Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Players’ wages slashed by 25%...
Discussion started by DuncanS , 19 March, 2020 21:40
Players’ wages slashed by 25%...
DuncanS 19 March, 2020 21:40
...due to Covid19. Glaws have done it and others (including us) rumoured to be following suit. Players not happy. Turbulent times ahead.

Re: Players’ wages slashed by 25%...
COYW15 19 March, 2020 22:03
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Premiership clubs are preparing to ask players to take a 25 per cent paycut because of the financial
effects of the coronavirus outbreak, Telegraph Sport has learned.

Both Gloucester and Sale Sharks have called staff meetings for Friday in which they will outline the radical measures and it is believed up to seven other clubs, including Harlequins, Leicester and Wasps, are prepared to follow suit. Docking any wages would constitute a breach of contract and so players would have to agree to the proposal.

It is understood the clubs will argue that if they do not enact radical measures then they may struggle to stay afloat. At present, the next four rounds of league matches have been suspended, although the chances of the Premiership resuming as scheduled on April 24 appear increasingly remote.

Premiership clubs can ill afford to lose many further matches. Lance Bradley, the Gloucester chief executive who held a meeting with the senior playing group yesterday, last week told Telegraph Sport that matchday revenues make up 25-30 per cent of the club’s income. Bradley also said the prospect of cancellations or behind-closed-doors games would have a “dramatic impact on our finances.”

More bluntly a Gloucester playing source was told with no revenue coming in “they are going to be f-----d pretty quickly”. That situation is replicated throughout the league, which lost a collective £50million in the last financial year. Telegraph Sport also understands that clubs’ central funding from Premiership Funding has been cut by a quarter this week, which may reflect the demand for players to have their wages docked by 25%.

However, many players are asking what happened to the £13.5 million each club received from CVC’s takeover of Premiership Rugby last year. An emergency call of the Rugby Players’ Association’s players board was held on Thursday. The players’ union will hold further talks today as further detail of the clubs’ demands comes to light.

Geewhiz50 20 March, 2020 12:11
Taking a pragmatic view - 75% is better than zero!
The players should realise that these are extremely unusual times and everyone is suffering in some manner. Compare the players position with that of the health professionals who are working extra-long hours in great difficulty and when they visit the food stores the shelves are empty.
Not much sympathy from me I'm afraid but that's my view and others will probably disagree.

ukms 20 March, 2020 12:30
Quote:
Geewhiz50
Taking a pragmatic view - 75% is better than zero!
The players should realise that these are extremely unusual times and everyone is suffering in some manner. Compare the players position with that of the health professionals who are working extra-long hours in great difficulty and when they visit the food stores the shelves are empty.
Not much sympathy from me I'm afraid but that's my view and others will probably disagree.

Likewise zero sympathy from me if the players start fighting contracts to protect their 6 or 7 figure salaries. There are many worldwide who live hand to mouth and now have no job or are on unpaid leave.

They could also find themselves in a position where they are out of work with no rugby and no new lucrative contracts being waved under their nose.

All of that said Im quite sure that most will do the right and sensible thing !

DuncanS 20 March, 2020 13:02
Club email suggests the players and coaches took it well.

Al from Cov 20 March, 2020 13:26
AN OPEN LETTER TO FANS, PARTNERS AND COMMUNITY FROM OUR CEO STEPHEN VAUGHAN

As everyone is aware, we are living through extraordinary times and none of us can predict the future or speculate when the current situation will end.

As a club and business, we are having to make difficult decisions to navigate these unchartered waters and ensure the Club is in a position to continue its exciting journey when we come through this global emergency.

We would all love the season to be back underway immediately, but all Rugby activities are currently suspended and there are no guarantees as to when we might start playing again. In light of the latest advice and information from the Government, along with the pattern of escalation we have seen in the last few days, businesses around the world are being heavily impacted and we, Wasps, are no different.

With this in mind, we need to take some extremely difficult and significant action to reduce costs immediately so we can resume doing what we love when this is all over. The impact of these decisions is going to be felt across the whole business.

Having discussed this situation at length with my colleagues from across the league, as well as Premiership Rugby, we are putting in place salary reductions of 25 per cent across the majority of the Rugby department until we are playing Gallagher Premiership matches again. These measures will take effect from 1 April 2020. A number of lower paid staff will be excluded from these salary reductions.

I spoke with Lee Blackett and senior members of the playing squad last night, and we then communicated this message to the wider team and colleagues. I could not be more proud of their response, understanding and determination to help the Club in such testing times. The same is true of the players’ efforts to support our wider community stay connected and keep talking, which I am sure you will be aware of.

These are extraordinary times which call for extraordinary and robust measures. We do not know with any certainty how long these reductions will be in place, but we will review the situation on an ongoing basis and continue to keep the entire Wasps family up to date with developments.

This great Club has a proud history spanning over 150 years and, with everyone working together, we will ensure it has a great future.

Geewhiz50 20 March, 2020 14:15
Just the response I would have expected from our squad - it's good to know that the staff and players also support our theme - ONCE A WASP, ALWAYS A WASP[:wor kid:]

ROLLO 20 March, 2020 14:40
Bristol, Bath and Sarries unaffected apparaently. There is a surprise.

Neverwas 20 March, 2020 16:45
So to anyone who doubted it & had 'no sympathy with the players' - remember they havent asked for sympathy - & we now know they are doing the right thing & taking the cut.

1876-Fez 20 March, 2020 16:52
Quote:
ROLLO
Bristol, Bath and Sarries unaffected apparaently. There is a surprise.

Saracens 25% cut except for staff and players except lower paid, a difficult time for ALL clubs and staff also for all society...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

bigfecker 21 March, 2020 08:18
The interesting part is when the 100% comes back in. It is being reported that 100% only when matches start again, not when training starts. This may be a bone of contention with the players.

SimonG19 21 March, 2020 14:14
Quote:
bigfecker
The interesting part is when the 100% comes back in. It is being reported that 100% only when matches start again, not when training starts. This may be a bone of contention with the players.

It might be but I hope they have a look around them and see how other people are struggling and then think again.

neils 21 March, 2020 16:00
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
bigfecker

It might be but I hope they have a look around them and see how other people are struggling and then think again.

To be honest Brad in his BBC interview did intimate that as players they were considerably better off than some.

StonedWasp 21 March, 2020 23:32
Concur. Two of my friends were asked to take 4 Months unpaid leave, or losing their job. They would jump at the chance of 25% pay cut.

Club, Country & Wife

kentwasp1 22 March, 2020 16:19
That's all very well and right, but still leaves the clubs utterly exposed. Even if the club can use the Boris £2.5k max support, the players are on far more than that and so it's a finger in the dyke that will burst.

But more than the players, the blazers like Eastwood and all his many CEO's at Wasps should take a huge pay bath - bet they don't

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net