Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Joe Worsley
Discussion started by Matt82 , 18 November, 2019 17:46
Joe Worsley
Matt82 18 November, 2019 17:46
I'm extremely confused. An ex Wasp who has got top level coaching experience in an area the majority of us feel has been an issue for many seasons and was available. Why have we not made an approach?

Re: Joe Worsley
steve from cov 18 November, 2019 17:59
Because there is no vacancy and Dai and Derek are happy with what we have.

It is the players that slip off tackles not the coaches.

The defence coach is not to blame for the defeats this season.

neils 18 November, 2019 18:06
Possibly he already has a job. He was supposed to be a Georgian coach for the WC only but does anyone know for a fact he has left. Also does he not have property involvement in the south of France which might make a move north difficult.

Shugs 18 November, 2019 18:14
Could be a thousand different reasons. I suspect high among them is the fact we have a defence coach already. To be fair we've looked better in defence this year as well which may have played a part.

neils 18 November, 2019 18:20
He is Castres defence coach for this season. Just along the road from his previous club.

backdoc 18 November, 2019 19:25
Its quite a road from Bordeaux to Castres! 3 hours if you drive it legally.

neils 18 November, 2019 20:03
Yes but which side of Bordeaux does he live. Plus closer than Georgia.

Nomad_Wasp 19 November, 2019 08:42
Quote:
Matt82
I'm extremely confused. An ex Wasp who has got top level coaching experience in an area the majority of us feel has been an issue for many seasons and was available. Why have we not made an approach?

How do you know we didn't? Maybe he likes living in France more than Coventry? Maybe they offered him more money? Maybe he doesn't want to move his family? You literally know nothing other than Joe is becoming the defence coach at Castres, and are speculating on the rest based on your own prejudices.

Heathen 19 November, 2019 13:20
Quote:
Nomad_Wasp
Quote:
Matt82

How do you know we didn't? Maybe he likes living in France more than Coventry? Maybe they offered him more money? Maybe he doesn't want to move his family? You literally know nothing other than Joe is becoming the defence coach at Castres, and are speculating on the rest based on your own prejudices.

Fairly certain that we did talk to Joe. Clearly, like many others, he did not fancy it.

Matt82 19 November, 2019 19:11
Quote:
Heathen
Quote:
Nomad_Wasp
Quote:
Matt82

Fairly certain that we did talk to Joe. Clearly, like many others, he did not fancy it.

+1

Neverwas 19 November, 2019 19:42
Not sure anyone can even be fairly certain that wasps spoke to Joe, unless they have inside knowledge, so basically you are guessing. Also ask Leicester if having former star men as coach or boss is a guarantee of success. Plus one other thort, if Dai is the problem (my personal guess is that his tenure has run it's course) why would all these 'big name's' want to come back to wasps - even our academy boss is leaving.

Matt82 19 November, 2019 20:49
Quote:
Neverwas
Not sure anyone can even be fairly certain that wasps spoke to Joe, unless they have inside knowledge, so basically you are guessing. Also ask Leicester if having former star men as coach or boss is a guarantee of success. Plus one other thort, if Dai is the problem (my personal guess is that his tenure has run it's course) why would all these 'big name's' want to come back to wasps - even our academy boss is leaving.

No but here's my question. Is his track record as a defence coach better than Costello? I'd say yes.

Penn Wasp 19 November, 2019 23:49
Joe may or not have been inter viewed. And he or wasps may or may not have thought it a food fit.

But I do t get this - the players are the ones dropping off tackles.

The job of a coaching team is not only to impart an effective game plan and improve skills, but also to motivate the players to do all they can to win.

When it comes to the defense, it is the .motivation of defending at all costs that I see is the biggest issue. That alongside the players not seeming to understand how the coaches want to organise the defence.

So for the coaches
- do they have a plan? Must be yes.
- is it an effective plan? I would say no.
- can they communicate it and impart on the players? I am doubtful.
The only possible scenario from them is that the coaches think that it is the players who are not good enough

And the players
- do they understand the plan?
- do they buy in to the plan?
- are they good enough to implement it
What I see is that they are not being effective on the pitch.

So can only be the players or the coaches.
Which one is it?

I know where my money sits.

westwaleswasp 20 November, 2019 08:42
I must admit I feel the coaching thing is overplayed. Players are failing.
Dai is still responsible for the players though, there are some signings I would tip my hat to him for, but few are in the backs, where signings have been poor more often than stellar these past times...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/11/2019 08:44 by westwaleswasp.

Hangover 20 November, 2019 09:05
It is down to the coaches to 'motivate' the players to implement their plan. If they cannot be motivated the players have to go. If after several groups of players have gone, then the plan is cack or the coaches cannot motivate and they have to go. I believe we are at that last stage.

backdoc 20 November, 2019 10:50
In the winning 96/7 season, if you missed a tackle Inge Tuigamala would give you a look that you never wanted to see again. We need a few like him in the changing room.

Hangover 20 November, 2019 11:03
Yup a Shaun a Lol an Inge.

Gaz 20 November, 2019 11:52
I am also seeing single tacklers rushing out of the defensive line, or others not following, creating dog legs and leaving gaps etc, and that is a coaching/organisational/tactical issue

It's been going on for years, poor Christian Wade was called out for his defence when he was the no 14, left frequently in 2 or 3 on 1 situations because those inside him had vacated or missed tackles.

Neverwas 20 November, 2019 17:30
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
Neverwas

No but here's my question. Is his track record as a defence coach better than Costello? I'd say yes.

But would Worsley be successful under Dai? I doubt it. Several 'top name's have turned down a wasps job & now a successful academy coach has left. Academy coaching & a good scouting set up is vital & looking at our 2 all black signings, we have a poor scouting set up, & losing pendlebury is a big loss.
I hate to be a doom monger & still hope we can turn the season around, but what I am hearing is players are unhappy due to simple things like poor communication from coaches, & we need happy players fighting for each other.

H@wasps 21 November, 2019 19:55
Really? I mean REALLY?
Firstly, how díyou know that the club hasnít approached Joe?
Secondly, would Joe want the role? (I suspect not, given that he left Bordeaux because they didnít give him the Head Coach position)

I bumped into Joe, Nikki and two of their three boys (the eldest is at school here in the UK) at the Marchť du Capucins on Sunday. He told me his role at Castres is part-time, three days a week.

Donít forget that Joe has other business interests in France and a happy and settled home life there.

What constitutes priorities for you, wont necessarily be a priority in someone elseís life. You cannot project your wants/desires onto someone else just because it suits you!

H@Wasps
A very cruel woman indeed!
And a pompous snob, apparently.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net