Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

The morning after - how to beat Exeter
Discussion started by kentwasp1 , 11 October, 2020 08:25
The morning after - how to beat Exeter
kentwasp1 11 October, 2020 08:25
Ok so we've all sobered up. What a fantastic day, makes you so glad rugby was invented

It's a nice problem to have but how the hell do you beat Exeter? Bath I thought were full of purpose and attacked as much as they could, but was like peas pinging off a Tiger tank that is the Exeter behemoths. They did not put a dent in the Exeter machine

We have to try to avoid getting dragged into a dour forward arm wrestle. Try to run at them like we did against Daly's mates at AP and rattle them

Whatever happens, sad I can't be at HQ for this re-run of 2017 when I was. Heartbreak day - losing the game twice in one afternoon

Re: The morning after - how to beat Exeter
Simple Simon For Nothing 11 October, 2020 09:13
Score more tries than them, it sounds so simple.

Worcswasp 11 October, 2020 09:18
Good morning Kent. Indeed what a great problem to have. Easier said than done but once the Chiefs are in opposition 22 they cause carnage. I believed we were excellent in our forward play yesterday, knowing when and where not to compete. I like to see sides challenge at line outs and not just set for the maul......... I also feel that TT is hitting his mark so we are getting quicker ball from our own line outs. Also Brookes is lasting longing in play and iiMO is world class at the minute. Finally we need a referee that will allow our back row and Joe to challenge at the breakdown. ......Basically, keep em out. Simples!

wombles222 11 October, 2020 09:19
How do you solve a problem like Exeter. I am going to focus on one area at present, the conversion rate and pick and drive strategy once in the oppositions 22, particularly the 5 metre zone and there effectiveness there.

I have noted with interest that most teams can withstand multiple phases by tackling the carrier. However I have been focusing on the actions after this. There are multiple attempts at Jackling, but either the ruck is formed or the player is cleared out by one or two Chiefs players. What I have not seen is an immediate counter ruck. Chiefs supporting players must stay on their feet to protect ruck ball, however I have not seen one side have 2-3 defenders forcefully counter ruck. If you have 2 Ďpodsí, one to sack the carrier and the supporting player they love to have latched on, then immediately have a second pod counter ruck rather than Jackle it is possible to stop this multi phase game. Chiefs will either have to commit further players in to secure ruck ball, thus slowing the play and reducing their options to continue this, may be forced to go off their feet and sealing the ball which will earn a pen, or equally be tucked backwards allowing for turnover ball.

This is all theoretical and easier said than done, but it is a plan.

ricohchezwasp 11 October, 2020 13:40
Hope they party after winning next week get French COVID and we win by default &#128516;&#128516;

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Heathen 11 October, 2020 13:45
As the game is in Bristol, I fancy they will head straight back down the M5 post match.

horusthewasp 11 October, 2020 14:49
Good to see Italy and Wales agreeing to let Minozzi and Rowlands take part in the final. Would of been quite cruel otherwise.

Minozzi:
[www.coventrytelegraph.net]

Rowlands:
[www.walesonline.co.uk]

East Terrace_Exe_Chief 11 October, 2020 16:08
Quote:
ricohchezwasp
Hope they party after winning next week get French COVID and we win by default &#128516;&#128516;

What a Disgusting comment to make. Hopefully we do win the euro Cup and celebrate that, but to wish covid upon someone is very poor form.

RossM 11 October, 2020 16:36
Quote:
East Terrace_Exe_Chief
Quote:
ricohchezwasp

What a Disgusting comment to make. Hopefully we do win the euro Cup and celebrate that, but to wish covid upon someone is very poor form.

I don't think this was meant to be taken seriously even if it could be said to be in somewhat poor taste. Like you I haven't a clue what &#128516;&#128516 mean but I suspect they were at least a couple of smileys posted from some kind of device.
I am sure ricohchez does not want to win the trophy by default.

greenwood 11 October, 2020 16:43
As a person who has had to defend himself to others over things that I've written, I'd be interested to hear from ricohchezwasp and then we can discuss..

SK 88 11 October, 2020 16:51
Looking at previous finals the key to beating Exeter is getting more than a score ahead and then keeping your discipline so they can't kick pens deep into your 22 and start their pick and go game.

Realistically they're going to do that at least twice, so you need to score 3-4 tries. I wouldn't kick at goal unless its to go to an 8 point lead, or obviously right towards the end (last 5 mins) to take the lead. Even in the 74th minute I'd go to touch with a penalty I think.

If you can get the buffer Exeter sometimes try to chase the game too much, and then you can try to pick them off with your pace on the outside and Robson following up through the middle.

Wombles idea on how to dsrupt the pick and go is good, one way Exeter are hard to stop is they do the pick and go at a really high pace, so slowing them down will help the defence no end too.

ricohchezwasp 11 October, 2020 18:12
Clearly itís been a long time since I upset someone on here, so apologies to all concerned , that was clearly not the intention of my post but an honest assessment of our chances rather than wishing the dreadful Covid -19 on anybody. I will be supporting Exeter against Toulon and only hope they are given a serious match which may help our chances the following week. The best two teams are in the final and an interesting battle between two different styles of play ...... yes of course there were smileys.......Covid is still not going away, too many peeps are not taking it seriously enough.... which I guess is rather ironic with my match assessment....but my recent two week quarantine shows I do take it seriously and can only hope the end is in sight ...... sorry one again for my unintended offence

Hangover 11 October, 2020 18:18
I said I wasn't going to say it again - but maybe just one more time.
You have to cut out all the stupid penalties to stop giving lineout field position. Also, you need to get into Luke C-Ds head very early in the game. Get a lighter jumper (Brad / Willis) at the front of the lineout, boost him up so LC-D has to throw over him - not his forte at all. If they are 5 metres out forget letting them take the ball and land as they Will score. You must get some bodies in the air and at least make it 'bad ball'. Do something different, mix it up - 'the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result' .
Oh, let JWillis do his thing, play with enormous passion, power and precision and hope Exeter have a slightly off day ;-) Should be brilliant COYW (Sm128)

ricohchezwasp 11 October, 2020 18:40
Finding touch when we get a penalty is something we have been quite poor at recently. Perhaps Jimmy should take over that responsibility......

DrHankPym(superhero) 11 October, 2020 19:02
Quote:
Simple Simon For Nothing
Score more tries than them, it sounds so simple.

We'd still lose on the penalty count, probably.

I'd say we'd need to keep our discipline, not give away any silly penalties and take our chances when we're presented with them.

Won't be easy though and Exeter start as favourites. Anyhoo we have two weeks, let's hope the team all fit and well rested by then.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

clalan 11 October, 2020 19:03
Just believe in your coaches and your play, trying to adjust your game to nullify us is madness.
If you watch enough Chiefs which obviously I have, we are more than pen, line out and catch and drive. But if the opportunity is there all teams take it. Bristol used 13 men drive to score against you, a move Lam complained that we used against them after one match.
It will be a cracking final, we have learned and evolved so much since our last meeting, but so have you.
Letís enjoy it
I took the Covid thing as a joke as well, itís your board I am a guest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net