Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
What if...
Discussion started by Dazthelion , 12 March, 2020 19:15
What if...
Dazthelion 12 March, 2020 19:15
Now hereís a question: if this season is declared null and void due to Coronavirus, do Saracens avoid relegation and play in the Prem again next season?

Re: What if...
Hangover 12 March, 2020 19:18
NO

MarleyWasp 12 March, 2020 19:38
I'd hazard a guess that if games can't be played or rearranged, they'd be classed as 0-0 draws.

DrHankPym(superhero) 13 March, 2020 09:19
Quote:
MarleyWasp
I'd hazard a guess that if games can't be played or rearranged, they'd be classed as 0-0 draws.

That seems most likely, if slightly rubbish. I think the bigger issue might be for Prem clubs loss of revenue with no footfall of folks buying stuff from the ground on matchdays.

Also there'd be issue of refunds for season ticket holders.

I'm wondering whether that's the reason Boris is pushing the "carry on as normal" narrative.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

washy 13 March, 2020 10:23
I am looking on the positive side. In normal circumstances the Summer months are devoid of any of my preferred sports, if things just get postponed and the season becomes longer then at least I get to watch sport in some sunshine (Yep, I know this is the UK and that is wishful thinking). Not so good for the Rugby or Football players but great for the fans maybe if everything just gets pushed back a bit. Looks like there will also be an F1 race every 2 weeks minimum to catch up the calendar too : )

MarleyWasp 13 March, 2020 11:04
Given a significant amount of Premiership Rugby contracts are due to expire at the end of June I'm not sure the club season can practically be extended by more than a week.

horusthewasp 13 March, 2020 11:10
Premier League and Football League are set to suspend fixtures until at least 4 April, BBC Sport editor Dan Roan reports. I imagine it wonít be too long before the same gets announced for rugby.

ukms 13 March, 2020 11:28
Quote:
horusthewasp
Premier League and Football League are set to suspend fixtures until at least 4 April, BBC Sport editor Dan Roan reports. I imagine it wonít be too long before the same gets announced for rugby.

Likely to happen if teams or staff start being impacted as has happened in soccer.

ukms 13 March, 2020 11:34
Quote:
Dazthelion
Now hereís a question: if this season is declared null and void due to Coronavirus, do Saracens avoid relegation and play in the Prem again next season?

I would doubt it would be null and void .... common sense would say that all games would be postponed and whatever the rules say about the result of a postponed game would stand.

Of course that might be common sense but who knows smiling smiley

wombles222 13 March, 2020 11:35
Finish the season now!!!!! we qualify for the HC and get our new DOR and team together to prepare for a full on battle for silverwear next season...with no injuries!!! (Sm100)
In seriousness, i imagine what fixtures are suspended could be moved to be played on rest weeks or when the european ties are being played. Probably more staggered with an occasional midweek game thrown in. All of it is resolvable though.

Heathen 13 March, 2020 11:42
It will get worse before it gets better! Lockdown is a possibility.

DrHankPym(superhero) 13 March, 2020 12:07
Quote:
wombles222
Finish the season now!!!!! we qualify for the HC and get our new DOR and team together to prepare for a full on battle for silverwear next season...with no injuries!!! (Sm100) In seriousness, i imagine what fixtures are suspended could be moved to be played on rest weeks or when the european ties are being played. Probably more staggered with an occasional midweek game thrown in. All of it is resolvable though.

Interesting to see when/if 'The Clash' game at Twickers is rearranged to. I bought my ticket ages ago, not sure I can make a mid week fixture (not that that is likely for Twickers matches).

wombles222 13 March, 2020 12:10
Quote:
Heathen
It will get worse before it gets better! Lockdown is a possibility.

As a medic in the NHS (primary care) everyone elses lockdown will equal me still going to work as per! (Sm126)

Petergwilson 13 March, 2020 12:17
We are testing our Business Continuity plan now. Certain parts of the business are taking a day working from home to see if there are any issues. If we have to implement it they will all be allowed to work from home. Unfortunately it does depend on the IT team being at work. Great. I could work from home but it is difficult to sort out hardware failures, network patching etc. from home when the servers rooms aren't at home.
At least the tubes aren't as packed now. Sometimes I can even get a seat.

Do sympathise with any healthcare worker having to be around sick people all day / night but it does kinda come with the territory. Stay safe.

SimonG19 13 March, 2020 13:02
Quote:
MarleyWasp

We might have to sack the attack coaches then!

westwaleswasp 13 March, 2020 14:09
Quote:
DrHankPym(superhero)
Quote:
MarleyWasp

That seems most likely, if slightly rubbish. I think the bigger issue might be for Prem clubs loss of revenue with no footfall of folks buying stuff from the ground on matchdays.

I'm wondering whether that's the reason Boris is pushing the "carry on as normal" narrative.

The first ministers of Wales and Scotland are also pushing the same narrative. We have no pro 14, but Wales Scotland is on.

PhilH 13 March, 2020 14:23
Quote:
westwaleswasp
Quote:
DrHankPym(superhero)
Quote:
MarleyWasp

The first ministers of Wales and Scotland are also pushing the same narrative. We have no pro 14, but Wales Scotland is on.

Well itís not now!

DrHankPym(superhero) 13 March, 2020 14:47
Cheltenham still happening, lots of rugby players there this week. Seems like a number of Wasps players there today.

So many mixed messages from different sports.

westwaleswasp 13 March, 2020 15:08
Quote:
PhilH
Quote:
westwaleswasp
Quote:
DrHankPym(superhero)
Quote:
MarleyWasp

Well itís not now!

Yep, out of date in minutes...............

Matt82 13 March, 2020 17:19
I can see rfu taking the same stance as premier league and putting a hold on the season. Iím not sure how many break weeks there are left but they may try and fit whatever postponed games there might be into those weekends

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net