Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
European Champions Cup
Discussion started by Andy1210 , 17 October, 2020 22:58
European Champions Cup
Andy1210 17 October, 2020 22:58
Congratulations to Chiefs on their win. Itís the ultimate prize and they have worked hard to get to being the best club side in the Northern Hemisphere.

Watching the game though, I really donít understand the commentators waxing lyrical about Finn Russell. I thought he had an absolute shocker and the way he plays was found out at the highest level. A great long pass for a Racing try in the first half, but he handed Chiefs three tries on a plate through some absolute howlers - a more steady 10 and Racing would have won. On top of that he curtailed some decent overlaps and opportunities with poor passing and kicking from hand. Too flaky to be a top tier 10.

Thereís no doubt that Exeter are absolutely supreme at the basics - I donít think Iíve ever seen a side so brilliant at not making mistakes when they are in possession. Personally I find it a bit deflating that itís so easy to dominate European rugby with such a one dimensional style based on forward play and physicality, but there are few sides that can do it so perfectly.

It probably explains why the World Cup has remained in the Southern Hemisphere for its entire existence apart from four years from 2003, because you need a little more creativity in the backs to open up a defensive line and keep a side honest. Chiefs had the supreme forwards based game, whilst Racing were average in both the forwards and backs, and Russell wasnít up to the pressure Exeter put on him.

Re: European Champions Cup
Buzzboy 18 October, 2020 06:59
Congratulations to Exeter, and Iíve been over to Ďtheir placeí on here to say so. Iíd be happy if England played the Exeter way and won the next RWC!
Russell is a maverick for sure. Maybe he can be coached to do more of the good and less of the bad. Warren could do it!
He is a game changer for sure...
I hope Wasps were watching, (Iím certain they were!) to see how Exeter can be unpicked. Not easy, but can they perform like that 2 weeks running? I remember Wasps putting in a drab display against Bath in 2004, the week after winning the Heineken Cup against Toulouse. Happy days! Was there for both.
We hope that Exeter are still hungover next week and that we are clear of Covid cases, to be able to play. I bet thereís a few sore heads down that way this morning.
But WELL DONE EX! A West Country double. Les Frogs were beaten in both games. Great for English rugby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/10/2020 07:03 by Buzzboy.

wombles222 18 October, 2020 07:05
I am always baffled by those that criticise Exeterís approach. Yes it is not the quick flare play that we have become associated with, but there is more ways to skin a cat, and the old adage that forwards win you games is as true today as it has ever been. Rugby at its core has been about winning the Physical and gain line battle, Exeter have done that and have done it honestly (a certain team that has fallen from grace could do well to learn this lesson). I have nothing but admiration to what Baxter and Chiefs have achieved, they have stuck to their plan, some may see it as Ďbasicí but I assure you it is not, and they are a devilishly difficult team to beat, they deserve all the plaudits and I genuinely was pleased for them, their club and their supporters when they lifted the European trophy last night.

greenwood 18 October, 2020 08:08
Bet RC92 regret not attempting the 3 pointer in the final 10 mins

John Tee 18 October, 2020 08:16
Yep...a drop goal in front of the posts and then that would have needed a score from 14 men.
Enjoyed the second half though, didn't see the first.

Hangover 18 October, 2020 09:27
Wombles and Greenwood +1

ps so glad that Owens finally woke up to the dragging down of the rolling maul - he let Racing away with two blatant ones then pinged them twice. Teams are always doing it to us and get away with it.

kentwasp1 18 October, 2020 09:55
Well done Exeter. Titanic clash and lumps taken out of each other
Bring on Saturday!

hodges 18 October, 2020 12:23
Talk about literally chucking it away.
Racing could not have deamed up a plan more likely to fail against a well drilled and disciplined side such as Exeter.
As LD said the Chiefs remind me so much of the Wasps double winning team-a combination of club stalwarts,long term signings and the addition of top talent-Gray,Hogg-when and where required.All brought together by pragmatic coaching.
A dynasty??I doubt it,but a fantstic effort and a template for other teams to follow.

Hopefully,we can make next week a cracking occasion

SimonG19 18 October, 2020 12:51
Guess who can hardly bring themselves to congratulate Exeter?
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

I suppose it's difficult for them to applaud anything done honestly.

Barty II 18 October, 2020 14:03
Quote:
SimonG19
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

Not sure what you're reading but aside from one muppet I see many people saying congratulations on that thread, and many other Sarries fans doing so on Exeter's board. Quite sad to see that for some reason you feel the need to make every thread about Saracens and the fans. Not everything needs to be about us, this is a very unhealthy obsession you have.

Having finally caught the highlights, Exeter played brilliantly, and thoroughly deserved it. Been an incredibly story rising through the leagues for them.

1876-Fez 18 October, 2020 14:58
Quote:
Barty II
Quote:
SimonG19
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

Not sure what you're reading but aside from one muppet I see many people saying congratulations on that thread, and many other Sarries fans doing so on Exeter's board. Quite sad to see that for some reason you feel the need to make every thread about Saracens and the fans. Not everything needs to be about us, this is a very unhealthy obsession you have.

Having finally caught the highlights, Exeter played brilliantly, and thoroughly deserved it. Been an incredibly story rising through the leagues for them.

BartyII, yes unfortunately we all have the odd one but as you say on our board and Chiefs nearly all congratulations from Saracens supporters. I'm afraid this Simon person pops up all over the boards "saracens bashing", yes I know some say we deserve it but as his post here shows some are just not fact based.

Best wishes for next week...... (I hope this is not seen by some as Anti Chiefs!!).

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

ukms 18 October, 2020 16:26
Quote:
SimonG19
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

Simon why donít you direct any issues you have with Sarries to the Sarries board ? ..... instead of regularly introducing the topic on here in isolation into threads which seemingly have nothing to do with Sarries, appreciate you are free to say what you want but it does become a bit tiresome and quite frankly switches people off !

bigfecker 18 October, 2020 16:35
Congrats to the Chiefs.

I was hartened, as they look very vunerable at 13 and the wings. Nowell really does lack pace and Tom O'Flaherty can't position or defend. The outside centre over commits too early, you can take him on the inside and he lacks real pace. This is how I would attack Chiefs, move the ball quickly to the outside.

kentwasp1 18 October, 2020 19:11
Quote:
ukms
Quote:
SimonG19
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

Simon why donít you direct any issues you have with Sarries to the Sarries board ? ..... instead of regularly introducing the topic on here in isolation into threads which seemingly have nothing to do with Sarries, appreciate you are free to say what you want but it does become a bit tiresome and quite frankly switches people off !

Most of us are banned from their site for that sort of impertinence
(Sm100)

But seriously, I think it's mostly posters like Nosher and AB who demean them and loads of decent Sarries fans there.

Personally I have Sarries mates and with all the @#$%& going on I hope we can all grasp the olive branch / tray of beers / love of rugby and once the dust has settled, regroup.

ukms 18 October, 2020 19:47
Quote:
kentwasp1
Quote:
ukms
Quote:
SimonG19
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

(Sm100)

But seriously, I think it's mostly posters like Nosher and AB who demean them and loads of decent Sarries fans there.

Personally I have Sarries mates and with all the @#$%& going on I hope we can all grasp the olive branch / tray of beers / love of rugby and once the dust has settled, regroup.

Completely agree Kent .... but some on here make that difficult and donít seem to want to allow others to move on !

SimonG19 19 October, 2020 11:01
Quote:
kentwasp1
Quote:
ukms
Quote:
SimonG19
[www.rugbynetwork.net]

(Sm100)

Exactly. Post a contrary view there and you are banned.

There are very many decent Cheats fans out there just very few on their message board.

They have probably been banned too!

PS: At the time I posted over half of the posts on the thread had been rubbishing Exeter's win. Those are the "facts" which some want to ignore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/10/2020 11:07 by SimonG19.

John Tee 19 October, 2020 12:18
Indeed...a contrary post gets a ban...
Many boards are echo chambers to various degrees but that one throws out bans very quickly.

Marlow Nick 19 October, 2020 17:29
So far I've managed to avoid a ban. I've been criticised for not letting it drop and not listening to their explanations and justifications but so far it's been civil and I never start a discussion just jump in if I see a post I fundamentally disagree with

Egg Timer 20 October, 2020 07:50
I posted there last week - nothing detrimental, jst welcoming them to the Championship as a Coventry supporter, but that disappeared.

John Tee 20 October, 2020 17:02
That did raise a chuckle....
not sure whoever mods that board covers themselves very well, tbh.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net