:25
Shoulder not not all on offy

Matt82 07 November, 2019 20:54
Jack on the bench. Brilliant news. Surprised Mac has gone straight back into the team. Would've hoped Tom West be given some game time this year.

maire88 07 November, 2019 21:48
Quote:
Matt82
Jack on the bench. Brilliant news. Surprised Mac has gone straight back into the team. Would've hoped Tom West be given some game time this year.

Me too Matt. I wouldn’t be surprised and neither would I blame him for following his mate Will Stuart out of the club soon- in fact I’m surprised he’s not already. Having seen how hard he worked in previous seasons it’s a crying shame that he’s had virtually no game time whatsoever. With three other props in front of him I doubt he’ll see any game time at all this season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2019 21:26 by maire88.

backdoc 07 November, 2019 22:16
4 props in front of him? Surely 3?

maire88 08 November, 2019 21:25
Quote:
backdoc
4 props in front of him? Surely 3?

Yep sorry- you’re correct! That’s my dyscalculia talking grinning smiley edited.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net