Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Exeter vs Wasps Team News
Discussion started by Snewbs , 29 November, 2019 16:12
Exeter vs Wasps Team News
Snewbs 29 November, 2019 16:12
Wasps team to face Exeter Chiefs this Saturday in the Gallagher Premiership at Sandy Park (kick-off 3pm)

Wasps (First-team appearances)

15 Matteo Minozzi (3)

14 Zach Kibirige (8)

13 Michael Le Bourgeois (22)

12 Jimmy Gopperth (83)

11 Marcus Watson (36)

10 Jacob Umaga (13)

9 Dan Robson (C) (104)

1 Zurabi Zhvania (31)

2 Tom Cruse (70)

3 Kieran Brookes (26)

4 Charlie Matthews (19)

5 Will Rowlands (80)

6 Jack Willis (43)

7 Nizaam Carr (44)

8 Tom Willis (13)

Replacements

16 Tommy Taylor (55)

17 Ben Harris (51)

18 Jack Owlett (3)

19 Tim Cardall (8)

20 Ashley Johnson (193)

21 Will Porter (12)

22 Lima Sopoaga (31)

23 Sam Spink (3)

Wasps have made five changes to the starting line-up to take on Exeter Chiefs at Sandy Park on Saturday in Round 5 of the Gallagher Premiership (kick-off 3pm).

Zurabi Zhvania, Tom Cruse, Charlie Matthews, Nizaam Carr and Jimmy Gopperth all return to the starting line-up as Dai Young’s men chase their second win of the league season.

Club captain Joe Launchbury, who signed a new deal with the Club this week, misses out with a calf injury (3-4 weeks) while Malakai Fekitoa is absent with a knee knock. Brad Shields is still recovering from a groin problem and should return to action next week.

Simon McIntyre and Thibaud Flament (concussion) also miss out while Sione Vailanu and Sam Wolstenholme only returned to training on Thursday. Juan de Jongh is out for two weeks with a groin issue.

Jacob Umaga, who also signed a new first-team contract this week, keeps his place at fly-half after last weekend’s man-of-the-match performance in the win over Agen.

Jack Owlett has earned a place on the bench against his former club and could make his Premiership debut, as could Academy graduate and centre Sam Spink who is added to the matchday 23.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “When we won there last season, we stayed in the game. We took our opportunities and if we get them this time, we have to take them.

“They don’t lose too many down there so we’ll have to be somewhere near our best again if we’re to get the win.

“They’ll challenge us with their width, physicality and set-piece as well. You’ve got to look at your 22 as the tryline, because if they get inside your 22, they tend to come away with points through driving lineouts or pick-and-gos. Field position is going to be very important.”

Wasps team to face Exeter Chiefs this Saturday in the Gallagher Premiership at Sandy Park (kick-off 3pm)

Wasps (First-team appearances)

15 Matteo Minozzi (3)

14 Zach Kibirige (8)

13 Michael Le Bourgeois (22)

12 Jimmy Gopperth (83)

11 Marcus Watson (36)

10 Jacob Umaga (13)

9 Dan Robson (C) (104)

1 Zurabi Zhvania (31)

2 Tom Cruse (70)

3 Kieran Brookes (26)

4 Charlie Matthews (19)

5 Will Rowlands (80)

6 Jack Willis (43)

7 Nizaam Carr (44)

8 Tom Willis (13)

Replacements

16 Tommy Taylor (55)

17 Ben Harris (51)

18 Jack Owlett (3)

19 Tim Cardall (8)

20 Ashley Johnson (193)

21 Will Porter (12)

22 Lima Sopoaga (31)

23 Sam Spink (3)

Re: Exeter vs Wasps Team News
Snewbs 29 November, 2019 16:19
To play

Exeter: Dollman; Nowell, Whitten, Hill, O'Flaherty; Steenson, White; Moon, Cowan-Dickie, Williams, Dennis (capt), Kirsten, Ewers, Armand, Kvesic

Replacements: Taione, Hepburn, Street, Lonsdale, Simmonds, Maunder, Simmonds, Hendrickson

Neverwas 29 November, 2019 16:33
Good & brave selections from Dai, Umaga at 10 shows faith in young talent, Owlett at 18 (TH replacement) also shows Dai is picking on performance not name (or wage). Launch will, naturally be missed, & hopefully Rowlands & Matthews can put in a good shift. Back row is going to be massively competitive soon, when all injured boys are fit, with some dissapointed boys around, should push stds higher.

Geoff P 29 November, 2019 16:47
Really pleased with Umaga at 10. This could be the start of a way back to a quality Wasps team

Buzzboy 29 November, 2019 17:06
Exciting selection. Will be tough as ever, but I’m mildly optimistic. Won’t thrash them.. but might sneak it.

backdoc 29 November, 2019 17:34
Exeter are 10/1 on to win

WaspieFrank 29 November, 2019 18:07
Quote:
backdoc
Exeter are 10/1 on to win

I think they were last year as well!

Hangover 29 November, 2019 19:10
Sorry but I think benching Ash is a mistake - he scores two tries last week and is the one guy who regularly gets over the gain line and run great angles 3-5 metres out. Unless he is carrying a knock he should start IMO.

That 10,12 & 13 combo could be VERY interesting.

COYW

Neverwas 29 November, 2019 19:18
Good point about Ash, top player, tough as teak & never holds back. But, & this is beauty of having a stronger squad, who do you drop? Theres good arguments all across the 23 (& wider squad). I look at mondays A team & Harris & Morris both had super games, Harris is in due to chestys concussion & Morris isnt in, so fight for places is hotting up.

Matt82 29 November, 2019 20:02
What has happened to Josh? I'd have certainly started him for this one for his work rate and carrying. Not even making the bench. Is he being bombed out?

Shugs 29 November, 2019 21:08
Bassett appears out of favour which I don't really understand. Be interesting to see how Umaga goes in this game. I really hope he does well but that it is also recognised that this will be no easy game for a 10. Big glimpses of the future as more and more of our academy products start making the squad. I really like the way coaches and management are ushering in this transition.

Hangover 29 November, 2019 22:30
Neverwas - I would have benched Carr, a good player but not the carrying ability of Ash. I personally would have Ash at 8 but as far as I know he has never been played there.

Matt82 30 November, 2019 08:39
Bench Carr? His work rate is phenomenal and in a game like this we need that in defence. I think Carr is playing on the flank anyway and not 8.

Neverwas 30 November, 2019 08:42
Hangover, yes, good point & idea. Ash's carrying is very strong (i'd hate to tackle him!), Carr offers other attributes of course, so it is a tough call. Possibly Carrs mobilty wins him the nod for this game, cos Exeter do stretch the play wide as well as playing a tight pick n drive game.

horusthewasp 30 November, 2019 09:49
I imagine the Ash and Basset situation is more to do with rotation / “asset management” and increasing experience across the squad (particularly with the youngins). We still have a long season ahead and with our injury record it’s better to be more cautious. Remember Bassett was run ragged last season so it’s best not to do the same this year.

Hangover 30 November, 2019 14:11
Matt82 - that is why I said bench Carr and not TWillis, Dai only plays Ash at 6.

But I still feel 8 is a great fit for him, power, great initial pace and good hands.

Yup could be a rotation thing and I suppose he could be being saved for a game we have more chance in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net