Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***


Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LBND
Discussion started by Matt82 , 09 November, 2019 18:38
LBND
Matt82 09 November, 2019 18:38
What is Lol's involvement with the club currently? I'm not saying he is the man to come in and save the club but I feel we just lack someone like him who is Wasps through and through and is such an intelligent rugby man. With his knowledge of the game surely he should be advising the top brass on where we are going wrong. I can't imagine him putting up with what's going on if he was still captain.

Re: LBND
neils 09 November, 2019 18:53
Listed as a Director. Not sure he has any real involvement.

Re: LBND
Nomad_Wasp 09 November, 2019 19:23
Great players don't necessarily translate into being great coaches. It's easy to identify what isn't working, much harder to find a solution. Which is why as a rule people are far happier criticising than putting their neck on the line and doing something about it

Re: LBND
Al from Cov 09 November, 2019 19:33
Hmmm tricky one, the team certainly improved for a couple of matches last season when he came to the training ground and reminded them why they were there. Would he be able to change much now? Difficult to say but it is very easy to go from hero to zero in the current sporting world. Look at Martin Johnson, England legend and world cup winner to failed England manager in a few short months.

I know people on here have much love for Joe Worsley but would they still worship him if he came and made no difference at all?

Personally I would get the cheque book out and poach David Ellis from Kenilworth, he is in the area and I think he could really do a decent job

Re: LBND
Matt82 09 November, 2019 20:35
Quote:
Nomad_Wasp
Great players don't necessarily translate into being great coaches. It's easy to identify what isn't working, much harder to find a solution. Which is why as a rule people are far happier criticising than putting their neck on the line and doing something about it

I'm not necessarily saying being him in as a coach. I'm more thinking he reviews the whole coaching/playing set up and has an input into what needs improving. We should be tapping into the knowledge and passion for the club these guys have. Lol is a serial winner with the club and knows what it takes to be in a winning environment

Re: LBND
Nomad_Wasp 09 November, 2019 21:13
It seems like such an obvious idea that would benefit, so you'd hope they'd at least considered it.

But to be fair, Lol was also in the thick of it during our period of serial decline, so his judgement might not be the best!

Re: LBND
Matt82 09 November, 2019 21:44
He was always part of and captained the side in the better times. Something needs a serious shake up and they need a rugby brain consulting the guys at the top making rugby decisions

Re: LBND
P T A W 09 November, 2019 21:51
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
Nomad_Wasp
Great players don't necessarily translate into being great coaches. It's easy to identify what isn't working, much harder to find a solution. Which is why as a rule people are far happier criticising than putting their neck on the line and doing something about it

I'm not necessarily saying being him in as a coach. I'm more thinking he reviews the whole coaching/playing set up and has an input into what needs improving. We should be tapping into the knowledge and passion for the club these guys have. Lol is a serial winner with the club and knows what it takes to be in a winning environment

This really is Dais job.
Do you feel if this was to happen it would undermine Dais position?

Re: LBND
washy 09 November, 2019 22:32
tomorrow we could be bottom, at best second from bottom by a point. I know its only 4 games in but desperate change is required. Not saying this idea is the solution but we have seen a slow decline over the past couple of seasons and I don't see this stopping any time soon with the same coaching team. Also Dai's latest post match interview could have been the same one for any loss in the last 3 seasons.
The preview on bt sport for the Sale match showed Diamond being hands on during first team training and he was immersed in the training match with the players acting as both referee and coach....I have been to quite a few Wasps training sessions at Broadstreet and the Ricoh and Dai is nowhere near them and when he does venture anywhere near the players he does not interact in any way. The best Football teams right now are the ones showing a real connection between the coach and players, even the Leicester/Arsenal tie today had the commentators taking about the obvious dis-connect between Emery and his Arsenal players and I couldn't help but think that they could also be describing Wasps.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 22:51 by washy.

Re: LBND
Matt82 09 November, 2019 23:39
Quote:
P T A W
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
Nomad_Wasp
Great players don't necessarily translate into being great coaches. It's easy to identify what isn't working, much harder to find a solution. Which is why as a rule people are far happier criticising than putting their neck on the line and doing something about it

I'm not necessarily saying being him in as a coach. I'm more thinking he reviews the whole coaching/playing set up and has an input into what needs improving. We should be tapping into the knowledge and passion for the club these guys have. Lol is a serial winner with the club and knows what it takes to be in a winning environment

This really is Dais job.

Do you feel if this was to happen it would undermine Dais position?

I couldn't care less if it knocked Dai's nose out of joint. We are going backwards quickly and nothing appears to be changing. I said at the start of the season that this is a new dawn for the club with the influx of academy lads and it could all be wasted by poor coaching. Somebody needs to review what is happening as Dai seems reluctant to change the set up. I respect Dai but for me his tenure has come to an end. Not because I don't think he can't do the job but because he's got too much faith in the coaches he's brought in and is failing to see their flaws and make the changes that are required. We are not even losing games and playing good rugby. It's poor and if you think what we were like 2 seasons ago it's a million miles away from that. Lol for me knows the club, is a serial winner and would be a good bridge between DoR and board. If Dai can't see that he needs help then that is an issue.

Re: LBND
buzz999 10 November, 2019 00:41
How many times has the Dai question come up. In my line of work we have a theory: if you are always talking about one person it is probably time to get rid.

Heís served the club well but clearly his time in charge has run its course. Time for some fresh perspective before itís too late.

Re: LBND
P T A W 10 November, 2019 07:16
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
P T A W
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
Nomad_Wasp
Great players don't necessarily translate into being great coaches. It's easy to identify what isn't working, much harder to find a solution. Which is why as a rule people are far happier criticising than putting their neck on the line and doing something about it

I'm not necessarily saying being him in as a coach. I'm more thinking he reviews the whole coaching/playing set up and has an input into what needs improving. We should be tapping into the knowledge and passion for the club these guys have. Lol is a serial winner with the club and knows what it takes to be in a winning environment



This really is Dais job.

Do you feel if this was to happen it would undermine Dais position?

I couldn't care less if it knocked Dai's nose out of joint. We are going backwards quickly and nothing appears to be changing. I said at the start of the season that this is a new dawn for the club with the influx of academy lads and it could all be wasted by poor coaching. Somebody needs to review what is happening as Dai seems reluctant to change the set up. I respect Dai but for me his tenure has come to an end. Not because I don't think he can't do the job but because he's got too much faith in the coaches he's brought in and is failing to see their flaws and make the changes that are required. We are not even losing games and playing good rugby. It's poor and if you think what we were like 2 seasons ago it's a million miles away from that. Lol for me knows the club, is a serial winner and would be a good bridge between DoR and board. If Dai can't see that he needs help then that is an issue.

Matt the questions I asked were deliberately open ended.
Just for the record I 100% believe Daiís time is up. You only need to go back through the threads for quite a few seasons to see, I have been adamant that Dai was not the man to take Wasps forward.
I have been accused of having a personal campaign against him. This couldnít be further from the truth. My view is that there has been flaws in his style/leadership from the early days.. I except on his arrival Dai didnít inherit a great situation and then Wasps moved in an upward trajectory. This in my view was supported by a heavy campaign of recruitment. ď we all know the quotes about various super markets.Ē This cumulated with a final at Hq. The team that year had a back line of Galacticos.
A forward pack that should have been able to hold its own with most. Yet Wasps still failed to cross the line on the big day.
Now Wasps have fallen into a downward trajectory.
A cycle of team announcements, supporters commenting on this is the team to do the job. More often than not now resulting in defeat. Dai being interviewed repeating the same buzz lines with very little or no material fixes.
Occasionally there will be a win. To what affect does this have? In my view it just hangs another roll of paper over the cracks, never under pinning the reason the cracks are there.
Then we get the posters on here and other forums explaining to everyone, how this is the turning point and Dai is responsible for it.
I will ask a couple more questions for people to think about.
Who do you think was responsible for the Wasps on field tactics the year they got to the final?
How many playing prospects have left Wasps under Dais tenure on gone on to become established Prem players and in some cases internationals and why?
How many established players have left during Daiís tenure and why?
How many back room staff and coaches have left under Daiís tenure and why?
Why is it if Wasps are spending up to or near the salary cap + marquee players Wasps donít appear to have any clear on field strategy or direction?
My biggest question why is it that Wasps canít recruit a head coach with any reputation within the game?
I reiterate I have nothing personal against Dai. Wasps is bigger than one man! If he could turn it around I would applaud him, though heís had the players, heís had the budget and heís had the time are we now in a better state than when he arrived?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2019 07:22 by P T A W.

Re: LBND
Shugs 10 November, 2019 09:57
But what about when we lose a few with Dallaglio involved? Get another former great in? A few wins down the road and hopefully the Dai question will go away again (until the next loss).

Re: LBND
Matt82 10 November, 2019 10:35
Quote:
Shugs
But what about when we lose a few with Dallaglio involved? Get another former great in? A few wins down the road and hopefully the Dai question will go away again (until the next loss).

Shugs read what I wrote. I didn't say get Lol involved in the coaching but the guy has a rugby brain. I'd have him review the current set up and advise the board where he feels things are going wrong and what needs changing. The guy has Wasps in his DNA and he knows what a) the Wasps culture is and b) what winning looks like.

Re: LBND
WaspieMatt 10 November, 2019 11:25
The potential problem I see is that if Dai walks at any point this season we are unlikely to be able to appoint a suitable successor in the short term which means in all likelihood either Costello or Blackett would take temporary Ďpromotioní and would assume even greater responsibility for the way the team trains and the implementation of tactics on the pitch potentially until the end of the season and that could be catastrophic.

Re: LBND
Shugs 10 November, 2019 11:32
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
Shugs
But what about when we lose a few with Dallaglio involved? Get another former great in? A few wins down the road and hopefully the Dai question will go away again (until the next loss).

Shugs read what I wrote. I didn't say get Lol involved in the coaching but the g
uy has a rugby brain. I'd have him review the current set up and advise the board where he feels things are going wrong and what needs changing. The guy has Wasps in his DNA and he knows what a) the Wasps culture is and b) what winning looks like.
I did read it Matt and what it translates to is get a guy in to do a root and branch review of the current set up even though he has no experience of running, managing or coaching a club. Why? Because he used to play for us when we won things. It just doesn't work like that.

Re: LBND
P T A W 10 November, 2019 15:26
Quote:
WaspieMatt
The potential problem I see is that if Dai walks at any point this season we are unlikely to be able to appoint a suitable successor in the short term which means in all likelihood either Costello or Blackett would take temporary Ďpromotioní and would assume even greater responsibility for the way the team trains and the implementation of tactics on the pitch potentially until the end of the season and that could be catastrophic.

On the flip side if we continue as we are under Dai is there a realistic proposition of being in real danger of relegation?
In my view it would have been correct to replace him at the end of last season, possibly before.
If relieving Dai of his duties was done with due process Iím pretty confident this could be done successfully.
Interim man in charge may and would be the obvious way forward.

Re: LBND
Matt82 10 November, 2019 15:34
Quote:
Shugs
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
Shugs
But what about when we lose a few with Dallaglio involved? Get another former great in? A few wins down the road and hopefully the Dai question will go away again (until the next loss).


Shugs read what I wrote. I didn't say get Lol involved in the coaching but the g
uy has a rugby brain. I'd have him review the current set up and advise the board where he feels things are going wrong and what needs changing. The guy has Wasps in his DNA and he knows what a) the Wasps culture is and b) what winning looks like.
I did read it Matt and what it translates to is get a guy in to do a root and branch
review of the current set up even though he has no experience of running, managing or coaching a club. Why? Because he used to play for us when we won things. It just doesn't work like that.

So you'd rather Eastwood or Vaughan review the rugby side? They may be good business men but they have little experience of what a winning mentality in a rugby environment is.

Re: LBND
Matt82 10 November, 2019 15:35
Quote:
P T A W
Quote:
WaspieMatt
The potential problem I see is that if Dai walks at any point this season we are unlikely to be able to appoint a suitable successor in the short term which means in all likelihood either Costello or Blackett would take temporary Ďpromotioní and would assume even greater responsibility for the way the team trains and the implementation of tactics on the pitch potentially until the end of the season and that could be catastrophic.


On the flip side if we continue as we are under Dai is there a realistic proposition of being in real danger of relegation?
In my view it would have been correct to replace him at the end of last season, possibly before.
If relieving Dai of his duties was done with due process Iím pretty confident this could be done successfully.
Interim man in charge may and would be the obvious way forward.

Surely now would be the right time? International coaches all becoming available after the WC?

Re: LBND
P T A W 10 November, 2019 15:54
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
P T A W
Quote:
WaspieMatt
The potential problem I see is that if Dai walks at any point this season we are unlikely to be able to appoint a suitable successor in the short term which means in all likelihood either Costello or Blackett would take temporary Ďpromotioní and would assume even greater responsibility for the way the team trains and the implementation of tactics on the pitch potentially until the end of the season and that could be catastrophic.


On the flip side if we continue as we are under Dai is there a realistic proposition of being in real danger of relegation?


In my view it would have been correct to replace him at the end of last season, possibly before.
If relieving Dai of his duties was done with due process Iím pretty confident this could be done successfully.
Interim man in charge may and would be the obvious way forward.

Surely now would be the right time? International coaches all becoming available after the WC?

In my opinion and it is only opinion replacing Dai should have taken place a long time ago.
Though my opinion really doesnít count although I believe Iím entitled to it.
Iíve spoken out in seasons past and still believe itís time to cut our losses.
Get some short term fixes and then place the foundations to try and establish Wasps as a team that other teams fear.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net