Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Idea for European Cup next season if league not played out this season.
Discussion started by wombles222 , 20 March, 2020 07:53
Idea for European Cup next season if league not played out this season.
wombles222 20 March, 2020 07:53
If we get to a point where the leagues are called for this season I am sure one of the fall outs would be qualification for the Champions or challenge cups. Therefore why not have for one season one tournament for all teams simply called The European Cup.

You could have 10 groups of 4 teams which would equate to the usual 6 matches each. Post this the top teams in their group and the 6 best runners up go into a round of 16 which only adds one more round before you enter the 1/4s, Semis and final.

This would solve the problems of the league not starting and prevent problems with those not currently in the qualifying for the top tier tournament. I for one would love to see this as a answer if we cannot finish the leagues this year.

Re: Idea for European Cup next season if league not played out this season.
Trev's Big Tackle 20 March, 2020 09:26
Good idea. Would be huge!!

Who would be promoted from the Championship to take Saracheats place?

wombles222 20 March, 2020 11:38
Gotta be Falcons Trev! M
ore European rugby in the North with both Sale and Newcastle would be great for the game!

Geewhiz50 20 March, 2020 12:56
Only one problem Wombles - it's a sensible solution!(Sm128)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2020 12:57 by Geewhiz50.

ClaretAndBlueWasp 21 March, 2020 14:00
I like the idea of putting everyone into the competition but Id make it a straight knock out. Im not sure on the numbers so there might need to be a preliminary round. No seeds, just luck of the draw. Less games and cup upsets.

wombles222 21 March, 2020 18:06
Knock out would be fun, however a full set of group games would give all the teams 3 home games to get revenue (and I have a funny feeling post this lockdown attendances will be up!). Given that the weekends are already set aside for Europe finding one weekend for the "round of 16" would be very doable....and I must admit I would love watching the groups evolve and then on round 6 watch all the possible permiatations for the knocks outs come to fruition!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net