Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Snippets (Friday)
Discussion started by Boooo , 10 January, 2020 18:16
Snippets (Friday)
Boooo 10 January, 2020 18:16
A few interesting insights here ...

Haskell not happy about the general culture at Wasps

[www.coventrytelegraph.net]

Jacob is going to go a long way, says teammate Fekitoa

[www.therugbypaper.co.uk]

Malakai Fekitoa credits fly-half Jacob Umaga with transforming Wasps’ attack and reckons the youngster’s impressive genes are contributing to his no-fear mentality.

Umaga, nephew of New Zealand midfield great Tana and son of former Samoa star Mike, has seized his chance ahead of Lima Sopoaga, steering Wasps to last month’s crucial win at Bristol.

Blitzkrieg centre Fekitoa predicts a huge future for the 21-year-old, telling The Rugby Paper: “He’s been playing really well and is already leading us forward. You can see he can handle pressure and do amazing stuff as well – for one so young he’s going to be great for the club.

“It’s exciting because he can break a tackle and is fast as well. His game-management is growing and you can see our attack has been getting better. At the same time, Lima is back now after his illness and we have Billy Searle, so it’s great to have that competition between them.”

Fekitoa added: “When I was at high school in Auckland with Charles Piutau, Tana Umaga came back from Toulon and wanted me to sign for his club side, Counties Manukau. I chose Auckland instead but Tana gave me a few coaching tips that I’ve always remembered, even now.

“I never played against Tana but he was a great player for New Zealand who everyone looked up to and you can see that runs through the family. Jacob has spoken to Tana many times and learned a lot from the guy, so hopefully he can continue bringing that leadership to us.”

After his summer move from Toulon, Fekitoa feels he is beginning to hit the kind of form Wasps were banking on from an experienced, 24-cap All Black in the prime of his career.

Fekitoa, 27, said: “On the field I’m happy everything is starting to click and off it everybody has been welcoming. It was obviously tough for the club early on but we’ve been working really hard on our roles and we’re really starting to connect as a group of players now.

“Our attack is coming right and there’s a lot of clarity about what we’re doing. As you saw at Bristol, we’re starting to score points so we’ll look to maintain that level now.”

Ten games into his Wasps career, Fekitoa is fully acclimatising to English rugby after two years in the Top 14. He added: “It’s a lot more structured here. You tend to go through a lot of plays and it’s very physical, whereas in France it’s physical but games are a bit more open.”

Meanwhile, Fekitoa believes his former international coach Ian Foster is the right man to have been entrusted with taking New Zealand forward. Some see succeeding the hugely successful Steve Hansen as a poisoned chalice, but Fekitoa says: “I think Ian will be great.

“I worked with him when I was there and he’s a great coach who gets on well with players, whether you’re in the side or not. With a good team behind him he’ll be fine and I’m really pleased to see him being rewarded after eight years. I think he’ll be very successful.”

Fekitoa is backing the former Waikato fly-half’s man-management skills to shine through, adding: “I was really close to him and not only did he develop me as a player on the field, off the field he understands players very well and makes sure everything is okay.

“If everything’s sorted off the field, you tend to play better and I’m sure all the younger guys coming through will like and respect him. The All Blacks are in good hands.”

Re: Snippets (Friday)
SimonG19 10 January, 2020 18:48
Haskell - "That's why I am envious of Saracens, they might bend the rules a little bit but the very fact they signed people up early you kept that unity."

So fine to cheat for five years as long as the players get enough money to buy a house.

Matt82 10 January, 2020 19:25
I think it's poor form from both sides. Haskell shot his mouth off far too many times around the facilities and didn't help his cause. The club however should be trying to do more with keeping servants like him around the club. For example, I think he'd be a good candidate for the S&C role if that's something he'd be interested in.

Shugs 10 January, 2020 21:25
Disagree. Haskell didn't play for free. He was paid a very much above average wage and knew the nature of the business. Clubs owe no more to players than players owe to clubs at the professional level.

backdoc 10 January, 2020 21:37
Haskell hasn't thought this one through.

i thought he disliked Farrell?

ukms 10 January, 2020 22:14
Quote:
Matt82
I think it's poor form from both sides. Haskell shot his mouth off far too many times around the facilities and didn't help his cause. The club however should be trying to do more with keeping servants like him around the club. For example, I think he'd be a good candidate for the S&C role if that's something he'd be interested in.

Being real .... why on earth would Haskell be interested in that he’s got far to o many interests going on to do a pretty much full time job he certainly doesn’t need the money. .... .. id also have my doubts if he’s qualified.

Matt82 10 January, 2020 22:22
Quote:
ukms
Quote:
Matt82

Being real .... why on earth would Haskell be interested in that he’s got far to o many interests going on to do a pretty much full time job he certainly doesn’t need the money. .... .. id also have my doubts if he’s qualified.

Firstly he might want to stay in the game. He was a professional for a long time and pro athletes find it hard to stay away. He's been invited into the England camp by EJ to do sessions and I believe he's been invited back at Saints. Secondly being a pro for so long he's more qualified than most. I spoke to a member of the Wasps squad a couple of months ago who said Haskell was the best professional he'd worked with and was well respected within the playing group. Sometimes having respect for someone goes a lot further than someone's qualifications.

littlematt 11 January, 2020 10:34
Quote:
Shugs
Disagree. Haskell didn't play for free. He was paid a very much above average wage and knew the nature of the business. Clubs owe no more to players than players owe to clubs at the professional level.

That was pretty much what the discussion was about. Fans moan about player loyalty to clubs yet clubs show no loyalty to players. I dont think either Genge or Haskall had a particular issue with that but were saying fans need to realise that if players move for money etc it's because it's their job and they have a family to support.
Hask did say he would have loved to have been a one club man but it never worked out that way.

As for his comments on Sarries it wasnt what was being offered he admired it was the fact they got new contracts sorted way before the current one expired compared to his experience of always going into the last 6 months not knowing what was going to be offered. That said I suppose if money is no object and you arent tied down by a cap then you can offer long term contracts earlier as you dont have tight budgets to manage.

I do think it's a shame if true that we havent invited him back. Although I'd like to think that any ex player can pick up the phone ask to come along and theyll be looked after by the club.

Boooo 11 January, 2020 12:13
Quote:
littlematt
Quote:
Shugs

That was pretty much what the discussion was about. Fans moan about player loyalty to clubs yet clubs show no loyalty to players. I dont think either Genge or Haskall had a particular issue with that but were saying fans need to realise that if players move for money etc it's because it's their job and they have a family to support.
Hask did say he would have loved to have been a one club man but it never worked out that way.

As for his comments on Sarries it wasnt what was being offered he admired it was the fact they got new contracts sorted way before the current one expired compared to his experience of always going into the last 6 months not knowing what was going to be offered. That said I suppose if money is no object and you arent tied down by a cap then you can offer long term contracts earlier as you dont have tight budgets to manage.

I do think it's a shame if true that we havent invited him back. Although I'd like to think that any ex player can pick up the phone ask to come along and theyll be looked after by the club.

Littlemat...I agree with your sentiments entirely.
We can't have it both ways as fans and expect players to remain one-club players.
Especially as the game becomes more professional.
If a player likes a club, enjoys the environment, feels good, puts in the effort and gets paid roughly the going rate...he will probably want to stay at that club for a long time.
If other issues come into play, then both the player and the club have every right to look around for a better option.

And yes, I would like Wasps to do a bit more to maintain relationships with Wasps Legends and ex-players. I know Scrivs does quite a bit, but hopefully the Club can be equally proactive.

Hymenoptera 11 January, 2020 16:17
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
ukms
Quote:
Matt82

Firstly he might want to stay in the game. He was a professional for a long time and pro athletes find it hard to stay away. He's been invited into the England camp by EJ to do sessions and I believe he's been invited back at Saints. Secondly being a pro for so long he's more qualified than most. I spoke to a member of the Wasps squad a couple of months ago who said Haskell was the best professional he'd worked with and was well respected within the playing group. Sometimes having respect for someone goes a lot further than someone's qualifications.

I'm guessing you havent listened to the podcast based on the amount of assumptions you have made and starting a sentence with 'maybe'. .
He has businesses coming out of his ying yang and has no spare time, something he often references and the fact that not one of his colleagues has stayed in contact with him will tell you just how respected he was and why he has no place at the club. Funny enough, my last employer doesn't phone me up weekly either.
The club owes him nothing, he moved to a new club that he was too injured to play for,, draining their salary cap while he sunned himself in Ibiza or trained MMA. He's part of history. If Saints or anyone else offers him a gig, good for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 16:35 by Hymenoptera.

Slaav26 12 January, 2020 17:51
I must say that it seems rather odd that nobody has kept in contact with him..... not even his team mates? Really?

Buzzboy 12 January, 2020 19:21
He has been in the jungle...

neils 12 January, 2020 19:56
Quote:
Slaav26
I must say that it seems rather odd that nobody has kept in contact with him..... not even his team mates? Really?

Maybe nobody actually likes him. It then becomes very understandable.

RossM 12 January, 2020 22:43
Quote:
neils
Quote:
Slaav26

Maybe nobody actually likes him. It then becomes very understandable.

I have a feeling that James has an over inflated sense of self.

Matt82 13 January, 2020 16:09
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
ukms
Quote:
Matt82

I'm guessing you havent listened to the podcast based on the amount of assumptions you have made and starting a sentence with 'maybe'. .
He has businesses coming out of his ying yang and has no spare time, something he often references and the fact that not one of his colleagues has stayed in contact with him will tell you just how respected he was and why he has no place at the club. Funny enough, my last employer doesn't phone me up weekly either.
The club owes him nothing, he moved to a new club that he was too injured to play for,, draining their salary cap while he sunned himself in Ibiza or trained MMA. He's part of history. If Saints or anyone else offers him a gig, good for them.

I've read my post back and can't see a sentence that begins with maybe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net