Latest news:

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Paddy Jackson
HMRH 17 May, 2019 14:25
Looking for something that isnít there in my view.

Youíll have a pint?

Fairly sure I will

= a pint

Two dimensions when printed.

Griff 17 May, 2019 14:40
Depends on the context surely?

"You sure this rector won't meltdown if we do that?"

"Fairly sure."

<I'm not doing it...>

GHA 17 May, 2019 15:00
Depends on who he is being asked to speak for as well, i.e. more than just himself

'I'm fairly sure weíre comfortable...'

He can't be 100% certain for absolutely everybody.

Nothing to see here

Conorbay 17 May, 2019 15:01
Yes thereís a world of difference between pub chat and a CEO undertaking a very serious interview with a national newspaper.

Perhaps it was just a poor choice of words but it is odd and as such picked up by the journalist who used the two word quote in the title of the article.

GHA 17 May, 2019 15:08
The title of the article replicates what you're doing

Quote:
Something rather more formal and convincing than ďfairly sureĒ which makes one think that although he approved the cheque he wasnít entirely convinced by the proposition.

He wasn't speaking solely on his own behalf. He could've been a million per cent convinced by the proposition, but he can't say the same for absolutely everyone.

HMRH 17 May, 2019 15:27
Youíre digging mate - nothing there. Too high risk a decision - maybe poor choice of words but thereís nothing to dig for

Florida 17 May, 2019 15:35
Fairly sure = based on all the information we currently have to hand we believe it's all good, but we'll know for certain when he rocks up for preseason.

SirBurger 17 May, 2019 16:20
Quote:
Conorbay
Yes thereís a world of difference between pub chat and a CEO undertaking a very serious interview with a national newspaper.
Perhaps it was just a poor choice of words but it is odd and as such picked up by the journalist who used the two word quote in the title of the article.

Very odd for journalists to take words out of context in order to get a headline...

Lincs-Exile 17 May, 2019 16:21
You can tell its the end of the season when people are posting about "fairly sure" ,we could do with a very dodgy rumour !! That should get the keyboards buzzing pity i can't think of one !

LI Bohemian 17 May, 2019 17:40
I feel we should have a pole:-
Certain
Fairly certain
Pretty much certain
There or there abouts certain
Probably but not a 100% certain
I would be, but not talking for all, certain
Uncertain

bigbitty 17 May, 2019 17:59
Quote:
LI Bohemian
I feel we should have a pole:-
Certain
Fairly certain
Pretty much certain
There or there abouts certain
Probably but not a 100% certain
I would be, but not talking for all, certain
Uncertain

And how should we dance around this pole?
Mincingly
Tentatively
Lead footedly
Traipsily
Delicately
Stompingly

LI Bohemian 17 May, 2019 18:05
Fairly certain tentatively

Lincs-Exile 17 May, 2019 18:25
Thats better although i'm certainly uncertain tentatively ?

Johnswlondon 18 May, 2019 17:57
I am amazed there is any support for this guy at all - this isnít about rugby itís about decency and respect. Iíve supported Irish for 40 years and I donít want him to play for us

Margin_Walker 18 May, 2019 18:11
Quote:
Johnswlondon
I am amazed there is any support for this guy at all - this isnít about rugby itís about decency and respect. Iíve supported Irish for 40 years and I donít want him to play for us

One WhatsApp message (by no means the worst of those reported) enough for him to lose his career for you?

Genuine question.

GHA 18 May, 2019 18:14
Good question M_W, I read the WhatsApp messages the other day and like you said, PJ's single message was nowhere near the most indecent or disrespectful

Bazzo 18 May, 2019 19:35
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Quote:
Johnswlondon

One WhatsApp message (by no means the worst of those reported) enough for him to lose his career for you?

Genuine question.

Why is it just about one whatís App message? The reservation For me is his general behavior in the incident that he was put on trial for. He is definitely not guilty of a crime as he has been found innocent and of course he should be allowed to carry on with a career, but his behavior which is public knowledge now does not display great character. I am sorry but it does not, in particular a lack of an immediate apology for the unfortunate incident that happened.

He can of course carry on with life, but do not keep pushing him forward as some kind of person who is being wronged by public opinion. He did something that he has to live with forever and he will probably be remembered for that more than his rugby. I genuinely wish him the best and hope that he plays great for us and that his behavior is impeccable going forward, but we are giving him a heck of an opportunity here. I will be supporting the club but it will take some convincing for me to shout for this player. He has to do a lot more to win me over.

GHA 18 May, 2019 21:38
An immediate apology before the trial, Bazzo?

Quote:
Probably remembered for that more than his rugby

Haskell seems to have done OK - although obviously his transgression didn't involve a court case

Margin_Walker 18 May, 2019 22:14
That's the issue for me though Bazzo, I'm genuinely interested in what about his general behaviour makes him unfit to represent the club, given that we've established he's not guilty of the crime he was charged with.

Because after that you're left with a whatsapp message and with him displaying the kind of womanising behaviour at the time that's not particularly uncommon in a professional sport environment. For what it's worth, it's not something I find massively tasteful, but we'd be naive to believe that there weren't more than a few players that had passed through our club at various points who have behaved in a similar manner. I can think of one club legend who got in a bit of bother on tour in his younger days and people don't seem to have had an issue supporting him.

And yes. Assuming he vehemently believed himself to be innocent of what he was accused of, I personally don't think his lack of an apology before the trial should be held against him.

Bazzo 18 May, 2019 22:57
Quote:
Margin_Walker
That's the issue for me though Bazzo, I'm genuinely interested in what about his general behaviour makes him unfit to represent the club, given that we've established he's not guilty of the crime he was charged with.
Because after that you're left with a whatsapp message and with him displaying the kind of womanising behaviour at the time that's not particularly uncommon in a professional sport environment. For what it's worth, it's not something I find massively tasteful, but we'd be naive to believe that there weren't more than a few players that had passed through our club at various points who have behaved in a similar manner. I can think of one club legend who got in a bit of bother on tour in his younger days and people don't seem to have had an issue supporting him.

And yes. Assuming he vehemently believed himself to be innocent of what he was accused of, I personally don't think his lack of an apology before the trial should be held against him.

I genuinely do not want to be going into this in depth.

His behavior that I refer to is what he and his former team mate did to a young woman. She felt violated enough to bring them to court. Lots of rugby players may have done something similar, but they were obviously not caught or taken to court over it, I will bow to your greater knowledge on such things. As Iíve said previously, he was found not guilty of a crime, but nevertheless it was not great behavior.

I never said before the trial that he should apologise..... The other person involved, Olding, apologised outside the court as I understand it on the day that they were acquitted, Jackson did not. He did so much later after public outcry. This is what I was referring to. With these kind of incidents, bad behavior etc I do think that they stay with you forever. Letís put it this way when someone mentions Tom Williams.... what will he be most remembered for? Great Rugby player or something else?

Florida 19 May, 2019 00:04
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Margin_Walker

His behavior that I refer to is what he and his former team mate did to a young woman. She felt violated enough to bring them to court. Lots of rugby players may have done something similar, but they were obviously not caught or taken to court over it, I will bow to your greater knowledge on such things. As Iíve said previously, he was found not guilty of a crime, but nevertheless it was not great behavior.

I never said before the trial that he should apologise..... The other person involved, Olding, apologised outside the court as I understand it on the day that they were acquitted, Jackson did not. He did so much later after public outcry. This is what I was referring to. With these kind of incidents, bad behavior etc I do think that they stay with you forever. Letís put it this way when someone mentions Tom Williams.... what will he be most remembered for? Great Rugby player or something else?

May I ask what is your opinion of Tuilagi (Manu) and what do you think he'll be remembered for?

Bazzo 19 May, 2019 00:13
A good rugby player who sadly got injured too many times which held him back .... oh and jumping off ferries, hitting female police officers (and Chris Aston) and Dwarf tossing !

GHA 19 May, 2019 07:47
And James Haskell?

jeepers22 20 May, 2019 18:14
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Just to jump in here (I'm a Munster fan who keeps a lookout for London Irish and how you are doing).

You've hit the nail on the head here ... Paddy Jackson came out with all guns blazing after the trial whereas Olding expressed regret for what happened (even though he said he did nothing wrong and that he believed that there was consent). Paddy made claims that the only reason he was charged was because he was a high profile rugby player and that he was badly wronged. After a very long trial, it hadn't sunk in that you don't treat anyone the way he did that night (the woman left his house very upset and bleeding). Paddy also threatened to sue everyone in sight (there were protests with #suemepaddy). As far as I can recall, he actually tried to sue a politician from the ROI. He then tried to sue the courts for his legal costs. Olding was really classy in how he behaved afterwards and I think if Paddy had the humility to behave similarly he would still be with Ulster. His apology coming about a month later was far too late to repair the damage.

Deccie has a knack for finding players who have had troubles and getting repaid in spades for taking a change with them (Rua Tipoki for example who was a fine player for Munster - everyone thought Deccie was mad bringing him to Munster because of his poor discipline). He will get the best out of PJ, who hopefully has got a bit of cop-on now.

By the way, The Players Union in Ireland now run courses on behaviour, consent etc. for all Irish players since this happened.

Best of luck next season. Presumably we will see you over here for a preseason game before next season

Conorbay 20 May, 2019 21:44
Quote:
jeepers22
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Just to jump in here (I'm a Munster fan who keeps a lookout for London Irish and how you are doing).

You've hit the nail on the head here ... Paddy Jackson came out with all guns blazing after the trial whereas Olding expressed regret for what happened (even though he said he did nothing wrong and that he believed that there was consent). Paddy made claims that the only reason he was charged was because he was a high profile rugby player and that he was badly wronged. After a very long trial, it hadn't sunk in that you don't treat anyone the way he did that night (the woman left his house very upset and bleeding). Paddy also threatened to sue everyone in sight (there were protests with #suemepaddy). As far as I can recall, he actually tried to sue a politician from the ROI. He then tried to sue the courts for his legal costs. Olding was really classy in how he behaved afterwards and I think if Paddy had the humility to behave similarly he would still be with Ulster. His apology coming about a month later was far too late to repair the damage.

Deccie has a knack for finding players who have had troubles and getting repaid in spades for taking a change with them (Rua Tipoki for example who was a fine player for Munster - everyone thought Deccie was mad bringing him to Munster because of his poor discipline). He will get the best out of PJ, who hopefully has got a bit of cop-on now.

By the way, The Players Union in Ireland now run courses on behaviour, consent etc. for all Irish players since this happened.

Best of luck next season. Presumably we will see you over here for a preseason game before next season

Excellent post

Bazzo 20 May, 2019 23:00
Quote:
jeepers22
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Thank you Jeepers. Explained much better and with a lot more knowledge. It is a lack of remorse that I was referring to for a very unsavoury incident. As you say Olding acted with a lot more class. I think sadly that Jackson will be a target for a lot of people next season.

LI Bohemian 20 May, 2019 23:28
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
jeepers22
Quote:
Bazzo
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Thank you Jeepers. Explained much better and with a lot more knowledge. It is a lack of remorse that I was referring to for a very unsavoury incident. As you say Olding acted with a lot more class. I think sadly that Jackson will be a target for a lot of people next season.

Class? Really, did you read his messages?

ExiledChameleon 21 May, 2019 00:42
So just to be clear, Jackson had (what he and the courts believe to be consensual) sex with someone, and then made a totally okay WhatsApp message, and because he didn't apologise for it, whereas Olding's far worse messages can be waved away with a cheap apology?

Some absolute dribblers on here.

Clontarf 21 May, 2019 09:58
The Almighty moves in mysterious ways his wonders to perform.

From yesterday's Guardian it appears that Paddy Jackson will be sharing a changing room next season with two of Israel Folau's supporters

From yesterday's Guardian

[www.theguardian.com]

I hope the quotation below doesn't breach copyright or whatever

The Wallabies and Waratahs prop Sekope Kepu said he would miss his ďTokoĒ, which is Tongan for close friend. Kepu also reposted a comment from the former Wallabies prop Pek Cowan, who said: ďNo matter how you see it, good or bad, Aus rugby has lost a good person and player.Ē

More pointedly, the Wallabies and Waratahs centre Curtis Rona quoted a passage from the Bible referring to persecution.

ďIf the world hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you. If you belonged to the world, the world would love you as its own. Because you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world Ė therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you. ĎServants are not greater than their master.í If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also.Ē

Those boys will put manners on Paddy J

aah Bisto 21 May, 2019 10:21
I really canít see anything wrong with PJ threatening legal action against people who were insinuating that he was guilty before the verdict was handed down

jeepers22 21 May, 2019 13:12
Quote:
aah Bisto
I really canít see anything wrong with PJ threatening legal action against people who were insinuating that he was guilty before the verdict was handed down

Well, thats you! People in Ireland were generally horrified at their behaviour. I'd imagine the Provinces sponsors (Bank of Ireland, Kingspan) would have done a lot of research on how an association with rugby would have affected their brands. Added to that, RTE did research as to whether the IRFU were right to cancel their contracts (1,000 people by phone interview) and 70% said the IRFU were correct to get rid of them.

For the record, some texts were deleted and they were unable to retrieve them. As well as that, there was an awful lot of drink involved (think Olding said he had 25 drinks that day) - not professional or exemplary from sportspeople.

SirBurger 21 May, 2019 13:21
Jason Leonard, newly elected president of the Lions, has boasted about having 25 pints in one session.

jeepers22 21 May, 2019 13:33
He probably smoked 40 a day as well!

DMGM 25 May, 2019 18:01
Started on the bench this week for perpignan who can hardly be full of fly half options

jimbo800 25 May, 2019 18:17
Quote:
DMGM
Started on the bench this week for perpignan who can hardly be full of fly half options

Iíd say itís fairly common to drop players to the bench at the end of the season if you know theyíre leaving. Smith did it with a few guys when they were announced as going to Bath. Itís the perfect time to blood some new lads.

Xprop 25 May, 2019 19:49
PJ will be booed by opposition supporters at every away ground. I worry it will affect his form.

GHA 25 May, 2019 20:00
Quote:
Xprop
PJ will be booed by opposition supporters at every away ground. I worry it will affect his form.

They'll soon get bored

Lincs-Exile 25 May, 2019 20:09
I'm sure after a season on from his exit from Ulster that he won't be affected by booing by opposition supporters , he must have realised this would happen anyway. Best of luck to him in attempting to restart his career.

Bazzo 25 May, 2019 20:20
Quote:
Lincs-Exile
I'm sure after a season on from his exit from Ulster that he won't be affected by booing by opposition supporters , he must have realised this would happen anyway. Best of luck to him in attempting to restart his career.

I thought that his attempt at restarting his career after his trial was at Perpignan?

jimbo800 25 May, 2019 20:23
Maybe everyone has forgotten...
People seem to have forgiven Billy V pretty quickly, he was a hero a few weeks ago for Leinster. Gareth Thomas has said he was disappointed about how lenient the rfu were with him

Lincs-Exile 25 May, 2019 20:25
I was under the impression that was his only way to carry on playing top class rugby, only he could confirm that.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net